Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes we can save a lot of money by cutting Mitch but we can have way worst backup that Mitch.....Do you remember Michael Vick in 2015?
    I’ll take Vick.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If it doesn't make football sense its probably because the decision is not football related but more financial or political, IMO

In this day and age with replay and analysis available to everyone, fans are more informed and educated on the actual play on the field than ever before. If it doesn't make sense to us in terms of football we're probably right or at least on to something. Of course the politics and financial stuff is harder to discern. I find it curious that Rooney was the one who made the statement on MT, i don't recall Tomlin making a statement on MT or Canada for that matter. Wouldn't the Coach or GM make statements or personnel?

Keeping Mitch, who's proved unreliable as a backup (at 8 million) doesn't make sense. And it doesn't make sense for Mitch to want to stay either for that matter after the comments he's made. We'll see how this plays out.

Of course there's the Canada factor at play with those QB roll outs of his, MT is certainly good at rolling out

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes we can save a lot of money by cutting Mitch but we can have way worst backup that Mitch.....Do you remember Michael Vick in 2015?
    Yikes…no thanks. I think I’d stick with Mitch. At least he’s able to complete a couple passes. Vick made AB look below average…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’ll take Vick.
    Please,Vick was so bad that he make peak AB look garbage....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Please,Vick was so bad that he make peak AB look garbage....
    Vick > Trubisky

Vick > Trubisky
    Why?

Why?
    He went 2-1 with an 80 passer rating and only one INT.

He went 2-1 with an 80 passer rating and only one INT.
    He was only one who could shutdown Antonio Brown in his peak!

He was only one who could shutdown Antonio Brown in his peak!
    So it's all about AB and not wins?

So it's all about AB and not wins?
    The steelers won 2 games despite Vick,not because of Vick but I know you are just trolling on this!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yikes…no thanks. I think I’d stick with Mitch. At least he’s able to complete a couple passes. Vick made AB look below average…

I agree. Vick could barely complete a pass when he was with the Steelers.

I know everyone is down on Trubisky, but he's far better than some other backups they have had here. I don't love the $8 mil salary either, but he is under contract, the salary cap is going up, and quarterbacks aren't cheap.

I think most of would be okay with Trubisky for $3 million, but not $8.

I agree

- - - Updated - - -

I agree

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think currently Mitch is only guaranteed $2.6M in 2023. If the Steelers convert more of this contract to signing bonus(2.6 to 5.6) and extend him 1 season, you can get Mitch as backup for $3M/year. Plus Mitch gets an extra $1M just to do it.

Trading Mitch leaves us with only KP as the only QB under contract. The trade would likely need to include a QB. Who would make that trade and how would we get better with that trade?

Waiving Mitch just to save $8M still leaves us with only 1 QB on the roster. Now we have to spend a draft pick on a QB. And leaves us with little to no leverage in FA deals.

I do not do this for a living so my guesses could be way off. This is just where my mind is on the MT situation. Mitch may cost too much for a backup but that deal was struck before we had drafted KP. Also, Mitch is a better QB than all of our backup QBs in recent history, Rudolph, Duck, Haskins, Jones, and Vick. Might be a ride it out 1 more year situation.

Seeing how no action is their default action, I expect Mitch back.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If the Steelers were to pay MT his $2.6M and let him walk this offseason, who do you bring in, FA vet-wise? There are a few names on the list that understand their role as backup and would not come in trying for the starter job. Add the 2.6 to whatever they sign for and that's what we would be paying for a backup QB for 2023. Josh Dobbs has been the $1M per year guy but he's also been the 3rd QB. Looks like Chase Daniel and Chad Henne played last season for $2M and I think Henne got some play time and did well. Cooper Rush played for around $1M and he played well for the Cowboys while Dak was out. I think he will get more in 2023 though. If we pay a backup $5M what are we really saving?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quality back ups usually go for $3M range…gibe or take. It’s always been close to that number.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Hey, where is Mason Rudolph, has any team shown interest in him?

