Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the next Steeler...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who is the next Steeler...

Who is the next Steeler to enter the Hall of Fame? We know Ben is up in 4 years. Anyone make it before him? Harrison? Ward? Also, does AB go in together with Ben? How funny would that be? He could receive his gold jacket in jail (by then).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Who is the next Steeler...

I still have no idea why L.C. Greenwood isn't already in. I would say next is possibly Hines Ward. If not him, then it's Ben.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think AB goes…

Hopefully Hines is next. Would be cool if he went in with Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think Harrison gets in before Hines, and maybe before Ben. The national perception of Harrison is much stronger than Steeler Nation perceives. I think all sports' HOFs are moving away from a purely statistical evaluation. Baseball is doing it and they are 100x more stat-centric than football.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think AB goes…

Hopefully Hines is next. Would be cool if he went in with Ben.
    I disagree. I think AB makes it in based on his on-field work.

4 1st team AP selections
    1 2nd team AP selection
    2x OPoY 2nd place
    1x OPoY 3rd place
    7 Pro-Bowls (for what that's worth anymore),
    2x league leader in yards gained.
    2x league leader in receptions.
    1x league leader for TDs.
    1x league leader in yards per game

His issue is his personality and off-field/team issues. A good comparison is Terrell Owens, for several reasons. His stats are

5 first team AP selections.
    6 Pro-Bowls
    3x leader in TDs
    1x leader in yards per game
    1x 2nd place (tied) OPOY.
    (2x leader in longest play but that's not really a telling stat).

Moreover, AB has a higher catch percentage (66 to 57.7), just 150 less total receptions in 4 less years (928 to 1078), and around 3500 or so less yards (again, in four less years).

I think he gets in.

Now, that said, who will get in next? Ben has five years to wait. So, who might get in before him? The ones that come to mind are Ward and Harrison. If I had to choose, I think either Ben or Harrison gets in first. I'm not sure Ward will make it, and it's a shame because he should. But he doesn't have the all-pro selections or the accolades the others have due to the era he played in, in Pittsburgh. Sadly, they don't take that into account enough. As for AB, I think he'll suffer the TO fate and have to wait a few years due to his antics.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What about Pouncey or DeCastro?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If this is just for the on field,AB is a first ballot HOF and this is a easy decision.....But if his off field issues continue to be awful,he could wait a very long time....T.O wait 2 years even if he had no off field issues....

AB should and will get in eventually. But maybe not soon and maybe after he's dead. Who's inviting that nut to speak at that ceremony?

- - - Updated - - -

Has AB officially retired?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If this is just for the on field,AB is a first ballot HOF and this is a easy decision.....But if his off field issues continue to be awful,he could wait a very long time....T.O wait 2 years even if he had no off field issues....
    If he comes out strong playing the CTE card, his transgressions will be forgiven. He's got 4 years to work on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

4 1st team AP selections
    1 2nd team AP selection
    2x OPoY 2nd place
    1x OPoY 3rd place

His issue is his personality and off-field/team issues. A good comparison is Terrell Owens, for several reasons. His stats are

6 Pro-Bowls
    3x leader in TDs

Moreover, AB has a higher catch percentage (66 to 57.7), just 150 less total receptions in 4 less years (928 to 1078), and around 3500 or so less yards (again, in four less years).

I think he gets in.

Now, that said, who will get in next? Ben has five years to wait. So, who might get in before him? The ones that come to mind are Ward and Harrison. If I had to choose, I think either Ben or Harrison gets in first. I'm not sure Ward will make it, and it's a shame because he should. But he doesn't have the all-pro selections or the accolades the others have due to the era he played in, in Pittsburgh. Sadly, they don't take that into account enough. As for AB, I think he'll suffer the TO fate and have to wait a few years due to his antics.
    You make a strong case for AB. Ben only has 4 left, BTW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

Has AB officially retired?
    Good point.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

what you gotta ask yourself is can the story of the league be told without "said player" during his prospective era .... if you answer yes they shouldn't get in , if you answer no then they should be in ....

