Thread: Trade Down Scenarios

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Trade Down Scenarios

I absolutely love where Pittsburgh is drafting right now at 17, 32, 49, 80 and 120 for the first 4 rounds. That's a lot of added talent to the roster. BUT I'm greedy, lol. The thing is, I want 2 3rd round picks if possible. Why? I would target WR Jonathan Mingo Ole Miss and S Jartavius Martin Illinois.
    DJ18, That alien from the Matrix14 and CA the 3rd. AND????? WR is really in need of someone imo as that is basically it. Sure there's Gunner, Miller and some PS guys, but I need more. Mingo would be a big slot stud. I can see him running over Marlon Humphrey and whatever DB Cincy picks in the 1st round as they usually do.
    "Quan" Martin is a sure tackler and versatile chess piece in the def backfield, what's not to love?

I thought about a couple trade down scenarios but one team sticks out. I'll go over the contenders....NYG - Going from 25 to 17 but they have a lot of the same needs so I don't think a trade is viable.
    LA Rams - ton of needs but the numbers just didn't line up to me.
    LV Raiders - need at OL and CB which sounds familiar so same as NYG.

Da' Bears...they've shown a tendency to trade in the recent past with Claypool. Yes, we basically stole that one, but there may be open lines of communication. I would hate to deal 32 back to them but what if we got back their 53rd and 64th pick? You know that pick 32 will command a very high price once teams mull over who is left on the board.

Draft may look like...
    1 (17)
    2 (49)
    2 (53)
    3 (64)
    3 (80)
    4 (120)

Pittsburgh's natural selections 1-4 remain intact and they gain an additional 3rd with the sacrifice of a higher 2nd. (32 compared to 53). And you get the overnight between day 2 and 3 to think about pick 64.

What do you think, is an extra 3rd worth going from 32 to 53? The position most affected would be OT imo.

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Trade Down Scenarios

I honestly think that trading down from 32 is the most likely option we have simply because, as you said, people will take all night looking at the board and want to trade up. If we do as you suggested I think the biggest hit would be to the potential OC position. John Michael Schmitz might be gone by 32 but he'll for sure be gone by 49. so I'd se them doing something like this and getting depth at OC instead of a future starter.

1 (17) - CB - Joey Porter Jr. - Penn St.
    2 (49) - ILB - Jack Campbell - Iowa
    2 (53) - OT - Dawand Jones - Ohio State
    3 (64) - WR - Jonathon Mingo - Ole Miss
    3 (80) - EDGE - Andre Carter II - Army
    4 (120) - OC - Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
    7 (234) - SAF - Quindell Johnson - Memphis
    7 (241) - EDGE - Isaiah Land - Florida A&M or RB Mohamed Ibraham - Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    I honestly think that trading down from 32 is the most likely option we have simply because, as you said, people will take all night looking at the board and want to trade up. If we do as you suggested I think the biggest hit would be to the potential OC position. John Michael Schmitz might be gone by 32 but he'll for sure be gone by 49. so I'd se them doing something like this and getting depth at OC instead of a future starter.

1 (17) - CB - Joey Porter Jr. - Penn St.
    2 (49) - ILB - Jack Campbell - Iowa
    2 (53) - OT - Dawand Jones - Ohio State
    3 (64) - WR - Jonathon Mingo - Ole Miss
    3 (80) - EDGE - Andre Carter II - Army
    4 (120) - OC - Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
    7 (234) - SAF - Quindell Johnson - Memphis
    7 (241) - EDGE - Isaiah Land - Florida A&M or RB Mohamed Ibraham - Minnesota
    I have no arguments with Stromberg, I think he is a capable C and hope they get him somehow. I'm not a fan of Carter at OLB. Ibraham at RB in the 7th would be awesome, dude's a load. Tough for me to see Dawand Jones lasting to 53. Faalele went 110 but I don't think he's even in the ball park compared to Jones. Your top 5 picks out of the 6 knock it out of the ballpark though.
    Last edited by Crossdog; 04-09-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    Pittsburgh's natural selections 1-4 remain intact and they gain an additional 3rd with the sacrifice of a higher 2nd. (32 compared to 53). And you get the overnight between day 2 and 3 to think about pick 64.

What do you think, is an extra 3rd worth going from 32 to 53? The position most affected would be OT imo.
    I'm not a fan , I love trade down scenarios but 32 all the way to 53 for me is more valuable than the return nets in this scenario ..

pick 32 is essentially a 1st round pick with a full night to sleep on whom the selection will be , the only drawback is no 5th year option BUT its also cheaper contract wise as a 2nd round rookie contract is cheaper than a 1st round selection yet still a top 32 pick ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I'm not a fan , I love trade down scenarios but 32 all the way to 53 for me is more valuable than the return nets in this scenario ..

pick 32 is essentially a 1st round pick with a full night to sleep on whom the selection will be , the only drawback is no 5th year option BUT its also cheaper contract wise as a 2nd round rookie contract is cheaper than a 1st round selection yet still a top 32 pick ...
    Understandable....the Bears (or whoever) probably would have to sweeten the pot as opposed to just going by the trade chart numbers. Tough to do when you don't know who is left on the board but fun just to speculate.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There will be a ton of suitors for the #32 pick after all night to adjust the draft boards. Unless there’s a single guy that dropped to 32, it makes a ton of sense to pick up some extra draft capital.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m taking BPA at 32 regardless of position. Obviously it won’t be a QB but every other position is in play. More than filling a position, the Steelers need playmakers. For example, if TE Mayer slipped I’d snatch him.