Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior bowl week 2023 thread

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Senior bowl week 2023 thread

There will be loads of NFL talent of display. An even playing field where small schools and SEC competition all compete for a few practices and a game. I will be watching. Post the players to watch here.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Senior bowl week 2023 thread

I wonder why there's no QBs or WRs listed on the rosters given on that site?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If it were high school senior bowl then Canada could run some plays.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers will be sending Grady Brown to coach the defense of the National team.

It's not like one teams entire staff coaches the North and the other the South anymore!
    This year marks the first time in the Senior Bowl’s rich history that two full staffs from NFL clubs will not be coaching the game. Under a new arrangement to promote professional development, NFL Football Operations has implemented a “coach up” format where coordinators and assistant coaches are placed into elevated or different roles from the ones they currently hold with their respective clubs. Head coaches and general managers from all non-playoff teams had the opportunity to nominate assistant coaches and those candidates were then selected by a group comprised of league office executives, representatives from the General Managers Advisory Committee, and Senior Bowl leadership. In total, at least one coach from all 16 teams that submitted nominations were chosen and six clubs had multiple coaches appointed to this year’s American and National rosters (New Orleans Saints 4, Washington Commanders 4, Chicago Bears 4, Las Vegas Raiders 3, Cleveland Browns 2, and Pittsburgh Steelers 2).
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    There will be loads of NFL talent of display. An even playing field where small schools and SEC competition all compete for a few practices and a game. I will be watching. Post the players to watch here.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/
    I'm interested in quite a few so I'll just go with my top 2 on each side of the ball.

American - Offense. Both OL in Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse) and Darnell Wright (Tenn). Need to fortify that OL for sure
    American - Defense. Jammie Robinson (FSU) and Henry To'oTo'o (Alabama). I've seen To'oTo'o more but interested in the physicality and leadership Robinson brings in that SS role.

National - Offense. Both OL again. Andrew Voorhees (USC) and Jaelyn Duncan (Maryland). Really like Voorhees' IOL versatility and Duncan's potential at OT.
    National - Defense. DL Keion White (GA Tech) and Nickel/SS Jartavius Martin (Illinois). Definitely want to see the measurables on Keion White and how he handles his National OL teammates in practice. That OL for the National team has a lot of intriguing players. No question on Martin's tackling/run support so I want to see how he handles the 1 on 1s.

Really liking the National team, a lot of players I like on offense and defense.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That is the beauty spot this year. LOTS of OL talent at the SeniorBowl.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It sure looks like round 2 will be used on lineman on both sides of the ball.

Round one feels like linebacker or corner. Of course this is pre free agency speculation.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    we talkin bout practice man
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He would look good in Black and Gold. Maybe that 2nd round pick of the Bears.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

John Michael Schmitz has been good as well...
    Wrestling background, bigger guy at 6'4" 300 and has longer arms.

Center may be 3rd on the OL need depth chart, but this guy has been good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Agree. There are options at center in this draft. Steve Avilia from TCU is a guard, but also took some snaps at C to show that he could do it. He is really athletic for a G/C.

This kid has looked good as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    He would look good in Black and Gold. Maybe that 2nd round pick of the Bears.

If that version of Benton shows up down in and down out. But at Wisco, that guy just wandered away for periods of time. I don't know how to explain it. I am not saying that Benton doesn't try hard or that he doesn't play hard or that he takes snaps off. Because if he did, he wouldn't get on the field. It is just that at times, he doesn't impact things on the field. I think he is great in short areas and where he can use bursts of power but if he has to move/pursue too much he just can't get there? I don't know. His past year was his best for the Badgers and I watched so little of their games because they were unwatchable bad for like half a season. It is interesting that Benton played better once Leonard took over -- the whole team did -- so maybe part of his lack of production was tuning out a flawed head coach?

For me, I am always on the side of former Badgers and this is the last class that will have been schooled under Leonard making a smooth transition to the Steelers system. So that is great. But Benton feels like an more interior Loudermilk...like "Whoa! This guy can play a bit and might be something!" and then he may struggle to take a step past that -- just as Loudermilk seems to have struggled to cement a spot in the rotation.

