Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAN GAS STOVES ??

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

BAN GAS STOVES ??

Are you kidding ?? Do these asshole morons in Washington really have this much time on their hands that they really can't find something important to do ? Crime, economy, schools, employment issues, illegals, terrorist, etc.etc.. Now they want to fuck with Americans way of living and cooking. These people need some good ole' ass kickin' to wake them up. They want everyone to run around not sure whether or not they are male or female, dogs or cats, straight or gay....of course depending on what day it is you may vary from one to the other. Just stupid shit. Now they want to put a spin on M & M 's as to gender !!! This country is turning idiotic real fast by the minorities rules. Sorry Washington......but I have guns that I hunt with and protect my family and property with, I have a gas stove that I cook food for my family with and I drove a gas powered truck and motorcycle that I use for transportation to get the food, medicines and other necessities and don't plan on doing away with any of those things.....so, I would highly advice you all to look for some other important task to try and accomplish in Washington because messing with my stuff and other Americans way of life could be hazardous to your health. I spent 8 yrs in the Army and to a oath to protect this country and for all to live the life of freedom that we all know, but sometimes this leadership seems to leave alot to be desired doesn't it ? God Bless !

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Re: BAN GAS STOVES ??

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Are you kidding ?? Do these asshole morons in Washington really have this much time on their hands that they really can't find something important to do ? Crime, economy, schools, employment issues, illegals, terrorist, etc.etc.. Now they want to fuck with Americans way of living and cooking. These people need some good ole' ass kickin' to wake them up. They want everyone to run around not sure whether or not they are male or female, dogs or cats, straight or gay....of course depending on what day it is you may vary from one to the other. Just stupid shit. Now they want to put a spin on M & M 's as to gender !!! This country is turning idiotic real fast by the minorities rules. Sorry Washington......but I have guns that I hunt with and protect my family and property with, I have a gas stove that I cook food for my family with and I drove a gas powered truck and motorcycle that I use for transportation to get the food, medicines and other necessities and don't plan on doing away with any of those things.....so, I would highly advice you all to look for some other important task to try and accomplish in Washington because messing with my stuff and other Americans way of life could be hazardous to your health. I spent 8 yrs in the Army and to a oath to protect this country and for all to live the life of freedom that we all know, but sometimes this leadership seems to leave alot to be desired doesn't it ? God Bless !

"I am a single issue voter and my issue: KEEP THE GREEN M&M A HOT SEXY LADY," tweeted another person

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

their absurdity is just off the hook. operation mockingbird has started. fake news media has already started parroting the bullshit. this ridicoulous shit is just to keep you distracted and give the media something to talk about instead of Pedo Petes many crimes.

RIGHT ON CUE: CNN: The Science is Showing Us Having a Gas Stove in a Home Is “Like Having a Car Idling There” (VIDEO)

AOC Claims Gas Stoves Give You Brain Damage – Trump’s Former Physician Responds With Epic Comeback

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Why stop at stoves? Better get them water heaters and furnaces too.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another case of the left hand and right hand not being in sync. I haven't ready anything of what you all are discussing but speaking to the concept in general, the problem is that US power grid simply can't handle the demand that the politicians want to put on it.

In theory, I get moving away from things like gas engines. They are ludicrously inefficient, throwing around 80 percent of all energy away as heat rather than power. I'd guess the same argument could be made to a much smaller degree about using natural gas in a plant to create energy rather than pushing it to individual homes for water heaters and hvac. But once again, the power grid simply can't handle the demand that would cause, not to mention how inflationary that would be when it comes to the electrical bills.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

because gas stoves are bad for your health but gas furnaces are ok and gas fire places are ok the sad part is the looney liberals will gobble this shovel full of shit right down. its almost like a test to see how many morons will buy into their bullshit. Fuckin Willy probably went electric stove shopping today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The actual studies are interesting. Not surprisingly inhaling combustion by products is not healthy. No surprise or anything new there. One of the studies found the biggest problem is not the fact that the stove exists but that mostly they’re either not vented or folks don’t use the vent.

