Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's the coaches. Not the players.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It's the coaches. Not the players.

Kendrick Green looks like a competent offensive Lineman. Weird how things change when he's in an actual NFL offense and with coaches that know what they're doing. C.J Stroud doesn't look like a rookie, because he's in an actual NFL Offense. With NFL Coaches.

You cannot say this team is unprepared or has poor preparation. They are very prepared. The issue is that teams are more than ready for them, because Matt Canada is not a legitimate or a serious NFL coordinator, and this is not a serious NFL coaching staff.

It's not Pickett. It's not Najee Harris. It's not the Offensive Line, or even the Defensive Line. The pieces keep shifting and changing, but the results are still bad on Offense. No rhythm. No reason. Poor personnel decisions. I will no longer say cut this guy, or sign this guy or criticize the players. The Coaching staff is absolute dogshit and they would turn gold into cat turds.

Matt Canada, and by extent Mike Tomlin are the issues with this team.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: It's the coaches. Not the players.

i can't even be mad. im almost just watching this dumpster fire with my popcorn seeing what load of shit they'll dump next
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

There is truth in what you say. Look at how quickly the 0-line performance deteriorated when Munchak left. This current offensive scheme has been in place for 3 years and had 4 different QBs run it. Regardless of the QB it hasn't looked significantly different nor performed any different. The only sparks or momentum we've ever seen out of it has been when they go no huddle/hurry up offense. I'll actually give Tomlin some credit for this because it's known that they practice a lot of this end of half/game situational football, but a big part of it is the QB is calling more of the plays and the QB is gonna call what he thinks is gonna work based on what he's seeing and adjusting to it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You’re 100% correct. This team and its fans will never get a proper evaluation on any player involved with this team because the system they are in is horrendous on both sides of the ball. If they are critiquing the players here, it’s basically ignorance because they don’t know and you can’t tell. There’s no facsimile of a professional offense (or defense for that matter) anywhere in that building. I personally don’t think Tomlin is a bad coach…he’s a bad manager of employees. Matt Canada should’ve been fired years ago and here we are today. The embarrassment of the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps the worst offense in the history of the NFL. Predictable, bland, unenergetic…it’s awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

In all the years I’ve been a fan I have never seen the Steelers not have an identity or steeler way. I think both are long gone. I’ll be surprised if they can score 10 next week

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You’re 100% correct. This team and its fans will never get a proper evaluation on any player involved with this team because the system they are in is horrendous on both sides of the ball. If they are critiquing the players here, it’s basically ignorance because they don’t know and you can’t tell. There’s no facsimile of a professional offense (or defense for that matter) anywhere in that building. I personally don’t think Tomlin is a bad coach…he’s a bad manager of employees. Matt Canada should’ve been fired years ago and here we are today. The embarrassment of the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. Perhaps the worst offense in the history of the NFL. Predictable, bland, unenergetic…it’s awful.
    You can say Pickett sucks. And that is true.

But Trubisky sucks. Harris Sucks. The O-Line sucks. It's no one single thing wrong. Consistent breakdowns on offense. The same issues. That's an OC and system issue.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Not going to argue. When you have the smallest and lowest paid coaching and get these results - it’s a problem that needs serious examination and fixing. Starting with Canada. And It’s something one can’t argue their way out of on a message board. If the offense was working you can dismiss the small staff but it’s not. Who’s to blame? Who chose the staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

But Trubisky sucks. Harris Sucks. The O-Line sucks. It's no one single thing wrong. Consistent breakdowns on offense. The same issues. That's an OC and system issue.
    I'm not usre how you can say Harris sucks. He had good, hard runs today and fought for ever yard he got, even the negative yards. Put him behind a good line and good playcalling, and we're talking about him as one of the better backs in the league.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Hmmm...people are finally getting it? It has always been the coaches. As long as Tomlin remains the Steelers will be mediocre. But...but...no losing seasons
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

The team has to make changes, starting with the offense that has been putrid for a long time, and that means changing the OC and the scheme/playcalls. It starts there for me, and then start changing players as needed.

