Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft Season

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Mock Draft Season

Tis' the season...

Here is my first mock draft, likely to change a few times. I'm only mocking to pick 120 at this point, but will do a full one eventually.

17. Trenton Simpson ILB, Clemson

Simpson can really run and tackle well. He reminds he a lot of Ryan Shazier in the way he moves and his aggressiveness when tackling.

32. Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois

I love his instincts when making plays on the ball and effort when tackling. He's a corner who will hit you in the mouth. That's Steelers football. He may be more of a zone corner, but I do like his versatility as well.

49. Blake Freeland OT, BYU

Freeland stands at 6'8, but actually has pretty nimble feet. He may struggle in run blocking initially, but a year or 2 in an NFL weight room and maybe this kid turns into KP's blindside protector?

80. Tuli Tuipulotu Edge/DE, USC

I love this kids position flexibility! You can stick him inside, you can stick him on the edge, and you can play him as 3-4 DE, as well. He would really be a wild card and may be my favorite in this first mock draft.

120. Jay Ward Slot/S, LSU

Another player with nice position flexibility. He's an aggressive tackler in both the passing and running game and was also an excellent special teamer for the Tigers. This is a Mike Tomlin pick if there ever was one.

Here is a few mock draft simulation links...

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...raft-simulator

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Mock Draft Season

Always fun

17. Joey Porter Jr CB PSU

32. Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

49. Jordan Battle Safety Alabama

80. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB TCU

120. Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton

235. PJ Mustipher DL PSU

242. SirVocea Dennis LB Pitt

or maybe...

17. Brian Branch Safety Alabama

32. Jack Campbell LB Iowa

49. Rashee Rice WR SMU

80. Moro Ojomo DE Texas

120. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB TCU

235. Max Duggan QB TCU

242. Richard Gouraige OT Florida

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like the Duggan pick.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I like the Duggan pick.
    Hacksaw Max Duggan?

Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Last edited by Dwinsgames; 03-20-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Dwins ... editing man, editing. Take the giant logos out.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    thank you!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Tis' the season...

Here is my first mock draft, likely to change a few times. I'm only mocking to pick 120 at this point, but will do a full one eventually.

17. Trenton Simpson ILB, Clemson

Simpson can really run and tackle well. He reminds he a lot of Ryan Shazier in the way he moves and his aggressiveness when tackling.

32. Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois

I love his instincts when making plays on the ball and effort when tackling. He's a corner who will hit you in the mouth. That's Steelers football. He may be more of a zone corner, but I do like his versatility as well.

49. Blake Freeland OT, BYU

Freeland stands at 6'8, but actually has pretty nimble feet. He may struggle in run blocking initially, but a year or 2 in an NFL weight room and maybe this kid turns into KP's blindside protector?

80. Tuli Tuipulotu Edge/DE, USC

I love this kids position flexibility! You can stick him inside, you can stick him on the edge, and you can play him as 3-4 DE, as well. He would really be a wild card and may be my favorite in this first mock draft.

120. Jay Ward Slot/S, LSU

Another player with nice position flexibility. He's an aggressive tackler in both the passing and running game and was also an excellent special teamer for the Tigers. This is a Mike Tomlin pick if there ever was one.

Here is a few mock draft simulation links...

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...raft-simulator
    I would take this (assuming your takes on the players is accurate, I know nothing about any of them). But at a minimum drafting BPA at those positions for the first 3 works for me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

1. Brian Branch Safety Alabama - Top Safety in this class.

2a. Cam Smith CB S. Carolina - My personal favorite CB in this draft. Plays Man or zone, and is a wrap-up tackler.

2b. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland - Big dude with quick feet and over 40 games LT experience. The Maryland connection is there.

3. Moro Ojomo DE Texas - Just getting into learning this player. So far I think he does well at what the Steelers like to do.

4. Viliami Fehoko OLB San Jose State - Cousin of Vita Vea. Has technique and motor. Good size and strength.

7a. Elijah Higgins WR Stanford - A 6'3"-235LB Slot WR that ran a 4.54/40.

7b. PJ Mustipher NT PSU - 6'4"-326LB 3yr starter.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if we landed 1/2 these ...........

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I would take this (assuming your takes on the players is accurate, I know nothing about any of them). But at a minimum drafting BPA at those positions for the first 3 works for me.
    It was a shot in the wind. I've seen Witherspoon going as high as 8 and rated the best corner in the draft by a few "experts." I think if he is there at 32 it would be a gift. Imo, I could see Porter Jr. falling to 32, so maybe he would be the pick there?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I can't do a mock draft without moving down to acquire more picks. I just can't do it.

I am hoping Khan and company trade back and get more picks in the middle of this draft.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

In my wildest dreams…lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I liked Ibrahim in college. I would take a 7th round shot with him. His injuries may keep him from getting drafted at all. UDFA candidate if that happens.

If Paris Johnson falls to us I will be ecstatic. I think he is the prize for LTs in this draft.

1. D. Branch S/Slot Alabama
    2. D. Jones T OSU
    2. J. Campbell ILB Iowa
    3. T. Palmer WR Nebraska
    4. J. Roy DT/DE LSU
    7. M. Cunningham QB Louisville
    7. Arquon Bush CB Cincinnati

This is probably my favorite one so far although I would love Witherspoon at 17, as well.