I honest never thought about it. But it makes sense. Breathing in burning things isn’t good in general. I wouldn’t use my backpacking stove inside. I mean I have but it’s not recommended. This seems similar. I’m not going to rush out and change my stove. But kinda wishing it was actually vented.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

It's just a general health note. No one is taking anyone's gas stove away. The right can relax and keep BSing about how the COVID vaccine will kill you.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Ventless stove hoods are a simple install. Just remember to change or clean the filters.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Ventless stove hoods are a simple install. Just remember to change or clean the filters.
    No doubt! Already done. We cook a lot so constantly changing the filters is annoying but no big deal. Even before whatever this latest dust up is, Ove wished it vented outside. Just more effective. But the pain in the arse to cut through the exterior brick and interior plaster is simply not worth it!

one day I’ll have a more modern house and won’t be chasing problems that no one 70 years ago anticipated.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do when they come for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The actual studies are interesting. Not surprisingly inhaling combustion by products is not healthy. No surprise or anything new there. One of the studies found the biggest problem is not the fact that the stove exists but that mostly they’re either not vented or folks don’t use the vent.

I honest never thought about it. But it makes sense. Breathing in burning things isn’t good in general. I wouldn’t use my backpacking stove inside. I mean I have but it’s not recommended. This seems similar. I’m not going to rush out and change my stove. But kinda wishing it was actually vented.
    so where's the study ? have they compared the life spans and medical history of people who use gas vs electric ? not that i would believe it anyway. im sure they have already thrown huge grants a doctors and scientist to corroborate their nonsense.
    scientist agree 100% of the time with the people funding them.

Hilarious. The right is pretending to get all bent out of shape over nothing just to attack the left. No one's taking anyones stove. 90% of the left doesn't give a crap who cooks on what. But...............the right will make a dig deal out of this.

i'll just put this right here. coming to a shithole liberal state soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    so where's the study ? have they compared the life spans and medical history of people who use gas vs electric ? not that i would believe it anyway. im sure they have already thrown huge grants a doctors and scientist to corroborate their nonsense.
    scientist agree 100% of the time with the people funding them.
    You have the internet, right? So just type "gas stove study" into Google and find it yourself. Here, if you're feeling lazy: https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/20/1/75

Why compare life spans? That isn't the issue at hand. The main study that came out recently linked gas stove usage to increased risk of asthma diagnosis during childhood. Again...this is not earth shattering science here. We have long known that breathing stuff in during childhood is less than ideal.

Honestly, I suspect that follow-ups to this will punch more than a few holes in this first study. They seem to link things to the gas stove combustion products but I am not clear on how they eliminated other co-causes and the authors discuss that themselves in the paper.

What gets lost in all of the media reporting about this because everyone sucks at reading is that this small and very short study was implemented solely to contribute to a special issue/session on the links between childhood asthma and air pollutants. So the entire goal of publication was to collect a bunch of studies that specifically looked at how childhood asthma was or was not impacted by common sources of crap that we all breath in each day. Again...not a big deal.

Really what happened here is a bunch of people on all sides ran their mouths before they even attempted to read and understand the information being produced. Just use logic, reason, and evidence instead of Twitter and Reddit and this all chills out.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Gas stoves equal bad because breathing in burning gases are bad.

Dems = Let's legalize POT!

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Gas stoves equal bad because breathing in burning gases are bad.

Dems = Let's legalize POT!
    A) You don't have to smoke to get high on marijuana

B) Not everyone has asthma

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From what I've read,
    • The Consumer Product Safety commissioner floated the idea.
    • It'd only ban new stoves not existing stoves.
    • The concern is childhood asthma.
    • There are questions about the study behind it because there were other issues like location to landfills/trash centers and poor ventilation among others that were not properly assessed.
    • Biden has ruled it out and the CPS commissioner has backtracked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Why compare life spans?.
    my grandparents cooked with gas and heated with coal. they both lived to be well into their 80"s past the average american life span. they also drove cars without a catalytic convert. remember that nasty leaded gas ? both died of heart failure and was as healthy as you can expect someone of that age to be. they also consumed beer on a pretty regular basis.

