Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers agreed to terms with former Commanders LB Cole Holcomb

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers agreed to terms with former Commanders LB Cole Holcomb

Tom Pelissero

The #Steelers agreed to terms with former #Commanders LB Cole Holcomb earlier this week on a three-year deal pending physical, per source.

Holcomb, 26, has started 48 games for Washington. A big addition to Pittsburgh’s defense.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: The Steelers agreed to terms with former Commanders LB Cole Holcomb

Holcomb is a good player, and based off the games I saw him play with Washington I think he is an upgrade to Robert Spillane.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Holcomb is a good player, and based off the games I saw him play with Washington I think he is an upgrade to Robert Spillane.
    he is an upgrade ..also has some speed he is a 4.5 -40 guy .. turned in 140+ tackles a few years back too ... he may be the guy we expected Bush to be
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

20-0!

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    20-0!
    20-0 is a bit far fetched.

I think 19-1 or 18-2 is a bit more realistic.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he is an upgrade ..also has some speed he is a 4.5 -40 guy .. turned in 140+ tackles a few years back too ... he may be the guy we expected Bush to be

He's definitely more athletic than Spillane. He is an upgrade. The only concern is coming off of season-ending injury. I'm sure he has to pass a physical to show that he is fit. If he is physically intact, this is a sneaky good signing. Very good quickness and speed, but also a very physical player. He should be a good fit if healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He's definitely more athletic than Spillane. He is an upgrade. The only concern is coming off of season-ending injury. I'm sure he has to pass a physical to show that he is fit. If he is physically intact, this is a sneaky good signing. Very good quickness and speed, but also a very physical player. He should be a good fit if healthy.

That's what Ladarius Green said on the way to the bank.

All kidding aside I hope he is and stays healthy.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That's what Ladarius Green said on the way to the bank.

All kidding aside I hope he is and stays healthy.

Let's not go there!

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Anybody know if he ever played outside? Just seems he would have the physical skills to do that in a pinch. If he is healthy, and anywhere back to his 2021 form, I'm guessing he will start ahead Buddy. Then Buddy will compete with a drafted player (this year or next) to replace Myles in 2024.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Anybody know if he ever played outside? Just seems he would have the physical skills to do that in a pinch. If he is healthy, and anywhere back to his 2021 form, I'm guessing he will start ahead Buddy. Then Buddy will compete with a drafted player (this year or next) to replace Myles in 2024.
    Buddy?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Buddy?
    I am guessing he meant Mark Robinson........but had him confused with Buddy Johnson, who was also a LB drafted a couple years ago and is no longer with the team.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I am guessing he meant Mark Robinson........but had him confused with Buddy Johnson, who was also a LB drafted a couple years ago and is no longer with the team.
    Yep. He was cut last year and was on the Texans' practice squad and they cut him too.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is maybe a step up from Spillane?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

good signing if healthy
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Seems that way. Holcomb has very similar measurables to Bush. So maybe we can finally see what Spillane’s brain in Bush’s body does at LB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Seems that way. Holcomb has very similar measurables to Bush. So maybe we can finally see what Spillane’s brain in Bush’s body does at LB.
    That might make a good football player…not holding my breath though…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That might make a good football player…not holding my breath though…
    Agreed. It’s a band aid at best. But at least they tried something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed. It’s a band aid at best. But at least they tried something.

Hopefully Trenton Simpson or Jack Campbell is available in the second round and they snag one of them. I would love to see some new athletic talent start patrolling the center of this defense.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes I did. TY. My ability to remember things I know I know ain't as good as it once was, but hopefully, it's as good once as it ever was (just not in this case for sure).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What do we have currently at ILB? Myles Jack, Marcus Robinson, and the new guy Cole Holcomb. A couple names we have seen but still don't know who they are. Yes, a draft pick and/or another FA signing are still in play.

2 steps up ... this is the guy we thought Bush was gonna be ... same basic size , speed the difference is this guy has produced at a high level

2 steps up ... this is the guy we thought Bush was gonna be ... same basic size , speed the difference is this guy has produced at a high level

Yep. He plays with much more physicality and aggression. He has that fire. Watch him take on blocks trying to blow up plays rather than avoiding contact and running around blocks like Bush does.

If he's healthy, I think fans are going to really like him. Here are highlight videos welcoming him to Pittsburgh.

But coverage isn’t good (on either of these guys they’ve signed)?

But coverage isn’t good (on either of these guys they’ve signed)?
    Bush gave up a 75% completion percentage a year ago .... hard to not improve with nearly anyone

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Yep. He plays with much more physicality and aggression. He has that fire. Watch him take on blocks trying to blow up plays rather than avoiding contact and running around blocks like Bush does.

If he's healthy, I think fans are going to really like him. Here are highlight videos welcoming him to Pittsburgh.

I’d rather see the low lights. That’s what will really tell the story. You can put together a highlight real for Robert Spillane or Devin Bush if you really wanted to…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He wears a MULL-HAWK!!!!

Honestly, at 3 years/$18 million it really doesn't matter.

Holcomb comes in as a signal caller, a captain, and a guy with both athletic testing and NFL production. If it works out...then you have a cheap solid NFL starter for the rest of his prime. If he is Jon Bostic 2.0 (or are we on 4.0 now?), I suspect you can get out of the deal after a year with little dead cap $$$.

I am a fan of the move because I did not like any of the players they had last year except Robinson because he's fun to root for. Holcomb is a cheaper Jack. He got let go in Washington for a reason. He has the same narrow path to really being a steal that Jack had.

Myles Jack played 1 season here. He had 3 passes defensed but 104 Tackles in 15 games. I think the only reason he was cut was due to money and as a business move. I don't think it had anything to do with on-field stuff. If nobody picks him up I would not be shocked to see him back at Steelers TC. On a better team friendly deal obviously. He's only 27.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Last year the group of ILB had zero forced fumbles and interception....It need to be much better next year.For the coverage here what one who cover the commanders have said about him for his coverage

Mark Bullock
    @MarkBullockNFL
    Replying to
    @CamGnesdaPGH
    and
    @Alex_Kozora
    His coverage isn’t bad at all, just depends on what you ask him to do. If it’s just basic spot-dropping zone stuff, he’ll be fine. Did a nice job with some match coverages Washington uses and carried receivers/TEs up the seam well.