Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Lions Sign Steelers CB Cam Sutton

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Detroit Lions Sign Steelers CB Cam Sutton

First Hilton, now Sutton. Two quality guys that played big roles. But hey we signed an old dude from the Vikings ... nothing to see here.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    First Hilton, now Sutton. Two quality guys that played big roles. But hey we signed an old dude from the Vikings ... nothing to see here.
    It is unfortunate. The position that we are probably the worst at scouting talent for is the position in recent years that we cant keep 2 guys that can actually ball
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I liked Sutton. His value was his extreme versatility. And it was cool to see him progress through his career.

But I wonder if the Eagles game capped his value. I think he played but I may be wrong. Either way that game showed that the Steelers didn’t have anyone that could cover high end wideouts. So maybe not willing to give out top 15-20 money for a “#2” corner - whatever that means.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I liked Sutton. His value was his extreme versatility. And it was cool to see him progress through his career.

But I wonder if the Eagles game capped his value. I think he played but I may be wrong. Either way that game showed that the Steelers didn’t have anyone that could cover high end wideouts. So maybe not willing to give out top 15-20 money for a “#2” corner - whatever that means.
    I think $11-12M is CB2 money in the current market. For whatever reason, they did not value him as someone who couldn't easily be replaced.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The truth is we don’t know the conversations between the Steelers and Sutton. There really is an offseason/FA/Draft plan every single year. Sutton leaving most likely has nothing to do with an ‘on-field value perspective’. Most likely there is an amount they would bring him back for, want to bring him back for, but the Lions offered over that amount. Sutton is not ring chasing with us or the Lions. Looks to me that it was a very easy decision based on dollars. But, and I feel this is an important point, dollars offered doesn’t necessarily equal on-field value. Sometimes it is just sticking to the plan. Just business, not personal or emotional.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Big "Roles". They were not superstars for the Steelers. They were just extremely good at the roles the Steelers asked them to do. All the power to them if they want to take greater opportunities elsewhere.

If teams like the Bengals and Lions want to pay role players big time money, all the best to them. Hilton is doing very well for himself, and I wish the same fortune to Sutton.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They were never going to pay Sutton that kind of coin. We can debate where it falls within the overall CB salary market leaguewide, but the Steelers have never placed that kind of value on the position.

They pay front 7 and safeties and get by with adequate at best CBs. Then they hope they get lucky here or there with a draft and develop guy. They have been doing that for what? 20 years? More?

Finally, you can go look up the stats and various ratings. Very (very) few CBs are good season to season. They have an up year and then a down and then an up or whatever. Sutton just had the best year he's ever had. Steelers weren't going to pay for that year and then have him have a down one.

I am not saying all of these things are correct or that we should fall in step with that line of thinking. But once Sutton got offers north of $8 million per year...Khan and company likely helped him pack.
    The Steelers haven't had a top-flight corner since Woodson, and even then they couldn't keep him on board forever. They like the Ike Taylor/Deshea Townsend types who can do as they are asked to do.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers haven't had a top-flight corner since Woodson, and even then they couldn't keep him on board forever. They like the Ike Taylor/Deshea Townsend types who can do as they are asked to do.
    Yeah they wouldn't want another Rod Woodson! lol

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Don’t let the splashier names in free agency overshadow this signing. There are two key Next Gen Stats categories in which Sutton ranked as the third-best outside corner in the NFL last season: receptions over expected allowed (-9.5) and ballhawk rate (20.8%). Though he was part of a Steelers secondary that had some challenges as a unit, Sutton allowed just 411 total yards in coverage, according to PFF, which ranked fifth-best among corners who logged at least 400 coverage snaps.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah they wouldn't want another Rod Woodson! lol
    Why?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

To let a good CB (maybe the best we had) go? they have to have a plan in mind (aside from a 32 yr old Peterson)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The steelers could easily offer this contract to Sutton even with that.....It's just the steelers or Sutton said no to it...I think this is more about the steelers....
    they didn't want to re-sign him. This is ultimately more about Tomlin, Austin and their plan for the defense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    To let a good CB (maybe the best we had) go? they have to have a plan in mind (aside from a 32 yr old Peterson)

- - - Updated - - -

they didn't want to re-sign him. This is ultimately more about Tomlin, Austin and their plan for the defense.
    I honestly think planA is Joey Porter Jr at 17. I also think planB is one of about 6 other CBs at 17 if JPjr is not still available.

