Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Murray. Stafford when he is healthy. Watson from 2 years ago. Dak before his brain decided to not deal with pressure. All are impressive and seem to succeed regardless of system.

Then there is the not impressive but effective tier of guys that need a strong system to thrive in like Goff, Cousins, Tua, Jimmy G, and so on.

Next is guys like Davis Mills and Mac Jones that just don't look like there is more there right now.

Then there is the incomplete but "Wow, there might be something here...if..." guys like Fields, Pickett, and whatever rookie through third year guys you like.

So where does Purdy fit? I think he is Mac Jones in a better offense. A less mobile and accurate Tua in a better system. That doesn't impress me. Just like Jimmy G being effective in the same system didn't. Just like Cousins hitting a wall against good defenses in a similar system doesn't. And just like Tua having the bottom fall out on him when defenses figured out what McDaniels was doing that had him in the MVP conversation.

Just as I didn't believe that Tua was an MVP caliber QB, I do not believe that Purdy is anymore than a decent back-up QB on a heater in the most QB friendly system in the entire league surrounded by, perhaps, the best set of playmakers in the entire league.
    Burrow?? I kinda agree with some of your points except Murray and Lamar. I mean Russel Wilson would’ve been on list before last year. Except for 3 guys it’s a dynamic situation.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Nope. I still go with KP. I’m rooting for Purdy, I think it’s great story and amazing performance. You’re extremely bias with anything pertaining to KP. You went all in on not wanting him, when he absolutely was the right pick. The niners offense is a pro bowl offense. You think Tomlin and Kahn would swap the two if they had chance. I think not.
    He's gonna keep hating on KP even if he wins 4 super bowl MVP's in a row lol
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Burrow?? I kinda agree with some of your points except Murray and Lamar. I mean Russel Wilson would’ve been on list before last year. Except for 3 guys it’s a dynamic situation.
    Doh! I forgot about Burrow. I left Wilson and Rodgers and Brady off entirely because they might be on a separate list under something to do with Father Time or their situations were just too bad for them to overcome...I have no idea.

It can be pretty dynamic and no one listing is the end all be all. This is just a sketch of how I see it.

Purdy is a great story and as a fan of all things NFL, I have been having fun watching his run. But I just think it is more of a guy getting hot in a great situation than the next "how did everyone miss this guy" out of nowhere success story.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Murray. Stafford when he is healthy. Watson from 2 years ago. Dak before his brain decided to not deal with pressure. All are impressive and seem to succeed regardless of system.

Then there is the not impressive but effective tier of guys that need a strong system to thrive in like Goff, Cousins, Tua, Jimmy G, and so on.

Next is guys like Davis Mills and Mac Jones that just don't look like there is more there right now.

Then there is the incomplete but "Wow, there might be something here...if..." guys like Fields, Pickett, and whatever rookie through third year guys you like.

So where does Purdy fit? I think he is Mac Jones in a better offense. A less mobile and accurate Tua in a better system. That doesn't impress me. Just like Jimmy G being effective in the same system didn't. Just like Cousins hitting a wall against good defenses in a similar system doesn't. And just like Tua having the bottom fall out on him when defenses figured out what McDaniels was doing that had him in the MVP conversation.

Just as I didn't believe that Tua was an MVP caliber QB, I do not believe that Purdy is anymore than a decent back-up QB on a heater in the most QB friendly system in the entire league surrounded by, perhaps, the best set of playmakers in the entire league.
    I have a minor disagreement with you, Mojouw. Mac Jones might have the worst set of skill players in the NFL. Exactly who is he throwing to? No one as good as the Steelers have for sure and there are other teams that have even us who even greater skill players. A good game manger type or maybe even borderline top 10 QB with better avenge NFL skill players he is.

Purdy didn't play at Alabama or throw to anyone I can name is the NFL, did he? No. He was the QB of a 4-8 team as his last season there. Iowa State a door mat team in the Big Ten.

He has a better arm and mobility the Jones, and I flat out think he's better than Tua and has a slightly better arm then him, pocket awareness, IQ, Toughness ( Tua was glass in college and unfortunately may have a brief NFL career due los lack of ability ) Mobility and running ability seems to be even. If he keeps playing like this next year he will have greater acclaim for sure from the football media.

