Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Backup QB

It was 6.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It was 6.
    Ok. No need to be fair then!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Most drafted QB's range from disapointmets ( back ups or bad starters ) to busts, are they not? Tell me why you think Pickett is not one of those, and why Bennett will be a bust. Details are requested related to his games. I get that Bennett is a SEC battle tested, two time national champion on a great team, but IMO he was not just along for the ride. He played well, very well.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not 100% sold on Pickett either. In my book he still has a lot to prove. So it's not simply a matter of my busting on Bennett to build Pickett up.

For one thing, Bennett is already 25 years old. And further, despite QBing a back-to-back national championship-winning team, NFL insiders are STILL only penciling him in as a backup QB at the NFL level (link). And that's a far cry from a franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Stetson Bennett simply isn't an NFL franchise QB level passer. It's really no more complicated than that.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-445c195feda6/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...g-report-2023/

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/0...ia-quarterback

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't know anything about Bennett. Haven't watched more than 6 consecutive downs of UGA offense ever.

BUT...many of those same draft sites and sources had Pickett pegged as 3-5th round back-up QB.

Again...I am more than willing to take your word for an eval on Bennett but I am also leery of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to do with QB evaluations.

KP's head for the game appears to be able to more than make-up for any short-comings his physical tools may present. In contrast, Lance and Willis gaps in their game knowledge appear to prevent their jaw dropping physical talents from being fully realized. In all of those cases, I know I was way off in how I saw those guys rookie years going. I assumed all three would turn the ball over a great deal but Willis and Lance would make enough plays to overcome that and that Pickett's college playmaking ability would fall away at NFL speeds. In fact, the opposite has happened so far.

Another example is Hurts. Everyone was so sure they knew what he was going to be in the NFL. And then he got a chance and a commitment from an NFL team to develop him and he has exceeded almost all of his internet scouting reports.

The limited point is that I think we should all be cautious about definitive statements on QBs. Except for Kirk Cousins that dude stinks. And Purdy. He's a mirage. But everyone else...who knows

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't know anything about Bennett. Haven't watched more than 6 consecutive downs of UGA offense ever.

BUT...many of those same draft sites and sources had Pickett pegged as 3-5th round back-up QB.

Again...I am more than willing to take your word for an eval on Bennett but I am also leery of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to do with QB evaluations.

KP's head for the game appears to be able to more than make-up for any short-comings his physical tools may present. In contrast, Lance and Willis gaps in their game knowledge appear to prevent their jaw dropping physical talents from being fully realized. In all of those cases, I know I was way off in how I saw those guys rookie years going. I assumed all three would turn the ball over a great deal but Willis and Lance would make enough plays to overcome that and that Pickett's college playmaking ability would fall away at NFL speeds. In fact, the opposite has happened so far.

Another example is Hurts. Everyone was so sure they knew what he was going to be in the NFL. And then he got a chance and a commitment from an NFL team to develop him and he has exceeded almost all of his internet scouting reports.

The limited point is that I think we should all be cautious about definitive statements on QBs. Except for Kirk Cousins that dude stinks. And Purdy. He's a mirage. But everyone else...who knows
    I took the question as why is Bennett expected to be a backup level QB, and some examples of scouting sites explaining that. Obviously we should question everything. If there was a way to know for certain we would all be keyed in on that. If you have a minute, compare and contrast the actual reports on KP vs Bennett. The hesitant feel is similar, the scouting report is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I took the question as why is Bennett expected to be a backup level QB, and some examples of scouting sites explaining that. Obviously we should question everything. If there was a way to know for certain we would all be keyed in on that. If you have a minute, compare and contrast the actual reports on KP vs Bennett. The hesitant feel is similar, the scouting report is very different.
    Yeah. I’ll read some stuff after the playoffs.

I don’t think Bennet will have much success but I didn’t think KP would either.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Brandon Weeden 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not 100% sold on Pickett either. In my book he still has a lot to prove. So it's not simply a matter of my busting on Bennett to build Pickett up.

For one thing, Bennett is already 25 years old. And further, despite QBing a back-to-back national championship-winning team, NFL insiders are STILL only penciling him in as a backup QB at the NFL level (link). And that's a far cry from a franchise QB.
    All right. Bennett is as you say already 25 years old. So is Pickett. Age is not a factor in 1st year QB contracts. Never has been, they are all young, and mostly healthy. At least the QB's who don't feature running in the Pro's are healthy. Just because internet sites say so-and-so in college means very little. Who attached their name to it? Then we can judge better on their track record.

