Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 53-Man Roster First Look

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: 53-Man Roster First Look

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    But could he beat off defenders? I think not.
    I was being sarcastic.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

I got ya. "Suddenness and Glide" and "Beating off defenders" were two of the big memes, back in the day. Just having a bit of fun.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It's hard to predict a starting lineup since we're not 100% sure what the offensive identity/scheme will actually be.

QB: Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, and Tanner Morgan. Obviously Kenny is QB1 and Mitch is the backup. Mason and Tanner are competing for the #3 spot, which is MR's to lose, IMO. He just has more arm talent and is more familiar with the receivers. I don't see keeping 4.

RB: Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren are the only 2 names I feel comfortable with. I guess Anthony McFarland has to be the leader for the #3RB right now? I would not be surprised to see another RB or 2 brought in to add to the competition. I like the idea of Connor Heyward being used as the FB as well as part of the TE room. RB is the position that needs quality depth.

WR: Diontae Johnson, George Pickens, and Allen Robinson are maybe the locks right now? I think Gunner Olszewski, Calvin Austin, Anthony Miller, and Jordan Byrd will compete for 1 ST/backup WR spot. I also think Miles Boykin, Hakeem Butler, and Cody White will compete for the other ST/backup WR spot. I'm thinking we only carry 5 WRs this season with more emphasis on protecting KP and a power offense.

TE: Pat Freiermuth, Zach Gentry, Darnell Washington, and Connor Heyward all make this room. I think this is the most formidable group of TEs I have ever seen on this team. These guys can all help in the run game, protecting the pocket, and as productive pass catchers.

OT: Broderick Jones, Dan Moore, Chukwuma Okorafor, Spencer Anderson and Le'Raven Clark. 5 guys competing for 4 spots? Since we just drafted 2 maybe all 5 make it, or maybe there is a surprise cut.

OG: James Daniels, Kevin Dotson, Nate Herbig, and Isaac Seumalo. I think Kendrick Green will miss the cut this year.

OC: Mason Cole is the starting Center for KP.

I think this brings the Offense up to 25.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Time to go for the defense.

DL: Cam Heyward, DeMarvin Leal, and Larry Ogunjobi are my favorites to lead this group. Montravius Adams, Rookie Keanu Benton, and FA Armon Watts I expect to win the backup roles. I also think 1 of the remaining will make the 53. This will be a battle of Isaiahh Loudermilk, Jonathan Marshall, Breiden Fehoko, Manny Jones, and James Nyamwaya. Renell Wren is already on IR so odds are not in his favor.

OLB: TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith, Markus Golden are the locks here. The final spot comes down to the competition between Quincy Roche and Rookie Nick Herbig.

ILB: I see our starters as Cole Holcomb and Elandon Roberts. Backing them up will be tanner Muse and Mark Robinson.

CB: This is the tricky position for me to predict. Patrick Peterson, Joey Porter Jr, and Levi Wallace are the definite locks. Rookie Cory Trice, and James Pierre gives us our 5 here.

Safety: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Damontae Kazee, Keanu Neal, Tre Norwood, and Miles Killebrew

That gets the Defense to 25

ST: Christian Kuntz is LS, Chris Boswell is the Kicker, and at Punter I'm taking Pressley Harvin over Braden Mann, everything else being pretty close to equal Harvin will be the cheaper option.

That puts me at 53.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Anthony Miller has been cut.....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Miller just never stayed on the field enough the past few years. Sucks as he has the talent to play in the league but that is how it goes.

Glad they added another linebacker in Nick Kwiatkoski as they only had 3 ILB's as Tanner Muse is mostly looked apon as a special teams player.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Anthony Miller has been cut.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

TC coming up so nothing is set just yet but....

There is an article link on the home page that talks about the OTs in TC. One thing it brings up is the battle for LT. The article makes the point that in the opening weeks of the season the Steelers will face some seasoned veteran pass rushers, so we may likely see Dan Moore start out at LT since he has the NFL experience and bring Broderick Jones in more toward mid-season rather than just throw him in amongst the wolves right away.

The article also hints at when Jones takes over at LT that Moore may move to RT and replace Chuks. Chuks has been solid in pass protection but somewhat lacking in physicality and aggressiveness with run blocking. This makes me curious about the blocking chemistry on the outside with OTs changing positions and TEs possibly being used in various roles. Our guys are athletic enough to pull off some more complicated blocking schemes but more moving pieces with younger players that aren't used to each other will probably have mixed results initially.

Tomlin seems to be more of the 'just play football' mindset whereas Canada has been billed as using more motions and such with his schemes. I see this TC and the work getting done early as very important and will direct how this year's offensive scheme comes about. The QB will always be the pivotal piece but this year's OL chemistry needs to work well and quickly. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    TC coming up so nothing is set just yet but....

There is an article link on the home page that talks about the OTs in TC. One thing it brings up is the battle for LT. The article makes the point that in the opening weeks of the season the Steelers will face some seasoned veteran pass rushers, so we may likely see Dan Moore start out at LT since he has the NFL experience and bring Broderick Jones in more toward mid-season rather than just throw him in amongst the wolves right away.

The article also hints at when Jones takes over at LT that Moore may move to RT and replace Chuks. Chuks has been solid in pass protection but somewhat lacking in physicality and aggressiveness with run blocking. This makes me curious about the blocking chemistry on the outside with OTs changing positions and TEs possibly being used in various roles. Our guys are athletic enough to pull off some more complicated blocking schemes but more moving pieces with younger players that aren't used to each other will probably have mixed results initially.