As you can tell I view him higher than most.

I think he is a top 12 QB in the NFL right now! You really can't rate him as elite not because he doesn't deserve some consideration on the topic, primary because he is a rookie. What rookie QB now or all time has played better? If you can only come up with one or two names, my point is proven.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    THIS

And anyone here that wouldn't trade the two ( and the original cost meaning steelers get pick 20 back and spend their last pick on Purdy) is a damn liar ( and a fool )
    Not even close. Purdy, much like the rookie Ben, inherited an elite defense with an elite running game. KP inherited an offense that was one of the worst in the league in rushing, while also being one of the worst in protecting their QB. Not to mention inconsistent WRs, as well as an OC who 95% of Steelers fans want fired.

Their situations are completely different and if you throw KP in Purdy's situation we're talking about Kenny Pickett as offensive rookie of the year, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I just don't see anything to get excited about with Purdy.

He's got a mediocre arm at best and as soon as a defense can figure out how to slow down those short area in breaking routes and make him win on throws to the outside, its going to get ugly.

Purdy is in the PERFECT situation for his skills. His ability to quickly identify the place to go with the ball and then let his playmakers do their thing is an ideal trait for the offense.

He's got a mediocre arm at best and as soon as a defense can figure out how to slow down those short area in breaking routes and make him win on throws to the outside, its going to get ugly.

Purdy is in the PERFECT situation for his skills. His ability to quickly identify the place to go with the ball and then let his playmakers do their thing is an ideal trait for the offense.

For a rookie to average 200 + yards a game throwing 13 interceptions and 4 interceptions with a 107.3 QB rating is AMAZING. It is first the NFL! 8.6 yards per passing play is AMAING, that is second in the NFL. This is no game manger, I'm telling you. Watch him play, you'll be impressed with his ability to read a defense, QB IQ, pocket mobility, and general accuracy. He has enough arm to throw and complete the 6, 7, 8, and 9 routes. For what I am talking about the below chart will add value. Ask me my take of Pickett later.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-route-tree

By the way he has yet to fumble running the ball or passing it. I judge his ball security to be excellent. You just don't get these type of takes in the media in general. If you want to get your takes from media, check out Nick Wright. He is rather good.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Brady all in the perfect situation. That’s a big part of the deal with many players…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    For a rookie to average 200 + yards a game throwing 13 interceptions and 4 interceptions with a 107.3 QB rating is AMAZING. It is first the NFL! 8.6 yards per passing play is AMAING, that is second in the NFL. This is no game manger, I'm telling you. Watch him play, you'll be impressed with his QB ability to read a defense, QB IQ, pocket mobility, and general accuracy. He has enough arm to throw ,and complete the 6, 7, 8 and 9 routes. For what I am talking about the below chart will add value.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-route-tree

By the way he has yet to fumble running the ball or passing it. You just don get these type of takes in the media in general. If you must take their news from Nick Wright, he is a rather good.
    And he would be one year and done in our offense.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Brady all in the perfect situation. That’s a big part of the deal with many players…
    Not really.

Jackson is quite good throwing over the middle between LBers and Safeties. But instead of spreading it out and attacking defenses horizontally, the Ravens pack it all in, compress the field, and make Lamar attack vertically along the sidelines, something that he has struggled with since his college days. And that was likely necessary at first as Jackson adjusted to the NFL...but they never changed and it shows. Lamar on say like the Niners offense or surrounded by the weapons the Eagles invested in would be like when you break a video game with a create a player.

I didn't watch the Bucs this year...but Brady seemed to struggle so something was far from perfect.

Mahomes is in a great situation and it shows.

Allen...shmaybe? He has Diggs and like some dudes. PLaycalling seemed to take a MAJOR step back with the departure of Daboll. Seemed to be more "Allen Save US!" playcalls than in prior years...but I only saw a handful of games.

