Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers cut LB Myles Jack

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers cut LB Myles Jack

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers cut LB Myles Jack

Wow. I'm a little surprised by that. I thought they would play it forward with him. Wonder if this is a case of Jack being unwilling to extend at the rate the Steelers felt he was worth. I'm not against the transaction based on salary and the savings with his release, but middle linebacker is now neck and neck with corner for need.

Considering they also reworked Minkah make me wonder if they needed this relief for the contracts they have done, or if they have some other targets out their in FA? Or are they clearing money for an extension of Alex Highsmith?

It does seem like Khan might be playing a little more hard ball with what he is willing pay to keep their own players.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rotating list of ILBs. Let's hope the new pair of ILBs will have a better impact.

Omar's not messing around. Let's see if he goes after an OT

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

ILB -- if it's not working, blow it up and start over.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    ILB -- if it's not working, blow it up and start over.

It is definitely time for a reset. I like it.

I'm not super surprised. I've been wondering if they were possibly making a move away from Jack for a number of reasons.

They have cleared up $18 million in cap space with Minkah's restructure and Jack's release just today. I suspect they're not done yet.

When the dust finally settles and all the FA moves are made, I think we'll see some clarity on the needs that will be addressed through the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Plus they didn't tender any of the RFAs this time. That saved around $10M as well.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I like it, and had suggested at the end of last season that they consider cutting Myles Jack and saving $8M total. I know there is a natural reaction to keep him just because the Steelers were/are barren the the ILB position, but I just don't think Jack is worth that much money.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I like it, and had suggested at the end of last season that they consider cutting Myles Jack and saving $8M total. I know there is a natural reaction to keep him just because the Steelers were/are barren the the ILB position, but I just don't think Jack is worth that much money.

I think it would be fine if he were completely healthy, but he has some physical issues that have been part of his life since entering the league. Those injuries and chronic conditions have caused him to miss more time and limit his performance. There's no point hanging onto him if he can't give you the availability and the performance going forward. His condition is going to continue to deteriorate.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think it would be fine if he were completely healthy, but he has some physical issues that have been part of his life since entering the league. Those injuries and chronic conditions have caused him to miss more time and limit his performance. There's no point hanging onto him if he can't give you the availability and the performance going forward. His condition is going to continue to deteriorate.
    he has already outlived his stated do date from his draft year medicals ... I remember distinctly it being stated his medicals indicated if he played 5 years of solid ball consider it a win ( his knee or knees were degenerative ??)

and that is what took him from potential top 10 pick to rd2
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he has already outlived his stated do date from his draft year medicals ... I remember distinctly it being stated his medicals indicated if he played 5 years of solid ball consider it a win ( his knee or knees were degenerative ??)

and that is what took him from potential top 10 pick to rd2

Exactly. Degenerative knee issues.

He plays hard. When healthy he is still a good player, but he is near his expiration date. It is time to move on a get a group of young guys that can be here and play the style of ILB that this organization is accustomed to. If they don't sign a good FA playere or trade for an established player, that would signal that the ILB position is going to be a priority in the draft. I would love to see them draft a guy that can be a quality player for a decade.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Robinson, Roberts, and Holcomb. NONE of these guys cover. But they ALL tackle.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    2021 a healthy Holcomb had 2 picks and 7 pass defended credited to him per pro football reference

in contrast ...

Bush's best year he had 2 picks and 4 pass defended...

so I would say we are improved

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That is a step up.

Honestly, how many of these ILB types across the league can really cover? Like a half dozen? Is it even that many?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I think Holcomb is actually good/decent in coverage for an inside linebacker. I'm trying to think of who is a great ILB in coverage, and nobody is jumping out at me. I'm sure there are some, but there can't be that many. Perhaps I am wrong.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That is a step up.

Honestly, how many of these ILB types across the league can really cover? Like a half dozen? Is it even that many?
    You still need to cover a RB sometimes or be good in zone coverage.From what I hear,I don't think Holcomb is bad in coverage...It will depend how he is used...

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

That is a step up.

The Steelers have been absolutely picked apart in the middle of the field by opposing QBs in the last several seasons, I would have guessed they would covet ILBs who can cover.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I think Holcomb is actually good/decent in coverage for an inside linebacker. I'm trying to think of who is a great ILB in coverage, and nobody is jumping out at me. I'm sure there are some, but there can't be that many. Perhaps I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    The Steelers have been absolutely picked apart in the middle of the field by opposing QBs in the last several seasons, I would have guessed they would covet ILBs who can cover.
    All true....but how many man or zone cover LBs are really roaming around the NFL right now?

Warner and Roquan Smith stand out. I am sure there are a few others....but they are so few and far between that they typically do not show up in FA and if they do....not for $6 million per!

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

All true....but how many man or zone cover LBs are really roaming around the NFL right now?

Warner and Roquan Smith stand out. I am sure there are a few others....but they are so few and far between that they typically do not show up in FA and if they do....not for $6 million per!
    It's possible the Steelers are just doing a total overhaul on their ILB corp due to the fact they haven't been able to replace Shazier.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Now that they signed Roberts I retract saying middle linebacker is a high draft need.

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    It's possible the Steelers are just doing a total overhaul on their ILB corp due to the fact they haven't been able to replace Shazier.
    Absolutely. I’m all in favor of it.