Full backend replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In my wildest dreams…lol

I would take this any day and twice on draft day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Full backend replacement?
    we have very little in terms of legit starters and basically no depth ... so why not load up and see where it shakes out while we have some guys on short term deals now would be the perfect time to make several moves to have their eventual replacements on rookie deals and able to learn from vets ..if the rookies win the jobs then the depth looks good

we have very little in terms of legit starters and basically no depth ... so why not load up and see where it shakes out while we have some guys on short term deals now would be the perfect time to make several moves to have their eventual replacements on rookie deals and able to learn from vets ..if the rookies win the jobs then the depth looks good
    IMO, Witherspoon would rotate/backup Peterson and Wallace at both outside positions year1, along with Ahkello Witherspoon. Perimeter CBs get picked on early in their careers typically. Turner would immediately become the Slot/Nickel CB. I love the DJ Turner selection and would also look at Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson in this same role depending on how the board falls.

2 weeks out...

17. Joey Porter Jr CB PSU
    32. Nolan Smith LB Georgia
    49. Mazi Smith DT Michigan
    80. Warren McClendon OT Georgia
    120. Jonathan Mingo WR OleMiss
    7a.
    7b.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

In 1987 the Steelers drafted DB's with 3 of their first 4 picks netting them Rod Woodson, Beltin' Delton Hall, and Thomas Everett. I'd be okay with today's equivalent.

Actually, that draft also got them Greg Lloyd, Hardy Nickerson, and Merrill Hoge. Let's have a draft like that.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I really like your 17 and 32.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kept trading back to accumulate picks and move later picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Kept trading back to accumulate picks and move later picks up.
    not sure why we would draft a TE the way Heyward came on in limited action the re signing of Gentry and Mooth as TE#1 already on the roster

A family reunion...

17. Nolan Smith LB Georgia
    32. Cam Smith CB S. Carolina
    49. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR OSU
    80. Mazi Smith DT Michigan
    120. Terrell Smith CB Minnesota
    234. Kendall Smith Jr Safety Illinois
    241. Andre Szmyt K Syracuse

not sure why we would draft a TE the way Heyward came on in limited action the re signing of Gentry and Mooth as TE#1 already on the roster
    Because he’s better than Gentry and Heyward. He and Freiermuth would be huge mismatches. He’s a receiver…he’s not gonna be there for his blocking. Best player available at the time as well.

Trying to not go simply with players I would like but trying to follow the bread crumbs to who the Steelers may be more likely to draft.

17. Paris Johnson - ProDay and dinner and combine
    - Broderick Jones - ProDay and combine
    - Joey Porter Jr - Joey Porter Jr + pre-draft visit and combine
    - Jack Campbell - ProDay
    - Nolan Smith - ProDay and combine
    - Trenton Simpson - ProDay and dinner and combine
    - Myles Murphy - ProDay and Dinner
    - DaWand Jones - ProDay and dinner and combine and all-star game and pre draft meeting

So far I have narrowed the pick at 17 to these 8 players using the proday, dinners, meetings, and all-star games criteria plus RAS scores from NFLDRAFTBUZZ.com and 2 other sites.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'll take a shot at what I think the Steeelers will do not necessarily what GM MojoUW would do....

17. Joey Porter Jr. CB - We do not know Khan and Weidl's preferences. But Peezy Jr would have been Colbert catnip. Production at a Power 5 - check. NFL bloodlines - check. Connection to the team and coach - check. Colbert's first round card would have likely just had doodles and Porter's name on it. What will a new regime do....not sure. But this seems like a reasonable prediction.

32. Trenton Simpson ILB - This one is a shot in the dark. The didn't bring him in for a visit, but I think they sent the upper level brain trust to Clemson Pro Day. And Simpson is a different profile than the rest of the LB room. My flawed brain keeps telling me that they have a room full of Vince Williams and they are going to go get their Timmons. Again....will Khan and Ko think this way? Not sure....there is also evidence to support the idea that ILB are getting bigger again and not just being safeties in LB clothing....so Simpson is a bit of off trend pick....but he fits with a "type" of LB that the team has been interested in in the past....

49. Cody Mauch OL - visit and pro day interest. I know that many draft pundits are projecting him inside due to lack a of length....but the Steelers have not traditionally shied away from squat OTs. My brain draws parallels to Beachum. Then....I look at the number of interior OL that the team has brought in for a visit...despite the FA's the past 2 seasons (Daniels, Cole, Seumalo, Herbig)....and think....hmmmmm.....best case Mauch is starting NFL LT....worst case....he's the interior OL piece they seem to still be looking for.

80. Keanu Benton DT - this one is straightforward. Picture a Steelers interior DL in your head. Now Google Benton.

120. Jonathan Mingo WR - Brought him in for a visit. Just a monster of a potential slot WR prospect. Could end up being everything that Claypool was intended to be. Not the raw athlete that Claypool is but he is better at actual WR things. Plus, he likes to block. Honestly, this is more of a pick for MojoUW than a solid Steelers prediction. I would FAR rather see Pickens and Mingo blocking from the WR position than the likes of Sims, Gunner the Midget, or CA III blocking on Canada's intricately designed running plays. Since they insist on having WRs set the edge against front 7 defenders for the run....let's get a WR who can come close to pulling off the assignment.

234. Christian Young SS - Not sure about this one...they surprisingly have not brought a great deal of safeties in. But he seems to have the size and want to to be a run defender for the back-end.

241. Malik Cunningham QB - OK. This is not really a realistic prediction at all. But it is a flyer from my personal "Why Not" category? I mean if you have interest in Oladukon then....take a better version this time and see if he can stick around as your QB 3.

Anyways....I have no done a few things. I have basically guaranteed that none of these guys will ever wear a Steelers uniform. And I will certainly look foolish when I change my own mind and argue against some of these picks later on....

2 Smiths ...

2 Jones

2 Alex's

believe it or not it wasnt planned that way