Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Addison @ 32

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Addison @ 32

I don't think that 'first round grade' on rudolph should be taken literally, they were just trying to pump him up, but nobody in their right mind would believe that.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I never really watched Addison play as I’m not a Pitt fan. Forget the underwear olympics. Does he play like a first rounder? If so, would he be a steal at the top of R2?

Don’t forget, top WRs are now getting $25-30M a year. The draft is the way to keep the cupboards filled.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I never really watched Addison play as I’m not a Pitt fan. Forget the underwear olympics. Does he play like a first rounder? If so, would he be a steal at the top of R2?

Don’t forget, top WRs are now getting $25-30M a year. The draft is the way to keep the cupboards filled.
    Here are some hilights. Again I like the Tyler Lockett comparison, but I think Lockett had better speed, while Addison is a better route runner. For my money Smith-Njigba is a better WR.

I still like going BPA of O line, D line or CB with 17 and 32.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

i want gonzalez but i think after his combine he bumped his way into the top 15
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Addison is not even close to the player Chase is tho , Addison isnt as fast isnt as strong and isnt as physical...

if you want to site Burrow and Chase fine ...

Ill counter with

Rudolph and James Washington

the truth will lie somewhere in the middle and frankly thats not good enough for the 1st round
    The guy reminds me of devontae smith. Slight build is a detriment but body control and run after catch are phenomenal IMO. True not as physical as Chase not even close. Then again either is Smith.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Here are some hilights. Again I like the Tyler Lockett comparison, but I think Lockett had better speed, while Addison is a better route runner. For my money Smith-Njigba is a better WR.

I still like going BPA of O line, D line or CB with 17 and 32.

Good hilights, thanks for posting it. The bright spot is he runs foward not backwards after the catch.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Again I like the Tyler Lockett comparison, but I think Lockett had better speed, while Addison is a better route runner.
    You make my point. Lockett's cap hit in 24 and 25 is $24M a year. Addison at #32 would be about $2.5M -- literally 10% of Lockett's number.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

You make my point. Lockett's cap hit in 24 and 25 is $24M a year. Addison at #32 would be about $2.5M -- literally 10% of Lockett's number.
    I didnt know what point that you were making. But why compare a cap number of a guy in year 8 of his career vs a rookie?

Lockett was catching 45-50 passes a year for his first 3 years in the NFL and 500 yards a season. That was worse than Dionte Johnson stats. Maybe Addison is a cheaper version of DJ until his 2nd contract.

I didnt know what point that you were making. But why compare a cap number of a guy in year 8 of his career vs a rookie?

Lockett was catching 45-50 passes a year for his first 3 years in the NFL and 500 yards a season. That was worse than Dionte Johnson stats. Maybe Addison is a cheaper version of DJ until his 2nd contract.
    My point was that top WRs are making $25M a year now and only going up. Thus it’s needed to draft good receivers to keep the cupboard filled. Having receivers on first contracts is going to be about as important as QBs at this point.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    The guy reminds me of devontae smith. Slight build is a detriment but body control and run after catch are phenomenal IMO. True not as physical as Chase not even close. Then again either is Smith.
    we have that guy already tho ...

slight body .... CHECK

run after catch being phenomenal ..... CHECK

not very physical......CHECK

we drafted him last year and he is now healthy he is just a FASTER and QUICKER version , we don't need a stable of smurfs , one is enough

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There is just no need to draft a WR in the top 40.

There are so many good WRs coming out every draft class.

The Steelers currently have plenty of small shifty WRs and only two bigger bodied guys. I am not counting Boykin as an actual WR.

I think they should draft some size. I keep seeing that he might grade out in this range.... and I know that Colbert wouldn't be able to resist Johnny Mingo with pick #120. Dude is big, fast, has some SEC production, but raw enough that his ceiling is much higher than is being talked about. I have no idea how Khan will feel about it.

But I can't help but think about how he comes in as the 3rd or 4th WR and in two years...he and Pickens are roaming the boundary for Pickett. Goodness gracious...two WR's with their size, contested catch abilities, and willingness to block?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Plus we already have Calvin Austin to figure out first. Is he going play? With DJ signed through next year I'm fine with DJ, Pickens and Austin.

