Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the next Steeler...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Who is the next Steeler...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think Harrison gets in before Hines, and maybe before Ben. The national perception of Harrison is much stronger than Steeler Nation perceives. I think all sports' HOFs are moving away from a purely statistical evaluation. Baseball is doing it and they are 100x more stat-centric than football.
    Completely agree. Harrison was impactful in his prime, DPOY and arguably one of the top 5 defenders in the league for a few years at the height of his game.

Hines Ward was honestly never one of the top 5 receivers in the league in any of his years, but just played well for a long time and piled up statistics, much like Fred Taylor did as a RB for the Jags. I am not sure if he ever gets in to the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Completely agree. Harrison was impactful in his prime, DPOY and arguably one of the top 5 defenders in the league for a few years at the height of his game.

Hines Ward was honestly never one of the top 5 receivers in the league in any of his years, but just played well for a long time and piled up statistics, much like Fred Taylor did as a RB for the Jags. I am not sure if he ever gets in to the HOF.
    It's hard to believe that Taylor had a three year run where he averaged almost 1400 yards a season (02-04) and never made the Pro Bowl in any of those seasons. Now you have guys throwing 2 TDs making it. <joke>

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It's hard to believe that Taylor had a three year run where he averaged almost 1400 yards a season (02-04) and never made the Pro Bowl in any of those seasons. Now you have guys throwing 2 TDs making it. <joke>
    The AFC were loaded at the RB position at this time too with Dillon,L.T,Priest Holmes,Jamal Lewis,Portis,etc

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

john kuhn. had we kept him we'd have 20 super bowls
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    john kuhn. had we kept him we'd have 20 super bowls
    And another 15 as a head coach after he retired at around age 65.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Taylor should get in and so should Ward. If Terrell Davis can get in for a 3-Year Career, there’s a lot of people that should…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Taylor should get in and so should Ward. If Terrell Davis can get in for a 3-Year Career, there’s a lot of people that should…lol
    But at the same time,not many players has a MVP and super bowl MVP in their career like Davis!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But at the same time,not many players has a MVP and super bowl MVP in their career like Davis!
    True…but compared to other Hall of Famers careers, he’s not even in the same group…

It would be after Ben but what are the odds for Cam Heyward?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It would be after Ben but what are the odds for Cam Heyward?
    If he has two more productive years - 8-11 sacks per - I think he gets in.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If Roger Craig could be the starting RB for three Super Bowl champions and be the first player ever with 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in a season, and he's not in the HOF, no way does Davis belong there.

In fact, Craig not being in may be one of the greatest robberies of all time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If Roger Craig could be the starting RB for three Super Bowl champions and be the first player ever with 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in a season, and he's not in the HOF, no way does Davis belong there.

Craig's biggest issue in my mind is that he was on the field with players that, to this day, are still considered either the best (especially in Jerry Rice's case) or one of the best (as in top five) players of all time. And, that was with a helping cast of players like Dwight Clark, Charle Young Ronnie Lott, Randy Cross, and so on. Sure, he wasn't with all of them all the time, but there are still Steelers from the seventies who should be in the HoF over some who are already there but aren't, and most likely for the same reasons.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Craig was the fullback when they got Wendell Tyler. He became the primary RB a few years later when Tyler retired. IF Craig had been the main RB for his whole career he would have more yards and likely been in the HOF by now

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Craig was the fullback when they got Wendell Tyler. He became the primary RB a few years later when Tyler retired. IF Craig had been the main RB for his whole career he would have more yards and likely been in the HOF by now

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That's a great point.

So much of this game is who you play with and opportunity.

If Drew Bledsoe didn't get blasted in that game with a serious injury, there is a good chance that Tom Brady doesn't have anywhere near the career he did. If he was on a team with a horrible offensive line he couldn't have succeeded early in his career, and as a 6th round pick may have never gotten an opportunity. Crazy.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Idk I always viewed Craig as a good, but not dominant player. He wasn't the type of RB where opposing defenses would lose sleep over. If he had a couple more 1000-yard seasons though, he'd have made it by now, or if he hit the 10k rushing mark.

He's kinda like Le'Veon Bell if you think of it. He had 3 really good seasons, and the rest were sorta good / ok. Good player at the time, but needed 2-3 more good seasons to be HoF worthy. Definitely not a dominant force like Terrell Davis to make it with a small # of good seasons.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Idk I always viewed Craig as a good, but not dominant player. He wasn't the type of RB where opposing defenses would lose sleep over. If he had a couple more 1000-yard seasons though, he'd have made it by now, or if he hit the 10k rushing mark.