Tomlin seems to be more of the 'just play football' mindset whereas Canada has been billed as using more motions and such with his schemes. I see this TC and the work getting done early as very important and will direct how this year's offensive scheme comes about. The QB will always be the pivotal piece but this year's OL chemistry needs to work well and quickly. Just my opinion.
    While I think we all have high hopes for Jones and would love to see him start kicking ass from day one, I’m not too worried about Moore starting the season at LT. He’s obviously never going to be mistaken for Jonathan Ogden, but I do think the preseason battle might have sharpened Moore a bit and he definitely has something to prove if he wants to be a starter in this league. I expect him to be much more competent out there than in the first half of last season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Name the ILBs but don't cheat and cannot use Google or the Steelers roster page. Good luck LMAO.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Know them all but #49?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Only Alexander for me(26)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Left to right Tanner Muse, Robinson, Roberts, Don't know #49 ? , Kwaitkoski, Kwon Alexander, Cole Holcolmb

By elimination 49 has to be Russell then. I hope one day we look back at this picture and count the all-pros standing there.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

By elimination 49 has to be Russell then. I hope one day we look back at this picture and count the all-pros standing there.
    sadly it wont be in this thread or venue
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

sadly it wont be in this thread or venue

Yep (Not Dave) Chapelle Russell.

It wasn't as easy at first. I didn't know what Nick K looked like or Tanner Muse. Never knew Chapelle. Elandon's face isn't easily recognizable (for me) but I remember his number is 50. Kwon just joined the team so didn't know his face either.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

My predicted roster after recent injuries. If Norwood is healthy enough on opening day - he takes a spot over Killebrew. I think Green makes this roster - I don’t know why except they thought highly of his athleticism to make him a high draft pick. He’s not a head case and I think they don’t want to give up on him yet.

Offense: 25 players

QB (3): Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph
    RB (3): Harris, Warren, McFarland
    WR (6): Johnson, Pickens, Robinson, Austin III, Butler, Boykin
    TE (4): Friermeuth, Washington, Heyward, Gentry
    OL (9): Jones, Seumalo, Cole, Daniels, Okorafor, Moore Jr, Dotson, Herbig, Green

Defense: 25 players
    DL (7): Heyward, Benton, Ogunjobi, Leal, Adams, Loudermilk, Fehoko
    LB (9): Watt, Holcomb, Roberts, Highsmith, Herbig, Alexander, Golden, Robinson, Muse
    CB (5): Peterson, Porter Jr, Wallace, Sullivan, Pierre
    S (4): Fitzpatrick, Kazee, Neal, Killebrew

special (3)
    K: Boswell
    LS: Kuntz
    P: Mann

(BTW that’s a killer group of special teamers: Muse, Killebrew and Boykins)

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    My predicted roster after recent injuries. If Norwood is healthy enough on opening day - he takes a spot over Killebrew. I think Green makes this roster - I don’t know why except they thought highly of his athleticism to make him a high draft pick. He’s not a head case and I think they don’t want to give up on him yet.

OL (9): Jones, Seumalo, Cole, Daniels, Okorafor, Moore Jr, Dotson, Herbig, Green

LB (9): Watt, Holcomb, Roberts, Highsmith, Herbig, Alexander, Golden, Robinson, Muse

special (3)

You think Norwood gets cut?

I think he might be too versatile to go.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

special (3)

everything looked pretty good until I got to the bottom lol

who is Mann? And what happened to doughboy?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

special (3)

I think that’s gonna be pretty damn close to the real roster…

After watching two preseason games, the roster build of this team is going to be very difficult. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with two QBs and Gentry is cut, not due to his position but due to them needing a roster spot for another position. Players like Muse, Thompson, Sullivan are playing really well…maybe some can make the PS…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    After watching two preseason games, the roster build of this team is going to be very difficult. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with two QBs and Gentry is cut, not due to his position but due to them needing a roster spot for another position. Players like Muse, Thompson, Sullivan are playing really well…maybe some can make the PS…
    When they drafted Washington I immediately wondered about Gentry. The 2 are roughly the same size with Washington being faster and more athletic already. Gentry is an UFA after this season and about to turn 27. I would not be mad if the Steelers hang onto Gentry, but it won't surprise me if they don't.

I would be a bit shocked if we went into this season with only 2 QBs. KP, Trubs, and either Mason or Morgan doesn't matter to me. Heck, pick up a 3rd from cutdown day.

Hakeem Butler and Cody White were cut

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...wide-receivers

Last edited by tube517; 08-21-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-release-two-wide-receivers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Both were waived injured or whatever so if they clear waivers - they can get stashed on IR if the team wants or totally cut with an injury settlement. I learned that from the internet and a podcast.

So maybe one gets stashed for a year on IR? Or not....

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hakeem Butler and Cody White were cut

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...wide-receivers

Good , I was so sick of the Cody White experiment and Butler I had big hopes for but he has done nothing but drop passes at camp ...cant teach the physical specimen he is but if his hands are unreliable then that just about does it don't it for a guy who's position requires him to make catches
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m so glad I don’t have to make the final cuts. I’m not sure which I like better……having “way” points, where you have to get the roster to a certain number, or get it from 90 to 53 by Xdate.

There is also a good chance that someone who is not currently on the roster will be added to final 53 man roster when they are cut from another team. We’ve done this routinely with Colbert and I can see Khan doing the same.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There is also a good chance that someone who is not currently on the roster will be added to final 53 man roster when they are cut from another team. We’ve done this routinely with Colbert and I can see Khan doing the same.
    Maybe a center or a tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Maybe a center or a tackle?
    yea. Agree with you. I am not sure if I feel confident with Spencer Anderson as the primary backup at center.