Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Flores stock heating up

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Brian Flores stock heating up

Cardinals request to interview Steelers senior defensive asst. Brian Flores for head coaching job....

clearly if the steelers want to keep him they are going to have to make some promises and increase duties and $$$'s
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Brian Flores stock heating up

It’s really up to Flores and how badly he wants to be a HC. The issues he had in Miami, maybe the Cardinals organization isn’t all that appealing. Broncos? Colts? What are the options?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't think the goal was to ever keep Flores on staff here.

The goal was to allow the guy to coach and earn another shot somewhere.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m not sure AZ is his best bet to get back in to head coaching. They are pretty quick to eject an HC that doesn’t get immediate results. This will be interesting.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't think the goal was to ever keep Flores on staff here.

The goal was to allow the guy to coach and earn another shot somewhere.
    Agreed.

I would love for him to stay though if he was willing.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Give him the DC position and make those dopey promises to keep him…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If anyone thought we were keeping him for any sort of long-term gig, they were fooling themselves. He got a relatively decent coaching job for a year and an audition for a return to head coach or similar positions. We hopefully learned some things from him in the meantime. That was always the deal, unless something wild happened like our own head coaching job opened up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

We all knew this was gonna happen. He's someone who's had success as a HC, didn't expect him to stick around here for long. We only got him because of the controversy around him initially. As soon as the smoke cleared he's as good as gone.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    We all knew this was gonna happen. He's someone who's had success as a HC, didn't expect him to stick around here for long. We only got him because of the controversy around him initially. As soon as the smoke cleared he's as good as gone.
    Maybe he’ll take Canada with him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Maybe he’ll take Canada with him.
    he is much smarter than that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Shame we can't trade coaches for draft picks . . . or can we?
    well you can , but its normally head coaches and I am not so sure the guy you are trying to trade will want to coach for you if you cant broker the deal and he likely wont want to go someplace that is short handed in draft picks as they like to put their own mark on the roster as much as possible .... ( Gruden was traded from raiders to Bucs )

its common practice if its a better job that the team allows them to advance for a lateral move I am not so sure

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Flores is the kind of person who'll want to create and use his own system, and wouldn't have an easy time agreeing to be a stooge (like his issues with Miami), so DC is probably out of the question. We promote from within only under the right circumstances, and Flores is sadly over-qualified for coordinator consideration, where the only path upward would be Head Coach, and I honestly wouldn't be opposed to this, but we're not doing that. (BTW, yes I just copy/pasted an earlier quote from myself and edited it.)
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It’s really up to Flores and how badly he wants to be a HC. The issues he had in Miami, maybe the Cardinals organization isn’t all that appealing. Broncos? Colts? What are the options?
    If he's smart, he steers clear of the Broncos. Russell Wilson's ridiculous contract is going to effectively hamstring that team for the next 5 years. Yet it was Hackett who took the fall for it and the idiot GM (Paton) who engineered the deal is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If he's smart, he steers clear of the Broncos. Russell Wilson's ridiculous contract is going to effectively hamstring that team for the next 5 years. Yet it was Hackett who took the fall for it and the idiot GM (Paton) who engineered the deal is still there.

hackett took the fall but the team failed to play well so IMO rightfully so , but at the same time the two are mutually exclusive and the GM failed in his own right so why he is there is beyond me

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    People say that all the time about contracts and sometimes its true and sometimes its not. If they draft well and the cap increases as predicted, it's not as big an issue as some may think. Wilson's contract is only 9.8% of the cap. Brady when he won the Super Bowl with Tampa as 12.7%. Manning was 18.8% of cap in 2009 and 14.6% with Denver. Most recently, Stafford was 10.96%.

When Wilson's cap spikes, they will be in the midst of the new TV contracts and increased salary cap and if theyve drafted well, it shouldn't be an issue. age could be but roster structure may not be. 2026 is the worst case scenario as if they let him go there (which looks to be the out area), it looks like its a $31.2M cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-b...l-wilson-9885/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

hackett took the fall but the team failed to play well so IMO rightfully so , but at the same time the two are mutually exclusive and the GM failed in his own right so why he is there is beyond me
    A lot of that team playing poorly was because Russell's play was at Trubisky-level suckitude for most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    People say that all the time about contracts and sometimes its true and sometimes its not. If they draft well and the cap increases as predicted, it's not as big an issue as some may think. Wilson's contract is only 9.8% of the cap. Brady when he won the Super Bowl with Tampa as 12.7%. Manning was 18.8% of cap in 2009 and 14.6% with Denver. Most recently, Stafford was 10.96%.

When Wilson's cap spikes, they will be in the midst of the new TV contracts and increased salary cap and if theyve drafted well, it shouldn't be an issue. age could be but roster structure may not be. 2026 is the worst case scenario as if they let him go there (which looks to be the out area), it looks like its a $31.2M cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-b...l-wilson-9885/
    It was a horrible deal and the Broncos got fleeced. Are you forgetting the draft picks they gave up? I guess a guy like Payton could look at it as a challenge, but the deck is going to be stacked against anyone who takes the Broncos HC job, at least in the near term.

After weeks of negotiations, in one of the biggest trades in NFL history, the Denver Broncos have agreed to send a significant package of players and draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for Super Bowl-winning quarterback Russell Wilson, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

The Broncos have agreed to trade quarterback Drew Lock, tight end Noah Fant, defensive lineman Shelby Harris, two first-round picks (2022 -- No. 9 overall -- and 2023), two second-round picks (2022 -- No. 40 overall -- and 2023) and a 2022 fifth-round selection to the Seahawks for Wilson and a 2022 fourth-round pick, sources said.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m not convinced that Flores leaves the Steelers this year for just any DC position. He wants to be a HC and he likely has as good of a chance hanging with the Steelers another year as being a DC for a bottom dweller.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’m not convinced that Flores leaves the Steelers this year for just any DC position. He wants to be a HC and he likely has as good of a chance hanging with the Steelers another year as being a DC for a bottom dweller.
    I’m on board with this. I would hope that he waits for an opening at a stable organization.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

He will not be with the Browns as DC.....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He will not be with the Browns as DC.....

Good for Flores…

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Good for Flores…
    I think he will take the Cardinals job(as HC)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think he will take the Cardinals job(as HC)

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Hope he doesn't coach for the Browns, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Hope he doesn't coach for the Browns, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy
    Stains hired Scwartz so at least Flores isn't going there.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Why let him go? Maybe he’s better than Austin. From KP’s interview he’s been helping him out too, maybe he’s better than Canada as well

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I see if he gets a HC job well receive 3rd round comps in the next 2 drafts. At least it's something, considering the chance of Tomlin actually developing an internal candidate for outside hore seems pretty low, well almost Nil

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I predict that Flores will become the next Niners DC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I see if he gets a HC job well receive 3rd round comps in the next 2 drafts. At least it's something, considering the chance of Tomlin actually developing an internal candidate for outside hore seems pretty low, well almost Nil

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I think the comp pick is fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think the comp pick is fake news.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ves-explained/

Broncos request to interview Brian Flores for defensive coordinator job under Sean Payton