All that being said...Benton is one of the very few NT in the draft and you won't have to teach him leverage and how to move people inside. So...let's get this done...but I hope in the 3rd round?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

He has looked very impressive. Just get him in the building and figure it out from there lol.

Michigan C Oluwatimi sp? has a nice anchor.

I wish the senior bowl website had a numbered roster. Hard to tell at times who's who other than the helmet.

best play yet LOL, darn punt coverage!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

QB play was less than impressive.

OL won easily. RBs looked very good both running and receiving.

DBs didn’t get many opportunities. A lot of shallow and crossing routes. The deep routes weren’t very good passes.

Kinda a disappointing game. OL looked dominant for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    QB play was less than impressive.

OL won easily. RBs looked very good both running and receiving.

DBs didn’t get many opportunities. A lot of shallow and crossing routes. The deep routes weren’t very good passes.

Kinda a disappointing game. OL looked dominant for both teams.
    The broadcasters focus should have been in the trenches.....they dropped the ball there and just insisted on making these 4th rnd qbs the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    The broadcasters focus should have been in the trenches.....they dropped the ball there and just insisted on making these 4th rnd qbs the storyline.
    4th round might be generous.

OL was ridiculous. The guys that came in as already 1st round probables only played a series or two. Many of the rest bumped up their draft stock plenty.

RBs made money too. Especially the guy from Tulane, Spears.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    4th round might be generous.

OL was ridiculous. The guys that came in as already 1st round probables only played a series or two. Many of the rest bumped up their draft stock plenty.

RBs made money too. Especially the guy from Tulane, Spears.
    I couldn't even guess how the CBs and Ss looked vs the WRs, as you said it just wasn't that game. I was so focused on both teams OL that I got tunnel vision and didn't see how the rest of the field looked. And there wasn't many plays where the DL flashed imo.

In game surprises though...Mich C Oluwatimi and OL Cody Mauch. C John Schmitz was an absolute beast. And Syracuse's Bergeron was a pleasant surprise. What about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    I couldn't even guess how the CBs and Ss looked vs the WRs, as you said it just wasn't that game. I was so focused on both teams OL that I got tunnel vision and didn't see how the rest of the field looked. And there wasn't many plays where the DL flashed imo.

In game surprises though...Mich C Oluwatimi and OL Cody Mauch. C John Schmitz was an absolute beast. And Syracuse's Bergeron was a pleasant surprise. What about you?
    ‘Ruthless & Toothless’ Cody Mauch from NDSU improved his stock by a lot. I guess I don’t know how the scouts were ranking him already, but from the reports coming out from practice week and then him playing at each spot during the game, and playing very well, I have to think Mauch will be one of the big movers on draft boards now.

There was a CB from VaTech that had a good game with at least a couple PBUs.

Reed from MichState and Williams(?) from Stanford showed off some skill from the slot WR spot. Mingo from OleMiss showed he can get downfield fast. The QBs just had terrible accuracy in that game.

Almost forgot. The TE from Purdue had a pretty good game too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Does anyone think these off season showcase games really swing NFL team draft boards or just NFL media draft boards?

I get that they very much did when teams only had shaky footage on grainy film stock on a prospect from Central Nowhere A&M. But now there's HD digital footage on just about all these guys.

I guess I feel like all these "risers" and "fallers" are moving on fan and media boards but are they already there on NFL boards? And if NOT...What do NFL scouting departments spend their time doing?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Does anyone think these off season showcase games really swing NFL team draft boards or just NFL media draft boards?

I get that they very much did when teams only had shaky footage on grainy film stock on a prospect from Central Nowhere A&M. But now there's HD digital footage on just about all these guys.

I guess I feel like all these "risers" and "fallers" are moving on fan and media boards but are they already there on NFL boards? And if NOT...What do NFL scouting departments spend their time doing?
    Media Hype cares…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I'm sure most of the intel is gleaned from the practices. How do these guys learn new systems, interact with new teammates/coaches, how they fare against varying competition, etc. The game probably not as much. Tomlin, by all accounts, really hovered over the lineman practices. He's not going out there for nothing. Common sense would just say its another piece to add to their overall opinion. Interviews are happening too.

The riser/faller stuff is probably more media. An all star game isn't going to push 1 guy significantly higher on their boards imo. If one player really shines, it may cause them to go back and take a look at someone closer if they were off their radar.

