Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: Backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But it’s not…it’s just a couple bloggers looking at a simple stat line (sometimes) and making some sort of opinion on it. I’d be willing to guess that they still think Trubisky is a starter. Lol.

“Thompson went 1–1, completing 57.1% of his attempts and throwing for 534 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.”

Trubisky went 2-3, completing 65% of his attempts and throwing for 1252 yards, 4 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

“Zappe also came off the bench to give the Patriots a quick boost before they got crushed by the Bears on Monday Night Football.”

I don’t recall any quick boosts by Trubisky…lol.

“His (Keenum) high point came with the Vikings in 2017, when he took over for the injured Sam Bradford and led Minnesota to the NFC title game before losing to the Eagles.”

Not even “current stats” for Keenum.

To use this article as the “measuring stick” is just a desperate, desperate move…grasping for anything to make a case.
    the article is just a demonstration of what people in the business think of trubisky's QB skillset. Let Trubisky play and prove them right - that's what he keeps doing. I think your constant defense of him is starting to look a little silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    As I previously mentioned, SI is basically a content farm now. They were acquired multiple times since the early 2000's and basically fired anyone over 25. They are a "brand" and most of their content is just lists of the "X Best Y in Z sport". This generates clicks (unique views) and pumps up the # of unique visitors per day allowing their ownership group to pronounce the brand as healthy. I suspect you or I could get hired by SI if he wanted to later this week.

The in depth reporting and detailed insider driven analysis that most of us grew up with from SI is dead and buried.

An actual "ranking" would pick a set of stats or readily available metrics for evaluation and then use that to evaluate the QB rooms around the league. Instead. the "MMQB Staff" chose to use random opinions for each of the 16 QBs they chose that aren't even the same from author to author.

In their opinion MT is at best #17. Okay. So? In my opinion, and I HATE this thread for making me stick up for MT, he is top 12-ish at least as backups go. I mean this isn't exactly a list of really good QBs: https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB
    you know that's been done before; on target accuracy rate.

I don't see anything wrong with talking intangibles also. Like i said, when you use stats as your metric, you have to be careful cause they can be misleading - such as W-L records or TD-Int ratio. Maybe by that metric MR is top 12-ish also.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

MT has accepted to be the backup.If it was not the case he would not accept this extension....

https://triblive.com/sports/signing-...itch-trubisky/

You can be a poor starter but a very good backup.Charlie Batch was a exemple

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    the article is just a demonstration of what people in the business think of trubisky's QB skillset. Let Trubisky play and prove them right - that's what he keeps doing. I think your constant defense of him is starting to look a little silly.

- - - Updated - - -

you know that's been done before; on target accuracy rate.

I don't see anything wrong with talking intangibles also. Like i said, when you use stats as your metric, you have to be careful cause they can be misleading - such as W-L records or TD-Int ratio. Maybe by that metric MR is top 12-ish also.
    Every post you post negatively about MT looks silly. Along with your “sources”. Lol. Since when are bloggers “in the business”? I think I take a couple of guys opinions on SiriusXM that have played the game and been general managers in the game over a couple bloggers opinions.

But you stick to your bloggers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Okay. Let’s be clear. $8 is NOT starter money. This isn’t 1998. Everything else I agree with.
    Ironically if this were NFL 1998 Trubisky and Rudolph would be starters.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ironically if this were NFL 1998 Trubisky and Rudolph would be starters.
    Maybe for the Steelers!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I think I take a couple of guys opinions on SiriusXM that have played the game and been general managers in the game over a couple bloggers opinions.

But you stick to your bloggers!
    Who are these players and general managers? Got a link? Maybe there are some things i'm not seeing in MT's game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Backup QB

Who are these players and general managers? Got a link? Maybe there are some things i'm not seeing in MT's game.
    Pat Kirwan, Jim Miller, Solomon Wilcots, Rick Spielman to name a few who have commented positively on MT being a good back up and endorsed the extension the Steelers gave him.

Also Matt Ryan isn’t taking a back up QB job. He’s taking a cake job now and if a prime QB spot opens and the call comes in, he will consider it. He’s not closing any doors but he’s also not looking for a back up job.
    Last edited by 86WARD; 05-24-2023 at 09:56 AM.

Pat Kirwan, Jim Miller, Solomon Wilcots, Rick Spielman to name a few who have commented positively on MT being a good back up and endorsed the extension the Steelers gave him.

Also Matt Ryan isn’t taking a back up QB job. He’s taking a cake job now and if a prime QB spot opens and the call comes in, he will consider it. He’s not closing any doors but he’s also not looking for a back up job.
    did these guys discuss why they think MT is a good backup or did they just endorse the extension? Just saying the extension is a good move and MT is a good backup is not really saying anything - no matter who it comes from.

