Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers reached agreement with Pro Bowl CB Patrick Peterson, per source.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers reached agreement with Pro Bowl CB Patrick Peterson, per source.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers reached agreement with Pro Bowl CB Patrick Peterson, per source.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Meh…he’s pretty old…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

2 years deal

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wish they signed him five years ago.

This isn't like when they signed Hayden when he was still a very good player. Peterson is at the end of his career. He can so some things but is limited physically. He has lost a step and is no longer the mental image of the player you have in your head when you hear his name. He's a good leader and teammate by all accounts.

I guess the contract numbers will tell us what kind of a signing this is.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    2 years deal
    Reported or your guess? He signed a couple 1yr deals with the Vikings.

Allowed 59.6% of passes his way to be completed and 79.6 passer rating when targeted, per PFR.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Byron Murphy and Greedy Williams are both guys the Steelers spent some time with before their drafts. Both are UFA and unsigned currently. Maybe another move at CB before this week is over?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I wish they signed him five years ago.

This isn't like when they signed Hayden when he was still a very good player. Peterson is at the end of his career. He can so some things but is limited physically. He has lost a step and is no longer the mental image of the player you have in your head when you hear his name. He's a good leader and teammate by all accounts.

I guess the contract numbers will tell us what kind of a signing this is.
    He was still very good in the last 2 years despite his age....

Dale Lolley
    @dlolley_pgh
    ·
    4m
    According to Pro Football Reference, Peterson has allowed passer ratings of 78.6 and 79.7 in his coverage the past two seasons in Minnesota. Has 6 interceptions and 20 PBUs in that period.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

he's 32 ... seems older guess its because he made such an impact early on and stayed strong for a very long time ... he played pretty well last year but every year comes another challenge post 30 ...

this signing doesnt help me get over the loss of Sutton
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Not really a fan of this at first glance. If they got him for 8 mil over 2 years I won't be too disappointed. Anything more than that would be a mistake, imo.

Never go into a draft with a glaring hole to fill.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He was still very good in the last 2 years despite his age....

I know what the numbers say...but I watched him play. He understands the game, reads quarterbacks well, and comes off his WR to get some picks. That's good, but he literally can't run with fast WRs anymore in man coverage. He thrives in compressed-field situations and in zone. When he's on the outside against the top WRs he just can't stay with them if the QB gets time. Now, there are a lot of CBs that can't stay with those guys, but I hope he isn't getting a big contract.

Again, I've watched him play. I am a fan of his and the way he plays. He can do some things and can be an asset with other good cover guys around him, but I don't see him as a high-quality signing at the CB position.

Hopefully the pass rush is ferocious and he can feast with the ball coming out quickly.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Never go into a draft with a glaring hole to fill.
    I would have rather gone with youth, but if Pat Pete can perform like he has the past couple seasons than maybe it will be a nice signing.

Is he an upgrade over Sutton? He will obviously be cheaper.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I have no idea on the validity but just heard 2 years 10 million .... if so not a ton of risk there it doesn't sound like ...at the same time is a 32 year old corner with his best years in the rear view

I have no idea on the validity but just heard 2 years 10 million .... if so not a ton of risk there it doesn't sound like ...at the same time is a 32 year old corner with his best years in the rear view
    If this is accurate they may have overpaid a little bit considering Pat Pete made 4 mill last season and the season before and he's not getting any younger.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I wonder if those posting about how much he's lost even watched him play last year or if they're just repeating what basement bloggers have to say.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Get another FA and one in the draft. We need a better slot CB because Maulet aint it

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers infatuation with signing has-beens is laughable

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So Old Man River comes in and shows the draft pick and the reclamation project FA signing how to be grown up NFL players....

So Joey Porter JR and Greedy Williams?

