Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

When does the luck run out?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Usually runs out this time of year. I suspect against the Eagles, that lick won’t be there…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If Brady or AB were any good, they wouldn’t have lasted to the 6th round…
    that guy Donnie Shell must have sucked too he was an UDFA when the draft lasted 17 rounds ...

odd that his numbers are as good in most and better in some than Troy P's ....

also interesting he dawns a gold jacket in Canton isnt it ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

luck hmmm .... looks more like talent to most .......
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

that guy Donnie Shell must have sucked too he was an UDFA when the draft lasted 17 rounds ...

odd that his numbers are as good in most and better in some than Troy P's ....

also interesting he dawns a gold jacket in Canton isnt it ...

- - - Updated - - -

luck hmmm .... looks more like talent to most .......
    Numbers don't always tell the whole story...Hurts has also a major impact on the eagles running game

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Numbers don't always tell the whole story...Hurts has also a major impact on the eagles running game

always said job #1 as a qb was to throw the ball , anything else is a bonus ...

Hurts running is partially accounted for in TD totals as it incorporates both rushing and passing ...

as a passer Purdy edges him out and when talking QBs passing is the most important aspect of their game IMO

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hurts running is also a big reason why his availability is always questionable.

always said job #1 as a qb was to throw the ball , anything else is a bonus ...

Hurts running is partially accounted for in TD totals as it incorporates both rushing and passing ...

as a passer Purdy edges him out and when talking QBs passing is the most important aspect of their game IMO
    The legs of Hurts is a huge part of the gameplan of the others team so yes it matters big time....He is a complete QB who can also throw deep.....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The conversation/debate on the drive in radio show this morning was whether or not Joe Burrow becomes the face of the NFL if the Bengals win the SB this year. My mind immediately goes to the Montana/Marino pre-SB hype and all the talk of the NFL’s next great rivalry since the Steelers/Cowboys. Obviously, for as great as Marino was, Montana won the championships and became the face of the league.
    Then, I think about Peyton Manning’s draft year and how he was going to take the league by storm and become that face of the franchise. But then a relatively unknown QB out of Michigan stole all or most of that shine a few years later.
    QBs like Burrow and Hurts are being talked about now in MVP conversations and some ‘legend to be’ status. Meanwhile, guys like Pickett and Purdy put up steady results with franchises that know how to build champions. I don’t know the future of the NFL. But history tells me it is a bit premature to start throwing ‘face of the league’ on any player even if they win one SB.
    I will say that it will be impressive if Burrow wins this year because it will have to come vs one of the top2 defenses this season. But face of the league? A bit too early to go there.
    Thoughts?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Not with the big plays beyond 20 yards that Purdy, they wouldn't. San Fransisco's offensive with Jimmy G or Trey Lance wasn't as good was it? Purdy as a rookie is completing 67.1% of his passes, throws an average of 8.1 yard pet attempts ( 2nd in the NFL ) and has 13 TD's and only 4 Interceptions. He has fumbled zero times as had a passer rating of 107.3 which is tops in the NFL .

https://www.nfl.com/players/brock-purdy/stats/career
    And over the years there have been several one hot wonders that become has beens quickly. Outside of Philly the guy is playing with the most talented team, from the trenches to all the skill players.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The conversation/debate on the drive in radio show this morning was whether or not Joe Burrow becomes the face of the NFL if the Bengals win the SB this year. My mind immediately goes to the Montana/Marino pre-SB hype and all the talk of the NFL’s next great rivalry since the Steelers/Cowboys. Obviously, for as great as Marino was, Montana won the championships and became the face of the league.
    Then, I think about Peyton Manning’s draft year and how he was going to take the league by storm and become that face of the franchise. But then a relatively unknown QB out of Michigan stole all or most of that shine a few years later.
    QBs like Burrow and Hurts are being talked about now in MVP conversations and some ‘legend to be’ status. Meanwhile, guys like Pickett and Purdy put up steady results with franchises that know how to build champions. I don’t know the future of the NFL. But history tells me it is a bit premature to start throwing ‘face of the league’ on any player even if they win one SB.
    I will say that it will be impressive if Burrow wins this year because it will have to come vs one of the top2 defenses this season. But face of the league? A bit too early to go there.
    Thoughts?
    It think SB Champion Joe Burrow could absolutely become the marketing focus of the NFL. He swaggers around chomping on cigars after big wins. He gives great quotes - the NFL better refund the neutral site tickets and the championship window is my whole career - both are amazing in an era of bland cliches and boring superstars.

