Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Arthur Maulet is being released

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

CB Arthur Maulet is being released

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: CB Arthur Maulet is being released

I'm sure some lucky team will snatch him up asap.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I know a certain user here who will LOVE this news.

Though in all seriousness, the dude is the classic overachiever. He plays hard and has a good attitude but he's a liability in coverage. The classic player who hangs around on the Steelers depth chart for years.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

REPORT - Steelers' Arthur Maulet Asks For Release After Dispute Over Contract

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I know a certain user here who will LOVE this news.

Though in all seriousness, the dude is the classic overachiever. He plays hard and has a good attitude but he's a liability in coverage. The classic player who hangs around on the Steelers depth chart for years.
    I bet it was me!

You know what a nickel corner that plays ONLY in run support should be called? A linebacker.

I'm sure Maulet is a great dude, but he isn't a nickel corner on a playoff caliber roster.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Was the dispute over his contract that the team wanted to stop paying him? Because I am not certain they could've done much else with his contract....

Whatever. Moving on. Now it is time for me to start shouting on the internet that they look at Pierre in the slot as well as Sullivan. Although Pierre may not be clever enough for the spot....he seems to do better when there is no thinking involved.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

This is surprising.

Over a contract? who does Maulet think he is?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

There was talk about Patrick Peterson moving around after he was signed, maybe the plan is for him to be the slot corner? interested to see how this plays out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm sure some lucky team will snatch him up asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    REPORT - Steelers' Arthur Maulet Asks For Release After Dispute Over Contract
    The team wanted Maulet to pay them.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Strange that there would be contract dispute with a player like Maulet. He was 2.29 against the cap. Did the Steelers ask him to restructure maybe (which would have required an extention) ?Anyways according to overthecap we save 1.79 M with 500 thousand in dead cap money.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I guarantee there is a better CB out there in the Free Agent world…

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I think this is progress for us.

The days of hanging onto sub-mediocre players on Defense because of star power is over. This is truly a new Era of Steelers football.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's nice to see them upgrading the top of the roster, but they are now looking to jettison some questionable talent at the bottom of the roster and improve the overall depth of the team.

It's nice to see some turnover and some new blood that is hopefully an upgrade in talent.

Maulet didn't play on passing downs. So....hear me out.....revolutionary concept....if you want a player to play run support and blitz off the edge of the defense....may I introduce the Steelers coaching staff to the concept of "linebackers" or "safeties"....you know positions that are traditionally dominated by players that are good in run support and decent off the blitz.

With Maulet and Allen off the roster, MAYBE the obsession with finding a DB sized player and pushing them into a LB role will chill out.

Oh. Wait. Keanu Neal is on the roster....welcome to square peg round hole town buddy!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I havent been this excited since we dropped Antwon Blake
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

The Steelers held onto clowns like Arthur Maulet, Antwon Blake, and Sean Davis because they were cheap without spending too much on depth since the Steelers were strapped with money tied up into stars. The star power could cover up for any depth deficiencies. Take away that Star power and you have seasons like 2021 and Early 2022 where the Steelers struggle to compete because they still have those crappy players but no elite talent.

The Steelers held onto clowns like Arthur Maulet, Antwon Blake, and Sean Davis because they were cheap without spending too much on depth since the Steelers were strapped with money tied up into stars. The star power could cover up for any depth deficiencies. Take away that Star power and you have seasons like 2021 and Early 2022 where the Steelers struggle to compete because they still have those crappy players but no elite talent.
    So….every team ever in the salary cap era?

The Chiefs used to feature their defensive stars having a stroke while Thornhill got torched.

The Bengals have been done in by their lack of star power at key spots.

The Rams couldn’t afford all their stars and I think a few of us might make their roster.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Maulet didn't play on passing downs. So....hear me out.....revolutionary concept....if you want a player to play run support and blitz off the edge of the defense....may I introduce the Steelers coaching staff to the concept of "linebackers" or "safeties"....you know positions that are traditionally dominated by players that are good in run support and decent off the blitz.

With Maulet and Allen off the roster, MAYBE the obsession with finding a DB sized player and pushing them into a LB role will chill out.

Oh. Wait. Keanu Neal is on the roster....welcome to square peg round hole town buddy!

