Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 53-Man Roster First Look

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: 53-Man Roster First Look

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I am not sure who will be the 3rd RB of this team this year...I hope they will not bring Benny Snell back....
    I suspect that position will be UDFA to be named later.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So post draft it could look something like this?

Roster Construction:

QB (3)
    QB Kenny Pickett
    QB Mitchell Trubisky
    QB FA TBD

WR (5)
    WR Diontae Johnson
    WR George Pickens
    WR Allen Robinson
    WR Calvin Austin III
    WR Miles Boykin

TE (4)
    TE Pat Freiermuth
    TE Darnell Washington
    TE Zach Gentry
    TE/FB Connor Heyward

RB (4)
    RB Najee Harris
    RB Jaylen Warren
    RB Anthony McFarland, Jr.
    RB FA TBD

OL (9)
    LT Broderick Jones
    LT/RT Dan Moore, Jr.
    LG Isaac Seumelo
    LG Kevin Dotson
    OC Mason Cole
    OC 7th Round Dude
    RG James Daniels
    RG Nate Herbig
    RT Chukwuma Okorafor

K/P (3)
    PK Chris Boswell
    P Biggus Kickus
    LS Christian Kuntz

DL (8)
    LDE Larry Ogunjobi
    LDE Armon Watts
    NT Breiden Fehoko
    NT Benton
    DT Montravius Adams
    DT DeMarvin Leal
    RDE Cameron Heyward
    RDE Isaiahh Loudermilk

OLB (4)
    LOLB TJ Watt
    LOLB Quincy Roche
    ROLB Alex Highsmith
    ROLB Herbig

ILB (5)
    LILB Cole Holcomb
    LILB Tae Crowder
    RILB Elandon Roberts
    RILB Mark Robinson
    Special Teams Linebacker Tanner Muse

Safety (4)
    SS Keanu Neal
    SS Damontae Kazee
    FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
    FS Tre Norwood
    ST Miles Killebrew

CB (4)
    CB1 Patrick Peterson
    CB2 Joey Porter Jr.
    Slot Corner Chandon Sullivan
    CB3 Levi Wallace
    CB 4 Trice

I could see them dumping a DL (Loudermilk we are all looking at you) to get another DB on the roster. I could also see Crowder getting the heave-ho and Herbig pulling double duty at outside and inside for the linebacker group.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Yeah, that mostly tracks with what I had in mind. I'll let it breathe for a few more days to see if there are any post-draft signings (perhaps it's time for Mason to make a choice, etc). Even though I like him, I can see shedding Gentry's salary and going Muth/Washington/Heyward and Pottebaum as a pure FB. The last time we had a pure FB was what, Kreider? Witman? I don't even know. But we're leaning back into a bruising running game and O-line. It may be time. I'm also thinking that if Broderick is ready to go day 1, we may see Moore, and not Chuks, as the starting RT and that could get interesting.

We could use an upgrade at slot corner still. Interesting days ahead.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers appear to have done a fantastic job addressing their need and filling glaring needs. I worry about the WR group, it looks quite underwhelming.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

mason rudolph is so good nobody wants him, it would ruin the parity in the NFL
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    mason rudolph is so good nobody wants him, it would ruin the parity in the NFL
    Three letters:

X - F - L

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It sure would be nice if they looked to bring in another OLB. Justin Houston would be a great fit. He's 34 years old but can still get to the QB. 9.5 sacks last season. Not a needle mover at all but maybe they bring back Delontae Scott who was with the team last camp and was solid. He just finished playing in the XFL(coached by Hines Ward) and had good production.

I'm not sure what the plan is at slot corner. Maybe Peterson does play some there, Maulet I believe has to feel good about his roster spot right now. We'll see about Chandon Sullivan, he was pretty bad last year. Does Tre Norwood finally put it together? I won't be shocked if they go the trade route in August if no solution is found.

I expect a XFL QB to be brought in to compete for the #3 job. I'd prefer Rudolph to come back but I have strong doubts.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So post draft it could look something like this?

