Thread: What to do with Highsmith?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What to do with Highsmith?

Highsmith is coming into his final year. He only has one year of pro bowl type production (14.5 sacks). So if you're the GM, what do you do with his contract?

• Sign him now to an extension for the going rate of $18-20M a season
    • Let 2023 play out to see if he can repeat his 2022 production, then sign him (likely to cost more than option 1)
    • Franchise tag him (about $20M+)
    • Let him test the market and potentially walk (recoup a comp pick)

What's your move?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: What to do with Highsmith?

I think I would try to get him signed. I actually believe he can get better.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

As of today….

I re-sign him to a 2-3 year contract. What has he done besides improve? I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a hard worker and future core of this defense.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

They will always try to re-sign with one year remaining. I'd re-sign him.

They still need a quality backup to rotate with TJ and Alex.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would try and get him on a team friendly deal by giving him more money than he has ever seen in his lifetime but quite a bit less that what he would make if he waits for the money ,reminding him that you are 1 play away from never seeing that next contract and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ....

3 years 35 million extension up to 40 million with bonus's based on sacks , pressures , forced turnovers , etc
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I would try and get him on a team friendly deal by giving him more money than he has ever seen in his lifetime but quite a bit less that what he would make if he waits for the money ,reminding him that you are 1 play away from never seeing that next contract and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ....

3 years 35 million extension up to 40 million with bonus's based on sacks , pressures , forced turnovers , etc
    3/35 would be quite team friendly based on comps. His agent would need fired if that offer was accepted. I think 3/50 is still team friendly based on the numbers if he goes to FA.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    3/35 would be quite team friendly based on comps. His agent would need fired if that offer was accepted. I think 3/50 is still team friendly based on the numbers if he goes to FA.
    cant base it on free agency numbers tho because he isnt a free agent he would be playing on a rookie deal another year without anything guaranteed moving forward ..1 snap can end a career and any future earnings and that is where the team has an arm up in negotiations by offering extensions early ....

he is going to get his best payday to date this coming season at 2.9 million .... 35 million (plus incentives) is life changing money , sure it is a bargain but at the same time is a future for the player that is young enough to cash in on another deal in 3 years in his prime

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I would try and do a longer deal than 3 years. Go like 5 for 65 or something and spread the mess out. Make it a potential restructure later and lock-up Highsmith as Watt's bookend for both their primes. Assuming Highsmith keeps playing well, he only gets more expensive.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Sign him to a long-term deal. Him and Watt could be the best tandem we've had since Lloyd / Greene
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As always, the remaining year on his rookie deal plus one year of franchise tag will be much cheaper and less risky than a long-term deal likely at or more than the franchise number. In two years, we'll also likely have a better idea whether he's worth it, and whether we need an heir apparent to Watt (or a Highsmith replacement). As long as that tag doesn't cost us the ability to keep another key player like it did with a certain guy whose name rhymes with Dud Dupree.

I do not like the idea of having both OLBs take up one of the roughly 6 or 7 max contract slots you can fit. Also, I am not entirely free of the worry that if Highsmith gets a big contract and then Watt eventually leaves or his production falls off, we'll get Woodleyed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Sign him, he's only gotten better.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would try and do a longer deal than 3 years. Go like 5 for 65 or something and spread the mess out. Make it a potential restructure later and lock-up Highsmith as Watt's bookend for both their primes. Assuming Highsmith keeps playing well, he only gets more expensive.

This…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

A 5 or 6 year deal sounds good to me. As to the timing, the cap hit for Minkah is basically the same in '23 and '24. TJ Watt's is about a million higher in '24 compared to '23. Those are the two biggest contracts I think. I was thinking if one of those two years was significantly less than maybe do it that year. But '23 and '24 are basically even for just those two players, now add in the rest of the team.

In other words, I don't have an effin clue, so good luck Omar just make it happen!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

16 dong sacks a year is still 16 sacks
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You either pay him or someone else does.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Possible market value for Highsmith. $17m per would be good value. Add in incentives(sacks #, pro bowl/All-pro).

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/ex...lex-highsmith/
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Possible market value for Highsmith. $17m per would be good value. Add in incentives(sacks #, pro bowl/All-pro).

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/ex...lex-highsmith/
    Are there very many incentive laden contracts these days? I think unless it's a prove-it deal, agents stay away from those.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Highsmith got 2.5 sacks through the games when TJ was out. He recorded 2.5 sacks in the next 2 games once TJ came back. Highsmith had 3 sacks in week1 vs the Bengals(TJ got hurt), and 2 sacks vs the Saints(TJ came back).

I show this to say I like Highsmith and would definitely try to extend him, but this is TJ's defense. I'm not sure how much it matters who you put opposite TJ. It matters, yes, just not sure how much.

The Steelers could draft a guy like Nolan Smith who plays OLB for Georgia, but he's a projected hybrid for the NFL. He can play as an OLB/ILB depth piece year 1. If Highsmith decides to test FA, we would already have our replacement on the roster.

Not saying the Steelers shouldn't extend Highsmith. I'm saying there are options.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The Steelers could draft a guy like Nolan Smith who plays OLB for Georgia, but he's a projected hybrid for the NFL. He can play as an OLB/ILB depth piece year 1. If Highsmith decides to test FA, we would already have our replacement on the roster.

Not saying the Steelers shouldn't extend Highsmith. I'm saying there are options.
    Sure. But why create a draft need? Take a third round pick you know can rush the pass and defend the run well in your system and spend a first round pick on a lottery ticket?