I also think we need better Tackles. I don't think they want one as badly as I do. I feel that will be a round 2 or 3 pick. Signing Herbig has me hopeful anyway.

We re-signed Kazee but not Edmunds yet. I hope that is being negotiated. Otherwise a guy like Brian Branch or Jordan Battle could easily move into contention for an early draft pick. I think both would be excellent here.

Maybe we don't see a WR, TE, or RB drafted this year? I think one of those will be just because it's what we do. Plus, gotta give your young QB weapons. I think it will be WR if any.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I honestly think planA is Joey Porter Jr at 17. I also think planB is one of about 6 other CBs at 17 if JPjr is not still available.

I also think we need better Tackles. I don't think they want one as badly as I do. I feel that will be a round 2 or 3 pick. Signing Herbig has me hopeful anyway.

We re-signed Kazee but not Edmunds yet. I hope that is being negotiated. Otherwise a guy like Brian Branch or Jordan Battle could easily move into contention for an early draft pick. I think both would be excellent here.

Maybe we don't see a WR, TE, or RB drafted this year? I think one of those will be just because it's what we do. Plus, gotta give your young QB weapons. I think it will be WR if any.
    With the new FA guard pickup Plan A looks reasonable (CB - JP-jr as the 1st pick and hopefully a LT with the 2nd pick).

Agreed on WR, (not crazy about DJ) as for the others we have Warren backing up Najee and already a good TE set of PF, Gentry and Conner

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    With the new FA guard pickup Plan A looks reasonable (CB - JP-jr as the 1st pick and hopefully a LT with the 2nd pick).

Agreed on WR, (not crazy about DJ) as for the others we have Warren backing up Najee and already a good TE set of PF, Gentry and Conner

if we could trade DJ and use the pick / picks to replace him I would be ecstatic ...I only used plural as some seem to think he is worthy if that is a teams thought I welcome them to the bargaining table (only takes 1 )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    if we could trade DJ and use the pick / picks to replace him I would be ecstatic ...I only used plural as some seem to think he is worthy if that is a teams thought I welcome them to the bargaining table (only takes 1 )
    they should shop him around. Someone might give us a good offer based on his physical talent, but his focus and concentration are not there half the time and he plays like a bone head, so that could keep the market for his services lukewarm

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I think the Lions are building a very good team for next year. I would not be shocked if they win their division. The Packers lost Rodgers and I'm not sold on Jordan Love, the Vikings still have Cousins and the Bears are in full rebuild mode.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I think the Lions are building a very good team for next year. I would not be shocked if they win their division. The Packers lost Rodgers and I'm not sold on Jordan Love, the Vikings still have Cousins and the Bears are in full rebuild mode.
    Basically a brand new secondary.

I think the primary reason they didn't re-sign Sutton was the overall salary of the defense. The most expensive in the league. They needed to get cheaper and balance out so they are going with a cheap veteran and a high draft pick. Not terrible logic.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Letting him go was a huge mistake IMO.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Letting him go was a huge mistake IMO.
    I'll never understand the decision. He was playing fantastic last year and is in the middle of his prime. Sutton and JPJ could have held down the CB spots for the next few years.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'll never understand the decision. He was playing fantastic last year and is in the middle of his prime. Sutton and JPJ could have held down the CB spots for the next few years.

They are feeling it more now, with Joey Porter not playing and the bad injury to Trice as he looked so promising.

Add to that bringing in an old Patrick Peterson that isn't what he has been in his prime, he was clearly no longer the man coverage dynamo he was with the Vikings, and it was obvious to anyone paying attention that he could no longer hold up playing man.

Now, here they are with no Cam Sutton, very little Porter, and a version of Pat Pete that looks his age so far.

Another damned if you do, damned if you don't. Keep a veteran player and we're hanging on too long. Let one get away in FA and we shouldn't have let him go. Just one more complaint log to throw on the fire I guess.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sutton was above average in Pittsburgh. He wasn’t great. His best days were as a nickel CB. Even if he were better, the way their defense is set up, he still wouldn’t look as good as he does in Detroit. Their pass defense in Pittsburgh has been just about as bad as the offense. If there’s no pass rush, the opposing team can throw all over this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Another damned if you do, damned if you don't. Keep a veteran player and we're hanging on too long. Let one get away in FA and we shouldn't have let him go. Just one more complaint log to throw on the fire I guess.
    I said I thought it was a mistake at the time they didn't want to pay Sutton and they signed Peterson for the same reason I am saying this now.