Roster Construction:

QB (3)
    QB Kenny Pickett
    QB Mitchell Trubisky
    QB FA TBD

WR (5)
    WR Diontae Johnson
    WR George Pickens
    WR Allen Robinson
    WR Calvin Austin III
    WR Miles Boykin

TE (4)
    TE Pat Freiermuth
    TE Darnell Washington
    TE Zach Gentry
    TE/FB Connor Heyward

RB (4)
    RB Najee Harris
    RB Jaylen Warren
    RB Anthony McFarland, Jr.
    RB FA TBD

OL (9)
    LT Broderick Jones
    LT/RT Dan Moore, Jr.
    LG Isaac Seumelo
    LG Kevin Dotson
    OC Mason Cole
    OC 7th Round Dude
    RG James Daniels
    RG Nate Herbig
    RT Chukwuma Okorafor

K/P (3)
    PK Chris Boswell
    P Biggus Kickus
    LS Christian Kuntz

DL (8)
    LDE Larry Ogunjobi
    LDE Armon Watts
    NT Breiden Fehoko
    NT Benton
    DT Montravius Adams
    DT DeMarvin Leal
    RDE Cameron Heyward
    RDE Isaiahh Loudermilk

OLB (4)
    LOLB TJ Watt
    LOLB Quincy Roche
    ROLB Alex Highsmith
    ROLB Herbig

ILB (5)
    LILB Cole Holcomb
    LILB Tae Crowder
    RILB Elandon Roberts
    RILB Mark Robinson
    Special Teams Linebacker Tanner Muse

Safety (4)
    SS Keanu Neal
    SS Damontae Kazee
    FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
    FS Tre Norwood
    ST Miles Killebrew

CB (4)
    CB1 Patrick Peterson
    CB2 Joey Porter Jr.
    Slot Corner Chandon Sullivan
    CB3 Levi Wallace
    CB 4 Trice

I could see them dumping a DL (Loudermilk we are all looking at you) to get another DB on the roster. I could also see Crowder getting the heave-ho and Herbig pulling double duty at outside and inside for the linebacker group.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they added another DE or DT to the rotation before the final roster is constructed. I think the Eagles rotation, which worked very well, was 9-10 different players…that could maybe be a Weidl influence there…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they added another DE or DT to the rotation before the final roster is constructed. I think the Eagles rotation, which worked very well, was 9-10 different players…that could maybe be a Weidl influence there…
    Where do you get the roster spot from in that case? I just noticed that my math was all wrong anyway. I had 4 CB in my count and listed 5! So already at 54 I think....so maybe dump a RB onto the PS and just carry 3 on the actually add up to 53 man roster....

So could you get rid of Tanner Muse or Crowder at ILB?
    Or only carry 3 TEs?

I just think carrying 10 DL is hard to pull off....but I do see your point....

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

They signed DL Jonathan Marshall off the Jets practice squad last year. Was he released and I just missed it?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a website with an updated Steelers depth chart including all draft picks and UDFA posted 5/1/2023. I don't know how reliable this site is. Just figured I'd post it here.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    The Steelers appear to have done a fantastic job addressing their need and filling glaring needs. I worry about the WR group, it looks quite underwhelming.
    I think they'll be fine as long as Robinson can stay healthy. DJ is going to have his drops but when he doesn't drop it, he's a legit #1. Pickens is going to have a monster 2nd year and now with two TE's to throw to if Canada doesn't F it up, we should be fine at receiving.

To me my biggest question mark is ILB. It could be our weakest spot which means other team's TE's will feast on our defense (see Mark Andrews & Njoku).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

53-Man Roster First Look

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Where do you get the roster spot from in that case? I just noticed that my math was all wrong anyway. I had 4 CB in my count and listed 5! So already at 54 I think....so maybe dump a RB onto the PS and just carry 3 on the actually add up to 53 man roster....

So could you get rid of Tanner Muse or Crowder at ILB?
    Or only carry 3 TEs?

I just think carrying 10 DL is hard to pull off....but I do see your point....
    I don’t know where that comes from…2QBs maybe? 3 RBs? I would have to look at the 2022 Eagles roster to see how they have it constructed. Could give some insight?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Maybe with Colbert gone,the steelers will only have 2 QBs in their 53 man roster this year?