They need to trade for Budda Baker. That could solve a few problems.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm not going to get excited about a player being released. If the Steelers take this opportunity to upgrade the position substantially AND maybe add quality depth behind it, THEN I will applaud this move. The way the FO has played the offseason so far, I think there might just be a move planned already. Just waiting for something official before an announcement. At least that is my hope.

Neal has been in the NFL for 1 season longer than Maulet, comes to 12 games actually. Neal has 473 tackles during his career with 21 for loss. Maulet has 183 tackles with 12 for loss. Maybe Neal becomes the SS and Kazee becomes the Nickel?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Still find it strange that he asked for his release. He is unlikely to sign for more money elsewhere at this point.

Oh well, maybe he was feeling more like a hostage than a volunteer?

I also think the reason why they held onto Maulet as a run defense guy because Devin Bush sucked at the whole Linebacker thing that they needed extra man-power to stop the run. When one guys sucks so much they keep an overmatched corner in packages so the Run Defense doesn't get gashed. The Steelers were forced to experiment and play a 7th Round RB-turned-LB in the lineup because Bush was so awful. When Bush got the boot, its made Maulet expendable.

I also think the reason why they held onto Maulet as a run defense guy because Devin Bush sucked at the whole Linebacker thing that they needed extra man-power to stop the run. When one guys sucks so much they keep an overmatched corner in packages so the Run Defense doesn't get gashed. The Steelers were forced to experiment and play a 7th Round RB-turned-LB in the lineup because Bush was so awful. When Bush got the boot, its made Maulet expendable.
    That’s a series of good points. Basically Post Shazier they’ve been trying all kinds of nonsense to get by.

Hopefully they’re reloading the roster enough to stop playing fundamentally flawed guys in roles.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

As I was repeatedly saying. He was the weakest starter. And this is why I think passing on Branch and going Porter was an error. It did not not address the weakest position on the team. And an even harder position to play and fill than Corner. I hope Branch turns out to be very average and Porter reaches elite status. I just doubt it.

zero surprise he’s gone. And I will not be the least surprised, if Peterson plays primarily inside this year. That will be interesting.
    Last edited by Dreegking; 05-11-2023 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    As I was repeatedly saying. He was the weakest starter. And this is why I think passing on Branch and going Porter was an error. It did not not adddress the weakest position position on the team.

zero surprise he’s gone. And I do t be surprised if Peterson plays primarily inside this year. That will be interesting.
    I think the signing of Sullivan during the draft indicates Khan and Co had a POTENTIAL draft plan that resulted in a nickel package capable selection. But after the first couple of rounds they realized that version wasn’t playing out.

Additionally, if Maulet requested his release, I don’t think they planned on cutting him until at least after OTAs. He likely forced their hand.

I assume they’re now “planning” on some combo of Sullivan-Norwood-Kazee being sub-package DBs with the “starting” secondary being Peterson-Porter-Neal-MFF. The intrigue is how does Wallace fit in. Or is Porter slated for a non-starting role?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think the signing of Sullivan during the draft indicates Khan and Co had a POTENTIAL draft plan that resulted in a nickel package capable selection. But after the first couple of rounds they realized that version wasn’t playing out.

Additionally, if Maulet requested his release, I don’t think they planned on cutting him until at least after OTAs. He likely forced their hand.

I assume they’re now “planning” on some combo of Sullivan-Norwood-Kazee being sub-package DBs with the “starting” secondary being Peterson-Porter-Neal-MFF. The intrigue is how does Wallace fit in. Or is Porter slated for a non-starting role?
    I think you are on to something. They had a pivot. They say that Porter was a first round projection to them. But they knew they were chasing the OT. So Porter was not expected to be a Steeler. But then He was available. And Highest on their board and they snagged him. Which means that addressing slot db was not truly in their plans either. Or maybe it was at 32. But obviously they like Porter more than Branch. I do not. But I imagine they stand a better chance of being correct than I do.
    Last edited by Dreegking; 05-12-2023 at 04:19 PM.

A wild card no one is mentioning is Cory Trice. Similar size as Porter Jr. and played Safety before moving to Corner at Purdue. Tomlin always likes his "versatile" guys.

A wild card no one is mentioning is Cory Trice. Similar size as Porter Jr. and played Safety before moving to Corner at Purdue. Tomlin always likes his "versatile" guys.
    actualky many, many are talking him up. No one is forgetting. Lol.

Just like they talked up James Pierre?