I said a QB like Ryan would be an ideal backup for KP, not saying Ryan specifically is a possibility.

did these guys discuss why they think MT is a good backup or did they just endorse the extension? Just saying the extension is a good move and MT is a good backup is not really saying anything - no matter who it comes from.

I said a QB like Ryan would be an ideal backup for KP, not saying Ryan specifically is a possibility.
    What do you think? Lol. They just said “Great move. Onto Aaron Rodgers.”

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Matt Ryan is washed....He was a fumble machine like crazy last year

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Matt Ryan is washed....He was a fumble machine like crazy last year
    No he wants a Matt Ryan type. So a starter that is one of the most consistent starters in NFL history as a back up to replace Trubisky…or Skylar Thompson…

No he wants a Matt Ryan type. So a starter that is one of the most consistent starters in NFL history as a back up to replace Trubisky…or Skylar Thompson…

A former starter who's had success who's now at the end of their career. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I see.

A young QB with upside would be fine. Better than a first round bust who has a horrible on target accuracy rate and can't read a defense to save his life.

Backup QB

A former starter who's had success who's now at the end of their career. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I see.

A young QB with upside would be fine. Better than a first round bust who has a horrible on target accuracy rate and can't read a defense to save his life.
    Only he’s not interested in being a back up QB or possibly playing at all. Lol. Trubisky is a former starter who had success…what else? Why not just say a Montana-type. Or what about Tom Brady…he’s a free agent…

A young guy is definitely what you want when a young guy comes off the field with questions. Too bad they missed out on Sean Clifford…he would’ve been awesome to go to for advice.

It’s funny that you have those “stipulations” yet the list you continually refer to, Trubisky has better stats then some of them.

He’s also the preferred choice of Pickett which I guess ranks when you’re trying to develop a young guy. Not really out of the ordinary for Pittsburgh.

So let’s see…there’s you who really doesn’t know what he wants as a back up QB….just not Trubisky (plus a couple of bloggers)or there’s a GM, HC, Young QB, a bunch of ex-GMs and ex-players who all prefer it. Tough decision there…

Only he’s not interested in being a back up QB or possibly playing at all. Lol. Trubisky is a former starter who had success…what else? Why not just say a Montana-type. Or what about Tom Brady…he’s a free agent…

A young guy is definitely what you want when a young guy comes off the field with questions. Too bad they missed out on Sean Clifford…he would’ve been awesome to go to for advice.

It’s funny that you have those “stipulations” yet the list you continually refer to, Trubisky has better stats then some of them.

He’s also the preferred choice of Pickett which I guess ranks when you’re trying to develop a young guy. Not really out of the ordinary for Pittsburgh.

So let’s see…there’s you who really doesn’t know what he wants as a back up QB….just not Trubisky (plus a couple of bloggers)or there’s a GM, HC, Young QB, a bunch of ex-GMs and ex-players who all prefer it. Tough decision there…
    defenders of Trubisky always point to the stats he had in Chicago. But they avoid taking about the on target rate or why he was replaced in Chicago by Dalton. They also fail to mention his stats as a starter here, or his performances off the bench last season. Hopefully he doesn’t see any meaningful action this season. I don’t want to be proved right. If he has to come off the bench and plays decently I’ll be shocked. He’s been pretty bad so far in Pittsburgh…and I’m sure Bears fans are not surprised one bit

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

defenders of Trubisky always point to the stats he had in Chicago. But they avoid taking about the on target rate or why he was replaced in Chicago by Dalton. They also fail to mention his stats as a starter here, or his performances off the bench last season. Hopefully he doesn’t see any meaningful action this season. I don’t want to be proved right. If he has to come off the bench and plays decently I’ll be shocked. He’s been pretty bad so far in Pittsburgh…and I’m sure Bears fans are not surprised one bit
    I understand the argument that Mitch might be too expensive as a backup for what he brings to the table as like, a general take on the situation. But in practical terms, who do want as a backup? I don’t mean a type. If you’re the GM, I assume you cut Trubisky or (optimistic scenario) trade him for a sixth rounder in exchange for a seventh rounder. Now who do you acquire and what are you willing to give up for that acquisition?

Or do you just go with Rudolph as #2 and some no name as #3? And if this is the case then you think the team is better as a result, yes?

I’m not saying I’m a big fan of Mitch either, but given the situation we understandably got ourselves into with his contract last year, I’m fine with keeping him as a backup. We could probably do worse, all things considered. A year in the system, with an improved line and hopefully improved defense, maybe he can even win a game or two if he’s called upon to do so.

