Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 53-Man Roster First Look

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: 53-Man Roster First Look

I already posted about this before but I really hope they add a vet OLB. I seen Kyle Van Noy suggested, I didn't realize he was a FA but he would be a great fit. Solid sack production, can play in coverage.

The 6th WR spot is completely up in the air, and they may not keep that many. DJ, GP, ARob, CA3, Boykin are likely locks if I had to guess. It comes down to special teams. Gunner will likely start camp as the punt returner, and if CA3 can show he can handle that role, Gunner may as well pack his stuff.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I think it is time to move on from Benny Snell Football and Anthony McFarland. I don't see a reason to resign Benny unless there are a rash of injuries. Similarly, I don't see McFarland's use for the team anymore.

Firstly, we drafted another Maryland player so the quota can be met. Secondly, McFarland's supposed usefulness was as a change of pace back or a third down receiver. Well, we have the change of pace guy in Warren. As for the third down back, Najee is a better third down back than McFarland will ever hope to be. What we need is a back that can pick up carries if Warren or Najee go down. I like Warren a lot, but I do wonder what would happen if he had the carry the entire load if Najee were to be out for an extended period of time. Likewise, if Warren goes down, I don't want to see Najee back over 300 carries a year. Get a young stud or two by scouring through the rookie free agents, players release after the cut down by other teams, or other teams practice squads. Running back is the one position you should be able to upgrade your depth while bargain shopping the "Kmart Blue Light Specials."
    Under no circumstances would I re-sign Benny Snell. He’s not an NFL back. They have Najee, Warren and Heyward on the roster with McFarland. I would look to replace McFarland with a mid range vet with experience. If Najee goes down as the roster is now, Warren and Heyward could handle RB duties. People seem to forget that Heyward is a Jack of many trades but they are still sorting out where his mastery is. He’s not necessarily in the TE room any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Under no circumstances would I re-sign Benny Snell. He’s not an NFL back. They have Najee, Warren and Heyward on the roster with McFarland. I would look to replace McFarland with a mid range vet with experience. If Najee goes down as the roster is now, Warren and Heyward could handle RB duties. People seem to forget that Heyward is a Jack of many trades but they are still sorting out where his mastery is. He’s not necessarily in the TE room any longer.
    The only way that Snell is back,this is for the special teams....I would still be very surprised if he is back with the steelers or even in a NFL team!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The only way that Snell is back,this is for the special teams....I would still be very surprised if he is back with the steelers or even in a NFL team!
    Wouldn’t even do that to be honest.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Benny Snell probably agrees and doesn't want to come back anyway. His number has been assigned to another player already, right? Joey Porter Jr currently has #24. To me that sorta says he's not in the plans. I'm looking at Master Teague to play that 3rd RB role at 5'11"-225LBs. McFarland and Huntley are both sub 5'10" and sub 200LBs. Heyward is already listed as a TE/FB and he is 6'-230LBs.

I think the RB room will be:
    #22 Najee Harris 6'1"-242LBs
    #30 Jaylen Warren 5'8"-215LBs
    #33 Master Teague 5'11"-225LBs
    #83 Connor Heyward 6'-230LBs

I do think Benny Snell will get picked up by some team if the Steelers leave him out there in FA. He brings value on ST and as a short yardage back. He will fill a need somewhere.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Can Calvin Austin return punt?
    He did some punt returns in college but if he can win the return man job for the Steelers that may help kick Gunnar off.

Also want to see UDFA Byrd get a shot although he's a long shot but he had like 4 returns for TDs in college. He's a shrimp and looks like another Dri Archer,though

I want to see Master Teague healthy and see if he can get some preseason reps and earn the #3 RB job..

I think the 3rd RB will need to play on special team in coverage to make this team

I think the 3rd RB will need to play on special team in coverage to make this team
    Heywards not out of the question for that role. It doesn’t have to be a super fast little guy.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I do not want to discount the importance of STs. I really don't. BUT....for me...and maybe just for me.....a guy has to be REALLY good on teams to make up for being unplayable on another unit.

Like Killebrew and Boykin are basically unplayable on defense and offense....but are so good at covering kicks that I don't care.

Gunner is not that good at returning kicks. He is not playable on offense either. So what's the point?

Also, while we are on the subject....I'm starting to remember how infuriating Canada is as a coach. Like, cool Coach Canada -- nice that you want WRs to help block on the edge of running plays. Nice ideas. But, Coach, you don't have the players to do that. Any chance, you want to adapt your system to the personnel available? No...just going to stubbornly run your stuff no matter what? Huh. Good luck!