I honestly think the whole coaching staff likely needs to be replaced after this season. I appreciate all Tomlin has done, but I think new blood is needed. The fact that DeMeco Ryans and the whole Houston coaching staff ran circles around the Steelers and their coaches today makes me think this.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

I can't really get behind the idea Pickett sucks. His OC is incompetent, the plays are often doomed before the ball is snapped. The offensive line is very possibly the worst we've seen in the Tomlin era, they can't run or pass block. The Recivers very rarely create separation, the best Reciver Pickens runs poor routes and counts entirely on his physical stature for catches. It's a recipe for failure.

There needs to be a 1992 Bill Cowher-esque injection with this team. Noll had a talented core of players but was burnt out by '91 and went 7-9. New Blood needs to come in and win with Tomlin's players.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Week1- It's OVER!!!
    Week2- So long as the defense can keep us close we have a chance to win.
    Week3- Finally some life! 1st place! Here We GO!
    Week4- It's OVER!!!

Are we going to see this pattern repeat for the whole season? At least we know the defense will get us a win next week vs the Ravens. Then we will look to be back on track with a win over the Rams. Then another blowout loss to the Jags. That's still a 12-5/11-6 season.

We cannot continue to run this offense out there. Even when we have motion it's vs single high zone, and/or the man in motion is the lead blocker so the defense knows, or the man in motion is getting the ball so the defense knows. Play action might work if the defense didn't already know our RB must stay in for pass protection anyway.

225 yards of TOTAL offense. 12 first downs. I can count, 5 drives ended in punts, 1 drive ended with an INT, and 2 drives ended in FGs. That's 8 of the 12 1st downs starting those drives. Our offense managed 4 first downs. This was a worse beating than week 1 vs the 49ers.

KP went 15 of 23 for 114 yards, 3 sacks and a pick. 15 completions for 114yards. by comparison, Stroud had 16 completions for 306 yards, 2TDs and zero picks.

Have to change this somehow, even if we start using all 3 QBs in a game, running some wildcat, going 3 plays no huddle at a time, I don't know what but this just sucks.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Pass protection is a joke, KP and the running backs are getting pummeled. KP was getting hit on average 5 times per game going into Houston - how many times did he get hit today? No way I’m laying the blame on KP or the RB’s. Canada is in over his head and so is Tomlin it seems

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Pass protection is a joke, KP and the running backs are getting pummeled. KP was getting hit on average 5 times per game going into Houston - how many times did he get hit today? No way I’m laying the blame on KP or the RB’s. Canada is in over his head and so is Tomlin it seems
    Tomlin was in over his head the day the Steelers hired him.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

The whole coaching staff needs to go.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I love Tomlin and think he is a great coach and it would be hard to replace him, but I am tired of his loyalty to mediocrity.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    i can't even be mad. im almost just watching this dumpster fire with my popcorn seeing what load of shit they'll dump next
    This is what it's like to be a Raiders fan...lol. I feel your pain brother!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is just one man's opinion, but I think the defense played well enough that had the offense done their part we probably win today. I don't know that their OL is better than our DL, but they did scheme us very well and slowed down our pass rush. Plus Stroud was getting rid of the ball fast.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No need to panic. Tomlin promises changes.

You must score points to win games. Playing solid defense is important, but if you don't score, you can't win.

Defense = 12pts
    Offense = 24pts
    Boz = 26pts

After 4 games!!!!

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    No need to panic. Tomlin promises changes.
    I remember this scenario. Tomlin promises changes...says "we will unleash hell in December" and then promptly changes NOTHING...and we meekly finished out the season as the mediocre team we appeared to be.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pass pro was rough. No doubt. But Pickett does not help. He runs into pass rushers too often. Guys are pushing rushers out and away, and instead of steeping up and through, the QB flows outside and into pass rushers.

