Thread: 2023 NFL Approved Rules Summary

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2023 NFL Approved Rules Summary

Re: 2023 NFL Approved Rules Summary

Most of the playing rules are for consistency . . . such as IR for 4th down attempts (most other change-of-possession plays are reviewable, so this makes sense), fixing the play clock after IR reversal, handing the ball forward same as illegal forward pass, and so on. But, how in the world are they going to judge "leaving one foot" as launching? I mean . . . what are supposed to do? Stand there and let the ball carrier or QB come to them? I'm for most rules concerning safety but this is utterly ridiculous.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I can't even find a version that my old eyes can see well enough to read.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Illegal punt? Is it illegal to quick kick (punt) on third down now? That was Ben's back into the NFL path.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Most of the playing rules are for consistency . . . such as IR for 4th down attempts (most other change-of-possession plays are reviewable, so this makes sense), fixing the play clock after IR reversal, handing the ball forward same as illegal forward pass, and so on. But, how in the world are they going to judge "leaving one foot" as launching? I mean . . . what are supposed to do? Stand there and let the ball carrier or QB come to them? I'm for most rules concerning safety but this is utterly ridiculous.
    Nothing changes as far as how that rule is officiated. A version of this rule is in place currently and this is just more or less making the verbiage more consistent. Tomlin and the competition committee said that this “rule” won’t be any different than what is being officiated now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/giant...nights-abusive

Der Komissar and his "Player Safety". My ass.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, for once it looks like they lost the Worst Rule Changes Trophy to MLB this year ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, for once it looks like they lost the Worst Rule Changes Trophy to MLB this year ...
    Are you referring to the pitch clock? That to me, is the greatest rule change in the history of baseball.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Are you referring to the pitch clock? That to me, is the greatest rule change in the history of baseball.
    That's one of them, but much worse is the shift ban, making the extra-inning ghost runner rule permanent, the limited pickoffs, cartoon-sized bases, no position players pitching. Pitch clock is stupid af, but it's just the icing on the cake. The minimum batters faced rule was another one that was pretty stupid. If you're talking about speeding up the game, excess pitching changes are the biggest culprit, but the answer to that is really just not being such a bitch about pitch counts and analytics.

They have REALLY fucked up baseball in the past 10 years, both with the rules and the way they manage the games, especially with pitching. They are also hell-bent on "speeding up the game" for some reason, despite the fact that that's not really the point of the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's one of them, but much worse is the shift ban, making the extra-inning ghost runner rule permanent, the limited pickoffs, cartoon-sized bases, no position players pitching. Pitch clock is stupid af, but it's just the icing on the cake. The minimum batters faced rule was another one that was pretty stupid. If you're talking about speeding up the game, excess pitching changes are the biggest culprit, but the answer to that is really just not being such a bitch about pitch counts and analytics.

They have REALLY fucked up baseball in the past 10 years, both with the rules and the way they manage the games, especially with pitching. They are also hell-bent on "speeding up the game" for some reason, despite the fact that that's not really the point of the game.
    I also love the ban of the ridiculous shift. I love the minimum batters faced too. I think you're the one that's f'd up.

I also love the ban of the ridiculous shift. I love the minimum batters faced too. I think you're the one that's f'd up.
    Maybe you just like stupid shit, ever think of that?

Ban this, ban that. Yeah, that's always the answer.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Maybe you just like stupid shit, ever think of that?

Ban this, ban that. Yeah, that's always the answer.
    Yes. You’re the voice of reason here.

Yes. You’re the voice of reason here.
    Yeah, that's real good. You list a bunch of stupid shit and say you like it. Everybody should listen to you. Just because.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Yeah, that's real good. You list a bunch of stupid shit and say you like it. Everybody should listen to you. Just because.
    I just said what I like. I don’t care what you like. In fact, I’m glad you don’t like it.

I just said what I like. I don’t care what you like. In fact, I’m glad you don’t like it.
    So in other words, just an asshole. Outstanding work.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

So in other words, just an asshole. Outstanding work.
    No, that's how you behave on here. I like the rule changes and I think 90% of fans do. It shortens the game by almost a half-hour.

No, that's how you behave on here. I like the rule changes and I think 90% of fans do. It shortens the game by almost a half-hour.
    No, that's how you behave on here. And I don't like the rule changes, so I think 90% of fans don't. Bulletproof.

I don't really get the obsession with making every sporting event shorter. You really got something that much more urgent or more entertaining to do with those 20 minutes? Go fuckin do it, then - or better yet, bury your face in your iPhone and miss half the game like every other mindless fuck.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Whatever floats your boat.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looks and sounds like mostly common sense rules with a few more subjective rules added in so fans can have something to debate.

On the baseball front, watching games is different and always has been. More like watching a nascar race. You never had to stare at every second in fear of missing something. The game is on, life still goes on around you, and if something happens you can stop whatever else you’re doing and watch the 300 or so replays of it. It’s never going to be an edge of your seat sport. I would vote just let them play how they play. Baseball should cater more to the fans in the seats rather than try to make it more exciting for tv. Some of it is the tv people want games to fit time slots, maybe a lot of this is due to that. MLB channel can expand if they wanted though.

Baseball is called our pastime for a good reason.

You know what, I ended up with tickets to a baseball game and got to see the new rules in action. It turns out that in person, they're still stupid, and you're stupid for liking them.
    See you Space Cowboy ...