I think you all are VASTLY underestimating how much the Niners offensive system and associated playmakers is supporting the QB right now. This is like when everyone in the media was talking about Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe or had Tua as the MVP. Smoke and Mirrors man. Smoke and Mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    And he would be one year and done in our offense.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Um no. Picket is not completing the type of throws that impress me. They are mostly short less than 7 yard throws. Where the ball travels to be completed is what I'm talking about. See the above link to aid in what I am talking about. His range is fine but the velocity on his arm ( MPH ) and puts too much air on the football, ( arch is too high ) which allows defenders to break up his passes and intercept the ball for the none short / dump off type of passes. Now he has a good pass catching back, a very good TE and a very good WR who makes several did you see that type of catches doesn't he? I think his low yard pre per pass play in general and holding of the players I mentioned back form better play and would be better with an above average to very good quarterback. Throwing the type of passes that DJ Johnson gets open for does not impress me in general. I get it that he is a rookie but I'm waiting for him to show me this type of throws. This MUST change next year otherwise our ground game will be further constrained The NFL had plenty of good DC's.

We choose the wrong guy I think. Better stated he is Andy Dalton like in my book with slight less arm, and slight more mobility. If you are content with that, all I can say is I'm not and hope for a staring QB of higher standard.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Not really.

Jackson is quite good throwing over the middle between LBers and Safeties. But instead of spreading it out and attacking defenses horizontally, the Ravens pack it all in, compress the field, and make Lamar attack vertically along the sidelines, something that he has struggled with since his college days. And that was likely necessary at first as Jackson adjusted to the NFL...but they never changed and it shows. Lamar on say like the Niners offense or surrounded by the weapons the Eagles invested in would be like when you break a video game with a create a player.

I didn't watch the Bucs this year...but Brady seemed to struggle so something was far from perfect.

Mahomes is in a great situation and it shows.

Allen...shmaybe? He has Diggs and like some dudes. PLaycalling seemed to take a MAJOR step back with the departure of Daboll. Seemed to be more "Allen Save US!" playcalls than in prior years...but I only saw a handful of games.

I think you all are VASTLY underestimating how much the Niners offensive system and associated playmakers is supporting the QB right now. This is like when everyone in the media was talking about Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe or had Tua as the MVP. Smoke and Mirrors man. Smoke and Mirrors.
    Jackson put into a pocket passing offense isnt going to work. Romans offense was good for Jackson. Brady without the Patriots offense, never becomes what he is today. Big difference between Allen now and Allen last season and Allen at the beginning of his career. Reid let’s Mahomes be Mahomes. Put Mahomes in Matt Canadas offense and he’s not Patrick Mahomes.

There’s a reason GMs draft these guys…to fit their systems. They certainly aren’t going to draft Peyton Manning to play in Lamar Jackson’s offense.

All these guys, when younger, benefit from the system they are in in one way or another…it’s the same for all positions.

You knock the guy because he’s playing well in a system where ONLY one other 49ers QB has shown success…Matt Ryan showed success in this system…does that make him a meh QB? Probably one of the more consistent QBs in the last 10 years…

Jackson put into a pocket passing offense isnt going to work. Romans offense was good for Jackson. Brady without the Patriots offense, never becomes what he is today. Big difference between Allen now and Allen last season and Allen at the beginning of his career. Reid let’s Mahomes be Mahomes. Put Mahomes in Matt Canadas offense and he’s not Patrick Mahomes.

There’s a reason GMs draft these guys…to fit their systems. They certainly aren’t going to draft Peyton Manning to play in Lamar Jackson’s offense.

All these guys, when younger, benefit from the system they are in in one way or another…it’s the same for all positions.

You knock the guy because he’s playing well in a system where ONLY one other 49ers QB has shown success…Matt Ryan showed success in this system…does that make him a meh QB? Probably one of the more consistent QBs in the last 10 years…
    Kirk Cousins
    Tua
    Jimmy G
    Goff

Just a few of the guys that have excelled in a version of this system. And all of those guys have significant flaws in their games that caused teams to move on from them in order to progress. Purdy is likely in the same boat.

Ryan might be the best QB to play in this system aside from Aaron Rodgers and Burrow. And the one year he was in a version of it he was the MVP of the league. And then Shanahan left and the team never got back to those offensive highs.

This system has been a tour de force around the league for a long time and the reformed version of it for almost a decade now. And everywhere anyone takes it, the QB gets a massive bump. Some sustain that bump -- others do not.

I do not think Purdy is good enough to sustain this nor do I think he would have anywhere near comparable success outside of this specific system and roster setting.

- - - Updated - - -

I can not find the stats for the Dallas game but in the Seattle game, Purdy was completing less than the expected amount of passes. Basically, by how open the receiver was on each play, Purdy was doing worse than what an "average" NFL QB would be reasonably expected to do.

This roster and system is doing as much or more than Purdy is right now.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

brock got a purdy mouth

- - - Updated - - -

have to say that offense is chock full of elite playmakers. samuel, mccaffery, kittle. that's about as good as it gets. imagine how good they'd be if they didn't trade for lance and had that 1st round pick on another offensive weapon. My god.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    brock got a purdy mouth

- - - Updated - - -

have to say that offense is chock full of elite playmakers. samuel, mccaffery, kittle. that's about as good as it gets. imagine how good they'd be if they didn't trade for lance and had that 1st round pick on another offensive weapon. My god.
    That’s absolutely terrifying.

Or imagine another pass rusher!

Watching the defense totally meltdown as they try and figure out what to do with Deebo in the backfield while CMC is motioned out wide is hilarious to watch.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    brock got a purdy mouth

- - - Updated - - -

You mean two first-round picks. They traded three R1s and an R3 for that piece of shit, and all but the 2023 R1 have happened already.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You mean two first-round picks. They traded three R1s and an R3 for that piece of shit, and all but the 2023 R1 have happened already.
    That's true. Well add one 1st round pick on his 2nd year and a 1st rounder this year to that squad. One an offensive player and the 2nd one a pass rusher opposite of Bosa. That's like having the all-madden team lol

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Um no. Picket is not completing the type of throws that impress me. They are mostly short less than 7 yard throws. Where the ball travels to be completed is what I'm talking about. See the above link to aid in what I am talking about. His range is fine but the velocity on his arm ( MPH ) and puts too much air on the football, ( arch is too high ) which allows defenders to break up his passes and intercept the ball for the none short / dump off type of passes. Now he has a good pass catching back, a very good TE and a very good WR who makes several did you see that type of catches doesn't he? I think his low yard pre per pass play in general and holding of the players I mentioned back form better play and would be better with an above average to very good quarterback. Throwing the type of passes that DJ Johnson gets open for does not impress me in general. I get it that he is a rookie but I'm waiting for him to show me this type of throws. This MUST change next year otherwise our ground game will be further constrained The NFL had plenty of good DC's.

We choose the wrong guy I think. Better stated he is Andy Dalton like in my book with slight less arm, and slight more mobility. If you are content with that, all I can say is I'm not and hope for a staring QB of higher standard.

You can like Purdy all you want. You can even say that you think the Steelers made a mistake by taking Pickett instead of Purdy. I don't agree with it, but I can at least understand it.

When you say that Pickett is "Andy Dalton like in my book", that tells me you are pushing your point but are blinded by your own position. Kenny Pickett is NOTHING like Andy Dalton. Dalton is the text book example of a guy that puts up decent numbers but doesn't make plays in big moments or make a real difference on the field. Pickett is nothing like that. He has already shown that he elevates his game when everything is on the line. He plays with confidence and he makes plays to win games in clutch moments. You either aren't watching the games like you seem to be preaching to everyone else, or you are knocking Pickett to try to make your opinion on Purdy sound better. But it's not reality.

Of all the quarterbacks to compare Pickett to, you choose Andy Dalton? I don't know what the future holds for Kenny Pickett or what his ultimate ceiling is, but I know that his entire makeup is different from Dalton by the way he plays the game. The game was always too big for Dalton, and he shrunk when the lights were brightest. That is certainly not the case with Kenny Pickett. He embraces pressure and seems to thrive in it.

Kirk Cousins
    Tua
    Jimmy G
    Goff

Just a few of the guys that have excelled in a version of this system. And all of those guys have significant flaws in their games that caused teams to move on from them in order to progress. Purdy is likely in the same boat.

Ryan might be the best QB to play in this system aside from Aaron Rodgers and Burrow. And the one year he was in a version of it he was the MVP of the league. And then Shanahan left and the team never got back to those offensive highs.

This system has been a tour de force around the league for a long time and the reformed version of it for almost a decade now. And everywhere anyone takes it, the QB gets a massive bump. Some sustain that bump -- others do not.