If they had other priorities with the cash but do they?

Sure. But why create a draft need? Take a third round pick you know can rush the pass and defend the run well in your system and spend a first round pick on a lottery ticket?

If they had other priorities with the cash but do they?
    I have no idea what the plan is. Seems everyone wants Highsmith extended, including me. I was just pitching options.

Say they re-sign Edmunds, re-sign Sutton, and bring in Tremaine Edmunds from FA....do they extend Highsmith, or draft a rookie OLB to take over if/when....

I don't see that as creating a draft need so much as covering yourself for an eventuality. Highsmith will get re-signed, traded, or leave via FA, if there is no extension. Right now the Steelers have no backup plan or leverage.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Highsmith got 2.5 sacks through the games when TJ was out. He recorded 2.5 sacks in the next 2 games once TJ came back. Highsmith had 3 sacks in week1 vs the Bengals(TJ got hurt), and 2 sacks vs the Saints(TJ came back).

I show this to say I like Highsmith and would definitely try to extend him, but this is TJ's defense. I'm not sure how much it matters who you put opposite TJ. It matters, yes, just not sure how much.

Highsmith is an ascending player. He has shown terrific growth and improvement every year since entering the league. He plays hard. He doesn't take plays off. He has gotten stronger and uses great technique to continue to generate pressure and sacks. He holds up well against the run.

He is exactly the type of player you want opposite the guy that demands all the double and sometimes triple teams. He has shown himself to be a complete player. I have never heard or seen anything that would make me believe that he isn't also a high character guy and great teammate. From everything I can see in my limited view of things, he is everything you want a young player to be. He deserves a contract, and IMO they should tie him up to a long-term deal. I think as his career is evolving in this system that he would want to stay here where he knows he has been productive and will continue to be a good fit for him.

I understand your point about drafting another player, but when a player is this young and this good....and you have some cap space....I think it is a no-brainer to sign him. Keep the bookends of the defense and address the interior DL.

I believe the team is ready to win right now by keeping their best players under contract, having a good draft, and making a few quality FA signings.

Maybe the team sees things differently.

I have no idea what the plan is. Seems everyone wants Highsmith extended, including me. I was just pitching options.

Say they re-sign Edmunds, re-sign Sutton, and bring in Tremaine Edmunds from FA....do they extend Highsmith, or draft a rookie OLB to take over if/when....

I don't see that as creating a draft need so much as covering yourself for an eventuality. Highsmith will get re-signed, traded, or leave via FA, if there is no extension. Right now the Steelers have no backup plan or leverage.
    Sure. But I think drafting a first round OLB isn’t where this roster needs to spend it’s priority resources.

Even if they resign Sutton and bring in Edmunds, CB and ILB just aren’t good enough as a group right now. OL is one injury away from being a disaster and it’s not like it isn’t without problems when everyone is healthy.

I get what you’re saying that it isn’t like Highsmith is a must sign what are we gonna do if he leaves player. But why fix what ain’t broke?

Love me some Nolan Smith . he is a top 60ish player in this class , that said I believe he is an ILB in a 3-4 def , more of a Timmons , Farrior type than a TJ type , sure some outside potential in a pinch but much better suited to play sideline to sideline and add some thump than to get after the passer at the next level ... but maybe thats just me

According to 'Spotrac', Alex Highsmith's current market value is right at $14M/year. Some of you who know how the contracts work can fix my broken logic here. Keeping the math easy, make the deal 3years/$45M($15M/year) Signing bonus and roster bonus equals $15M so the cap hit is $10M/year. Puts it at a third of TJ's hit rather than half. Roughly. Is that both a market value payday for Alex, plus a team friendly deal?

Love me some Nolan Smith . he is a top 60ish player in this class , that said I believe he is an ILB in a 3-4 def , more of a Timmons , Farrior type than a TJ type , sure some outside potential in a pinch but much better suited to play sideline to sideline and add some thump than to get after the passer at the next level ... but maybe thats just me
    Love the idea of moving Smith inside in the NFL. In fact....he might look really nice as the opening pick in the second round....

- - - Updated - - -

According to 'Spotrac', Alex Highsmith's current market value is right at $14M/year. Some of you who know how the contracts work can fix my broken logic here. Keeping the math easy, make the deal 3years/$45M($15M/year) Signing bonus and roster bonus equals $15M so the cap hit is $10M/year. Puts it at a third of TJ's hit rather than half. Roughly. Is that both a market value payday for Alex, plus a team friendly deal?
    I could be fine with that. Khan and Co (ko?) likely jigger the numbers around so that the cash hits in the cap years they prefer...but the outlines of the deal seem more than fine.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

This.

I like him a lot. Run d is good too.

but let’s not forget than when Watt was hurt his sack production fell sharply. He’s not an A. He is a B. A good one. But a B.

- - - Updated - - -

cant base it on free agency numbers tho because he isnt a free agent he would be playing on a rookie deal another year without anything guaranteed moving forward ..1 snap can end a career and any future earnings and that is where the team has an arm up in negotiations by offering extensions early ....

he is going to get his best payday to date this coming season at 2.9 million .... 35 million (plus incentives) is life changing money , sure it is a bargain but at the same time is a future for the player that is young enough to cash in on another deal in 3 years in his prime
    This.

I like him a lot. Run d is good too.

but let’s not forget than when Watt was hurt his sack production fell sharply. He’s not an A. He is a B. A good one. But a B.

looks like you nailed the deal pretty much ... good insight!