Steelers look like Trubisky and Morgan will goto camp as #2 and #3, but still likely need another camp arm.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Hey, where is Mason Rudolph, has any team shown interest in him?

Steelers look like Trubisky and Morgan will goto camp as #2 and #3, but still likely need another camp arm.
    Both him and his Oklahoma St teammate James Washington are free agents.

Have not seen anybody interested in either one.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Both him and his Oklahoma St teammate James Washington are free agents.

Have not seen anybody interested in either one.

Dallas had Washington for a short period but injuries pretty much did him in…TY Hilton took his spot last season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hunter Johnson
    Tanner Morgan
    Bryce Perkins

Could the #3 QB come from this group?

Never heard of any of them.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Listening to Khan on the radio this week, he showed no interest whatsoever in signing a veteran back-up. Not surprisingly, he mentioned Mitch as the veteran, QB sage, for Kenny. Unless Mitch decides to accept his fate as a career back-up, maybe we look for another veteran player next season? Not so much as a mentor, but as a fill in in Kenny's absence.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Listening to Khan on the radio this week, he showed no interest whatsoever in signing a veteran back-up. Not surprisingly, he mentioned Mitch as the veteran, QB sage, for Kenny. Unless Mitch decides to accept his fate as a career back-up, maybe we look for another veteran player next season? Not so much as a mentor, but as a fill in in Kenny's absence.

Just keep Kenny and Mitch. There’s no need for a third guy. You can sign someone if one of the other two get injured. There’s your extra roster spot for whatever you were looking to carry too many of…

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Just keep Kenny and Mitch. There’s no need for a third guy. You can sign someone if one of the other two get injured. There’s your extra roster spot for whatever you were looking to carry too many of…
    Agreed. If you have to, because of injuries, you can always make a trade down the road for someone with a little experience in with your organization:

And I think it's going to be a long long time
    'til touchdown brings me round again to find
    I'm not the man they think I am at home
    Oh, no, no, no I'm a rocket man .......

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I’m surprised Trubisky doesn’t feel like he got a raw deal here. I think if he’d made it clear there’ll be a 0% chance he will settle into a longterm backup role, there’d have been an attempt to bring Rudolph back.

And maybe that all happened behind closed doors. How could we know?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I’m surprised Trubisky doesn’t feel like he got a raw deal here. I think if he’d made it clear there’ll be a 0% chance he will settle into a longterm backup role, there’d have been an attempt to bring Rudolph back.

And maybe that all happened behind closed doors. How could we know?
    Trubisky is the ONLY one who doesn’t understand the NFL is done with him as a starter.

It’s like when a player is the last to realize they should retire.

Last season was his final chance to demonstrate he’s anything salvageable and he imploded.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I could see that either way. There have likely been internal discussions with him that stayed internal. I could see him feeling some kind of way about how the beginning of the season was but nevertheless coming to grips with what his place is. But let’s say he’s accepted his fate: he’s not really going to say “yeap, stick a fork in me baby.”

I’m not in love with the guy but after you factor in the dead money, there’s not really anyone better that you’re going to get for cheaper this year. If that can turn into him becoming our next Tomczak, I’ll take it.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I think any backup knows that there is a “healthy” chance that the starter can be injured and miss time. So they will have a chance to show what they can do. At this stage - this is the best they can ask for. I hope Mitch can see what he is and see how he can be a valuable part of the Steelers for a long time and also reap the benefits of a stable storied franchise.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I think any backup knows that there is a “healthy” chance that the starter can be injured and miss time. So they will have a chance to show what they can do. At this stage - this is the best they can ask for. I hope Mitch can see what he is and see how he can be a valuable part of the Steelers for a long time and also reap the benefits of a stable storied franchise.
    Mitch can also see the coordinators horrible offense and game plans

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Agreed. If you have to, because of injuries, you can always make a trade down the road for someone with a little experience in with your organization:

And I think it's going to be a long long time
    'til touchdown brings me round again to find
    I'm not the man they think I am at home
    Oh, no, no, no I'm a rocket man .......
    It’s called practice squad player.