Take it from me, I am impressed with the kid's toughness, durability, pocket mobility, ability to throw on the run, QB's smarts / ability to read a defense, ball security ( Fumbles and interceptions ) the ability to avoid negative plays ( sacks, he is one tough man to sack ) accuracy and down the field passing...the type Pickett lacks. In football lingo I am saying the 5,6,7,8, and 9. Or the Out, Dig, Corner, Post and Go routes. Things that require arm velocity and zip on passes that are typically over 8 yards. It's the type of passes Pickett has not made in general. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the kid has a great arm. The media often confuses arm with distance traveled / MPH. You need zip on the ball and a low arc for most passes, otherwise your give the defender a better chance to break or the ball / intercept it. It is true.

As you can see I'm not a happy jack blind type of homer type of fan nor I am a I an internet big mouth that lacks data / can't explain what he is saying.

I think Bennett is a draftabale QB, like in round three or four for now ( my opinion ) and until he proves he belongs with the field of other draftable QB's like the senior bowl week and game, and NFL works outs. Or he won't and I will change perspective.

Yes, he is small. But his hands are large ( ball security and release ) and he has proven he can take a hit, and is the type of player that you just don't get a clean shot very often if you know what I saying.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All right. Bennett is as you say already 25 years old. So is Pickett. Age is not a factor in 1st year QB contracts. Never has been, they are all young, and mostly healthy. At least the QB's who don't feature running in the Pro's are healthy. Just because internet sites say so-and-so in college means very little. Who attached their name to it? Then we can judge better on their track record.

Take it from me, I am impressed with the kid's toughness, durability, pocket mobility, ability to throw on the run, QB's smarts / ability to read a defense, ball security ( Fumbles and interceptions ) the ability to avoid negative plays ( sacks, he is one tough man to sack ) accuracy and down the field passing...the type Pickett lacks. In football lingo I am saying the 5,6,7,8, and 9. Or the Out, Dig, Corner, Post and Go routes. Things that require arm velocity and zip on passes that are typically over 8 yards. It's the type of passes Pickett has not made in general. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the kid has a great arm. The media often confuses arm with distance traveled / MPH. You need zip on the ball and a low arc for most passes, otherwise your give the defender a better chance to break or the ball / intercept it. It is true.

As you can see I'm not a happy jack blind type of homer type of fan nor I am a I an internet big mouth that lacks data / can't explain what he is saying.

I think Bennett is a draftabale QB, like in round three or four for now ( my opinion ) and until he proves he belongs with the field of other draftable QB's like the senior bowl week and game, and NFL works outs. Or he won't and I will change perspective.

Yes, he is small. But his hands are large ( ball security and release ) and he has proven he can take a hit, and is the type of player that you just don't get a clean shot very often if you know what I saying.
    Pickett hasn’t made those throws because he’s not required to make those throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Stetson Bennett simply isn't an NFL franchise QB level passer. It's really no more complicated than that.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-445c195feda6/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...g-report-2023/

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/0...ia-quarterback
    I read that, and my reply is what did they think about very good to great QB drafted like Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Tom Brady, and former QB's that retired recently such as Tony Romo and Kurt Warner? All were drafted in round 4 or beyond and some we not even drafted! My point is, if you don't have a good QB prospect, which Pickett has not proven you should draft one. We have two open qb spots now or will and most Pickett's play has been a bit suspect

Pickett averaged 188 yards a game and 1-4 in games where he has a game he has to throw it over 30 times and the game he won the team happened to get +2 in the turnover margin. This is not impressive. Think about it. He has shown enough to be a game manager type of QB you can win with IF your ground game is working AND the team is on the plus side on turnovers. This is true, but we also didn't pick him to be that. I'm sorry Pickett fans.

The lack of big plays, over 20 yards plus is the bottom of the NFL, like last.

It a good thing the Steelers lead the league in creating interceptions. You can't count in that next year. If we didn't our overall record would be worse, as in like three more losses worse.