Ward has rules made because of his play so IMO you can not tell the story of the league without a mention of Ward from his era thus he gets in ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

4 1st team AP selections
    1 2nd team AP selection
    2x OPoY 2nd place
    1x OPoY 3rd place

6 Pro-Bowls
    3x leader in TDs

I think he gets in.

The comparison of AB to TO isn’t remotely close. That’s apples to Lego. Their “off-field” issues are no where close. The only way he gets in is if the CTE bumps him in or if he does a total 180 and accepts responsibility for being an asshole…which no one here thinks he has the capability of doing…

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

AB is not getting in, the last 4 years the only news about him was bad news and worse news. The NFL wants to distance themselves from him ASAP

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There's no way Brown gets in. He's 24th in receiving yards, behind many players who didn't get in, 25th in TDs, also behind many players who didn't get in, and he's a fucking asshole. Not only that, he was such an asshole that it aborted his career halfway through and pissed off nearly everyone he crossed paths with, which DOES count against him.

He's basically got Hines Ward's career stats except with a lot more negatives. No one is going to enshrine that clown among the all-time greats of the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

When he's flat broke (soon), AB will try to reinvent himself into a sympathetic figure.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There's no way Brown gets in. He's 24th in receiving yards, behind many players who didn't get in, 25th in TDs, also behind many players who didn't get in, and he's a fucking asshole. Not only that, he was such an asshole that it aborted his career halfway through and pissed off nearly everyone he crossed paths with, which DOES count against him.

He's basically got Hines Ward's career stats except with a lot more negatives. No one is going to enshrine that clown among the all-time greats of the game.
    If AB is not in,it will be because of his off field issues,not because of his career stats....Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HOF with similar stats that AB....

If AB is not in,it will be because of his off field issues,not because of his career stats....Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HOF with similar stats that AB....
    Their numbers are very close with AB having a slight edge…basically 3 extra seasons (which are the equivalent of one full season). Take that out and Johnson has the slight edge. The difference is, obviously, Johnson went out at the prime and was an upstanding player. AB went out like a mess…burning every possible bridge he could on the way down and is still spiraling out of control. Where’s Calvin Johnson these days? Who knows but he’s not in the news twice a month…

AB has the numbers and was well on his way to being a first ballot WR…which is very hard to do. Had he stayed in Pittsburgh with Ben…he may have eclipsed Jerry Rice’s production…he was certainly on pace…

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

His off-the-field issues carried over to become on-the-field problems too. There is really no comparison for his last three seasons, where he should have been All-Pro caliber, but instead put up the numbers of a shitty #3 receiver while creating so much negativity out of thin air that not even his teammates could stand him and he embarrassed everyone in the organization all the way up to the owner on every team he played for. And that was on full display for THREE YEARS, not just a quick and head-scratching end, but an extended part of his career.

Take someone like Terrell Owens, who was a loudmouth and a diva, but at the end of the day still produced at an elite level, and there's no comparison at all. Maybe the closest example would be Charles Haley, who was a literal madman (look up some of the very graphic stories about how he used to jerk off in front of people basically everywhere), and yet somehow even he managed to piss people off less than Antonio Brown. I mean, Brown completely, scorched-earth style fucked over 4 teams in a little under 3 years. That's an eighth of the league. AND he embarrassed himself with his inability to play football while doing that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    His off-the-field issues carried over to become on-the-field problems too. There is really no comparison for his last three seasons, where he should have been All-Pro caliber, but instead put up the numbers of a shitty #3 receiver while creating so much negativity out of thin air that not even his teammates could stand him and he embarrassed everyone in the organization all the way up to the owner on every team he played for. And that was on full display for THREE YEARS, not just a quick and head-scratching end, but an extended part of his career.

