Thread: Free Agency/Week One - What's Your Grade?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Free Agency/Week One - What's Your Grade?

Week one of free agency is in the books. Five players signed with at least 4 of them likely being starters.

Isaac Seumalo, guard.
    Elandon Roberts, linebacker.
    Cole Holcomb, linebacker.
    Nate Herbig, guard.
    Patrick Peterson, cornerback.

Not to mention, re-signing a couple of our own:

Larry Ogunjobi, defensive tackle.
    Damontae Kazee, safety.

What grade are you giving these deals?

I'm impressed. I'm giving them a B+

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Free Agency/Week One - What's Your Grade?

Solid B for me too

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Had they kept Sutton it would be an A- but losing him drops it to a B.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Had they kept Sutton it would be an A- but losing him drops it to a B.
    Do you think he was worth what the Lions paid? I kind of do, but if their plans are to draft a CB at 1:17, I can see why they let him go.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Isaac Seumalo, guard. A
    Elandon Roberts, linebacker. B
    Cole Holcomb, linebacker. B+
    Nate Herbig, guard. C
    Patrick Peterson, cornerback. TBD

Not to mention, re-signing a couple of our own:

Larry Ogunjobi, defensive tackle. A
    Damontae Kazee, safety. B+

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

B
    I want Edmunds resigned and one tackle or corner before the draft (both will be awesome). But I don't know if there's anyone worth of at least competing for starts left.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Do you think he was worth what the Lions paid? I kind of do, but if their plans are to draft a CB at 1:17, I can see why they let him go.

I still do not see the sense in it when you have a guy like sutton that you can plug in anywhere in the secondary and have success you need to keep him as long as the money doesnt get crazy ..

at what Detroit paid him ya gotta figure even if you draft a guy Sutton is still at worse your second best CB and I really like my chances with him on teams #2 or #3 WR if that would be the case ....

sure they brought in Peterson but at 32 you gotta wonder what he has left and if he is going to be anything more than a mentor .... Yes he had a pretty good 2022 season but he played mostly zone as he is no longer a lock down man corner and the steelers have been playing a lot more man as of late so where does that leave us ?? Wallace , Spoon, and an old guy living off reputation that might be behind Pierre on the depth chart when all is said and done ??

I dunno I can not come up with a scenario that this secondary is better without Sutton on it

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I still do not see the sense in it when you have a guy like sutton that you can plug in anywhere in the secondary and have success you need to keep him as long as the money doesnt get crazy ..

at what Detroit paid him ya gotta figure even if you draft a guy Sutton is still at worse your second best CB and I really like my chances with him on teams #2 or #3 WR if that would be the case ....

sure they brought in Peterson but at 32 you gotta wonder what he has left and if he is going to be anything more than a mentor .... Yes he had a pretty good 2022 season but he played mostly zone as he is no longer a lock down man corner and the steelers have been playing a lot more man as of late so where does that leave us ?? Wallace , Spoon, and an old guy living off reputation that might be behind Pierre on the depth chart when all is said and done ??

I dunno I can not come up with a scenario that this secondary is better without Sutton on it
    I wish we could have kept Sutton. Mainly because he can play slot and outside. Now, we don't have a slot DB and I do not want to see Maulet at slot ever again.

But, Sutton got his payday so Khan and Wiedl need to find his replacement.

If there's equal value at 17 with OT, CB and DL, I think they go CB. So, there's a strong possibility that the second or third best CB in the draft will be better than Sutton.

If there's equal value at 17 with OT, CB and DL, I think they go CB. So, there's a strong possibility that the second or third best CB in the draft will be better than Sutton.
    even if he is that still doesnt make the secondary stronger without Sutton , you kick Sutton inside to the slot (where we have a void) or place him opposite the draft pick and have a vastly improved secondary

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Lions are paying Sutton like a top tier CB. They did some funny math with void years and signing bonuses as well.

Sutton is a really good player. A nice moveable chess piece for the entire defense.