Last edited by Six Rings; 01-22-2023 at 06:39 AM. Reason: cured to mak
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

We shouldn't jump to conclusions on Pickett immediately or other QB in year 1 and even 2 sometimes...Josh Allen was terrible in year 1,average at best in year 2...Jalen Hurts was average in year 2...Pickett has improved during the 2022 season, so we have to see what he will do in 2023

Bennett had a crazy loaded team around him, so no

I read that, and my reply is what did they think about very good to great QB drafted like Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Tom Brady, and former QB's that retired recently such as Tony Romo and Kurt Warner? All were drafted in round 4 or beyond and some we not even drafted! My point is, if you don't have a good QB prospect, which Pickett has not proven you should draft one. We have two open qb spots now or will and most Pickett's play has been a bit suspect

Pickett averaged 188 yards a game and 1-4 in games where he has a game he has to throw it over 30 times and the game he won the team happened to get +2 in the turnover margin. This is not impressive. Think about it. He has shown enough to be a game manager type of QB you can win with IF your ground game is working AND the team is on the plus side on turnovers. This is true, but we also didn't pick him to be that. I'm sorry Pickett fans.

The lack of big plays, over 20 yards plus is the bottom of the NFL, like last.

It a good thing the Steelers lead the league in creating interceptions. You can't count in that next year. If we didn't our overall record would be worse, as in like three more losses worse.

It’s all Fake News.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Pickett hasn’t made those throws because he’s not required to make those throws.
    So you are saying the playbook has been cut in half. I agree, he doesn't make these throws... the out, the dig, the corner, the post or the go much, nor has Pickett proven he is accurate and has enough passing velocity in general ( the mph ) on his throws in general. The result is the safeties have an easy game and the opponent can defend the run more with his safe short throws. It is not like Pickens hasn't made amazing did you see that type of catches to help his QB out.

It’s all Fake News.

It is as reported. Factual. It's not fake news. Just admit it is truthful.

Or maybe you just don't know enough to comment on and are casual fan who's upset by the data? That's okay too. Your 100% entitled to your opinion.

I'm more than sure this isn't a social media Facebook or Twitter type of place. I'll assume there is a politics / not football for that type of stuff. Not going there.

Or maybe you just don't know enough to comment on and are casual fan who's upset by the data? That's okay too. Your 100% entitled to your opinion.

I'm more than sure this isn't a social media Facebook or Twitter type of place. I'll assume there is a politics / not football for that type of stuff. Not going there.
    fake news

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    We shouldn't jump to conclusions on Pickett immediately or other QB in year 1 and even 2 sometimes...Josh Allen was terrible in year 1,average at best in year 2...Jalen Hurts was average in year 2...Pickett has improved during the 2022 season, so we have to see what he will do in 2023

Bennett had a crazy loaded team around him, so no
    If you saw either players first 12 games they shown a lot of stuff, such as the a stronger arm, the and better running / mobility and featured the type of passes that Pickett lacks. I am waiting for Pickett to show me positive signs, I do not care if he makes mistakes rookie mistakes. Comparing them him other QB such as Burrow and Herbet as rookies, just like I am comparing Brock Purdy as a rookie to Pickett. He's behind the in process despite staring a lot of games in college.

Just being honest. Benett is the goods in my opinion should be drafted much sooner than the web sites such as Water Football and Draft Tek say he will.

By the way I like your avatar. Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kidding me?! Sad fact is we have not won a playoff game in six seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

If you saw either players first 12 games they shown a lot of stuff, such as the a stronger arm, the and better running / mobility and featured the type of passes that Pickett lacks. I am waiting for Pickett to show me positive signs, I do not care if he makes mistakes rookie mistakes. Comparing them him other QB such as Burrow and Herbet as rookies, just like I am comparing Brock Purdy as a rookie to Pickett. He's behind the in process despite staring a lot of games in college.

Just being honest. Benett is the goods in my opinion should be drafted much sooner than the web sites such as Water Football and Draft Tek say he will.

By the way I like your avatar. Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kidding me?! Sad fact is we have not won a playoff game in six seasons.

more fake news

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    more fake news
    Playoffs? Are you kidding me? What ever your say. It is " fake news " that we have not won a playoff game in six years too. You could reply back with context to my factual data, or my opinions. Playoffs?

Backup QB

So you are saying the playbook has been cut in half. I agree, he doesn't make these throws... the out, the dig, the corner, the post or the go much, nor has Pickett proven he is accurate and has enough passing velocity in general ( the mph ) on his throws in general. The result is the safeties have an easy game and the opponent can defend the run more with his safe short throws. It is not like Pickens hasn't made amazing did you see that type of catches to help his QB out.
    No. Those routes don’t exist in a Matt Canada playbook. It’s already been proven many a times. It’s almost like you’ve watched zero Steelers games the past three seasons.

