Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers trade up and select Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia #14 overall

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Steelers trade up and select Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia #14 overall

Why did we trade up? Apparently, the Jets were ready to take him ahead of us. NE* trading with us allowed them to screw over the Jets, they still got their guy at 17, and with the extra 4th round pick, Belichick will probably draft their next HOF QB. Classic Darth Hoodie.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

All this hope and then I remember that Matt Canada is still our OC.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    His hands are 10 5/8!!!

Imagine how many holding penalties you can get with those hands!!!

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

Great pick. I thought DB was the pick. Jones is long, athletic and has a mean streak. I think this pushes Moore to fight it out at RT with Chuks and that competition hopefully solidifies the right side.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I like the pick. I do believe that OFFENSE is the way to go in the future. WE NEED TO SCORE MORE POINTS !! Defense used to win games, but with the nee style of QBs { running| scoring points every possession is key. GO STEELERS

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

His hands are 10 5/8!!!
    Maybe Pickett can play LT and he can QB?

Seriously no one EVER falls in love with OL picks because they are not flashy in the trench guys, but LT is a huge position. I just hope the kid has character and a work ethic to get better that is my only concern. If you look at a lot of the kids drafted real early they all came from strong families, were well spoken and humble (at least in their interviews). Jones flashing up the peace signs ... meh but I may be reading way too much into it after watching AB melt down.

One thing is sure the Eagles are going to have an INSANE pass rush.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I like it!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I thought for sure when the trade happened that they were going to take Gonzalez. I'm happy with Brod, put would have liked Gonz too. Now that JPJ is there at 32, I'd be ecstatic if we passed on trade offers and took him. Starting LT and CB in the same draft? That's a win.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Why did we trade up? Apparently, the Jets were ready to take him ahead of us. NE* trading with us allowed them to screw over the Jets, they still got their guy at 17, and with the extra 4th round pick, Belichick will probably draft their next HOF QB. Classic Darth Hoodie.
    top 12 player in almost every credible mock I seen , my personal favorite OT in the draft have said it many times , just a kid yet Birthday is same day as mine LOL turns 22 on May 16th
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Well, I wasn't excited about the prospect of Broderick. He's a great pass blocker but struggles in run blocking and might need to play Guard in his career. It didn't seem to match what we were doing. But now that he's a Steeler, I'm his biggest fan and I hope he proves out the trust the front office has put on him!

When there's a guy, almost in reach, who matches what you're trying to do - you go up and get that guy. Now let's shore up the secondary and call it a draft.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I thought for sure when the trade happened that they were going to take Gonzalez. I'm happy with Brod, put would have liked Gonz too. Now that JPJ is there at 32, I'd be ecstatic if we passed on trade offers and took him. Starting LT and CB in the same draft? That's a win.
    I think it was a simple matter of numbers...

There are many more good CB options than OT options after the 1st round.
    If they thought OT was the biggest need, and they probably should have imo, they need to push Moore with quality competition.
    To do that after the 1st round would get very limited. Bergeron, Mauch, Breeland possibly. After that, you'd have to be very lucky and have great evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Well, I wasn't excited about the prospect of Broderick. He's a great pass blocker but struggles in run blocking and might need to play Guard in his career. It didn't seem to match what we were doing. But now that he's a Steeler, I'm his biggest fan and I hope he proves out the trust the front office has put on him!

When there's a guy, almost in reach, who matches what you're trying to do - you go up and get that guy. Now let's shore up the secondary and call it a draft.
    day 1 starter at LT period and he struggles to run block ?? I suggest you watch him play

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I've watched him play. I've seen countless Georgia games. He's a great pass blocker but struggles in run blocking, which he needs to develop or he could be forced inside. The upside here is that he's still on the young side with plenty of room for that development to occur.

This is also a pretty safe pick - as the roster currently sits they're not *desperate* for him to be a Day 1 starter, so it'll happen when he's ready. Or when someone gets hurt, of course.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I can't understand why some are disappointed in the Steelers drafting of Broderick Jones. I've heard over and over through the years coaches say that after QB, LT is the most important position on an offense. While the Steelers line improved last year, and did not look like the dumpster fire I thought it would be at the start of the season, the left side of the line seemed to be having the most problems. The Steelers likely now have a new starting LT and LG, and this could bring massive improvement across the whole offense. The last thing the Steelers likely want is for Kenny to be under constant pressure and duress, and taking a ton of hits. The Colts failed to protect Andrew Luck, and that helped send him into early retirement. This also helps Najee and the running game. How many times did we see, particularly early on last year, where Najee was getting hit in the backfield almost as soon as he touched the ball? Finally, if the offense can better sustain drives then the defense is not on the field so much, which helps them tremendously. People would talk about the defense collapsing in games last year, but I think they were just on the field way too much from all the 3 and outs, and that takes a toll as games progress into the 4th quarter.