So maybe somebody like AT Perry from Wake Forest later in the draft to round out the WR room. Or just sign a vet after the draft like they did Boykin last year.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Resurrecting this. The Steelers have signed 2 OT,a starting CB and 2 ILB, if Addison is there at 32 the Steelers would be foolish not to take him. The Chiefs,Bengals and Bills are loaded with WR talent. Looking at the Steelers WR room leaves a LOT to be desired. Pickens is a stud but beyond him what do they have? DJ isn't producing, Calvin Austin has yet to take a snap and the rest are bench players/camp bodies. The Steelers simply don't have the firepower to compete with the AFCs Elite teams. Addison would give them the opportunity to match the skillset needed to be explosive Offensively.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

It's doubtful Addison will be there at 32. The Steelers only have two OT rostered right now...

Our premiere pick is going to be the first rounder, so if Addison is there at 32 I'm OK with taking him, but I'd rather have Mazi Smith at that spot. "but mah only 40% of the snaaaaps" - well duh. If you could have a player that makes your team automatically dominate on one out of three defensive snaps... you get that guy. We don't play in base much but we might slightly more if we had you know, the personnel to do so.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If one wanted to make the argument that another talented WR would help the offense and KP grow and compete in the AFC arms race -- that is actually a fairly solid argument.

But I will put this out there: Jordan Addison is over-rated and a "one trick" pony NFL WR. He can run fast. That's it. If the team had zero WRs on the roster, I wouldn't pick Addison in the first round.

Obviously an extreme position and not reality. But I really believe Addison is being super over-rated by Steelers watchers because of his Pitt and KP connections. Plus, they basically have an even faster version of Addison already on the roster in Austin III. Now, Austin III may never see the field for all I know. But he and Addison profile extremely similar in the NFL. Super speedy slot guys that need schemed away from physical CB coverage and into space to operate against LBs and Safeties.

If they went with Addison in the first, they better be running 3 WR sets as the base offense. And everything they have done with drafting Harris, PF, little Heyward, and then signing every mauling interior OL available this FA period indicates that they are NOT interested in going 3 wide pass wacky. Instead, they want to smash defenses into the dust and then hit them with big plays from speed guys...which - I acknowledge - Addison is fast.

Long story short -- Addison doesn't fit on the roster well. He doesn't project as a dominant #1 WR at the NFL level. And Austin III is another version of the same guy. So...nope in the first two rounds for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If one wanted to make the argument that another talented WR would help the offense and KP grow and compete in the AFC arms race -- that is actually a fairly solid argument.

But I will put this out there: Jordan Addison is over-rated and a "one trick" pony NFL WR. He can run fast. That's it. If the team had zero WRs on the roster, I wouldn't pick Addison in the first round.

Obviously an extreme position and not reality. But I really believe Addison is being super over-rated by Steelers watchers because of his Pitt and KP connections. Plus, they basically have an even faster version of Addison already on the roster in Austin III. Now, Austin III may never see the field for all I know. But he and Addison profile extremely similar in the NFL. Super speedy slot guys that need schemed away from physical CB coverage and into space to operate against LBs and Safeties.

If they went with Addison in the first, they better be running 3 WR sets as the base offense. And everything they have done with drafting Harris, PF, little Heyward, and then signing every mauling interior OL available this FA period indicates that they are NOT interested in going 3 wide pass wacky. Instead, they want to smash defenses into the dust and then hit them with big plays from speed guys...which - I acknowledge - Addison is fast.

Long story short -- Addison doesn't fit on the roster well. He doesn't project as a dominant #1 WR at the NFL level. And Austin III is another version of the same guy. So...nope in the first two rounds for me.
    Other than the fact that virtually every mock draft put out nationally has him going in the first round. If anything, it seems Steelers fans are the least supportive.

Other than the fact that virtually every mock draft put out nationally has him going in the first round. If anything, it seems Steelers fans are the least supportive.
    OK. Then Steelers fans are under-rating him and others are over-rating him.

Dude is under 6 feet tall, under 180#'s, struggled in college against physical coverage according to reports by people who claimed to have watched him play far far more than I have, and many of the mock draft projections I see have him going in the first round to be #2 WR or a slot guy.

It is entirely possible that he comes in and is Jaylen Waddle. But it is also possible he comes in and is John Metchie.

Ignoring the draft projections...the Steelers have 2 guys on the roster right now with his skill set in Johnson and Austin III. They have a path to another in Steven Sims if they want to - although it seems they might let him walk. Then we can look at everything else they did on offense -- they got bigger and nastier. Why go small at WR? You are already small at the position. I would prefer to see them draft another big bodied WR outside of the first round. Then have that guy man the slot as they did with Juju and tried with Claypool.

