Thread: The top offensive tackle draft prospects in the 2023 draft

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The top offensive tackle draft prospects in the 2023 draft

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-...ackle-rankings

We need to select one of theses top guys in either round one or two. Forget about Skoronski. He will be off the board early. Same goes for Johnson. I like Broderick Jones and think we can realistically pick him in round one. He's a pure mauler type that will significantly upgrade our run blocking that should test well. I have seen him play a few times vs SEC and top ten competition. He is impressive in pass blokcing as well.

Broderick Jones in pass protection this season:

122 pass block snaps
    Zero sacks allowed
    1 pressure allowed
    Best competition faced in college football last year as a left tackle

Any questions?

We move Chucks to Left tackle and start Jones as Right tackle. Can't wait to see the Senior week and game. I will be watching several OL players!
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-29-2023 at 09:31 AM.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: The top offensive tackle draft prospects in the 2023 draft

I watched him in the college playoffs this year, he's looked good.

Our first round would be robbery if we could get him and Joey Porter jr.

Joey Porter jr only has one interception and that one did not happen last year. How many yards did he surrender last year? I don't know! What are his workout #'s? I don't trust our scouts a CB! Wr is a different story. I have to watch Porter on isolation camera and get more information, but right now it's a hard no for round one for us and Porter jr.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...joey-porter-jr

Jones however is a target player for us, and one who had early returns on our sup par Offensive line.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don’t think this year’s OT class is as polished and potent as in previous years. There are more ‘project’ OTs which makes me 2nd guess on some of the higher ranked ones. Just my own opinion but I think the best of the class is Paris Johnson Jr from OSU, and I don’t think there is a close 2nd.

Broderick Jones will most likely go in the 1st round, and will most likely start at LT for that team next season. Saying he is not close as 2nd is not saying he’s not good. I think these NFL DEs and LBs will give him trouble until he learns to hit first. He’s athletic enough so he lets the defender choose his move and then he very smoothly counters. I think this approach will not work in the NFL. I also think he will figure that out and adjust. I also don’t see him as a people mover. Then again, neither is Dan Moore.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I don't see them replacing Moore/Chuk. They need to look into adding a legit swing tackle. They got lucky with those two staying on the field all year, Trent Scott or Jesse Davis playing for any significant time would have be a disaster.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't want an offensive lineman in the first round, we need a defensive lineman. ILB and possibly DB will also be places where we need help ASAP.

Offensive line is high on the list of nice-to-haves, but unless we fill some of the other holes through free agency, I would not be happy about going OL first.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I don't see them replacing Moore/Chuk. They need to look into adding a legit swing tackle. They got lucky with those two staying on the field all year, Trent Scott or Jesse Davis playing for any significant time would have be a disaster.
    Offense played better against weaker competition second half of the year…no need to replace Matt Canada.

Offensive Line played better against weaker competition in the second half of the season…no need to address that.

As of now and pending free agency, the pick will most likely be a LB as that seems to be what they think is the biggest area of need by the shuffling of personnel they went through during the season…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don’t think this year’s OT class is as polished and potent as in previous years. There are more ‘project’ OTs which makes me 2nd guess on some of the higher ranked ones. Just my own opinion but I think the best of the class is Paris Johnson Jr from OSU, and I don’t think there is a close 2nd.

Broderick Jones will most likely go in the 1st round, and will most likely start at LT for that team next season. Saying he is not close as 2nd is not saying he’s not good. I think these NFL DEs and LBs will give him trouble until he learns to hit first. He’s athletic enough so he lets the defender choose his move and then he very smoothly counters. I think this approach will not work in the NFL. I also think he will figure that out and adjust. I also don’t see him as a people mover. Then again, neither is Dan Moore.
    Jones is likely the 3rd best tackle prospect. Saying he not a good run blocker is un-informed, he is better than Dan Moore as a run blocker and can't be worse as a pass blocker. I like him a lot at RT, for a rookie.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Broderick-Jones-OL-Georgia

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Overall, blocking is the biggest on-field issue they can address this off-season. Even though I am no fan of Canada's "system" - I have to acknowledge that there were several plays that would appear to have "worked" except for the fact that one or more players missed their block. Some range from a blown assignment (Kevin Dotson we see you), to a kinda stupid idea (PF being the road clearer for a goal line run), to really asinine (Gunner the Midget being asked to be the lead blocker for an off tackle running play)

In the passing game, the bottom line was that Moore and Dotson were less than good on many occasions. And the amount of help they sometimes feel they need to give that side of the line seems to influence or at least constrain play calling.

Before anyone gets too upset...I am not saying that with a better LT and LG that Canada would be leading the offense in to a bold video game style explosion of points and yards. Not at all. Just saying that Tomlin and Co are going to look at a great # of plays and say "If we block that up it goes for positive yards. Ok. We can make that happen."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Jones is likely the 3rd best tackle prospect. Saying he not a good run blocker is un-informed, he is better than Dan Moore as a run blocker and can't be worse as a pass blocker. I like him a lot at RT, for a rookie.