Yeah, we still have Matt Canada as OC, and that is a concern............but he is not going to have any excuses going forward for this offense to not take a massive leap forward this upcoming season.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Here is a nice breakdown on him that might lessen some of Steelerette's concerns.

Like you said he seems to be young, raw and athletic with a lot of upside.

Did I also see somewhere that he did not allow a sack last year?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...nfl-draft-news
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I can't understand why some are disappointed in the Steelers drafting of Broderick Jones. I've heard over and over through the years coaches say that after QB, LT is the most important position on an offense. While the Steelers line improved last year, and did not look like the dumpster fire I thought it would be at the start of the season, the left side of the line seemed to be having the most problems. The Steelers likely now have a new starting LT and LG, and this could bring massive improvement across the whole offense. The last thing the Steelers likely want is for Kenny to be under constant pressure and duress, and taking a ton of hits. The Colts failed to protect Andrew Luck, and that helped send him into early retirement. This also helps Najee and the running game. How many times did we see, particularly early on last year, where Najee was getting hit in the backfield almost as soon as he touched the ball? Finally, if the offense can better sustain drives then the defense is not on the field so much, which helps them tremendously. People would talk about the defense collapsing in games last year, but I think they were just on the field way too much from all the 3 and outs, and that takes a toll as games progress into the 4th quarter.

Yeah, we still have Matt Canada as OC, and that is a concern............but he is not going to have any excuses going forward for this offense to not take a massive leap forward this upcoming season.
    I'm not disappointed at all. Just didn't perceive his set of strengths to match what we are doing. But now I'm his biggest fan. Not even against the trade-up (even though I hate giving capital to the Cheats) - if you determine someone is your guy, you go get him.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Here is a nice breakdown on him that might lessen some of Steelerette's concerns.

Like you said he seems to be young, raw and athletic with a lot of upside.

Did I also see somewhere that he did not allow a sack last year?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...nfl-draft-news
    If his technique comes together enough for him to become a solid NFL run blocker, then Dan Moore can go over to the right side, where he should be a lot more effective. Right now he has some leverage and placement issues that are going to leave run lanes susceptible to being clogged. But if it all works out, we'll likely say goodbye to Chuks' salary next offseason and be looking for another backup Tackle.

Broderick has a higher ceiling than the other OT in the draft, but that's assuming some faith in the Steelers' O-line coaching to develop him. At the very least, we're not *desperate* for him to start right away, which should help immensely.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Maybe they could have brought back Max Starks?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

My favorite stats on him...Btw,it was Moore and Dotson(not Chucks)

Broderick Jones -- 0 holding penalties, 1 false start in his collegiate career. Moore and Chuks combined for 20 penalties in 2022.

While that's a fun stat, the game is about to get a lot harder. I hope Pat Meyer is up to the task!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No sacks and no holding penalties against SEC edge rushers. Not too shabby.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I'm not disappointed at all. Just didn't perceive his set of strengths to match what we are doing. But now I'm his biggest fan. Not even against the trade-up (even though I hate giving capital to the Cheats) - if you determine someone is your guy, you go get him.
    I apologize if it seemed like I was targeting you specifically with my post. It was a more general observation. I've seen some chatter in various other threads here at Steelers Universe and other forums where some fans seem to be disappointed and can't believe the Steelers did not choose a defensive player in the 1st round.

Well, this whole offseason has been heavily focused on the O-line. The work continues, and I don't think anyone should be surprised we went OT, even if it wasn't their preference. As for the player, Broderick has a higher ceiling than Paris, but needs work on hand placement and run block leverage. Let's see if our coaching can get it done!

I have a feeling we're getting our Defensive player in... about six hours.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers trade up and select Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia #14 overall

They mentioned similar during the draft and this might be why “16 teams” passes on him…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That very well may be true. But it kinda smells like BS. I don't think players are usually at the team facility during the visit sessions. Could be wrong....but I suspect Minkah isn't even in Pittsburgh right now.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

#77 for Jones.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

He chose 77 to honor his teammate that has passed away.

Pretty cool. I am rooting even harder for him to succeed now.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Broderick allowed 0 sacks in 2022

Also only had 0 holding calls for his college CAREER. And only 1 false start penalty in 2022 to boot in a nasty conference. Wow...just wow
    Last edited by Psycho Ward 86; 05-01-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.