Thread: Do we really need DB help?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Do we really need DB help?

Steelers lead the league in Interceptions...

do we really NEED a CB that bad?

(20 ints)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Do we really need DB help?

IMO, yes. Only 4 of those INTs happened while TJ was out and QBs weren't under as much pressure. Minkah had 6, TJ had 2, and Kazee had 2. Wallace had 13PD with 4 INTs, and Sutton had 15PD with 3INTs. Sutton is an UFA, and Wallace has 1 year left on his contract. I think we have to keep adding whether in the draft or in FA. Plus there is some real talent in this year's draft pool.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes.....they were 25th in yards per pass play and they give up the 5th most TD in the NFL with 29......And you never have enough CB when you have a team like the current bengals....Just to watch the second game against the bengals and also the game vs eagles and Bills....it was awful

And only 10 of his interception was at the CB position

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes and they aren’t getting Joey Jr. at 17

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Watch the Eagles and Bills games again. A.J. Brown, Gabe Davis and Stefon Diggs all looked like men among boys against our secondary.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

One of Joey Porter Jr, Cam Smith, Christian Gonzalez, Kelee Ringo, Devon Witherspoon, Brian Branch, Eli Ricks, Garrett Williams, Clark Phillips, Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson, DJ Turner, Emmanuel Forbes, will be there at 17 or 32 or 49. I expect a free agent signing at CB, with or without re-signing Sutton, and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick this year. The talent pool is just too deep.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes.....they were 25th in yards per pass play and they give up the 5th most TD in the NFL with 29......And you never have enough CB when you have a team like the current bengals....Just to watch the second game against the bengals and also the game vs eagles and Bills....it was awful

And only 10 of his interception was at the CB position
    I truly think it’s more our heavy zone scheme . We’ve never been a big man coverage defense . I’d rather focus on OL in the off-season.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I truly think it’s more our heavy zone scheme . We’ve never been a big man coverage defense . I’d rather focus on OL in the off-season.
    Not true......Because they were often in man to man situation vs Bills and especially eagles.....the steelers play more man to man than before

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Not true......Because they were often in man to man situation vs Bills and especially eagles.....the steelers play more man to man than before
    Mostly true. The Steelers play a hybrid Nickel that puts their CBs in man and lets the Safeties play more zone/zone run. The 2-4-5 scheme does require more 'blue chip' defenders at each level than a base 3-4/4-3, only because roles are less defined and interchangeable in places. Our Safeties have been stellar most games, it's our CBs that need upgraded. If Sutton leaves via FA we will be hurting bad at the CB position. Right now we need 2.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes and they aren’t getting Joey Jr. at 17

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You think he will last that long??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You think he will last that long??
    I hope. He’s my favorite…

Joey Porter Jr just needs to be a Steelers draft pick. I have seen him listed on big boards as high as top10 and as low as mid 30s. Until the workouts we just have go with our favorite college players.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Joey Porter Jr just needs to be a Steelers draft pick.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Keep adding blue chip defensive players. The offensive side has their own needs.

If Peezy is gone, and we go corner, gimme Witherspoon. He might actually be the best in the draft.

Steven Gilmore has had some spectacular games. He’s smallish, and played against lesser competition… but, he’s worth a R4 pick. And, Yes it’s a Homer pick. Go Herd!!!

Also, in R3, I’d take a stab at Riley Moss (Iowa).

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

While I know that we need dire help at CB, I feel that building the foundational (Offensives and Defensive) lines are always the most important. Hampton isn't coming back, neither is Hargrave or Tuitt and Heyward won't be around forever and on OL we only need about 8 key positions and we'll be good. So that being said, I'm rooting for something like this:

RD1 LT Broderick Jones - UGA (We should draft an early round OL player every season until we find five solid starters, currently we're at maybe one.... Dotson.... maybe, depending on offensive coaching staff apparently.)
    RD2 DL Gervin Dexter - Florida
    RD2 CB Cam Smith / Kelee Ringo / Eli Ricks - etc.
    RD3 ILB - Micah Baskerville - LSU
    RD4 OC John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
    RD7 OLB Lonnie Phelps - Kansas
    RD7 CB Riley Moss - Iowa

NOTE1: Many people keep bringing up taking a WR to replace Claypool. I disagree, I think that GP, Diontae, Miller, Sims, and special teamer Boykins is fine for next year especially with Calvin Austin also coming back. 6 is plenty until that situation is sorted out and we know what we have with an actual OL, Hopefully a new OC (I know they said he's coming back but I'm hoping its a WAY early April fools joke) and a year for Kenny to grow.

NOTE2: I know we need OLB depth but we need 2 ILB starters because Myles Jack isn't worth his contract and Bush is a FA.

NOTE3: In my opinion, we still need a NT too but a true nose is being used a lot less than it used to be..... is that because we don't have one or because they no long wanna run that scheme? IDK.

NOTE4: 2 CB's because A: a 7th rounder is a project and B: we lost a lot of talent in the secondary and may still lose more. (Sutton - FA / Witherspoon - Cap hit / William Jackson III - ???) we need an influx.