I do not think Purdy is good enough to sustain this nor do I think he would have anywhere near comparable success outside of this specific system and roster setting.

- - - Updated - - -

I can not find the stats for the Dallas game but in the Seattle game, Purdy was completing less than the expected amount of passes. Basically, by how open the receiver was on each play, Purdy was doing worse than what an "average" NFL QB would be reasonably expected to do.

Point is, many, many, many, many players succeed because of a system. Probably 80% of the league…lol. Two of the greatest QBs in history succeeded because of a system (Montana, Young). It’s a thing in the NFL…like it or not…

You’re judging Purdy with conviction on 6-Games (or whatever it is). Two of which came against playoff teams. How can you be sure about Purdys skill set but you’ve watched Pickett for however many games and not be sure about his skill set?

Maybe we’ve seen the peak of Purdys performance or maybe we are at the bottom…there’s no way to know but as in the case of Pickett, it’s in the early stages. System or not, the guy is playing well.

I mean you might as well say system dependent Josh Allen appears to be a one season wonder. There’s no evidence that proves otherwise. Guy has a strong arm…great…he’s Jeff George 2.0. Wait he can run…okay, he’s the white version of Michael Vick. Clearly not the case…but this is a closed minded example. Just like saying “Purdy sucks” yet he’s shown everything but…

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You can like Purdy all you want. You can even say that you think the Steelers made a mistake by taking Pickett instead of Purdy. I don't agree with it, but I can at least understand it.

When you say that Pickett is "Andy Dalton like in my book", that tells me you are pushing your point but are blinded by your own position. Kenny Pickett is NOTHING like Andy Dalton. Dalton is the text book example of a guy that puts up decent numbers but doesn't make plays in big moments or make a real difference on the field. Pickett is nothing like that. He has already shown that he elevates his game when everything is on the line. He plays with confidence and he makes plays to win games in clutch moments. You either aren't watching the games like you seem to be preaching to everyone else, or you are knocking Pickett to try to make your opinion on Purdy sound better. But it's not reality.

Of all the quarterbacks to compare Pickett to, you choose Andy Dalton? I don't know what the future holds for Kenny Pickett or what his ultimate ceiling is, but I know that his entire makeup is different from Dalton by the way he plays the game. The game was always too big for Dalton, and he shrunk when the lights were brightest. That is certainly not the case with Kenny Pickett. He embraces pressure and seems to thrive in it.

As a Steeler fan I liked the fact that Cincy allocated a large percentage of their cap space to Andy Dalton. He was an above average QB , but not good enough to beat the better teams. They should have moved on from him sooner. The Dalton and Lewis combination was perfect in my book. Wouldn't you agree? It actually better to pick a bust QB...because you move on from him sooner. But the Andy was a bit better than that. He was not a bust. They extended him! The worst thing in football today is to overpay a guy on the salary cap at quarter back who is not worth the money. Sink the franchise that player will. They are stuck with him and to cut him will hurt badly on the salary cap. Look around.

I compare Pickett's upside to Daltons, not because they both have red hair, its their playing style and game. That to me is his upside and the best comparison of play. Who else does Pickett compare with? Pickett has a slightly worse arm, but slightly better mobility in comparison to Dalton. His durability? If we are being real here, Andy Dalton in his best years was an above average stater. He was far better than Pickett has been as a rookie. Daltons rookie season was far superior to Pickett's. The comparison is not an insult. That his upside base on my opinion. Pickett is not franchise level QB in my opinion. If you think he is I more than sure someone will offer you a bet on that. Where do you stand, who would you compare him to?

Check the data here on Dalton:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...D/DaltAn00.htm

Point is, many, many, many, many players succeed because of a system. Probably 80% of the league…lol. Two of the greatest QBs in history succeeded because of a system (Montana, Young). It’s a thing in the NFL…like it or not…

You’re judging Purdy with conviction on 6-Games (or whatever it is). Two of which came against playoff teams. How can you be sure about Purdys skill set but you’ve watched Pickett for however many games and not be sure about his skill set?

Maybe we’ve seen the peak of Purdys performance or maybe we are at the bottom…there’s no way to know but as in the case of Pickett, it’s in the early stages. System or not, the guy is playing well.