It is going to be weird having the Bengals on TV 9 times a season...but I can see the NFL focusing on Burrow a lot more. Brady looks done. Rodgers is weird and toxic. Herbert hasn't won anything. Dak keeps Dakking. Mahomes is a breathtaking player but he is kind of boring. Allen hasn't won a signature game. Who else is there?

I think I took "face of the league" different than you. I take it to mean what stories and players is the NFL using to engage people. I think you mean who is the best or most successful player? Those can be the same but they can also be different.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Anyone remember how they were lining up to make Aaron Rodgers the new golden boy when he won the Super Bowl, but then it died out as soon as he didn't make it back in a couple years? Or when they wanted Drew Brews so badly to be it, but just the one title was all he got?

That kind of fame is fleeting. Although I hindsight, I can't say which would have been worse: 10 years of the most facepunchable QB ever, Tom Brady, as the face of the league - or being constantly reminded for 10 years about how many semi-pro rugby championships the Packers won before electricity was invented.

Bottom line, if Joe Burrow wins a championship, he'll have at least one more to go before any of that "face of the league" stuff. And I also think you need your team to be dominant and feared more than the Bengals are. If you're not constantly rolling into the playoffs as the favorite, but surprising people as the third or fourth choice, they won't give you that crown.

If the league has any preference for which QB wins it this year, Burrow would have to be last on the list. All the others are much better storylines. Mahomes gritting it out to overcome the odds and claim that "dynasty" mystique with a second championship ... Purdy the literal biggest possible underdog ... or Hurts the dazzling playmaker who wins it a different way on his own terms, and oh by the way, would be a great face of marketing campaigns to "connect" with urban youths and "inspire" any idiot who thinks doing things their own way makes them special. Burrow is at the bottom of the heap there, man, just a regular guy chucking footballs, in a city whose greatest claim to fame is people saying, "Isn't that when a girl takes a dump on your chest? Wait, no, that's Cleveland." Good luck.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It think SB Champion Joe Burrow could absolutely become the marketing focus of the NFL. He swaggers around chomping on cigars after big wins. He gives great quotes - the NFL better refund the neutral site tickets and the championship window is my whole career - both are amazing in an era of bland cliches and boring superstars.

It is going to be weird having the Bengals on TV 9 times a season...but I can see the NFL focusing on Burrow a lot more. Brady looks done. Rodgers is weird and toxic. Herbert hasn't won anything. Dak keeps Dakking. Mahomes is a breathtaking player but he is kind of boring. Allen hasn't won a signature game. Who else is there?

I think I took "face of the league" different than you. I take it to mean what stories and players is the NFL using to engage people. I think you mean who is the best or most successful player? Those can be the same but they can also be different.
    I loved his small hands quote before he was drafted.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I loved his small hands quote before he was drafted.
    Burrow seems to be genuinely hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Haven't seen Purdy do anything like this yet. Pickett definitely has more talent
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

The Eagles will be the ultimate test for Purdy. If he passes, which I’m not predicting either way, I will give him credit.