^ I would’ve released MT and signed Keenum for 3 million per, you come out ahead and have a more steady backup with better experience resume to share with KP. Have MR back as well as the third QB

that being said, I would’ve never signed MT in the first place. I would’ve signed Brissett last year for the same salary, who’s an overall better QB than MT

Not really a defender of Trubisky but more that he's a fine QB to have as a backup on the roster. You make it sound like it's the end of the world that he's on the Steelers roster. It's not. He's fine for a backup and one of the better back ups in the league. His stats as a QB "here" are better than some of the "stats" your blogger friends posted in the one "article" you've found...and he wasn't "replaced" by Dalton. Dalton was a replacement for the failed Russell Wilson trade...which was going to replace Trubisky and how'd he make out in Chicago? Worse stats in Chicago then Trubisky had in Pittsburgh? lol

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The SI genius division has “reconsidered” and now has Mitch at 15.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/26/ra...00024be&pid=15

Almost like their list article is all nonsense….

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The SI genius division has “reconsidered” and now has Mitch at 15.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/26/ra...00024be&pid=15

Almost like their list article is all nonsense….

Not really a defender of Trubisky but more that he's a fine QB to have as a backup on the roster. You make it sound like it's the end of the world that he's on the Steelers roster. It's not. He's fine for a backup and one of the better back ups in the league. His stats as a QB "here" are better than some of the "stats" your blogger friends posted in the one "article" you've found...and he wasn't "replaced" by Dalton. Dalton was a replacement for the failed Russell Wilson trade...which was going to replace Trubisky and how'd he make out in Chicago? Worse stats in Chicago thanTrubisky had in Pittsburgh? lol

We’ll see won’t we? or rather hopefully not. Btw, MR’s stats are on par or in some categories better than Trubisky’s. So let’s just watch how they perform and discuss right after the games.

Primary backup QB position up for grabs, I would say MR has the edge over MT at this point. Better overall passer, specially the deep ball.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Primary backup QB position up for grabs, I would say MR has the edge over MT at this point. Better overall passer, specially the deep ball.
    I just rewatched the MR pass to Austin. It was nice, but the truth is Austin was so damn fast he had to slow down a bit to catch that ball, which was fine because even slowing down he was so far past the defender that there was zero chance of the defender touching him or the ball.

The Mitch pick was also thrown so the receiver had to slow down a bit. The difference was the defender was right there and there was no room for error.

I’m in no way defending Mitch or his play tonight. And Rudolph looked a little better (against worse defenders). But Rudolph looks so stiff with no wiggle that I don’t really know if I want him as QB2. There were situations that if this had been the regular season Mitch might have taken off running and made positive yardage rather than forcing a throw.

Again, I’m not a Trubisky fan but I think he might fit better in this offense right now with his mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I just rewatched the MR pass to Austin. It was nice, but the truth is Austin was so damn fast he had to slow down a bit to catch that ball, which was fine because even slowing down he was so far past the defender that there was zero chance of the defender touching him or the ball.

The Mitch pick was also thrown so the receiver had to slow down a bit. The difference was the defender was right there and there was no room for error.

I’m in no way defending Mitch or his play tonight. And Rudolph looked a little better (against worse defenders). But Rudolph looks so stiff with no wiggle that I don’t really know if I want him as QB2. There were situations that if this had been the regular season Mitch might have taken off running and made positive yardage rather than forcing a throw.

Again, I’m not a Trubisky fan but I think he might fit better in this offense right now with his mobility.
    the pass to Austin was great, he caught it in stride I thought, I didn’t see any slow down at all, maybe because he didn’t have to outstretch his arms it might’ve appeared he slowed down but I don’t think he did. On the Mitch pass the receiver was a step or two ahead of the defender but Mitch floated the pass and it got picked off. That was an obvious underthrow. Better overall performance by MR. You could say he played against more backups but Mitch was playing against alot too, and who was playing behind the weaker line? I think that was MR. We’ll see who the Steelers prefer, mitch has better mobility, but MR can run for first down too as we saw today. I guess your right in that it depends on who fits the system better but it should also depend on who gives you a better chance to win if KP goes down, right now MR looks more like that guy.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

ummm hello . the pick Mitch tossed when trying to throw to Cody white hit white on an out stretched right hand and bounces back to the defender the defender had zero chance at that ball until Cody white flubbs the opportunity to make a play ...

No this is not me defending Mitch this is just me telling it how it was ....

I can NOT believe you guys didnt see this

- - - Updated - - -

here watch it again , this is 100% on Cody white https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/s...sion-thread%2F
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

ummm hello . the pick Mitch tossed when trying to throw to Cody white hit white on an out stretched right hand and bounces back to the defender the defender had zero chance at that ball until Cody white flubbs the opportunity to make a play ...

No this is not me defending Mitch this is just me telling it how it was ....

I can NOT believe you guys didnt see this

- - - Updated - - -

here watch it again , this is 100% on Cody white https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/s...sion-thread%2F

As a quarterback in situations like that, you want to take that shot when there is single coverage on a player. The end result was an INT, but there was nothing wrong with the play or the throw. It is very difficult to throw perfect passes 50 yards down the field. It is on the WR to either catch it, or make sure the defender doesn't. Stuff like that happens and every INT is not on the quarterback. I'm not going to roast Trubisky on that play.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah, that’s not on MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk