Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign free agent guard Isaac Seumalo to a 3 year deal

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers sign free agent guard Isaac Seumalo to a 3 year deal

Former Eagles starting right guard

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Jeremiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson 6. Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign free agent guard Isaac Seumalo to a 3 year deal

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Jeremiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson 6. Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Dude, I don't know how to take all of this free agency movement.

Really pleased to see Khan and Weidl not messing around.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

very good signing. our interior OL is set from here.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Being physical at the LOS/running the football is going to be the identity of this team.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Seumalo is a C/G that has been an OG in the pros but was an OC in college. I think Green is gone, I think Hassenauer is gone. The IOL looks fantastic right now. Drafting Tackles.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Pleasant Surprise!!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

To be honest I don't know who he is but he seems to be very good...A lock to be a starter in 2023?

Yeah,he is likely a lock to be a starter!...Now we need to improve the tackle position!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Happy with this one. Played well last year. Don’t remember why he didnt play in 2021…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Happy with this one. Played well last year. Don’t remember why he didnt play in 2021…
    Injuries maybe?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I like it ... building from the inside out ............. Dotson has just become 1st man up off the Bench and our Line just got a lot better say bye buy to Dud Green
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

3 years,24 millions....

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    3 years,24 millions....

thats a good deal for a Probowl alternate guard
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He grades out pretty good too.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Pleasantly surprised.

Starting O'line and back-ups taking shape
    Chuks, Daniels, Cole, Seumalo, Moore.

Back-up center - Herberg ,Seumalo (maybe Hassenauer)
    Back-up guard - Herberg, Dotson (to be signed or Kendrick Green or Hassenauer)
    Back-up tackles - Draft pick (to be signed maybe Trent Scott back)

I know everybody thinks this is the end of Green. For all intents and purposes, he is done. However, I think the Steelers will justify keeping him because he has starting (sucking at it) experience. Of course, they could cut him and re-sign Hassenauer -my preference, but I don't think they will.

As for Moore, they may want to see how he plays with a better guard next to him. Unless they go first round tackle, I'd expect a second or third round tackle to be first off bench at the start of the season with plans for that player to take over either for Moore or Chuks in 2024.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Clearly the new FO identified the interior line and middle LBs as areas of extreme weakness. They must have watched tape of the lack of run defense and inept run offense for most of last season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I would love the comfort of Dotson being the first guard off the bench....but I think he could just as easily get released.

Dotson is $2.9 million against the cap with a $2.7 million cap savings if you just release him.
    Herbig is $2.5 on the cap. Not likely to release him unless he just craters in the off-season programs.
    Green is $1.3 million against the cap. That is his best quality....hard to get any cheaper and even find a guy big enough to wear the uniform.

So you have your starting 5 (Moore/Seumalo (if only Myron Cope was still around...)/Cole/Daniels/Chuks). Last season they carried 3 interior backups (Hassenhauer, Davis, and Green) and one OT.

That would appear to mean that there is one interior spot "open" (Herbig and Green) but it could be Dotson. And I think they will carry at least one OT not currently on the roster on the final 53. They broke camp with only 8 OL last season. So there is a chance they go with 2 interior back-ups and 1 OT back-up.

This is a big rambly post...but Dotson is currently the most expensive "back-up" OL and there is an argument that he is too expensive to carry as a reserve. Especially if they only want to go 8 deep at the position.

I just had a thought....is there another NFL team that would take Dotson off their hands for a 4th round pick? Even if you got lower than the original value for him....he's gone after this year anyways. The above says that the don't "need" him....and if that 4th round pick turned into a useful LB or DL piece....would anyone complain?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I really like what I'm seeing before this draft. Andy Weidl may just prove to be the most important piece of the Steelers future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would love the comfort of Dotson being the first guard off the bench....but I think he could just as easily get released.

Dotson is $2.9 million against the cap with a $2.7 million cap savings if you just release him.
    Herbig is $2.5 on the cap. Not likely to release him unless he just craters in the off-season programs.
    Green is $1.3 million against the cap. That is his best quality....hard to get any cheaper and even find a guy big enough to wear the uniform.

So you have your starting 5 (Moore/Seumalo (if only Myron Cope was still around...)/Cole/Daniels/Chuks). Last season they carried 3 interior backups (Hassenhauer, Davis, and Green) and one OT.

