Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State #32 overall

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers select Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State #32 overall

Discuss

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Steelers select Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State #32 overall

2 biggest needs addressed in first 2 rounds, i like it
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Love it. Especially at this stage of the draft!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Awesome!

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Content with the pick.

Now trade back up and grab Branch.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora
    ·
    2m
    Steelers grab one of the best press/man corners in the draft. Pittsburgh plays as much man as nearly any team in the league.

Porter had just one pick but rare length allows him to make plays on the football. And he's a hitter with instincts to drive on the ball underneath.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Draft is an A at this point regardless of who else they pick. If they do reasonably well with the remainder of the picks, it goes to an A+.

Jones and Porter both! Wow! Kahn is off to a good start.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Daniel Jeremiah
    @MoveTheSticks
    Joey Porter Jr. to Pittsburgh makes all the sense in the world. He should be a Day 1 starter and will have a great mentor in Patrick Peterson.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Porter only gave up ONE play of more than 15 yards last year.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Loving the goose eggs on our first 2 picks!

Broderick Jones: 0 holding calls in his college CAREER

Joey Porter: 0 TD's allowed in 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He should wear #5.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Tough not to like it at this point...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Tough not to like it at this point...

You never know how this is going to turn out long-term, but it's hard to argue with anything they have done to this point. I think they've done about as well as they could have hoped to do.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Reading about Porter’s limitations. And they all scream “things Patrick Peterson” can help you with.

Honestly , my first thought after Peterson signed was draft Porter and glue him to Peterson through the off season program.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Awesome, Kahn is doing well!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Reading about Porter’s limitations. And they all scream “things Patrick Peterson” can help you with.

Honestly , my first thought after Peterson signed was draft Porter and glue him to Peterson through the off season program.

Everything about the signing of Peterson pointed to him being a mentor, or at least a leader by example to young CBs.

I know Peterson can still play, but that's the part of the signing that just made sense to me. If he can transfer his knowledge and experience to Porter Jr or any other corners, he can help them become better players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Awesome, Kahn is doing well!

Nice to see you Shoes!

We were all thinking of you when they took another TE!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Everything about the signing of Peterson pointed to him being a mentor, or at least a leader by example to young CBs.

I know Peterson can still play, but that's the part of the signing that just made sense to me. If he can transfer his knowledge and experience to Porter Jr or any other corners, he can help them become better players.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see you Shoes!

We were all thinking of you when they took another TE!
    Thanks Brother! I just listened to Missi Matthews say that on Monday Kahn was going through a list of positions that were deep in this draft and Tomlin said TE! Happy to see he is coming around!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Thanks Brother! I just listened to Missi Matthews say that on Monday Kahn was going through a list of positions that were deep in this draft and Tomlin said TE! Happy to see he is coming around!

You went years without getting a quality TE and now they're falling from the sky!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Doesn’t have the INTs but he’s got the pass break ups…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

It's more difficult at times to get picks playing press man because your eyes are on the receiver, not the quarterback. Porter is going to get more chances to play off coverages in blitz situations and within this scheme where he could keep his vision facing the QB and be able to read the quarterback's eyes and jump passes to get his hands on them. It will also allow him to fly up to tackle receivers or make deflections that turn into INT's.

I'm not saying he is going to be a turnover machine. All I'm saying is that when you play predominantly press coverage, the opportunities for INT's aren't always as plentiful. I don't think he's a natural ballhawk, but I think he will be in situations in this scheme to be more productive as a physical player that can have more opportunities for INT's or to force fumbles with his size and strength after the catch.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Prediction: He will have more career interceptions than "swaggin."

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's more difficult at times to get picks playing press man because your eyes are on the receiver, not the quarterback. Porter is going to get more chances to play off coverages in blitz situations and within this scheme where he could keep his vision facing the QB and be able to read the quarterback's eyes and jump passes to get his hands on them. It will also allow him to fly up to tackle receivers or make deflections that turn into INT's.

I'm not saying he is going to be a turnover machine. All I'm saying is that when you play predominantly press coverage, the opportunities for INT's aren't always as plentiful. I don't think he's a natural ballhawk, but I think he will be in situations in this scheme to be more productive as a physical player that can have more opportunities for INT's or to force fumbles with his size and strength after the catch.
    Correct and they also avoided him a lot which lessens the opportunities.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

And for all the talk about JPJ's slight weakness against receivers in short area quickness, he has so much strong play against slant/flat routes
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Correct and they also avoided him a lot which lessens the opportunities.

Very true.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

There were many comments after we passed up JPJ at 17. Many fans expressed anguish if he became a Raven or Brown. To them, it was very important that the son of a Steeler star not become a Raven or Bengal and we needed to pick him to make sure that doesn’t happen.

All I can say is that I understand this thinking but in then end we needed to draft JPJ because he was the BPA and whatever insight we have on him unique to us because of his dad - well that is of value also in the BPA eval process.

Someone PLEASE get Porter and Pickens mic'd up during training camp. What's the over/under on the 2 of them getting involved in a bench clearing brawl

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Prediction: He will have more career interceptions than "swaggin."
    He’s already almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He’s already almost there.