The Eagles will be the ultimate test for Purdy. If he passes, which I’m not predicting either way, I will give him credit.
    You'd have to. Traveling cross country to an ultra hostile crowd against the #1 seed, I can't picture a bigger possible challenge other than the super bowl itself.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

lol that is all

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    You'd have to. Traveling cross country to an ultra hostile crowd against the #1 seed, I can't picture a bigger possible challenge other than the super bowl itself.
    Some here won’t.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Some here won’t.
    That is the way.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Purdy absolutely deserves a ton of credit for what he has been doing. I think so many people get caught up in this as if it's a contest between Purdy and Pickett. Why can't both players get credit for what they are doing in the different situations they are both currently in?

I think that Purdy has been playing great football in a great offensive system with high-end talent around him everywhere. He has as good a set of weapons as there is in the NFL, and a dominant offensive line anchored by the best LT in football. He plays for a head coach that may be the best designer of offense and is considered by pretty much everybody the best play caller in all of football. The defense is fantastic, and dominant at times. It's a great situation for him to be in. He has played very well while executing the offense and has done everything you could ever ask a rookie quarterback to do.

Pickett is playing in a much more pedestrian offensive system, with an offensive line that was horrible early in the year and young players at every skill position. He had a bunch of turnovers, and the team didn't play very well. As the year went on, the offensive line began to play better, they were able to run the ball, he eliminated turnovers, and the young skill players continued to grow with him. By the end of the season, Pickett looked like a very competent NFL quarterback with the ability to elevate his game in pressure, game-deciding moments. His clutch play is what really stands out. It is not something that is easily found in quarterbacks, and it isn't something that can be taught. You either have it or you don't. It's hard not to be excited about his future and think about how much fun it is going to be to watch him grow as a player.

We are just going to have to let this play out for a few seasons to see what happens, but I believe Kenny Pickett has a chance to be an excellent quarterback. I like what I have seen from him. He has shown that he can handle pressure in the pocket and has already demonstrated that he can succeed when everything isn't great around him. That is one of the true measures of a quarterback. Most can succeed when everything around them is perfect. It is the player that can make something happen even when other aspects of the game aren't playing well.

Purdy has been great, but what happens when everything around him isn't dominant? We haven't seen that yet because he hasn't experienced one game where he didn't have the better team and more talent around him than the team he was playing against.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If Purdy is indeed the game manager type, nothing wrong with that. We had our own first rate game manager take us to the Super Bowl in 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    If Purdy is indeed the game manager type, nothing wrong with that. We had our own first rate game manager take us to the Super Bowl in 95.
    Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Joe Flacco won super bowls. It can be done, especially since SF is as stacked a team as you can possibly find in the modern NFL. I just shudder to think how scary they would be if they had their last two first round picks had they not made the Lance trade.

In any case, this is exactlyt the kind of team that can win a SB with a game manager for a QB.

some of y'all need to look at the numbers , he is anything but a game manager ..the kid makes plays

some of y'all need to look at the numbers , he is anything but a game manager ..the kid makes plays
    He is good but not as good as the number....The 49ers have such a great system with great players around him that the 49ers have often a easy play for a huge gain for the team and also for your own number

His numbers in the game against the seahawks in the playoffs were inflated and it was not just because of the play of Samuel who had 60 yards after the catch....

If Purdy wins the Super Bowl (I'm not saying he will), some of you will say, "Yeah he has great stats and yeah he won the Super Bowl, but..."

If Purdy wins the Super Bowl (I'm not saying he will), some of you will say, "Yeah he has great stats and yeah he won the Super Bowl, but..."
    If he don't perform well in the next few season,it will be the case....But if he continue to play very well with a different supporting cast,it will not be the case

Again, look back on this in 3 years.

There was a thread after the 2014 draft on Shazier vs Mosley. Who was going to have the better career and all that. The 'football universe' has a way of letting us know that we know nothing. Let this play out, enjoy the games while we have them.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I could really care less what Purdy does, he plays for the 49ers. The only person who i follow is KP who is a steeler I won't waste my time compairing either.

“You can put any quarterback in that SF offense and they’re gonna play well and put up good stats!!”