He's kinda like Le'Veon Bell if you think of it. He had 3 really good seasons, and the rest were sorta good / ok. Good player at the time, but needed 2-3 more good seasons to be HoF worthy. Definitely not a dominant force like Terrell Davis to make it with a small # of good seasons.
    Or Willie Parker.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I disagree. I think AB makes it in based on his on-field work.

4 1st team AP selections
    1 2nd team AP selection
    2x OPoY 2nd place
    1x OPoY 3rd place
    7 Pro-Bowls (for what that's worth anymore),
    2x league leader in yards gained.
    2x league leader in receptions.
    1x league leader for TDs.
    1x league leader in yards per game

His issue is his personality and off-field/team issues. A good comparison is Terrell Owens, for several reasons. His stats are

5 first team AP selections.
    6 Pro-Bowls
    3x leader in TDs
    1x leader in yards per game
    1x 2nd place (tied) OPOY.
    (2x leader in longest play but that's not really a telling stat).

Moreover, AB has a higher catch percentage (66 to 57.7), just 150 less total receptions in 4 less years (928 to 1078), and around 3500 or so less yards (again, in four less years).

I think he gets in.

Now, that said, who will get in next? Ben has five years to wait. So, who might get in before him? The ones that come to mind are Ward and Harrison. If I had to choose, I think either Ben or Harrison gets in first. I'm not sure Ward will make it, and it's a shame because he should. But he doesn't have the all-pro selections or the accolades the others have due to the era he played in, in Pittsburgh. Sadly, they don't take that into account enough. As for AB, I think he'll suffer the TO fate and have to wait a few years due to his antics.
    He quit on 4 teams.No way
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He quit on 4 teams.No way
    He’s in after his double secret probationary period of 4-5 years.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

As judged by Dean Wormer

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Would have been possible if he wasn't such a toxic idiot off the field. Particularly in his treatment of women. And now he's done with football he's most likely going to exhibit worse behaviour. So imagine voting this clown in knowing that he gets the stage at your most revered ceremony. Imagine the rest of that HOF class having to share their day with this toxic moron.

Unless he makes an extreme change for the better as a person he's not getting in.

The next Steeler to get in the Hall could be Art Rooney Jr. He ran the Steelers scouting department for all the 70's. I know Peter King is a big proponent of him.

Obviously LC should go in yesterday! He dominated HOF right tackles Jackie Slater, Ron Yary and Rayfield Wright in 4 Super Bowls! What better resume can you have than that?

But being as many are tired of the Steelers getting in don't be shocked if no Steeler gets in before Ben.

Obviously, most of this discussion revolves around Ben, Jerome, James and LC. However, I'm going throw out another name that is rarely mentioned in discussions about Hall of Fame worthy past Steelers. I'm talking about Andy Russel. He played before my time, but he certainly was a very good player: seven-time pro bowler, all pro, two-time Super Bowl Champ. I realize it's not the "very good hall of fame." And every franchise has borderline players that won't (and shouldn't) get in. Still, think he deserves consideration from "old farts" committee.

As for the question as posed, I think it will be Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Obviously, most of this discussion revolves around Ben, Jerome, James and LC. However, I'm going throw out another name that is rarely mentioned in discussions about Hall of Fame worthy past Steelers. I'm talking about Andy Russel. He played before my time, but he certainly was a very good player: seven-time pro bowler, all pro, two-time Super Bowl Champ. I realize it's not the "very good hall of fame." And every franchise has borderline players that won't (and shouldn't) get in. Still, think he deserves consideration from "old farts" committee.

As for the question as posed, I think it will be Ben.
    Bettis is already in.

Bettis is already in.
    Duh. Yea I knew that. My fingers wen't thinking. Sometimes they don't you know.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Duh. Yea I knew that. My fingers wen't thinking. Sometimes they don't you know.
    Maybe Ward in place of Jerome…that’s what your fingers meant…

It will be after Ben but what are the odds for Pouncey?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

It will be after Ben but what are the odds for Pouncey?
    My gut tells me no for Pouncey. I have nothing to base that on. It might be the lack of success in the postseason during the course of his career. I may be wrong, but the one SB, ( vs Packers) I think he was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    My gut tells me no for Pouncey. I have nothing to base that on. It might be the lack of success in the postseason during the course of his career. I may be wrong, but the one SB, ( vs Packers) I think he was hurt.
    He was hurt and it was a HUGE loss at the time!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

He was hurt and it was a HUGE loss at the time!
    I actually checked, he was either on IR or hurt for four different playoff games.

Who is the next Steeler...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I actually checked, he was either on IR or hurt for four different playoff games.
    If I remember correctly it was right at the end of the season…week 14 or 15 when he got injured and there was an outside chance he would play in the Super Bowl but was ruled out?