Maybe with Colbert gone,the steelers will only have 2 QBs in their 53 man roster this year?
    Could be. There’s a plethora of experienced QBs out there that if Pickett or Trubisky got injured, they could call upon one of these guys to fill a roster spot.

Here is a short list…

Probably not worthy of a roster spot…BUT…if one of the two get injured, these guys could take a roster spot.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

The team has UDFA Tanner Morgan, and with both Pickett and Trubisky, even if the team wants three QB, it probably doesn't need their QB3 to be a guy with experience this year. Unless we wind up bringing back Rudolph, I'm guessing Morgan has a fair shot at going into the season as QB3. He has potential to be a decent career backup and likely won't have to do it - this year. It's fine. We'll probably grab one more QB before camp just to be a camp arm, and may let them compete with Morgan to be QB3, but that's about it.

Now, because I said this, we're going to sign Teddy Bridgewater.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Could be. There’s a plethora of experienced QBs out there that if Pickett or Trubisky got injured, they could call upon one of these guys to fill a roster spot.

Here is a short list…

Probably not worthy of a roster spot…BUT…if one of the two get injured, these guys could take a roster spot.
    I'm trying to imagine bringing in Tom Brady.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The QB3 needs to be developmental.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    From your fingers to Khan's eyeballs...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Just go with 2 and sign a free agent . I’d rather keep a Conner Heyward type than a Josh Dobbs type.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

My stab at the final roster

Offense: 25 players
    QB (2): Pickett, Trubisky
    RB (3): Harris, Warren, McFarland
    WR (6): Johnson, Pickens, Robinson, Austin III, Butler, Byrd
    TE (4): Friermeuth, Washington, Heyward, Gentry
    OL (10): Jones, Seumalo, Cole, Daniels, Okorafor, Moore Jr, Dotson, Anderson, Herbig, Clark

Defense: 25 players

DL (7): Heyward, Benton, Ogunjobi, Leal, Adams, Loudermilk, Fehoko
    LB (8): Watt, Holcomb, Roberts, Highsmith, Herbig, Robinson, Roche, Muse
    CB (5): Peterson, Porter, Wallace, Sullivan, Trice
    S (5): Fitzpatrick, Kazee, Neal, Norwood, Killebrew

special (3)
    K: Boswell
    LS: Kuntz
    P: Mann

On offense: last roster spot will be between Gentry, Byrd or Gunner or Boykin, or 3rd QB or 7th WR or FB Pottenbaum and how well he plays special teams.

On Defense: last roster spot will be between Maulet, Killebrew, Pierre or Watts. I also think if Neal shows he can’t cover then he may be cut

I think Butler stays. Wiedl just said we want to be a big physical team.
    Last edited by ETL; 05-07-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

QB- 2
    Kenny Pickett
    Mitch Trubisky

RB- 3
    Najee Harris
    Jaylen Warren
    Jason Huntley

FB- 1
    Monte Pottenbaum

WR- 6
    Diontae Johnson
    George Pickens
    Allen Robinson
    Calvin Austin III
    Gunner Olszewski
    Miles Boykin

TE- 4
    Pat Freiermuth
    Zach Gentry
    Darnell Washington
    Conner Heyward

OL- 9
    LT- Broderick Jones
    LG- Isaac Seumalo
    OC- Mason Cole
    RG- James Daniels
    RT- Okorafor/Moore
    OT- Le'Raven Clark
    OG- Nate Herbig
    OG- Kevin Dotson

DL- 6
    Cam Heyward
    Keeanu Benton
    Larry Ogunjobi
    Demarvin Leal
    Breiden Fehoko
    Isaiahh Loudermilk

OLB- 4
    TJ Watt
    Alex Highsmith
    Nick Herbig
    Quincey Roche

ILB- 4
    Cole Holcomb
    Elandon Roberts
    Mark Robinson
    Tanner Muse

CB- 6
    Patrick Peterson
    Joey Porter Jr
    Levi Wallace
    James Pierre
    Cory Trice
    Arthur Maulet

S- 5
    Minkah Fitzpatrick
    Keanu Neal
    Damontae Kazee
    Tre Norwood
    Kenny Robinson

ST- 3
    Braden Mann
    Chris Boswell
    Christian Kuntz

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This should be an interesting TC this year. Starting with the OL, I think the first lineup will be the same as we ended last season with. Then other guys will rotate in and out. I haven't thrown away Green just yet either since he now has 2 years with the Steelers weight and training guys, and access to all the facilities have to offer. Just look at the transformation of Highsmith in the last 2 seasons. Just saying let's give him a chance to learn and improve first. No backups got snaps last season.