Admittedly, my specific preferences are almost certainly influencing my perception of Addison, but in a weak WR class overall according to many, he gets pushed up into first round consideration. I just don't see it from the little I have seen of his game. But more than that, I do not think he advances the Steelers offense to an appreciable degree. Unless people are figuring he is the next Tyreek Hill and I have not heard that type of impact attached to his scouting reports as of yet.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Offensive weapons in the draft are less about overall athleticism and more about fit. Draft picks right now need to be more specialized to how the Steelers want to use them than just blue chip athlete. Can the WR get open within 5-10 yards of LOS? Can he make contested catches regularly? How advanced and savvy is his route tree? Top end speed is a need but we seem to have that with CA3. I think we need a more well-rounded, experienced, and specialized WR. Just my thoughts.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

What are the other options at the WR position in the 2023 draft in the first 4 round?

I have no opinion about how good Addison might be. As I stated in my OP, I’m not a Pitt fan and never watched him. However, in today’s NFL economy, drafting really good WRs is the biggest value in player personnel. Top tier WRs go for $25-30M per year now. Having them on rookie contracts helps a team more than any other position. You might argue that the QB position is more important to have on a rookie deal. But that’s only true if you draft a franchise QB. And inevitably the team will re-sign him to a mega deal. Top receivers are easier to find and easier to replace. So I advocate using a high pick (1-3) on a receiver every year. It keeps the cupboard stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What are the other options at the WR position in the 2023 draft in the first 4 round?
    If you want smaller and faster -- Tyler Scott Cincinnati or Marvin Mims Oklahoma
    If you want bigger - my two favorites to run out of the slot for the Steelers are Mingo Ole Miss and Ford Wheaton WVU. Both guys could play out of the slot right away, would be a big fast weapon on Canada's favorite jet sweep call, and both are reportedly willing and somewhat effective run blockers. That sounds like the old Juju slot role to me. The one that Claypool pouted his way out of town from. So....try again?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no opinion about how good Addison might be. As I stated in my OP, I’m not a Pitt fan and never watched him. However, in today’s NFL economy, drafting really good WRs is the biggest value in player personnel. Top tier WRs go for $25-30M per year now. Having them on rookie contracts helps a team more than any other position. You might argue that the QB position is more important to have on a rookie deal. But that’s only true if you draft a franchise QB. And inevitably the team will re-sign him to a mega deal. Top receivers are easier to find and easier to replace. So I advocate using a high pick (1-3) on a receiver every year. It keeps the cupboard stocked.
    Agreed. I think the Steelers should draft one or two this year if they can....just not Addison. He may end up being super good...but he is not the best fit for this roster and this offense right now.

I really think they need size and blocking at the position. Then develop that guy into a complete WR. The path they took with Juju and they tried to put Claypool on.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    OK. Then Steelers fans are under-rating him and others are over-rating him.

Dude is under 6 feet tall, under 180#'s, struggled in college against physical coverage according to reports by people who claimed to have watched him play far far more than I have, and many of the mock draft projections I see have him going in the first round to be #2 WR or a slot guy.

It is entirely possible that he comes in and is Jaylen Waddle. But it is also possible he comes in and is John Metchie.

Ignoring the draft projections...the Steelers have 2 guys on the roster right now with his skill set in Johnson and Austin III. They have a path to another in Steven Sims if they want to - although it seems they might let him walk. Then we can look at everything else they did on offense -- they got bigger and nastier. Why go small at WR? You are already small at the position. I would prefer to see them draft another big bodied WR outside of the first round. Then have that guy man the slot as they did with Juju and tried with Claypool.

Admittedly, my specific preferences are almost certainly influencing my perception of Addison, but in a weak WR class overall according to many, he gets pushed up into first round consideration. I just don't see it from the little I have seen of his game. But more than that, I do not think he advances the Steelers offense to an appreciable degree. Unless people are figuring he is the next Tyreek Hill and I have not heard that type of impact attached to his scouting reports as of yet.
    I think between the fact you have a physical freak in Pickens and the comfort level/experience Pickett has with Addison that he fits quite well. I watched Addison at Pitt and think he is very much worth the high pick (early 2nd).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Will Addison be the best player on the board for the Steelers at 32?

I don’t think so. Opinions may vary.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If he winds up being the 32nd pick, I wouldn’t be mad about it. They know what they are doing at WR so if that’s the BPA on their board, I’d be good with it…maybe excited for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Will Addison be the best player on the board for the Steelers at 32?

I don’t think so. Opinions may vary.
    I agree , he isnt a top 32 player in my eyes if going BPA or even BPA at a Pos of need he isnt my pick at 32 as i do not value WR that high as a team need in this draft and I do not view Addison as a top 32 player in the draft ( more like 50ish)
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now