Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    and the Ratbirds may be forced to pay it .....

I mean who else do they have with the contract situation they have with Lamar
    There are a lot of guys out there who can lose almost every game by making your offense average about 13 points while throwing for 130 yards and half a touchdown per contest.

Oh wait, but he's "mobile" even though he gets almost no yards rushing either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    According to a report,Rudolph has no intention to sign with the steelers....
    Best news that I have heard in a long time here.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Trubisky is under contract, so I can see him being the backup next season.

But I can also see the Steelers picking a QB on Day 3 and one with some mobility and upside, like Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA, Clayton Tune from Houston or Malik Cunningham from Louisville. Tomlin has talked about having a QB with mobility and Pickett is that, so it seems logical that any later round selection as a future backup would have similar traits.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me, it is ideally Pickett, A NOT MT veteran. Take his salary cap $$$ and sign someone who has actually had some success in the NFL. Someone who can fill that Charlie Batch role. And then draft/UDFA some developmental prospect to take like 3 snaps a week in practice as the third string guy.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Trubisky is under contract, so I can see him being the backup next season.

But I can also see the Steelers picking a QB on Day 3 and one with some mobility and upside, like Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA, Clayton Tune from Houston or Malik Cunningham from Louisville. Tomlin has talked about having a QB with mobility and Pickett is that, so it seems logical that any later round selection as a future backup would have similar traits.
    I would like to see Holton Ahlers get a UDFA invite. I only saw him play a few times but I was impressed with what I saw.
    Next season’s depth chart with KP, MT, and Ahlers as the 3rd string/scout team guy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me, it is ideally Pickett, A NOT MT veteran.
    It's really unclear to me what this first sentence means. You want the backup to be Pickett? And the rest of it I can’t make sense of.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s lots of top shelf veteran backups available for half the price as Trubisky, who are also better than MT.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's really unclear to me what this first sentence means. You want the backup to be Pickett? And the rest of it I can’t make sense of.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s lots of top shelf veteran backups available for half the price as Trubisky, who are also better than MT.
    Pickett us the starter.
    Cut MT because he's awful and can't help either the team or KP get better.
    Take the $8 million that you save cutting Trubisky and sign some super smart veteran QB that can be a mentor and coach like figure for KP. Like Batch was for Ben R.
    Bring in a toolsy and raw youngster to be the 3 and hope he can develop into a competent backup. And that tye smart but not effecrive vet that's officially the backup doesn't have to play much.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Until something goes sideways KP is the starter. Most likely MT will be his backup next season, as has been said already. I doubt the Steelers will bring in another FA this year, just my opinion. I do think a late draft pick will be used on a project QB with some type of promise/upside. It’s not like Ben ever had some savior for a backup.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Pickett us the starter.
    Take the $8 million that you save cutting Trubisky and sign some super smart veteran QB that can be a mentor and coach like figure for KP. Like Batch was for Ben R.
    Bring in a toolsy and raw youngster to be the 3 and hope he can develop into a competent backup. And that tye smart but not effecrive vet that's officially the backup doesn't have to play much.
    Seems like a no brainer. Must mean there’s no way it’ll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Seems like a no brainer. Must mean there’s no way it’ll happen.
    Yeah. I suspect it won't either. Mopey Mitch should be a joy to have around.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Is there any indication that Trubisky even wants to stay?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pickett us the starter.
    I’d be willing to bet almost anything that Josh Donna winds up back on the roster. Where they should cut Trubisky, I can’t see Tomlin going through that process…we’ve been here long enough to know he keeps dead weight and untalented players at that position for years…whether it be on purpose or just because he’s lazy. The list is long…Jones, Rudolph, Dobbs, Trubisky, Hodges…it’s a long list of garbage and we’ll below average talent…yet Tomlin never saw the need to address it.

Trubisky winds up staying and they sign Dobbs (out of comfort) to be the third guy…and if Pickett fails…you have the typical pile of shit that the Steelers accumulate at position groups…see ILB…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d be willing to bet almost anything that Josh Donna winds up back on the roster. Where they should cut Trubisky, I can’t see Tomlin going through that process…we’ve been here long enough to know he keeps dead weight and untalented players at that position for years…whether it be on purpose or just because he’s lazy. The list is long…Jones, Rudolph, Dobbs, Trubisky, Hodges…it’s a long list of garbage and we’ll below average talent…yet Tomlin never saw the need to address it.

Trubisky winds up staying and they sign Dobbs (out of comfort) to be the third guy…and if Pickett fails…you have the typical pile of shit that the Steelers accumulate at position groups…see ILB…
    Yep. I would not be surprised if Dobbs is brought back as a backup.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Whoops…Josh Dobbs…not Josh Donna…guess I’d lose that bet…lol

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yep. I would not be surprised if Dobbs is brought back as a backup.
    I sure hope not. He has been in the NFL for 6 seasons and shown that he is not a productive NFL QB and not even a backup that can get you a win if needed. He is really a waste of a roster space, other than playing the scout team QB and having no upside as an actual player.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I sure hope not. He has been in the NFL for 6 seasons and shown that he is not a productive NFL QB and not even a backup that can get you a win if needed. He is really a waste of a roster space, other than playing the scout team QB and having no upside as an actual player.
    Trashbisky is not a backup that can win games and more expensive than Dobbs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Rudolph ... Dobbs ... Trubisky ... what we have in that group is a bunch of guys who we know aren't very good. I don't want any of them. Why would you want a guy you already know is no good?

B-b-but we already know him and he's been in our offense!

So what? You already know he SUCKS, and even worse, he sucks in your specific offense with your specific players. That just makes you extra stupid for bringing him back, not smarter.

Enough of this devil-you-know crap. You might as well just bring in three or four brand-new guys you haven't seen before, who probably suck but might not. You're no worse off, and once in a while you get lucky. Any bum can throw for 110 yards and lose every game. Don't intentionally choose that bum.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Rudolph ... Dobbs ... Trubisky ... what we have in that group is a bunch of guys who we know aren't very good. I don't want any of them. Why would you want a guy you already know is no good?

B-b-but we already know him and he's been in our offense!

So what? You already know he SUCKS, and even worse, he sucks in your specific offense with your specific players. That just makes you extra stupid for bringing him back, not smarter.

Enough of this devil-you-know crap. You might as well just bring in three or four brand-new guys you haven't seen before, who probably suck but might not. You're no worse off, and once in a while you get lucky. Any bum can throw for 110 yards and lose every game. Don't intentionally choose that bum.
    Who do you want as backup?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...arterback/all/

I don't think like Jimmy G,Brissett is realist so the option will be very limited

I don't think like Jimmy G,Brissett is realist so the option will be very limited
    There are at least 5 or 6 guys on that list who (might) turn out to suck less than Trubisky or Rudolph, maybe more than that, the bar is not high ... also, I'd rather draft one anyway as the primary plan.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Mike White, Gabbert, Daniels, Mullins over what the Steelers have had the last 7 years…

The biggest value a backup QB can have is to mentor KP. Showing him how to prepare and work as a professional. Whoever that is that’s who I want signed.

Cooper Rush off that list. His contract was only around $2M if I read that right. Offer $5M to backup and save $3M if he agrees. I seriously think it will be MT as the backup next season though.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Ryan or Keenum. What is KP going to learn from Mitch? “When in doubt - RUN! or throw it at the feet of receiver nearest to the sideline?”

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Cooper Rush off that list. His contract was only around $2M if I read that right. Offer $5M to backup and save $3M if he agrees. I seriously think it will be MT as the backup next season though.
    Of course it will. Tomlin likes to sit in comfort and Trubisky is the lazy, comfortable way to build the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Of course it will. Tomlin likes to sit in comfort and Trubisky is the lazy, comfortable way to build the roster.
    It’s also not chasing the new shiny thing. There is something to be said for sticking with a known over an unknown as well. Everybody is going to differ on philosophy at times. I do trust the process of the Steelers, so even though I don’t want to go into next season with MT and/or Canada, here we are and here I will be.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The steelers don't deserve our trust right now....

I think we all know that MT will be the 2023 back-up QB for the Steelers.

I think that most of us disagree with why they are doing that. Steelers seem to think MT gives them the best chance to "Win" should KP not be able to play. Many do not see it that way.

I am not sure that MT gives the team a better or worse shot at winning games as the back-up than anyone else I can think of.

I am sure, based on nothing specific, that MT is not a highly capable mentor. What is he going to teach KP about reading a defense? What is he going to teach him about getting his body ready to play? What is he going to help him learn about preparing each week? Based on MT's track record in the NFL -- diddly poo.

Reading interviews with players over the years they very often attribute "leaps" in on the field production to this or that guy mentoring them and teaching them how to be a better professional football player. And while players will laud coaching, they seem to frequently indicate this peer to peer teaching is incredibly important.

So...again...I really want the Steelers to go get KP a veteran teacher. I have no idea who that is. Maybe it is Josh Dobbs. Maybe it is some 35+ noodle armed gimpy kneed vet playing out the string. But whoever it is...get that guy in the building because molding KP into a a highly successful NFL QB is more important that one or two narrow wins in 2023.

It’s also not chasing the new shiny thing. There is something to be said for sticking with a known over an unknown as well. Everybody is going to differ on philosophy at times. I do trust the process of the Steelers, so even though I don’t want to go into next season with MT and/or Canada, here we are and here I will be.
    You are not "chasing shiny things" when what you have is a piece of shit. Here are two guys with bottom-of-the-league performance, who directly cost us wins last season, and yet - here we are.

Steelers fans have this thing where they value the process over the substance, even when the process clearly is not working with a particular individual. They say "The Browns have high turnover, so getting rid of anyone is a knee-jerk reaction and you want to be like the Browns! GOD! Steelers fans are so spoiled!" But no, that's not how it works. There is nothing wise or prescient about sticking with guys who are failing spectacularly.

I for one have lost a massive amount of respect for the Steelers process. There is a time and a place for patience and continuity, but this is ridiculous.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The steelers don't deserve our trust right now....
    I completely disagree with that.

When ‘we’ start talking on here about what the Steelers should do, it always starts from a place of ignorance. There is no way a single poster on this forum knows what the Steelers coaches and brass know. You don’t know better than they do, I don’t know better than they do.

“Hey look at all the high profile FAs the Eagles signed and now they are in the SuperBowl!!!”. Ok but….what if the 49ers had a QB in the NFCCG? They still might be in the SB, but also maybe not. Zero moves equal guaranteed success. None of them do. How was Russell Wilson to Denver perceived initially? How about now?

Just because the Steelers don’t heed our every wish doesn’t equate to they don’t know what they’re doing and can’t be trusted. I would also like to move on from MT and Canada. But both are only here for 1 more season anyway if they are kept. Let’s get to FA season, the draft, let’s see how TC looks. It’s all connected and part of a process. Trust the Steelers process.

I completely disagree with that.

When ‘we’ start talking on here about what the Steelers should do, it always starts from a place of ignorance. There is no way a single poster on this forum knows what the Steelers coaches and brass know. You don’t know better than they do, I don’t know better than they do.
    There are many, many examples of times when I and the other mere fans have known better than the Steelers coaches and front office. Some of them have been over things so blatantly obvious you wonder how anyone could have not seen them coming. This is one of those times.
    See you Space Cowboy ...