I know what the numbers say...but I watched him play. He understands the game, reads quarterbacks well, and comes off his WR to get some picks. That's good, but he literally can't run with fast WRs anymore in man coverage. He thrives in compressed-field situations and in zone. When he's on the outside against the top WRs he just can't stay with them if the QB gets time. Now, there are a lot of CBs that can't stay with those guys, but I hope he isn't getting a big contract.

Again, I've watched him play. I am a fan of his and the way he plays. He can do some things and can be an asset with other good cover guys around him, but I don't see him as a high-quality signing at the CB position.

Hopefully the pass rush is ferocious and he can feast with the ball coming out quickly.
    Agreed. Pat Pete can make some plays with his veteran savvy, but you're not going to leave him on an island by any means. Fwiw, Cam Sutton wasn't exactly a player you'd want to leave on an island either.

I am sure the steelers will adds another CB....By a high draft pick or free agency

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I wonder if those posting about how much he's lost even watched him play last year or if they're just repeating what basement bloggers have to say.

I've watched him play. I like him as a player....always did. I love what he brings to the table with his experience, grit, and effort.

What I'm concerned about is losing the young cover corner and signing the old guy to take his place with limited draft capital and lack of a good track record at the position in the draft.

I know it's too early to get too upset because we don't know what else is going to happen or who they will sign. Right now it looks like a swap at the CB position Sutton for Peterson. We'll see. I would feel a lot better if they had more draft picks. I am hoping they move back in the draft to get more picks and fill more holes. But I always hope that and get disappointed every year!

Good point but his numbers in the last 2 years was much better that I thought since the vikings had likely the worst DC in the league last year,so the supporting cast on defense for the steelers will be much better...Of course you can't put him against good fast WR in man to man situation,very few can but I think he is still a very good player

- - - Updated - - -

I've watched him play. I like him as a player....always did. I love what he brings to the table with his experience, grit, and effort.

What I'm concerned about is losing the young cover corner and signing the old guy to take his place with limited draft capital and lack of a good track record at the position in the draft.

I know it's too early to get too upset because we don't know what else is going to happen or who they will sign. Right now it looks like a swap at the CB position Sutton for Peterson. We'll see. I would feel a lot better if they had more draft picks. I am hoping they move back in the draft to get more picks and fill more holes. But I always hope that and get disappointed every year!
    They have still 4 pick in the top 80,so 2 CB in his pick is still possible

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So Old Man River comes in and shows the draft pick and the reclamation project FA signing how to be grown up NFL players....

So Joey Porter JR and Greedy Williams?

There is certainly more that needs to be done at the position before we can feel good about it at this point.

I have faith in the organization. Always have. It's the initial feeling of losing a home-grown CB that is still young on a young and up-and-coming team.

I think drafting a CB is a no-brainer at this point unless they sign a couple more guys. Move back in the draft and grab two! Hopefully Porter or one of the other top-rated CBs are there with one of their first couple picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If this is accurate they may have overpaid a little bit considering Pat Pete made 4 mill last season and the season before and he's not getting any younger.
    Bidens economy , have you been to the Grocery store lately ?

between Groceries and Food you got your extra million per year gobbled up ..... ok its an exaggeration but is it

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I wonder if it was a strategy to drop Sutton and add PP, or if it just happened that way. I mean, honestly, they could have signed them both.

Bidens economy , have you been to the Grocery store lately ?

between Groceries and Food you got your extra million per year gobbled up ..... ok its an exaggeration but is it
    Usually when you get older and your athleticism regresses you make less money, but you do have a point there.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Didn't know Pat Pete is Bryant McFadden's cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I wonder if it was a strategy to drop Sutton and add PP, or if it just happened that way. I mean, honestly, they could have signed them both.

That's kind of my point. Sutton's contract was pretty reasonable. If they added PP to the roster with all that experience and knowledge, I would feel really good about it. But when you lose the best cover guy, it's like taking a step back.

Maybe the idea is draft a stud and let him mentor him. Get everything out of him because he's a pro's pro and plays hard. Then have him influence the future direction of the position by helping to groom the room!