Steelers show no signs of considering moving Chuks of RT. Certainly not based on what they paid him. They also had the option of moving him to LT on an emergency basis instead of throwing Moore into the fire as a rookie. They did not. Another sign that they do not have Chuks at LT plans.

Would they consider bringing in a rookie to compete with him at RT? Sure. But drafting a potentially back-up RT with one of their first three picks seems a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Overall, blocking is the biggest on-field issue they can address this off-season. Even though I am no fan of Canada's "system" - I have to acknowledge that there were several plays that would appear to have "worked" except for the fact that one or more players missed their block. Some range from a blown assignment (Kevin Dotson we see you), to a kinda stupid idea (PF being the road clearer for a goal line run), to really asinine (Gunner the Midget being asked to be the lead blocker for an off tackle running play)

In the passing game, the bottom line was that Moore and Dotson were less than good on many occasions. And the amount of help they sometimes feel they need to give that side of the line seems to influence or at least constrain play calling.

Before anyone gets too upset...I am not saying that with a better LT and LG that Canada would be leading the offense in to a bold video game style explosion of points and yards. Not at all. Just saying that Tomlin and Co are going to look at a great # of plays and say "If we block that up it goes for positive yards. Ok. We can make that happen."

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers show no signs of considering moving Chuks of RT. Certainly not based on what they paid him. They also had the option of moving him to LT on an emergency basis instead of throwing Moore into the fire as a rookie. They did not. Another sign that they do not have Chuks at LT plans.

Would they consider bringing in a rookie to compete with him at RT? Sure. But drafting a potentially back-up RT with one of their first three picks seems a bit off.

Who says he will be a back up if we select him in the first round? We need to get Moore jr out. Either this guy flat out starts at LT, or he plays at RT and Chucks moves to left.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who says he will be a back up if we select him in the first round? We need to get Moore jr out. Either this guy flat out starts at LT, or he plays at RT and Chucks moves to left.
    You said that Jones is going to be a RT as an NFL rookie.

The Steelers have had multiple opportunities to move Chuks to LT. They have passed each time. Instead, they paid him significant $$$ to play RT.

If Jones is an NFL RT, then he doesn't have a spot on the current Steelers roster. This team is not talented enough to draft a 1st round pick that doesn't play Year 1.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Umm, you show me where I said not a good run blocker, please.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers will not address the O-Line with their first two picks. Steelers/Tomlin logic: The line showed improvement. There’s no need for an upgrade there. Maybe with the second pick in round 2 but most likely round 3.

ILB, WR, CB will be a combination of the first three picks…by Steelers logic.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

I do not agree with six rings often but Jones would be an instant starter on our line and there is not a doubt in my mind he would beat out EITHER of our 2022 starting tackles in a level competition ... he is my favorite tackle in this draft for the record but there are a few I like ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I do not agree with six rings often but Jones would be an instant starter on our line and there is not a doubt in my mind he would beat out EITHER of our 2022 starting tackles in a level competition ... he is my favorite tackle in this draft for the record but there are a few I like ...
    I think Jones would upgrade either OT position as well. I just don’t know if he’s an immediate upgrade year1. Not saying he’s not, just I don’t share that confidence he comes in and is immediately better than Chuks or Moore. That OL played together for a full season and improved noticeably as a unit. Upgrade is needed, depth is needed. Does a 1st round OT do that this draft?

I have no doubt that he could be a better player. I haven't watched a single snap of his play - so I can not speak to that. I was just thinking through the draft Jones for RT and move Chuks to LT idea that was tossed out. And the Steelers have given strong indications that they are not into doing that. They have declined to move Chuks to LT on multiple occasions. And they are paying him far too much $$$ to sit on the bench. So drafting a guy to play RT in his rookie year seems like a poor use of a first round pick.

Now Year 1 LT starter? Sure. Why not?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I have no doubt that he could be a better player. I haven't watched a single snap of his play - so I can not speak to that. I was just thinking through the draft Jones for RT and move Chuks to LT idea that was tossed out. And the Steelers have given strong indications that they are not into doing that. They have declined to move Chuks to LT on multiple occasions. And they are paying him far too much $$$ to sit on the bench. So drafting a guy to play RT in his rookie year seems like a poor use of a first round pick.

Now Year 1 LT starter? Sure. Why not?
    That is where I would pencil him in at LT ...I would then try and kick Dan Moore inside to LG and do away with penalty magnate Dotson who has regressed each year since his rookie year IMO ..

Moore is guard capable in most peoples minds so I would seriously investigate that possibility

That is where I would pencil him in at LT ...I would then try and kick Dan Moore inside to LG and do away with penalty magnate Dotson who has regressed each year since his rookie year IMO ..

Moore is guard capable in most peoples minds so I would seriously investigate that possibility
    That seems like a great set of ideas to me.

Dotson as the first IOL off the bench seems like a much better idea than a starter.

That seems like a great set of ideas to me.

Dotson as the first IOL off the bench seems like a much better idea than a starter.

absolutely

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

In my mind I see Daniels and Chuks pretty entrenched on the right side. I wasn't a fan of the contract Chuks got, but they must believe in him. I can see the left side being tweaked for sure though. If a blue chip LT is not there at 17, then I hope they target Andrew Voorhees at 2A/B. He can play both guard spots and in a pinch back up OT. He's 6'6" and 320 which is bigger than Moore coming out I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    In my mind I see Daniels and Chuks pretty entrenched on the right side. I wasn't a fan of the contract Chuks got, but they must believe in him. I can see the left side being tweaked for sure though. If a blue chip LT is not there at 17, then I hope they target Andrew Voorhees at 2A/B. He can play both guard spots and in a pinch back up OT. He's 6'6" and 320 which is bigger than Moore coming out I believe.
    I see the progress of the OL the same. The Steelers OL as a unit got noticeably better as the season went on. But the right side is definitely further along. Dotson has become a penalty problem(11) and Moore is probably never going to develop into the next AV. As for Dotson, his penalty count more than doubled from 2021(5-11), but so did his snap count(565-1160). Meaning there is correlation in that. Dotson had a very impressive rookie year(3 penalties in 13 games) and then was injured most of last year. I still like Dotson at LG but I am worried about the penalties.

Dan Moore committed another 9 penalties last season. 20 OL penalties came from the left side(6 the rest of the OL combined). This count is only penalties accepted that cost the Steelers, not total committed. Dan Moore has also allowed 7 sacks in each of his 1st 2 seasons. Drafting another LT makes great sense in this draft. We would have 2 guys competing with both being on their rookie contracts. LT is the only OL position I can see the Steelers looking at in the 1st as of today. I don't believe Moore will develop into the answer at LT, just not enough growth with over 2000 NFL snaps. Granted, with 2 different OL coaches with 2 distinctly different styles, so 'maybe' he takes a leap in year 3.

I guess all I'm really saying here is outside of the penalties, there is reason for hope with Moore and Dotson. Dotson moreso than Moore, IMO. I would love to draft another LT this draft. I'm just not sure the importance/value of round 1.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    If Voorhees is a total killer I'm gonna call him Jason
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I see the progress of the OL the same. The Steelers OL as a unit got noticeably better as the season went on. But the right side is definitely further along. Dotson has become a penalty problem(11) and Moore is probably never going to develop into the next AV. As for Dotson, his penalty count more than doubled from 2021(5-11), but so did his snap count(565-1160). Meaning there is correlation in that. Dotson had a very impressive rookie year(3 penalties in 13 games) and then was injured most of last year. I still like Dotson at LG but I am worried about the penalties.

Dan Moore committed another 9 penalties last season. 20 OL penalties came from the left side(6 the rest of the OL combined). This count is only penalties accepted that cost the Steelers, not total committed. Dan Moore has also allowed 7 sacks in each of his 1st 2 seasons. Drafting another LT makes great sense in this draft. We would have 2 guys competing with both being on their rookie contracts. LT is the only OL position I can see the Steelers looking at in the 1st as of today. I don't believe Moore will develop into the answer at LT, just not enough growth with over 2000 NFL snaps. Granted, with 2 different OL coaches with 2 distinctly different styles, so 'maybe' he takes a leap in year 3.

I guess all I'm really saying here is outside of the penalties, there is reason for hope with Moore and Dotson. Dotson moreso than Moore, IMO. I would love to draft another LT this draft. I'm just not sure the importance/value of round 1.
    Yes. Who we draft in round one or two starts as a rookie at tackle. Be staring at left tackles or right. If it is right tackle then we move Chuck to left tackle.

Dotson need to be based out. We ned a new starter at LG as well. Dan Moore jr sucks. If the Steelers keep him in the lineup they are embracing the suck.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yes. Who we draft in round one or two starts as a rookie at tackle. Be staring at left tackles or right. If it is right tackle then we move Chuck to left tackle.

Dotson need to be based out. We ned a new starter at LG as well. Dan Moore jr sucks. If the Steelers keep him in the lineup they are embracing the suck.

Dotson played very well at right guard. That is his natural position. He has struggled with injuries and since moving to left guard. It's not like the guy is costing much. Even if they draft a replacement or pick up a FA, he is still a capable player that can play either side of the line.

I think he's taking too much criticism, but that's the nature of football. I still didn't like the way Okorafor played the second half of the season. He's the guy making the big bucks. He's supposed to be better than he showed.

I still have hope for Moore at LT. He's still young and has another full offseason to work things out.

Either way, bringing in a very good offensive lineman through the draft or free agency will kick a very capable player to backup and make the entire unit stronger. Improved depth is extremely important with a young quarterback and a young team that wants to continue to get better and take another step or two forward.