That would appear to mean that there is one interior spot "open" (Herbig and Green) but it could be Dotson. And I think they will carry at least one OT not currently on the roster on the final 53. They broke camp with only 8 OL last season. So there is a chance they go with 2 interior back-ups and 1 OT back-up.

This is a big rambly post...but Dotson is currently the most expensive "back-up" OL and there is an argument that he is too expensive to carry as a reserve. Especially if they only want to go 8 deep at the position.

I just had a thought....is there another NFL team that would take Dotson off their hands for a 4th round pick? Even if you got lower than the original value for him....he's gone after this year anyways. The above says that the don't "need" him....and if that 4th round pick turned into a useful LB or DL piece....would anyone complain?
    The problem,Green is so unplayable at this point....Maybe both Dotson and Green will be gone.I don't think Green will make the 53 this year.I think it will be the case for Dotson if they have to keep one of the 2 between him and Green....Maybe the signing of Herbig mean that Dotson will be gone as well?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Your right. I probably have too many o'linemen on my list. Maybe they keep 9 this year if one is a rookie. They could indeed cut both Green and Dostson and stash the extra guard on the practice squad as well. I don't really hate Dotson. I still think he could be a decent reserve (part time starter) guard. However, if they could trade him even for 6 rounder, I'd say do it. He is clearly not in their long-term plans anymore.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The problem,Green is so unplayable at this point....Maybe both Dotson and Green will be gone.I don't think Green will make the 53 this year.I think it will be the case for Dotson if they have to keep one of the 2 between him and Green....Maybe the signing of Herbig mean that Dotson will be gone as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Your right. I probably have too many o'linemen on my list. Maybe they keep 9 this year if one is a rookie. They could indeed cut both Green and Dostson and stash the extra guard on the practice squad as well. I don't really hate Dotson. I still think he could be a decent reserve (part time starter) guard. However, if they could trade him even for 6 rounder, I'd say do it. He is clearly not in their long-term plans anymore.
    It could be that Green is out and they keep Dotson around...it just seems a lot of coin to pay a guy that has to be figuring on leaving town after his rookie deal expires. They just basically told him he isn't in their plans as a starter. At least with Green you have a few more seasons to see if he can be developed into a useful piece?

Should be interesting to see what they add in the draft and the rest of FA....lot of off-season to go yet!

Green is not worth the savings that they would get releasing Dotson. Unless Green cost $300,000. Not even close…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Green was terrible in his rookie year. He didn't play a single snap in year 2. I think it's safe to assume he won't make the cut once TC ends.

Keep in mind Dotson has been playing on bad and injured ankles. He still played every snap with a healthy Green waiting.

Green is not worth the savings that they would get releasing Dotson. Unless Green cost $300,000. Not even close…
    Salary cap math and years of team control makes for odd player evaluations...

You can't keep a player who is unplayable at the o-line position(Green)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think Dotson would be attractive to many teams. He played at a very high level when he was the RG. After moving to the LG position and installing Daniels as RT he hasn't been as good. It could be the injuries or just not being as comfortable. I think teams will probably project him as a RG. He doesn't have the best movement skills for blocking on the move, but he is a man-mover and a physical force in the run game. I can see them getting a draft pick for him if they decide to move on. He would be an unbelievable backup as he plays both G spots and he's not really that expensive. Green is the guy that hasn't shown any ability to play at this level. Unless he has taken a huge step forward, he is clearly the least accomplished backup player.....but they may want to keep him because he has played center.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think Dotson would be attractive to many teams. He played at a very high level when he was the RG. After moving to the LG position and installing Daniels as RT he hasn't been as good. It could be the injuries or just not being as comfortable. I think teams will probably project him as a RG. He doesn't have the best movement skills for blocking on the move, but he is a man-mover and a physical force in the run game. I can see them getting a draft pick for him if they decide to move on. He would be an unbelievable backup as he plays both G spots and he's not really that expensive. Green is the guy that hasn't shown any ability to play at this level. Unless he has taken a huge step forward, he is clearly the least accomplished backup player.....but they may want to keep him because he has played center.
    I would NOT send Dotson away for a draft pick if the result is keeping Green…

same for me

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm not advocating it. It's a response to a question by Mojouw.

I believe Dotson has value.