But I can see why the Steelers were "out" at the valuation Detroit was offering. At $11 million per year...I am going to want a guy that can go head to head with high end WRs. Sutton isn't that guy.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Gut reaction is B+. Though we will see next year. I do like the recent signing at guard though, that will definitely boost the running game. Our IOL appears to be set for the next few years at least.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

even if he is that still doesnt make the secondary stronger without Sutton , you kick Sutton inside to the slot (where we have a void) or place him opposite the draft pick and have a vastly improved secondary
    I meant better than last year, not better than Peterson, a first round pick AND Sutton.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Based on nothing but filling positions, because that’s all you can really grade on, I’d say it’s a B+. They replaced Sutton with similar talent. Not as versatile but talent level is about the same. They upgraded the interior line. Getting rid of Spillane and Bush and adding Holcomb who is a better combination of the two of them is a plus. Roberts is a nice special teams pick up if Allen leaves. Still think the LB coverage department is bare but the position has been filled.

They’ve set themselves up for a BPA situation going into the draft…CB, LT, WR, DL, LB could all be in play and be a fine “BPA position of need pick”

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'd give it a solid R.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Yes but what if their CB choices are gone? This is why I wish the draft was before free agency. It would be nice for teams to know what they needed AFTER they drafted.

I think Cam was worth it, he was our best CB last year.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Yes but what if their CB choices are gone? This is why I wish the draft was before free agency. It would be nice for teams to know what they needed AFTER they drafted.

I think Cam was worth it, he was our best CB last year.
    That's an interesting thought. But I guess you can play it the other way. You know what you need to draft after free agency. I think the Steelers have been very good at that through the years.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Free Agency/Week One - What's Your Grade?

B so far.

I personally would have cut Trashbisky to pay Sutton. Can PP play the slot? I like the signing of PP simply to teach whatever young CB we get and he is going to be serviceable in zone coverage which we mostly do. Hope they keep Edmunds while they transition Kazee. Can’t decide if we need a CB or ILB that can cover for 1:17 at this point. Both are our biggest needs after FA so far. But first three picks better have a CB and ILB in them, then probably a WR.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

B since they appear to have upgraded the O line, however I know the plan is to get a CB high in the draft but I still don't like losing Sutton and nothing is guaranteed on draft day.

anyway this is a temporary grade right? a lot is still TBD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    B so far.

I personally would have cut Trashbisky to pay Sutton. Can PP play the slot? I like the signing of PP simply to teach whatever young CB we get and he is going to be serviceable in zone coverage which we mostly do. Hope they keep Edmunds while they transition Kazee. Can’t decide if we need a CB or ILB that can cover for 1:17 at this point. Both are our biggest needs after FA so far. But first three picks better have a CB and ILB in them, then probably a WR.
    this, i don't understand the fascination with MT. Keeping an unreliable backup at the cost of losing your best CB? Makes no sense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers are currently well under the cap. They can create additional room as well. The worst case scenario is that they could have needed to extend or restructure a few guys to fit Sutton in.

They simply did not want to pay Sutton that #. MT could never have existed and the Steelers were not paying Sutton $11 million. The two are connected, but very loosely. These are not the penny pinching days of yore where for every player signed, two had to go by the wayside.

They signed how many outside FA's now? 5? 6? Cap space was not the reason Sutton is a Lion. The Steelers just do not value Sutton's play and skillset at $11 million per year.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sutton may very well return as a HoF Safety in a few seasons.

Until I have reason to think otherwise, Grade A+!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Steelers are currently well under the cap. They can create additional room as well. The worst case scenario is that they could have needed to extend or restructure a few guys to fit Sutton in.

They simply did not want to pay Sutton that #. MT could never have existed and the Steelers were not paying Sutton $11 million. The two are connected, but very loosely. These are not the penny pinching days of yore where for every player signed, two had to go by the wayside.

They signed how many outside FA's now? 5? 6? Cap space was not the reason Sutton is a Lion. The Steelers just do not value Sutton's play and skillset at $11 million per year.
    Don’t get my post wrong, I did t think the 2 were connected, that is just what I would have done differently.