He's been getting better every year and he turned 28 years old in February. They basically replaced him with Patrick Peterson, who was 33 years old in July.

I don't really think that it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. They damned themselves by signing a cornerback that is 33 years old instead of giving the money to a younger, better player. They could have given Sutton a 4-year deal and he would have completed that contract and would still be younger than Peterson is right now and would most likely still have cover skills at what would be a reasonable rate in 4 years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They clearly want several things out of their outside CBs (length, ball skills, and the ability to press). Because of his size, they do not see Sutton as that kind of CB.

Ignore the age...but they replaced Sutton with a guy built in a lab to their specifications in Peterson. He was supposed to fill the gap until their vat grown CBs (Porter and Trice) came online.

It does not appear to have worked out, but the chain of reasoning is clear to see.

I think the other miscalculation was that Kazee and Neal could replace Edmunds. They have failed at that so far. And it makes our CBs look worse because MF can't just hangout at deep FS and make plays on the ball or clean up messes. He's often being moved down into the mix to do safety crap that Edmunds handled.

I know I am a broken record....but that was just a mistake....however I also strongly believe that Edmunds just didn't want to be here anymore and I am not sure $10 million per would have changed his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I said I thought it was a mistake at the time they didn't want to pay Sutton and they signed Peterson for the same reason I am saying this now.

He's been getting better every year and he turned 28 years old in February. They basically replaced him with Patrick Peterson, who was 33 years old in July.

I don't really think that it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. They damned themselves by signing a cornerback that is 33 years old instead of giving the money to a younger, better player. They could have given Sutton a 4-year deal and he would have completed that contract and would still be younger than Peterson is right now and would most likely still have cover skills at what would be a reasonable rate in 4 years.
    The Steelers were never going to re-sign Sutton to a 4year deal. I am a bigger Sutton fan than most and I hated him leaving. Sutton wanted the longer contract. Edmunds wanted to leave. But that wasn’t my point. My point is the complaining and the Steelers can’t win with most fans whatever moves they make.

We are thin at WR depth so they bring in Mims. Nothing but scoffs and barbs about the move. Monday morning QBs is one thing. This constant complaining is something else though.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I think you are selling Ike Taylor short. He was a true shutdown corner in his prime in my opinion. He just had hands of stone and could not catch the ball to get interceptions. If he could have he would have been a consistent pro-bowl/all-pro player I think.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The Steelers were never going to re-sign Sutton to a 4year deal. I am a bigger Sutton fan than most and I hated him leaving. Sutton wanted the longer contract. Edmunds wanted to leave. But that wasn’t my point. My point is the complaining and the Steelers can’t win with most fans whatever moves they make.

We are thin at WR depth so they bring in Mims. Nothing but scoffs and barbs about the move. Monday morning QBs is one thing. This constant complaining is something else though.
    I was surprised that Sutton and Edmunds weren't re-signed. Usually the Steelers try and keep their homegrown talent. Sutton could play inside or outside and the Steelers usually keep those types of players that can do multiple roles.

Edmunds seemed like he didn't want to be a Steeler so not much they could do. I wanted him to stay for selfish reasons. He went to Va Tech, my alma mater..

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I was surprised that Sutton and Edmunds weren't re-signed. Usually the Steelers try and keep their homegrown talent. Sutton could play inside or outside and the Steelers usually keep those types of players that can do multiple roles.

Edmunds seemed like he didn't want to be a Steeler so not much they could do. I wanted him to stay for selfish reasons. He went to Va Tech, my alma mater..
    The Lions gave Sutton a 3yr/$33M contract with a $11M signing bonus and $22.5M guaranteed. The Steelers were not offering that, nor should they have. I liked Sutton from his draft and loved we got him. But he has not been a ‘blue chip’ defender and other guys needed to get paid. Unfortunately, we can’t give every player those type contracts.

Edmunds obviously just wanted out. Whatever his reasons he was finished here.