Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky Train with Steelers' Receivers in Florida

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky Train with Steelers' Receivers in Florida

Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky Train with Steelers' Receivers in Florida

by Alex Kozora

As they said they would the Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterbacks- Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky- have invited several of their teammates to Florida to train during the offseason. At the least, WR's Diontae Johnson and Calvin Austin III are there, the two along with Pickett recently sharing these Instagram stories.

It's especially nice to see Austin down there, catching up on time missed after nearly his entire rookie year was wiped out by a foot injury. It might also be a sign of how healthy he's gotten if he's able to train and work out with the rest of the group.

Read the rest here: https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/ke...rs-in-florida/

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky Train with Steelers' Receivers in Florida

This is great to see. Major kudos to Trubisky, even though he knows he's at the very least the QB2 or could be traded/cut. Better to get the work in and not be a douche about it.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Let’s just hope that no one drinks and decides to go for a drive at 5 in the morning. That still has to mess with Trubisky’s mind.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    This is great to see. Major kudos to Trubisky, even though he knows he's at the very least the QB2 or could be traded/cut. Better to get the work in and not be a douche about it.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Agreed. We don't know everything, but we know Trubisky cares enough to do this knowing that it is best for the team.

Showing that type of leadership and maturity will serve him well whether he is playing football in Pittsburgh or not. That only enhances his chances of being sought after by other teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Let’s just hope that no one drinks and decides to go for a drive at 5 in the morning. That still has to mess with Trubisky’s mind.

I'm sure that horrible incident is on the minds of everyone there.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Trubisky is an upgrade over Rudolph, who is an upgrade over Dobbs, who is an upgrade over Jones. The backup spot has improved.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Trubisky is an upgrade over Rudolph, who is an upgrade over Dobbs, who is an upgrade over Jones. The backup spot has improved.
    agree. he's not a starter but he can come off the bench and win a couple games.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

But at what price?...8 millions is maybe too much

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Compared to other teams, they are hardly spending anything on the quarterback position.

I wish he was making less than $8 mil, but in the grand scheme of things they are in a great position financially at quarterback even if they keep Trubisky at that price.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Honestly, I don't care about the price. We currently have a starter and backup QB for the combined price of around $11M. AND both positions are upgraded. That's a good thing.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Honestly, I don't care about the price. We currently have a starter and backup QB for the combined price of around $11M. AND both positions are upgraded. That's a good thing.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Compared to other teams, they are hardly spending anything on the quarterback position.

I wish he was making less than $8 mil, but in the grand scheme of things they are in a great position financially at quarterback even if they keep Trubisky at that price.
    good point!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't think that's a good way of looking at it. For $8 million, you could get a pretty badass player. Instead we have a guy who sucks at quarterback. You know that halfway competent left tackle you guys are always talking about? We could probably get one - but instead, we've got Mitch Trubisky, doing nothing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think that's a good way of looking at it. For $8 million, you could get a pretty badass player. Instead we have a guy who sucks at quarterback. You know that halfway competent left tackle you guys are always talking about? We could probably get one - but instead, we've got Mitch Trubisky, doing nothing.
    apparently he’s being paid 8 million this year to mentor KP.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    apparently he’s being paid 8 million this year to mentor KP.
    If having a mentor for him is that important, the least they could do is find someone who was actually good.

I wonder what Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell are doing? They were both huge draft busts too, and I bet neither of them would cost $8 million and a roster spot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I don't like the idea that because you have the starter on the cheap that you can overpay for the backup, because it still makes for a cheap QB room. That money is better spent elsewhere. And Trubisky is a bum.,

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't like the idea that because you have the starter on the cheap that you can overpay for the backup, because it still makes for a cheap QB room. That money is better spent elsewhere. And Trubisky is a bum.,

I completely understand not wanting to pay the backup way too much money. Where I disagree is saying that Trubisky is a bum. While he is wildly inconsistent as a starter, I believe he can be one of the best backup QBs in the NFL. His lasting impression on Steelers fans is his horrid mistake-riddled performance against the Ravens, but I don't think that is who he is. He generally takes better care of the ball than that, and is capable of doing some things that most backups cannot.

With everything I just said, I agree that he is overpaid. In fact.....why have one overpaid backup when you can have two!

Sam Darnold CAR $7,561,929
    Mitch Trubisky PIT $7,142,500
    Jimmy Garoppolo SF $7,000,000
    Teddy Bridgewater MIA $6,500,000
    Case Keenum BUF $6,000,000
    Tyrod Taylor NYG $5,500,000
    Mason Rudolph PIT $5,080,000
    Jacoby Brissett CLE $4,650,000
    Joe Flacco NYJ $3,500,000
    Nick Foles IND $3,100,000

*Rankings are subject to change week-to-week as teams sign new players.

https://boardroom.tv/highest-paid-backup-qb-nfl-2022/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think the quality of league wide backups is being significantly overestimated.

