Thread: What team was the worst to make a Super Bowl? What team was the worst to win a Super Bowl?

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

What team was the worst to make a Super Bowl? What team was the worst to win a Super Bowl?

What team was the worst/weakest to make a Super Bowl? San Diego with Stan Humphries?
    What team was the worst/weakest to win a Super Bowl?

Your thoughts?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: What team was the worst to make a Super Bowl? What team was the worst to win a Super Bowl?

Worst to make the SB was the 85 Patriots** who got clobbered by the Bears. Should have been Dolphins-Bears.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: What team was the worst to make a Super Bowl? What team was the worst to win a Super Bowl?

'98 Falcons were pretty bad. They shouldn't have even made the NFCCG, which they also should have lost.

That Joe Namath Jets team was also a bad football team from things I have heard and read. But a bit before my football memory. The worst team I can actually remember winning a SB was probably the Giants when they stopped the Patriots from going undefeated.

^^^
    That '85 Pats team had no business in that game either.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

1989 Broncos...The worst to win....Likely the 2011 giants

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    1989 Broncos...The worst to win....Likely the 2011 giants
    No way. That giants team was tough, they were like the 2000 Ravens. Yeah their offense wasn't anything special but any defense that could hold Montana to 6 points at candlestick is no joke. I mean they had Lawrence freaking Taylor lol.

Anyway for me it's the 94 Chargers that were the worst to make it. They merely got lucky that a Steelers team that played them was overconfident and fell asleep at the wheel. They were totally outclassed by SF and didn't belong there. Worst to win... That's a tough one. I'll say the 2008 Giants. They were a team that barely made it to the playoffs but just got hot at the right time. Nobody took them seriously, even when they made it to the SB. Their win was aided by possibly one of the luckiest catches ever made since the immaculate reception.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    No way. That giants team was tough, they were like the 2000 Ravens. Yeah their offense wasn't anything special but any defense that could hold Montana to 6 points at candlestick is no joke. I mean they had Lawrence freaking Taylor lol.

Anyway for me it's the 94 Chargers that were the worst to make it. They merely got lucky that a Steelers team that played them was overconfident and fell asleep at the wheel. They were totally outclassed by SF and didn't belong there. Worst to win... That's a tough one. I'll say the 2008 Giants. They were a team that barely made it to the playoffs but just got hot at the right time. Nobody took them seriously, even when they made it to the SB. Their win was aided by possibly one of the luckiest catches ever made since the immaculate reception.
    I said the 1989 Broncos,the team who give up 55 points in the super bowl and they were in the worst conference in NFL history.The 1994 chargers is also a good choice

I also said the 2011 Giants,the worst to win the SB....Eli Manning was much better in 2011 that he was in 2007 but for the rest of the team,2007 were much better,especially on defense...Their pass rush were one of the best ever and their defense were better and better at the end of their season.And it was the same team that started the season 11-1 the year after before the Buress incident.....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What team was the worst to make a Super Bowl? What team was the worst to win a Super Bowl?

2005 Steelers.

2012 Ravens.

1970 Colts.

1980 Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebetter View Post
    What team was the worst/weakest to make a Super Bowl? San Diego with Stan Humphries?
    What team was the worst/weakest to win a Super Bowl?

Your thoughts?

Beaver Falls Pa Native Joe Namath led NY Jets

Namath is also the worst QB ever to make it into the HoF
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    2005 Steelers.

2012 Ravens.

1970 Colts.

1980 Raiders.

2005 steelers were better that their 2008 team....I mean they were 15-1 the year before and the injury of Ben for 4 games were a big reason why they finish as the 6th seed(at 11-5 btw) in a very loaded AFC

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I said the 1989 Broncos,the team who give up 55 points in the super bowl and they were in the worst conference in NFL history.The 1994 chargers is also a good choice

I also said the 2011 Giants,the worst to win the SB....Eli Manning was much better in 2011 that he was in 2007 but for the rest of the team,2007 were much better,especially on defense...Their pass rush were one of the best ever and their defense were better and better at the end of their season.And it was the same team that started the season 11-1 the year after before the Buress incident.....
    89 Broncos would have beaten the 85 Patriots easily.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

2005 steelers were better that their 2008 team....I mean they were 15-1 the year before and the injury of Ben for 4 games were a big reason why they finish as the 6th seed(at 11-5 btw) in a very loaded AFC
    I would never put the 2005 Steelers in that category. All world defense, Ward, Bettis, and Ben? As you said, some of that record was Ben being out for four games. Starting with the game against the Bears, (Bettis rolling through Urlacher) the Steelers were the toughest team in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I would never put the 2005 Steelers in that category. All world defense, Ward, Bettis, and Ben? As you said, some of that record was Ben being out for four games. Starting with the game against the Bears, (Bettis rolling through Urlacher) the Steelers were the toughest team in the NFL.

I'm with you. If not for injuries, that 2005 team would have been a much higher seed. Once they got healthy at the end of the season, I thought they were as good as anybody, and may have been the most talented, complete team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    05 Steelers would have been 13-3 if not for Ben getting hurt and Maddox turning into SB 30 Neil O'Donnell throwing pick 6s to lose the games he started.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

The 2006 Bears deserve a mention too

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is difficult. To make it? Hmmm.....

I want to say like the 06 Bears just because of Rex Grossman. But I am likely underselling that defense.

The 1994 Chargers are not a bad choice. But I think I am likely forgetting how bad some of those Broncos teams were that got blitzed. What about the 1986 Patriots? Before my time...but that seems like a bad result...

Worst team to win....I figure it comes down to the 2013 Ravens, one of the Eli Manning teams, or someone from the 1980's that I don't remember well.