Yes and no. There was a booth conversation during the game where Charles Davis talked about players showing things that have NFL teams going back through "film" to take another look. Probably not as much with players from the higher profile schools. I think O'Cyrus Torrence played 1 maybe 2 series and was done. Not really much left to see on him. There was a WR from Stanford that had a 12% pass dropped number for the season, yet he was making some athletic catches during practices and the game. It was suggested teams would go back and look again at those drops to see if they were loss of focus, behind target passes, out of catch radius passes, poor routes, etc...

The American team had 4 RBs. Kentucky, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tulane. The Tulane RB most likely improved his standing on draft boards. The others not so much. Not just based on that week's performance, but teams probably have everything they need to see on players from those other schools.

Cody Mauch from NDSU is probably an OL that most teams had on their radar already. Watching him play in that game at every position on the OL and win at every position on the OL most likely increased his value to teams as well.

The #1 Center on every draft board I have looked at so far, John Michael Schmitz, had a great week and played a great game. He probably was/is already as high as he's going to climb up draft boards.

SO....Yes, there will be some movement on draft boards after these 'showcase games' for individual teams. Mostly the media just gets new names to add to who they want to talk about. I think most of the talking heads have released their mock 1.0 by now, pretty easy to check how much or how little this year's SeniorBowl swayed them.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Media Hype cares…
    Sure seems that way. I heard some former GM or other day that between the SB and the draft the media risers and fallers is just the internet actually coming in line with where teams already have them.

But no idea. I'd bet there's some guy that wrote a book on how this or that team did it. Be interesting to see the process laid out.

Just look at a list of all the schools in your own state that have division FCS or FBS level football programs. Do you think every single one of those schools has an individual scout assigned to them? When you look at the Pro-Day lists there are a lot of schools that simply say 'Area Scout'. You will see a lot of players from smaller schools perform at Pro-Days of larger schools because nobody is coming to their school to watch. It's not a perfect system even with all the digital info available right at your fingertips anytime you want it. Look how close we came to Joe Burrow not even happening, and he was at a premier school.

I mean if NFL teams didn't already know Cody Mauch was darn good at OL and should be drafted high, then they need to fire their scouts and hire better ones. I knew that and I am not good at any of this and watch about 3 snaps of college football a week.

The actual roster and practice squad is limited and salary capped. Coaching and scouting and support is not. If it takes a week of Senior Bowl practice for an NFL team to know that this guy or that SENIOR draft eligible guy can play some football -- then NFL teams are using outdated and inefficient methods. We can read online from "Trevor's TikTok Scouting Palace" about guys to watch and small-school guys to be on the look out for. NFL scouts have only this to do. If they can not see enough players, then hire more scouts. Hire TikTok Trevor. Or hire some of the people that post here.

I am just struck every single off-season by how outdated, inefficient, and ineffective the entire "Pre-Draft Process" is. Most of the draft prospects talk about how they specialize train to ace the pre-draft underwear Olympics stuff and then end up playing their rookie year at the wrong weight, physically worn down from the extra training they did, and mentally exhausted from the process. I mean, when you had to rely on calling up Bear Bryant and hoping he didn't lie to you about how fast a kid was, then maybe all this might've mattered. But I can't remember the last "out of nowhere" guy that just upended everything during the predraft process. If anyone does, they are written off as a "workout warrior" and everyone says the "film" doesn't support the workout. So....why are we doing the workouts again?

And of all the FCS and FBS schools in my state, there have been like a handful of guys ever picked up by NFL teams and the three I can think of off the top of my head didn't go to the Senior Bowl or the combine. Heck, the NFL found a guy I went to a D3 school with decades ago. Nothing came of it, but they knew about him.

I just don't buy that the Scouting Departments for NFL teams re-arrange their boards much based on these events. I will buy that the coaches do. They have been doing season work and are likely just starting to learn about prospects. And I will buy that the pundits do. But if I owned a team and the Senior Bowl events radically altered my draft departments board -- I might think about firing my draft department.
    I just get to thinking that the system is set up for what worked or was needed eleventy decades ago and no one seems to question what is actually needed now? It seems that teams really want to see how guys process and assimilate information more than any physical work. So maybe they should focus on that rather than the "game stuff"?