Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches are better than Tomlin?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches are better than Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I mean you can teach culture to someone, sure. But being good at teaching and instilling that culture in a group is not something that many are good at or are able to learn to be good at. You end up with a poor copy that doesn't hold up. Pete Carroll is another culture coach with a shallow and not highly successful tree.

I have no idea if it is correct or not, but just something I have been thinking about reading through this thread and the other one about coaching trees...
    I think you are correct with that point of view. I also think a coach being very successful without a lot of good to great assistants around him shows what a good coach he actually is. The focus is always to get everyone on the same page. That is what a team is.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches are better than Tomlin?

I mean you can teach culture to someone, sure.
    Not to be too exact, but culture is caught, not taught. That would take a few years most likely.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Not to be too exact, but culture is caught, not taught. That would take a few years most likely.
    I am not following.

You teach culture by words, actions, and examples in everyday tasks and approach. Or is that not what we are talking about?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I am not following.

You teach culture by words, actions, and examples in everyday tasks and approach. Or is that not what we are talking about?
    Caught is common lingo with organizational culture setting. It simply means it’s not taught in a classroom but modeled with behavior, attitude, words, environment, etc.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Caught is common lingo with organizational culture setting. It simply means it’s not taught in a classroom but modeled with behavior, attitude, words, environment, etc.
    Ok. I got it. I think we mean the same thing. I actually like that phrasing.

Ok. I got it. I think we mean the same thing. I actually like that phrasing.
    We do. I'm a strong proponent of culture. I've been influenced by it and I've influenced others with it. In sports, there are winning cultures and losing cultures that permeate organizations. Just like the Browns, they can't get out of their own way with their losing culture, even when they were talked about as the next great thing a couple years ago. Belichick couldn't win there. I really believe that if Tomlin took over the Browns he'd produce winning seasons.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Tomlin is hard to quantify.
    Obviously most players like playing for him. I do think he gets respect and when things start going off course the team never gets away from him. Last season being a perfect example. After a 2-6 start the team could easily have derailed ( of course many hoped for that to go along with the superior draft position).
    On the other hand there's the lack of a coaching tree. How do you last 15 years only to have never mentored a successful coach? Is this a pay thing?(Steelers coaching staff among lowest paid in the league.) Is it Tomlin not wanting pushback from more competent and/or proven assistants? (Flores being a notable exception)

The never having a losing season does matter. Ask anyone who ever competed in anything meaningful. Teams that finish with less than 7 wins more often than not stay stagnated in the low rent territory.

But the playoff drought also matters. And it's not just the low number of playoff wins in the past decade. it's also how and who they've lost to lately. When you're supposed to be a defensive coach to have given up 40+ points in each of your last 3 playoff games. To lose 2 of those games as home favorites! Hard to make that smell good!

Back to the plus side. He's a good man who represents the team and city well. And that matters in Pittsburgh. Continuity also matters.

A case could have been made to fire him after the 2020 late season and playoff meltdown. But all things considered I think he's got pretty much everything there's been to get out of the last 2 seasons. So he's earned the right to be where he's at. But to stay there the needle needs to go! I think positive steps have been made but more have to come. The window is there, by 2024 we need to be on the short list of contenders and show an ability to consistently compete (and win) against top tier teams.

So I really have no answer to the question posed. I mean really what's it matter who you think is better or worse? The only question that matters is whether he good enough or not to win another Championship?

To be determined.
    Welcome back, stranger!

We do. I'm a strong proponent of culture. I've been influenced by it and I've influenced others with it. In sports, there are winning cultures and losing cultures that permeate organizations. Just like the Browns, they can't get out of their own way with their losing culture, even when they were talked about as the next great thing a couple years ago. Belichick couldn't win there. I really believe that if Tomlin took over the Browns he'd produce winning seasons.
    That’s interesting and I’ve never thought about your Browns hypothetical but I strongly suspect you’re correct.

Holy crap! The return of Zulater! Great times!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Welcome back, stranger!
    Thanks!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebetter View Post
    Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches in your opinion are better than Mike Tomlin?

Quite a few. Tomlin is the only active head coach not to win a playoff game is six years and it will be seven years at the best and that is being optimistic. I say about half the coaches are better. Tomlin continues to do less with what he has than others. He's no offensive mind and his coaching is out dated. He does not grant detailed one on one interviews ( why ? ) either and refuses to be on shows like hard knocks because he would likely be exposed as an empty suit.

He was the only coach on draft day at the table not to have a lap top ( does he know who to used one? ), and isn't miked up for us to hear during games and doesn't talk much to Pickett or the players in general. Hmm...

What does he do well. Asking the board. Red Flag challenges? Clock Management? Coaching strategy? Play calling?

He might be a good guy to have a beer with. If is draft time. So where is the trade Tomlin for picks thread? I wonder what the Steelers can get. Two first round picks? There is always one sucker out there.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches are better than Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Quite a few. Tomlin is the only active head coach not to win a playoff game is six years and it will be seven years at the best and that is being optimistic. I say about half the coaches are better. Tomlin continues to do less with what he has than others. He's no offensive mind and his coaching is out dated. He does not grant detailed one on one interviews ( why ? ) either and refuses to be on shows like hard knocks because he would likely be exposed as an empty suit.

He was the only coach on draft day at the table not to have a lap top ( does he know who to used one? ), and isn't miked up for us to hear during games and doesn't talk much to Pickett or the players in general. Hmm...

What does he do well. Asking the board. Red Flag challenges? Clock Management? Coaching strategy? Play calling?

He might be a good guy to have a beer with. If is draft time. So where is the trade Tomlin for picks thread? I wonder what the Steelers can get. Two first round picks? There is always one sucker out there.
    You say "quite a few" and then go on to list...NONE.

#FAKENEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

This is a new record for dumb-ass takes. Sweet Googly Moogly. It has to be hard to go through life with that severe of a deficit to overcome everyday.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

If you’re going to post something this ignorant……..at least read what you’ve written. “Does he know who to used one?”………REALLY!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

okay Joel Buchsbaum, looks like you post the same drivel everywhere.

and you're just as ignorant and repetitive on the other board you post on.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    If you’re going to post something this ignorant……..at least read what you’ve written. “Does he know who to used one?”………REALLY!!
    Yep Six Dongs needs to proofread before cutting and pasting.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler