Thread: Pickett's QB Coach

Pickett's QB Coach

Since there's been some interest in who Pickett's QB coach is, I thought I'd post a little about what I found. Pickett says his coach is Tony Racioppi. Here's some videos of him talking about various things. Thought some of you might want to get a feel for him.

Throwing the ball in wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0jPGgUmoY

"How to become a great QB" (he gives some background in this video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFv3jVBwehQ

On knowing when to run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgGGJr_IUY

General discussions (also on his time at the Manning Passing Academy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sA595hPIjI

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Pickett's QB Coach

Glad Pickett is willing to study and get better, not like Kyler Murray
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    And Ben.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And Ben.
    Not going to knock Ben, his talent was enough to win us a couple SB's. Murray though seems like the guy who's content with being good but doesn't have that drive to be great. He has the talent but doesn't seem to want it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Not going to knock Ben, his talent was enough to win us a couple SB's. Murray though seems like the guy who's content with being good but doesn't have that drive to be great. He has the talent but doesn't seem to want it.
    But if he'd watched film he would've won 4 super bowls!

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Pickett's football character is not the issue, it is for Murray. Pickett's character is fine. His QB IQ may and I stress the word may be the issue. He scored a 17 on the wonderlick test, which is borderline a for quarterback. Some teams according to what said and repotted on the web feel under a 17 is a red flag not directly mind you, but to the media scores that are quoted but nameless. 17 is barely passable. The QB's today, all of the 14 payoff teams in this season have a QB that scored higher 17 in all cases, are way above the mark. Is that and accident? No, it is not.

To quote the great talent evaluator Jimmy Johnson
    " Hit me on the head real hard if I take a dumb player "
    I took test years ago for scored upper green level or a 38. This fits nicely in the profession I have chosen. I'm a saying I'm a genius. Many professions are listed if your interested in seeing their average score. Many companies use the test.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Pickett's football character is not the issue, it is for Murray. Pickett's character is fine. His QB IQ may and I stress the word may be the issue. He scored a 17 on the wonderlick test, which is borderline a for quarterback. Some teams according to what said and repotted on the web feel under a 17 is a red flag not directly mind you, but to the media scores that are quoted but nameless. 17 is barely passable. The QB's today, all of the 14 payoff teams in this season have a QB that scored higher 17 in all cases, are way above the mark. Is that and accident? No, it is not.

I took test years ago for scored upper green level or a 38. This fits nicely in the profession I have chosen. I'm a saying I'm a genius. Many professions are listed if your interested in seeing their average score. Many companies use the test.
    We’ve got a few self proclaimed geniuses on here.

Pickett's football character is not the issue, it is for Murray. Pickett's character is fine. His QB IQ may and I stress the word may be the issue. He scored a 17 on the wonderlick test, which is borderline a for quarterback.
    They STOPPED doing the wonderlic (a test I've taken many times) after the 2021 draft, so how did Pickett score a 17 before the 2022 draft? Do you make this stuff up as you go??

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

They STOPPED doing the wonderlic (a test I've taken many times) after the 2021 draft, so how did Pickett score a 17 before the 2022 draft? Do you make this stuff up as you go??
    Maybe he's referring to Murray instead?

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Looks like Ben just read through the "Game Day Thread".

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Terry Bradshaw, and Donovan McNabb all scored a 15 or a 16 (reports vary) on the Wonderlic. Blaine Gabbert scored a 42. Brett Favre was in the low 20's. So was Ben R.

It is a useless tool - http://thesportjournal.org/article/i...-compensation/

One of the many studies that found no correlation between the Wonderlic and NFL success. It is one of the reasons that the NFL ditched it.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and Terry Bradshaw each had a 15 on the wonderlick, so...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Maybe he's referring to Murray instead?

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    I can't tell from the way it's worded.
    Last edited by DesertSteel; 01-25-2023 at 07:47 PM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

How useful is the wonderlic for football? It's not like you have to have genius intelligence to be a QB, or Josh Dobbs would've been the next Peyton Manning. To me it seems that being smart isn't super necessary to be a QB. You do have to be able to stay calm under pressure and make quick decisions which doesn't always mean you have to be smart.

Also football plays and reading defenses isn't rocket science, but it does require memorization. That doesn't require great intelligence, but it does require the time taken to study, which is more work ethic than natural smarts.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

There are no points for arm strength or throwing accuracy on the test either. The teams want to make sure you aren't a complete moron or serial killer, but others were using scores for personal attacks and rightfully eliminated the test.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Terry Bradshaw, and Donovan McNabb all scored a 15 or a 16 (reports vary) on the Wonderlic. Blaine Gabbert scored a 42. Brett Favre was in the low 20's. So was Ben R.

It is a useless tool - http://thesportjournal.org/article/i...-compensation/

One of the many studies that found no correlation between the Wonderlic and NFL success. It is one of the reasons that the NFL ditched it.

Big Ben may not know many of the answers in Final Jeopardy but you wouldn't want the ball in his hands in a 2-minute situation in the NFL. Pretty much nobody did it better than he did.

The Wonderlic is nonsense when it comes to identifying who can excel at playing quarterback.

Playing quarterback has more to do with the things you can't measure than the things you can. That is why it is so difficult to identify players that will become successful quarterbacks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Big Ben may not know many of the answers in Final Jeopardy but you wouldn't want the ball in his hands in a 2-minute situation in the NFL. Pretty much nobody did it better than he did.

The Wonderlic is nonsense when it comes to identifying who can excel at playing quarterback.

Playing quarterback has more to do with the things you can't measure than the things you can. That is why it is so difficult to identify players that will become successful quarterbacks.
    Yup. It was never a good test of anything useful for actually being good at football.
    I was reading earlier about how many teams are going with tests that were developed for firefighters and other first responders were they can measure how quickly a person can process information, make decisions, and identify patterns under stress. That sounds WAY more useful than an abbreviated IQ test.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Pickett’s QB coach works with him on wonderlic testing and improving his score. By year 3 KP is expected to score in the 40s.

I heard the reason Ken Anderson wasn't in the hall of fame was he scored low in the wonderlic.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I heard the reason Ken Anderson wasn't in the hall of fame was he scored low in the wonderlic.
    That, and he kept sticking his hands down his pants. Nobody wants to shake that hand.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Seems like a good QB coach that teaches good mechanics and works with highschool and college QB to elevate their game so they can get to the next level. A former Iowa QB that interned with JAX.

Seems to be a proponent of rotational passing which is what the current belief is in QB mechanics. Josh Allen commented in his interview with Chris Simms that he transitioned to being a rotational thrower as a pro as opposed to a more linear thrower, which came from his baseball background. Good thing for Pickett to have a coach to work with in the offseason to keep his skills sharp and improve upon things that he wants to improve upon.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    that does not look like a guy enjoying retirement

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    that does not look like a guy enjoying retirement
    But he’s at a Pens game. What is going on with them? A lot of the Steelers loved going to the hockey games. What would be the expression on Ben’s face at a Pirate’s game?