Absolutely. I’m all in favor of it.
    anyone that isnt would be foolish ... you are only as strong as you are in the middle ... the best teams build inside out because the boundary is an extra defender whereas the hashmarks are not

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    anyone that isnt would be foolish ... you are only as strong as you are in the middle ... the best teams build inside out because the boundary is an extra defender whereas the hashmarks are not
    Great points.

I’m excited that the team is turning over portions of the roster.

I’ve understood why they’ve previously hesitated to do so. But this is, to me, a good thing.

A controlled attempt to rebuild a difficult position group is good to see.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's too bad, I thought Jack was ok, but for $11 million you be need an every-game starter who is a difference maker, and he was not.

I swear, sometimes you look at these contracts and wonder how it was ever going to be anything BUT a one-year rental with dead money after. They structure them so that unless the guy absolutely blows the doors off the league, it's almost impossible to justify keeping him for the second year. If he's just serviceable or even pretty good, you have to let him go. It seems like we've got one or two of those every year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Now that they signed Roberts I retract saying middle linebacker is a high draft need.
    I think we definitely made moves for playing within our division. Our LB room looks like a tackling clinic staff now. I'm loving it so far. The RBs in in the AFCN are big powerful runners and we needed sure hard hitting tacklers which we got. I could still see a guy like Nolan Smith(GA) that played outside but can be used in/out like we did with Timmons, as a draft target, or Trenton Simpson who plays the ILB/Safety role like we used Edmunds and Allen.

I agree though not a "HIGH" draft need. Depending on the board though, possibly a top 120 pick, depending on the player.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's too bad, I thought Jack was ok, but for $11 million you be need an every-game starter who is a difference maker, and he was not.

I swear, sometimes you look at these contracts and wonder how it was ever going to be anything BUT a one-year rental with dead money after. They structure them so that unless the guy absolutely blows the doors off the league, it's almost impossible to justify keeping him for the second year. If he's just serviceable or even pretty good, you have to let him go. It seems like we've got one or two of those every year.
    Looking at the contracts around the league, this is pretty much SOP NFL wide. You inflate the overall contract numbers to entice the player to sign and hope no one on the player's side realizes that, as you said, unless they play with their hair on fire for 17 games, it is a one year rental.

I wonder if agent's commission is calculated off the projected overall contract value?

- - - Updated - - -

I think we definitely made moves for playing within our division. Our LB room looks like a tackling clinic staff now. I'm loving it so far. The RBs in in the AFCN are big powerful runners and we needed sure hard hitting tacklers which we got. I could still see a guy like Nolan Smith(GA) that played outside but can be used in/out like we did with Timmons, as a draft target, or Trenton Simpson who plays the ILB/Safety role like we used Edmunds and Allen.

I agree though not a "HIGH" draft need. Depending on the board though, possibly a top 120 pick, depending on the player.
    It may not be high in terms of need....but if the team wants some of the players you are speculating on or the type of skill set you are outlining, recent draft history says that is either their first or second pick.

Looking at the contracts around the league, this is pretty much SOP NFL wide. You inflate the overall contract numbers to entice the player to sign and hope no one on the player's side realizes that, as you said, unless they play with their hair on fire for 17 games, it is a one year rental.

I wonder if agent's commission is calculated off the projected overall contract value?

- - - Updated - - -

It may not be high in terms of need....but if the team wants some of the players you are speculating on or the type of skill set you are outlining, recent draft history says that is either their first or second pick.
    Yep, that was exactly my point. It's the same old BPA vs Team Need argument. The level of need may not be high on everyone's board but the player available may trump all need levels.

Yep, that was exactly my point. It's the same old BPA vs Team Need argument. The level of need may not be high on everyone's board but the player available may trump all need levels.
    Got it.

I think they’ll need to spend that #32 pick if they want a “big ticket” prospect at ILB.

Got it.

I think they’ll need to spend that #32 pick if they want a “big ticket” prospect at ILB.
    Maybe. We have 3 top50 picks. I would use those on blue chip football players over specific team needs. But that’s the eternal debate. I also believe we need to upgrade both Tackle spots. One of those top50 blue chip guys may be a Tackle. That’s what I call win/win. Shazier vs Bush is a good example. Both drafts had the same need but not the same players.

Maybe. We have 3 top50 picks. I would use those on blue chip football players over specific team needs. But that’s the eternal debate. I also believe we need to upgrade both Tackle spots. One of those top50 blue chip guys may be a Tackle. That’s what I call win/win. Shazier vs Bush is a good example. Both drafts had the same need but not the same players.
    Agreed. But we can reasonably project what different tiers of talent cost in the draft.

If a team wants a Shazier level talent in a given draft class, that’s easily a top 40 pick.

Are there later round gems and scouting finds? Sure.

But if you want “elite” prospects at OT, ILB, and CB - that’s a lot for a team to do in one draft class. Because everyone wants high rated prospects at those positions.

I think the Steelers “best” bet is to go for 2 out of the 3 with what 2 spots based on how the draft breaks.

Holcomb and Roberts are similar players and with Holcomb's injury history Roberts MIGHT be the backup plan in case of a Holcomb injury ... I am not certain ILB is off the board with an early selection ...Yes we signed two guys but we are down 3 from a year ago ..

I am comfortable with what we have if they are both (and they are as of today penciled in as starters) but we have to add to that with at the very min a 3rd round pick IMO we shall see tho