Take someone like Terrell Owens, who was a loudmouth and a diva, but at the end of the day still produced at an elite level, and there's no comparison at all. Maybe the closest example would be Charles Haley, who was a literal madman (look up some of the very graphic stories about how he used to jerk off in front of people basically everywhere), and yet somehow even he managed to piss people off less than Antonio Brown. I mean, Brown completely, scorched-earth style fucked over 4 teams in a little under 3 years. That's an eighth of the league. AND he embarrassed himself with his inability to play football while doing that.
    1 100% agree with you on this

On the other hand, he did add a Super Bowl victory to his resume during his scorched earth tour. Those don't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    scorched earth tour.

On the other hand, he did add a Super Bowl victory to his resume during his scorched earth tour. Those don't go away.
    He was along for the ride on that one, in a fucked up season that barely counted. The kind of thing that makes you go "oh yeah, I guess he WAS on a team that won the Super Bowl, I had to look it up," not "that guy WON a Super Bowl."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

To be fair,the bucs would win even without him(he had missing almost 2 playoffs game during this run)...He was just a luxury and the moment that AB become very important to the bucs(in 2021 after the Chris Godwin injury),AB imploded like crazy once again!

- - - Updated - - -

I also put almost no value of the 2 rings of Kevin Durant with the warriors in the NBA

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

It will be Ben. There are way too many Steelers in the HoF already so I don't see them bending over to put guys like AB, Harrison or Ward in.

To be fair,the bucs would win even without him(he had missing almost 2 playoffs game during this run)...He was just a luxury and the moment that AB become very important to the bucs(in 2021 after the Chris Godwin injury),AB imploded like crazy once again!

- - - Updated - - -

I also put almost no value of the 2 rings of Kevin Durant with the warriors in the NBA
    AB was a contributor to that Super Bowl run. Not liking him doesn’t change that.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not before Ben, but in a slow year Harrison gets in. He was the most feared man in the game for 3-4 years.

AB was a contributor to that Super Bowl run. Not liking him doesn’t change that.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not before Ben, but in a slow year Harrison gets in. He was the most feared man in the game for 3-4 years.
    But without AB in Tampa, would the results have been that much different? His numbers were very pedestrian and not something that Scottie Miller couldn’t (and did) handle.

But without AB in Tampa, would the results have been that much different? His numbers were very pedestrian and not something that Scottie Miller couldn’t (and did) handle.
    It would have been the same....If we look at the playoff games that AB played a full game were against a 7-9 team in the wild card round and in the super bowl when the chiefs had only scored 9 points... Hard to think that the bucs would have lost one of the 2 games without AB

My point is, I know AB is going to think that the super bowl was a lot on him, but the bucs would have won without him, no doubt...he was just a luxury.If your team rely on AB, you're in big trouble, especially since 2018

And Ben sucked in his first Super Bowl. So?

He was great in the 3 road playoffs games....Without Ben,I don't think they even make the playoffs in the loaded AFC in 2005

Thing is, Scottie Miller was pretty productive out of that spot. Probably not as productive as AB and probably didn’t help draw defenders away from Evans and Godwin but I’m not sure that much would’ve changed with the Bucs offense and the ultimate end result without AB.

Do you think he had that kind of game changing impact to vault the Bucs to the Super Bowl? I don’t remember it being that kind of impact…

There would’ve been no Super Bowls without Ben…

Thing is, Scottie Miller was pretty productive out of that spot. Probably not as productive as AB and probably didn’t help draw defenders away from Evans and Godwin but I’m not sure that much would’ve changed with the Bucs offense and the ultimate end result without AB.

Do you think he had that kind of game changing impact to vault the Bucs to the Super Bowl? I don’t remember it being that kind of impact…

There would’ve been no Super Bowls without Ben…
    My point is that people don't have to discredit everything about a player to prove a point. He caught 42 passes in 7 games for the Bucs that year. His arrival coincided with them turning their season around. I remember watching it. He's an idiot. I'm just saying he has a Super Bowl win to his credit.

- - - Updated - - -

He was great in the 3 road playoffs games....Without Ben,I don't think they even make the playoffs in the loaded AFC in 2005
    Yeah and that wasn't my point. My point was people will find fault when that's what they want to do. I hear lots of media types discrediting Ben for that Super Bowl and never mentioning the three playoff games to get them there.