Canada is such an ass-hat. He's going to screw this roster up as well.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I will throw up in my mouth a little bit if Gunner O makes the team. What a useless football player.

Also, if he does make the team that means they are not believing their own BS. Gunner proved over and over again last year that he has no role on a run first team.

Something has to be done at LB that depth chart is awful. Either move Herbig to the middle and get another OLB or Herbig proves viable on the edge and get another ILB.

Who do I have to blackmail to get Maulet off the roster?
    Moj your wish came true. Maulet was cut.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I will throw up in my mouth a little bit if Gunner O makes the team. What a useless football player.

Also, if he does make the team that means they are not believing their own BS. Gunner proved over and over again last year that he has no role on a run first team.

Something has to be done at LB that depth chart is awful. Either move Herbig to the middle and get another OLB or Herbig proves viable on the edge and get another ILB.

Who do I have to blackmail to get Maulet off the roster?
    Maybe Khan has read this comment!...cut before the mini camp!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm so excited!!! And I just can't hide it!!!

So long, thanks for all the fishes.

With now Maulet and likely Snell gone,who will be the most hated current steelers players?!

With now Maulet and likely Snell gone,who will be the most hated current steelers players?!
    Kendrick Green and Gunnar

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Anthony Miller, Kendrick Green, Gunner…won’t take long for CAIII to get on or off that list as well…

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

"With now Maulet and likely Snell gone,who will be the most hated current steelers players?!"
    polamalubeast

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm so excited!!! And I just can't hide it!!!

So long, thanks for all the fishes.

It finally happened!!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It finally happened!!
    It is a great day.

Now I can devote myself full time to "Gunnar's Gotta Go" or midget tossing.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

You know, when I was trying to project a 53 I had such a hard time with "the Maulet problem." Problem solved! I think an upgrade at slot corner is still needed but at this point I don't know who they could bring in.

Anthony Miller, Kendrick Green, Gunner…won’t take long for CAIII to get on or off that list as well…
    This is possible that his players in bold will not make the 53 man roster!

Ahkello Witherspoon is out...

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Well, now that Rudolph is officially back and we've made a basketful of other moves, here's my updated take.

Roster Construction:

QB Kenny Pickett
    QB Mitchell Trubisky
    QB Mason Rudolph

WR Diontae Johnson
    WR George Pickens
    WR Allen Robinson
    WR Hakeem Butler (XFL)
    WR Calvin Austin III
    WR Miles Boykin

TE Pat Freiermuth
    TE Darnell Washington (3rd Round)
    TE/FB Connor Heyward

RB Najee Harris
    RB Jaylen Warren
    RB Anthony McFarland, Jr.
    FB Monte Pottebaum (UDFA)

LT Broderick Jones (1st Round)
    LT Chukwuma Okorafor
    LG Isaac Seumelo
    LG Kevin Dotson
    OC Mason Cole
    OC Ryan McCollum
    RG James Daniels
    RG Nate Herbig
    RT Dan Moore, Jr.
    RT Le'Raven Clark

PK Chris Boswell
    P Biggus Kickus
    LS Christian Kuntz

LDE Larry Ogunjobi
    LDE Armon Watts
    NT Keeanu Benton (2nd Round)
    DT Breiden Fehoko
    DT DeMarvin Leal
    RDE Cameron Heyward
    RDE Isaiahh Loudermilk

LOLB TJ Watt
    LOLB Quincy Roche
    LILB Cole Holcomb
    LILB Nick Herbig (4th Round)
    RILB Elandon Roberts
    RILB Mark Robinson
    ROLB Alex Highsmith
    ROLB Tanner Muse

SS Keanu Neal
    SS Damontae Kazee
    FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
    FS Tre Norwood

LCB Patrick Peterson
    LCB James Pierre
    RCB Levi Wallace
    RCB Joey Porter Jr. (2nd Round)
    RCB Cory Trice Jr. (7th Round)

That's 53 above, and one guy who probably makes the roster but is missing above-- is Killebrew. Maybe we carry 9 OL instead of 10, or 7 LB instead of 8, or trim Armon Watts and only keep 6 DL. Somehow, there will be room for Killebrew. A seventh WR is also a possibility - we usually carry six but last year started with seven. I'm assuming the four of Boykin, Miller, Austin, and Butler are fighting for 3 spots and I had a hard time wanting to trim Miller, but he was who I could justify most. I also slotted Nick Herbig in at ILB; they said they'll try OLB first but I just have a feeling. Changes if we make a signing, though.

Trice, Pierre, and Sullivan are competing for two CB slots. I gave Trice a chance, and kept Pierre so we'd have experience behind both JPJ and Pat Pete. But who knows what'll happen - maybe they'll even bring in someone else after cuts. A bona fide slot guy is our most glaring hole.

Yes, I've also projected Broderick to start, and Moore to slide over to the Right, where he'll be better.

Honorable Mention:
    ST Miles Killebrew (we'll either need to trim 1 OL, 1 DL, or one LB...)

Outside Looking In:

QB Tanner Morgan (UDFA)
    WR Anthony Miller
    WR Gunner Olszewski
    WR Cody White
    WR Ja'Marcus Bradley
    WR Dan Chisena
    WR Dez Fitzpatrick
    WR Jordan Byrd (UDFA)
    TE Zach Gentry
    TE Rodney Williams
    RB Jason Huntley
    RB Master Teague
    RB Alfonso Graham (UDFA/Tryout)
    OC Trevor Downing (UDFA)
    OG Spencer Anderson (7th round)
    OG Kendrick Green
    OG William Dunkle

PK B.T. Potter (UDFA)
    P Braden Mann

DE James Nyamwaya (UDFA)
    DT Montravius Adams
    DT Manny Jones
    DT Jonathan Marshall
    OLB David Perales (UDFA)
    OLB Emeke Egbule
    ILB Tae Crowder
    ILB Chapelle Russell
    SS Elijah Riley
    FS Scott Nelson
    FS Kenny Robinson
    CB Chandon Sullivan
    CB Luq Barcoo (XFL)
    CB Duke Dawson
    CB Madre Harper
    CB Chris Wilcox

You may have some slight placement disagreements and that's fine! This is the big picture of who's currently under contract.

Injured Reserve:

DT Renell Wren

Steelers UFA who are still unsigned anywhere:

RB Benny Snell, Jr.
    FB Derek J Watt
    OG Jesse Davis

DE Tyson Alualu
    DT Chris Wormley
    ILB Myles Jack
    OLB Jamir Jones
    SS Marcus Allen
    SS Karl Joseph
    CB William Jackson
    CB Carlins Platel

Possible FA targets:

SS, LB, RB, Slot Corner

Tryout Players Not Signed:

QB Bryce Perkins
    QB Hunter Johnson
    WR Jaden Blue
    WR Darryl Jones
    WR Stacy Chukwumezie
    WR Dwayne Menders
    TE Maverick Wolfley
    RB Toa Taua
    RB Peter Oliver
    OC Mike Panasluk
    OC Dacquari Wilson
    OG Jeremy Cooper
    OG Chance Lytle
    OT Darian Bryant
    OT Chidi Okeke

PK Alfredo Gachuz Lozada
    P Adam Korsak
    LS Nick Boyle

DE Xach Gill
    DT Brandon Gaddy
    DT Dion Bergan
    DT Gabe Oladipo
    LB Tylar Wiltz
    LB Tyler Tate
    LB O'Rien Vance
    LB Johnny Buchanan
    LB Toby Ndukwe
    LB Quinton Bell
    S Tyrell Ajian
    S Khoury Bethley
    CB Sylvonta Oliver
    CB Tyler Moore

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Music, meditation helps Holy Cross' Oliver stay true

I think this guy could make a PS here or with another team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmkZ_78GRjY

#24 runs, pass blocks, blocks in space, someone to watch, IMO.

I like your list but I think Gentry stays and Heyward is moved to another position or designated as a TE but moved around. I think all four of them stick.

I like your list but I think Gentry stays and Heyward is moved to another position or designated as a TE but moved around. I think all four of them stick.
    That's probable. But I decided to do that to make room for Pottebaum, just to follow up on Andy Weidl's MO this offseason of "building a bully."

Some interesting times ahead for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    That's probable. But I decided to do that to make room for Pottebaum, just to follow up on Andy Weidl's MO this offseason of "building a bully."

Some interesting times ahead for sure!
    Definitely should be interesting to see how this gets built.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers have released RB Master Teague, ILB Tae Crowder, LB Emeke Egbule and they have signed undrafted rookie LB Toby Ndukwe.

John Kuhn, Gary Russell, Master Teague... all the great ones eventually fall.

And yet we spent four years rolling out the likes of Isaac Redman.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    John Kuhn, Gary Russell, Master Teague... all the great ones eventually fall.

And yet we spent four years rolling out the likes of Benny Snell.
    Fixed it.

At least Redman had suddeness and glide and we found out later he had a career ending injury.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    At least Redman had suddeness and glide
    But could he beat off defenders? I think not.