I am not a Trubisky fan but there’s not a lot of backups that are any good either.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Trubisky is no better than the performances that Mason turned in over the years.

As backup last season Mitch had been great vs Bucs,bad vs Ravens and good vs Panthers,so overall he is a good backup

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

His CAP hit for this year is $10.6 million. That's way too much for a backup. I know Pickett is dirt cheap on his rookie contract but if Trubisky was getting paid backup money that would free up $7-8 million for other positions. The good thing is Trubisky's deal is up after this season, but if they can trade him and sign another backup I'm all for it. But they won't because Tomlin will say Mitch knows our offense (as does every high school coordinator and defense in the NFL).

The rumor mill says Kahn is thinking to extend MT as the backup. That would(and should) put his contract numbers in line. MT is a better QB than Rudolph. I know that’s a low bar, but Mitch is an upgrade. I also think Mitch is a better QB for KP right now than Rudolph. But we’re talking backup QBs here.

I think Trubisky’s trade value is zilch. Guys like him can be found on waivers for less than half the price. It’s got to be cut, extend or play it out. I prefer the former.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The rumor mill says Kahn is thinking to extend MT as the backup. That would(and should) put his contract numbers in line. MT is a better QB than Rudolph. I know that’s a low bar, but Mitch is an upgrade. I also think Mitch is a better QB for KP right now than Rudolph. But we’re talking backup QBs here.
    If that is the plan and they can rework his deal to lower his salary and cap hits then so be it. He's never going to be a starter in this league and should realize that.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

As backup last season Mitch had been great vs Bucs,bad vs Ravens and good vs Panthers,so overall he is a good backup
    As long as he stuck to the short passing game and didn't attack downfield he was serviceable/ok (like in those two games). Let the defense and running game win the game for you. That's what he should do.

when he tried to be a hero like in the Ravens game - things fell apart really badly.

I don't see too much difference between him and MR honestly. Except one knows his role as a backup and the other still thinks he's a starter - which gets him in trouble.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

trubisky = mike tomczak
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

I'd like to see KP increase his arm strength and improve his timing on those long passes (sideline and middle of the field). I hope they let him call some of his own plays as well. Work with the receivers and Sully. Don't need Mitch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    As long as he stuck to the short passing game and didn't attack downfield he was serviceable/ok (like in those two games). Let the defense and running game win the game for you. That's what he should do.

when he tried to be a hero like in the Ravens game - things fell apart really badly.

I don't see too much difference between him and MR honestly. Except one knows his role as a backup and the other still thinks he's a starter - which gets him in trouble.
    What about the start of the season where he stuck with the short pass and stunk the place out, and we lost all four games and subsequently cost ourselves a playoff spot?

I don't care whether this guy is slightly better than most backups, the same as most backups, whatever - I don't want to see him on the field again for us for any reason. Just having him on the roster is inviting trouble. Go sign someone cheapish, trade Trubisky for like a fifth-round pick, and use that on some what-the-hell QB prospect who probably sucks but might not. You could not do much worse, so sky's the limit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

toughest position in sports today, and some are willing to short change it. LOL. EFF Mason. KP is the starter and Mitch is QB2, get over it. You harp on spending 8-12 mil for the starting QB and his backup????? That's frickin hilarious. Try being a team with a legit QB1, who other teams in your conference fear, and see how much that costs you.

I like KP but the evaluation is far from over. BUT he is on a rookie contract and that can be very beneficial if you build the team with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What about the start of the season where he stuck with the short pass and stunk the place out, and we lost all four games and subsequently cost ourselves a playoff spot?

I don't care whether this guy is slightly better than most backups, the same as most backups, whatever - I don't want to see him on the field again for us for any reason. Just having him on the roster is inviting trouble. Go sign someone cheapish, trade Trubisky for like a fifth-round pick, and use that on some what-the-hell QB prospect who probably sucks but might not. You could not do much worse, so sky's the limit.
    Yeah, he kept missing receivers on those short routes in the beginning of the season. That's what he's known for; missing on a lot of short and medium passes. Maybe coming in as backup he felt less pressure and connected on more of those easy passes - I don't know. But I agree, KP would be better served being backed up by a veteran on the downside of their career who's had success, like Keenum (as opposed to a guy who's still chomping at the bit to be a starter). Ryan would be a great fit too but i know he's due alot of money in 23 - not sure how that would work out.