It’s all broken from all sides.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

It has to change NOW! Rooney are a joke to let this continue

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Pass pro was rough. No doubt. But Pickett does not help. He runs into pass rushers too often. Guys are pushing rushers out and away, and instead of steeping up and through, the QB flows outside and into pass rushers.

from what I saw pocket was collapsing as well, that’s why he tried to run to the outside more than once but there was a defender there too. I think in that scenario he has to dump it off to the RB. There should’ve been one there. I think quick timing pass plays are needed - out of the shotgun, but you need well designed routes - maybe that’s too much to ask of Canada.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

from what I saw pocket was collapsing as well, that’s why he tried to run to the outside more than once but there was a defender there too. I think in that scenario he has to dump it off to the RB. There should’ve been one there. I think quick timing pass plays are needed - out of the shotgun, but you need well designed routes - maybe that’s too much to ask of Canada.
    I’m not gonna explain it well, but even on the play he got hurt on, the path to freedom was up and through the pocket. 77 had pushed his guy out and up the arc, and KP ran out and made the rusher relevant again.

Opposing Defenses see Canada's predictable playcalling and play aggressive and downhill all game. Because they know what is coming. Putting the Offense on its heels.

The Offensive Line consistently cannot block four guys or move people in the run game.

Pickett, unable to trust the O'Line cannot hang in the pocket. He cannot audible or change the play, so he has to try to make it work somehow. He scrambles and extends plays hoping to make something happen.

The receivers cannot separate because the routes are asinine and predictable. Even when something does break open Pickett is under duress or cannot see it in time. No timing. No rhythm. No cohesion.

Canada route trees are not designed to be multiple reads to get guys open. They are all designed to run guys in order to get the ball to one single route. If its not the read, the ball isn't thrown. There is a purposely designed checkdown. Run the guys, then throw the checkdown. That's why Ben, Trubisky, and Pickett all seem to look like they're staring guys down. That one guy IS the designed route. That's it. Defenses do not need to account for the routes, because they KNOW its NOT going there. It's already predetermined pre-snap where its going. As long as they know where the ball is going, and they do, it's disaster for the Steelers.

It's all broken. A chain reaction of suck.

Opposing Defenses see Canada's predictable playcalling and play aggressive and downhill all game. Because they know what is coming. Putting the Offense on its heels.

The Offensive Line consistently cannot block four guys or move people in the run game.

Pickett, unable to trust the O'Line cannot hang in the pocket. He cannot audible or change the play, so he has to try to make it work somehow. He scrambles and extends plays hoping to make something happen.

It's all broken. A chain reaction of suck.
    All true. And KP bails from clean pockets also. So it all compounds.

KP needs playcalling and scheme to give him a margin for error. Right now, playcalling and scheme puts him behind. He’s not capable of making up the difference on his own.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's been this way for over 10 years. If only we had this, if only we fixed that, we'd be SO CLOSE. And we never get there. Not even all the way there, we don't even really get close.

The NFL is basically set up so that the normal progression of things is that you are going to suck for 3 or 4 years no matter what, then have 3 or 4 years of contention bookended by a season or two on both ends that could go either way. Then back to sucking, rinse, repeat. The entire league has cycled through that, in some cases more than once, while we've been sprinting on a treadmill just to stand still. What do we have to show for the last decade-plus? A lot of woulda coulda shoulda. It is difficult to stay invested in that crap.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I’m not gonna explain it well, but even on the play he got hurt on, the path to freedom was up and through the pocket. 77 had pushed his guy out and up the arc, and KP ran out and made the rusher relevant again.
    maybe on that play there was space up the middle but I saw a lot of times the pocket getting pushed up and collapsing, when your getting hit and harassed you might miss openings when they ocasionally are there. KP is not dumb, I don’t think he’s going to jump outside when he doesn’t need to. He’s not running from clean pockets. He’s facing alot of pressure and he’s not getting any help from his illustrious OC.