A big shakeup defensively. Not so much on the front line but in the middle and secondary. There will be some interesting battles on the defensive side. At CB, if keeping 6, I think the initial front runners have to be Peterson, JPjr, Wallace, Witherspoon, Pierre, and Maulet. Until someone steps up and takes a spot away. I think the Safeties are fairly straight forward this year. MF, Kazee, Neal, and Norwood.

If the plan is to play a more physical brand of offense this year, the Steelers may want to carry more of an off-center split of personnel toward the offensive side. Instead of 25-25, maybe something more like 27-23 to allow for more rotation or backup due to injury?

I will throw up in my mouth a little bit if Gunner O makes the team. What a useless football player.

Also, if he does make the team that means they are not believing their own BS. Gunner proved over and over again last year that he has no role on a run first team.

Something has to be done at LB that depth chart is awful. Either move Herbig to the middle and get another OLB or Herbig proves viable on the edge and get another ILB.

Who do I have to blackmail to get Maulet off the roster?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Can Calvin Austin return punt?

Can Calvin Austin return punt?
    I think the only question is can he catch it? Kick returns don't matter anymore. No one is returning kickoffs consistently. Punt returns are not far behind.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistic...rns?sort=pravg

Most of these guys are fair catching the ball over half the time. I really hope they do not waste a roster spot on a return only guy. But they seem fairly insistent on doing so...

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

With Sims off the team it almost ensures Gunner a spot unless someone else shows they can not only return punts/kick but also make special teams tackles. I don't see CA3 doing the latter.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FordFairLane View Post
    With Sims off the team it almost ensures Gunner a spot unless someone else shows they can not only return punts/kick but also make special teams tackles. I don't see CA3 doing the latter.
    Neither CA3 nor Gunner are making ST tackles. To me the difference is securing the punt only. Because of how he played last season, Gunner makes me nervous in that job. CA3 didn't play last season, but in college he fielded 29 punts with an 11 yard return average and 2 TDs. I'm not completely sold on this but I would put CA3 as my PR entering TC. Let the competition begin. Loser leaves town.

As Mojouw posted, not concerned with who watches kickoffs roll out the back of the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Neither CA3 nor Gunner are making ST tackles. To me the difference is securing the punt only. Because of how he played last season, Gunner makes me nervous in that job. CA3 didn't play last season, but in college he fielded 29 punts with an 11 yard return average and 2 TDs. I'm not completely sold on this but I would put CA3 as my PR entering TC. Let the competition begin. Loser leaves town.

As Mojouw posted, not concerned with who watches kickoffs roll out the back of the endzone.
    CAIII would make me nervous back there as well. Only fielded 29 punts…in college…

CAIII would make me nervous back there as well. Only fielded 29 punts…in college…
    While true, he didn't fumble. I was just elevating him over Gunner for that very reason.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I am not sure who will be the 3rd RB of this team this year...I hope they will not bring Benny Snell back....
    I think it is time to move on from Benny Snell Football and Anthony McFarland. I don't see a reason to resign Benny unless there are a rash of injuries. Similarly, I don't see McFarland's use for the team anymore.

Firstly, we drafted another Maryland player so the quota can be met. Secondly, McFarland's supposed usefulness was as a change of pace back or a third down receiver. Well, we have the change of pace guy in Warren. As for the third down back, Najee is a better third down back than McFarland will ever hope to be. What we need is a back that can pick up carries if Warren or Najee go down. I like Warren a lot, but I do wonder what would happen if he had the carry the entire load if Najee were to be out for an extended period of time. Likewise, if Warren goes down, I don't want to see Najee back over 300 carries a year. Get a young stud or two by scouring through the rookie free agents, players release after the cut down by other teams, or other teams practice squads. Running back is the one position you should be able to upgrade your depth while bargain shopping the "Kmart Blue Light Specials."