I mean you might as well say system dependent Josh Allen appears to be a one season wonder. There’s no evidence that proves otherwise. Guy has a strong arm…great…he’s Jeff George 2.0. Wait he can run…okay, he’s the white version of Michael Vick. Clearly not the case…but this is a closed minded example. Just like saying “Purdy sucks” yet he’s shown everything but…
    Montana is perhaps the GOAT. Young and Allen were/are supremely talented players who needed coaching to harness their abilities.

But, sure, Purdy’s the next league MVP. I guess anything could happen.

I’m going to stick to the position that a one read and roll to his left QB eventually has the league catch up to his earth shaking abilities.

This is like arguing that Foles should be in the HOF.

Montana is perhaps the GOAT. Young and Allen were/are supremely talented players who needed coaching to harness their abilities.

But, sure, Purdy’s the next league MVP. I guess anything could happen.

I’m going to stick to the position that a one read and roll to his left QB eventually has the league catch up to his earth shaking abilities.

This is like arguing that Foles should be in the HOF.
    How do you know Montana would do well as a rookie in Tampa Bays system?

Nobody’s saying Purdy is the next MVP but how can you evaluate what he is in a few games but then turn around and say you can’t evaluate Pickett because you’d like to see more?

How do you know Montana would do well as a rookie in Tampa Bays system?

Nobody’s saying Purdy is the next MVP but how can you evaluate what he is in a few games but then turn around and say you can’t evaluate Pickett because you’d like to see more?
    Because one guy plays in the most QB friendly offense in the entire league and another plays in one of the worst passing offenses in the entire league. If we are evaluating both as frisky back-up QBs - then sure they are both that.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not every rookie QB can be Bradshaw.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Lots of incredible GMs in this thread!

Kirk Cousins
    Tua
    Jimmy G
    Goff

- - - Updated - - -

It is the system for the reason for Purdy and some others doing well why don't we have that system that the other players you mention who " excelled " have? I like to read that reply. Honestly I would. IMO we don't have the QB or the Coach we need. Pickett is not that lone term solution I fear. Purdy is good, better than Pickett. I won't call him elite yet . If he win next Sunday over the Eagles things will get interesting.

It is the system for the reason for Purdy and some others doing well why don't we have that system that the other players you mention who " excelled " have? I like to read that reply. Honestly I would. IMO we don't have the QB or the Coach we need. Pickett is not that lone term solution I fear. Purdy is good, better than Pickett. I won't call him elite yet . If he win next Sunday over the Eagles things will get interesting.
    I don't know. The Steelers have not shown an interest in hiring an OC off the Shanahan-McVay tree. Most of the rest of the league has. I suspect that it is because those coaches have been able to get interviews for head coaching gigs NOT coordinator jobs. Since Tomlin isn't going anywhere, then the Steelers are not in that market.

The Steelers do not seem interested in big name/status coordinators. I think it is because they realize those guys, particularly on offense, want to be head coaches. So you are basically hiring a guy for a year, maybe two. Then you have to repeat once they leave. I think Tomlin and Colbert wanted stability at the position, so they have been going a tier or more down the list to get guys that are viewed as only coordinator level coaches. I realize that Haley was a HC and Arians went on to be one. But at the time, Haley was a failed HC and Arians was not viewed as a guy that was going to get traction as HC candidate.

That is what it seems like from the outside. I do not like that strategy but I can see where they are coming from. I think they had the right idea with Canada. Hire a guy to put in some more motion and playaction into the offense. Get different play concepts out of similar formations. A guy with a rep for easing the load on his QB. They just picked the wrong guy. His stuff has not translated well to the NFL level. I wish they would have thrown in the towel on this version of the experiment and went back to the well and found someone else.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Purdy basically had the same skill set as Kyle Lauletta a few years ago from Richmond. Not a strong arm, not the tallest guy, but one that makes quick decisions and fairly accurate passes. The amount of starting experience at the college level that Purdy has was a benefit and I thought he might go around the 5th round of the draft.

If Purdy was in Pittsburgh, fans would be complaining about his weak arm. He has a top O line and great skill players around him in Deebo, Kittle, McCaffrey, plus that 49ers defense is much better than the Steelers have. They are doing enough to win with Purdy and good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Lots of incredible GMs in this thread!
    The best!