Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Steelers agreed to terms with former Commanders LB Cole Holcomb

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: The Steelers agreed to terms with former Commanders LB Cole Holcomb

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d rather see the low lights. That’s what will really tell the story. You can put together a highlight real for Robert Spillane or Devin Bush if you really wanted to…

I've watched him play a bit. This encapsulates who he is as a player. He is far more physical and aggressive than Bush ever was. This is a guy that many Commanders fans believe was on the verge of making Pro Bowls. Did you see him blowing up Zeke Elliot to get to the quarterback? He's one of the best pass blocking backs in the NFL.

Showing him making some plays in highlights isn't everything, but I just wanted people to see what type of player he is. I don't know how anybody is going to know anything about other teams if they don't actually watch football games other than the Steelers games. I tend to see a decent amount of football. He pops of the screen with his play.

Find a way to watch more of him and tell me what you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Honestly, at 3 years/$18 million it really doesn't matter.

Holcomb comes in as a signal caller, a captain, and a guy with both athletic testing and NFL production. If it works out...then you have a cheap solid NFL starter for the rest of his prime. If he is Jon Bostic 2.0 (or are we on 4.0 now?), I suspect you can get out of the deal after a year with little dead cap $$$.

I am a fan of the move because I did not like any of the players they had last year except Robinson because he's fun to root for. Holcomb is a cheaper Jack. He got let go in Washington for a reason. He has the same narrow path to really being a steal that Jack had.

I don't know if it's because of his injury or they have another young guy they like. They have a really good defense, and he has played very well on that defense. They already lost a DL in FA. Maybe they don't have the cash to hold onto these guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Myles Jack played 1 season here. He had 3 passes defensed but 104 Tackles in 15 games. I think the only reason he was cut was due to money and as a business move. I don't think it had anything to do with on-field stuff. If nobody picks him up I would not be shocked to see him back at Steelers TC. On a better team friendly deal obviously. He's only 27.

Holcomb is a tackling machine. Holcomb had 142 tackles with 2 INT in 2021. He was on pace to have like 170 tackles until his injury that ended his 2022 season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...H/HolcCo00.htm

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I've watched him play a bit. This encapsulates who he is as a player. He is far more physical and aggressive than Bush ever was. This is a guy that many Commanders fans believe was on the verge of making Pro Bowls. Did you see him blowing up Zeke Elliot to get to the quarterback? He's one of the best pass blocking backs in the NFL.

Showing him making some plays in highlights isn't everything, but I just wanted people to see what type of player he is. I don't know how anybody is going to know anything about other teams if they don't actually watch football games other than the Steelers games. I tend to see a decent amount of football. He pops of the screen with his play.

Find a way to watch more of him and tell me what you think.
    Definitely a better tackler, down hill player and harder hitter than Bush and Spillane were. I’m just questioning the coverage and what his weak spots are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

My brother in-law is a lifelong Washington Redskins/Commanders fan and he has raved about Cole Holcomb the last two years, and is not happy that the Commanders lost him. In fact, I was the one who broke the news to him that the Steelers signed him.

I've watched several Commanders games over the last two seasons and Holcomb does pop out often enough in the games. He does the "dirty work" that Bush avoided, is smart, and does not miss tackles.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Definitely a better tackler, down hill player and harder hitter than Bush and Spillane were. I’m just questioning the coverage and what his weak spots are.

Coverage is not his strength. He is more of a guy that can do some things in zone, but sometimes can't lock down in man. He comes up to make hits and keeps completed passes to minimal gains with his aggression and great tackling skills. He is strong in all other departments. What will be interesting is how the Steelers use him and at which ILB spot they play him at. He was a captain last year, so you know this guy is a leader and a player.

He has missed some time with injuries. I believe that is why the Commanders let him go. He has had some injuries and missed games. That is why the Steelers got him for the price they did. If he continues to get injured often and miss games, at least they took a shot at a guy with a lot of traits on the right side of the ledger. If he stays healthy, I think they just got a steal.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed. It’s a band aid at best. But at least they tried something.
    I bet people had similar reviews of us signing Potsy. I can only hope it goes half as good.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Coverage is not his strength. He is more of a guy that can do some things in zone, but sometimes can't lock down in man. He comes up to make hits and keeps completed passes to minimal gains with his aggression and great tackling skills. He is strong in all other departments. What will be interesting is how the Steelers use him and at which ILB spot they play him at. He was a captain last year, so you know this guy is a leader and a player.

He has missed some time with injuries. I believe that is why the Commanders let him go. He has had some injuries and missed games. That is why the Steelers got him for the price they did. If he continues to get injured often and miss games, at least they took a shot at a guy with a lot of traits on the right side of the ledger. If he stays healthy, I think they just got a steal.
    Oh he definitely looks like a much better player. I just question his coverage skills and it will be interesting to see how they use him. When they sign any new player, the highlight clips are great and all but you could really put together a 2-3 minute video about Devin ambush or Spillane and make them look just as good. I’m interested in what they can’t do or where they can improve or weren’t being used correctly in hopes that it improves or was misused…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bush signed with Seattle. One man's trash...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

1 year prove it deal ... he wont prove it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Claypool and Bush gone! Like a refreshing shower in early spring!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe he will shine under Pete Carroll. He certainly was not happy with us and it showed. Everyone moving on.