Ok. Cool. So did mine. They also smoked unfiltered cigarettes for decades. What’s your point?

The study is solely about childhood asthma. Anyone talking about age at death is making something up to either stoke outrage or get their mug on TV.

Reading. It’s really a strong cure all for most of what you seem upset about.

The actual study is talking about green beans and you’re in here ranting about chili recipes. Calm down. Life’s short. Go find an actual quality Mexican joint and order something with the word “Mole” in it.

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    Hilarious. The right is pretending to get all bent out of shape over nothing just to attack the left. No one's taking anyones stove. 90% of the left doesn't give a crap who cooks on what. But...............the right will make a dig deal out of this.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    From what I've read,
    • The Consumer Product Safety commissioner floated the idea.
    • It'd only ban new stoves not existing stoves.
    • The concern is childhood asthma.
    • There are questions about the study behind it because there were other issues like location to landfills/trash centers and poor ventilation among others that were not properly assessed.
    • Biden has ruled it out and the CPS commissioner has backtracked.
    I also read the authors of the paper were left wing nutjobs that belonged to net-zero groups.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I also read the authors of the paper were left wing nutjobs that belonged to net-zero groups.
    Honestly, who cares. That's called poisoning the well. It does matter who it was or the connections. If the research itself is sound it doesn't matter who did the research. If the research is not sound it doesn't matter who did the research. The only thing that might help knowing the background of the researcher is that it can guide a person's search for bias in the research. But if the bias is not found in the research itself, then who did it does not matter. Absolutes still exist.

Follow the the money. Who benefits the most from something like this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Honestly, who cares. That's called poisoning the well. It does matter who it was or the connections. If the research itself is sound it doesn't matter who did the research. If the research is not sound it doesn't matter who did the research. The only thing that might help knowing the background of the researcher is that it can guide a person's search for bias in the research. But if the bias is not found in the research itself, then who did it does not matter. Absolutes still exist.
    Yes but is the research sound?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The fact that such a ridiculous idea would even get a public airing, without being immediately dismissed with loud ridicule from all sides, is a terrible sign.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Obviously this is reasonable:

Gas Stoves Are Tied to Health Concerns. Here’s How to Lower Your Risk.

Emissions from gas stoves have been connected to an increased risk for childhood asthma, among other things. You can mitigate the effects with a few simple steps.

Mounting evidence of the potential health risks of gas stoves, including a link to childhood asthma, ignited a debate in Washington this week, after a commissioner of the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission suggested that his agency might move to regulate these kitchen appliances.Responding to the firestorm, Alexander Hoehn-Saric, the agency’s chairman, issued a statement on Wednesday saying, “Research indicates that emissions from gas stoves can be hazardous, and the C.P.S.C. is looking for ways to reduce related indoor air quality hazards. But to be clear, I am not looking to ban gas stoves and the C.P.S.C. has no proceeding to do so.”

“No one should freak out about this news,” said Dr. Aaron Bernstein, the interim director of the Center for Climate, Health and the Global Environment at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who has studied gas stoves and pollutants. But Dr. Bernstein and other researchers say that it’s important to understand, and mitigate, the dangers of gas stoves, which are used in about 40 million homes nationwide.

Potential health hazards of gas stoves

For the last fifty years or so, researchers have demonstrated that exposure to gas stoves can be harmful to humans, said Brady Seals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/11/w...lth-risks.html

Depends on which aspect you want to address.

Do gas stoves produce harmful air pollutants during their use? Yes. Not a new or controversial idea.
    Is there a linkage between exposure to pollutants such as those produced by a gas stove and an increased incidence of childhood asthma? Again, yes.

Does anything need to be done beyond venting and other basic safety protocols? Likely no.
    Are too many current residences not properly vented and are too many consumers not using the vents they do have? Absolutely.

Betond this…more work needs done.