But you are right…Pickens makes amazing catches to help his QB out. Unlike Diggs, Chase and the rest of the league. If Mahomes had someone who could make amazing catches, or even Joe Burrow, theyd have 6000 yards passing.

More fake news.

No it’s not. Fake News. Go use Google.com.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Well first of all LOL, who looks at Walter Football and Draft Tek as reputable.....just sayin.

Herbert has a cannon arm, there's no doubt. But they finished only one game better than us at 10-7. Burrow OTOH is a complete QB and I hate saying that, but the dude is legit. We will have a tough time unseating them year to year.

All QBs win differently....Lamar with his legs, Brady with his experience/IQ, others with team (Manning, Foles, Dilfer) you can go on and on. If we are comparing Kenny effin Pickett to the rest of the NFL starters past or present, it is just too early imo. Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be the prototype QB assembled in some underground bunker but he has struggled. Some throws last night were pretty bad.

IF Trubisky is moved, then they'll bring in another vet and 7th rounder/UDFA. I actually think Bennett is gone before the 7th so it'll be a moot point. Seems like a 4-5 rnd range to me.

What did I say that Goolge says is not true in terms of data I submitted? Your examples are? If you have none or can't seem to locate it, well then...

Remember and opinions on a message board can vary, but the data behind them does not.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-22-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

haha no don't use Google. They're fake as hell.

One thing I can agree with in this 'discussion' is that "if you don't have a proven QB, you need a backup plan". Sort of the thread title and the purpose of the thread 'discussion' from page 1. One thing I cannot agree with is locking in on one player as THE player we should all lock in on before we even truly know all the options.

We CAN pretty much figure on Mason not being brought back(assumption).
    We can also pretty much figure on Mitch remaining for his $10M payday, or maybe even extended another year to break that cost up(assumption).

With these assumptions, I think whoever the Steelers bring in will be as the 3rd option, not the immediate backup. Josh Dobbs makes sense. So does a 7th round draft pick 'jewel in the rough' hopeful. Someone early to come in and immediately challenge KP as the starter does not make sense.

What did I say that Goolge says os not true in terms of data I submitted? Your examples are? If you have none of can't seem to locate it, well then...

Remember and opinion on a message board can vary, but the data behind them does not.
    Your opinion is fake News, the data you provide is REALLY fake news and clearly your grasp of the English language os fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    Well first of all LOL, who looks at Walter Football and Draft Tek as reputable.....just sayin.

Herbert has a cannon arm, there's no doubt. But they finished only one game better than us at 10-7. Burrow OTOH is a complete QB and I hate saying that, but the dude is legit. We will have a tough time unseating them year to year.

All QBs win differently....Lamar with his legs, Brady with his experience/IQ, others with team (Manning, Foles, Dilfer) you can go on and on. If we are comparing Kenny effin Pickett to the rest of the NFL starters past or present, it is just too early imo. Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be the prototype QB assembled in some underground bunker but he has struggled. Some throws last night were pretty bad.

IF Trubisky is moved, then they'll bring in another vet and 7th rounder/UDFA. I actually think Bennett is gone before the 7th so it'll be a moot point. Seems like a 4-5 rnd range to me.

I hear you and see your point. Mine is the when the current young Qb's are doing well showed me more as rookies than Pickett has. Things like a good arm, throwing less non check down and safe type of passes, yards passing in gerneral, TD's thrown etc.. I dislike the Bengals! But Pickett's upside is that of Andy Dalton I think. Upside mind you. Andy Dalton as much as I hate to admit was at best an above average QB. Nothing more than that. All the young QB's that are good proved more than Pickett has ( inducing rookie Purdy ) in their first 12 games starting.

Lamar Jackson has been hurt and out of action twice ( 10 games ) in the last two seasons. Sulky Lamar's playing style isn't suited for long term NFL play and his body is already breaking down at age 26. I hope the Ravens PAY the man and give him a long term deal, as it will sink the franchise for years. 50 million a year on the salary cap If he can't run well / stay healthy and sure as heck is not a good passer who is backed up by ( and I hate to say this ) a good defense, a hall of fame clutch kicker, good special teams and above average coaching he isn't adding much value.

The Steelers aren't not keeping Mitch or Rudy. We have a least one roster spot open for a QB and I hope we spend a pick on a player like Bennett. Not in round one, or even round two by the way, but rounds 3-7 for sure. Other needs at OT, and DL will be filled in round one and with the 2 picks in round two.

Here’s the thing, man.

No need to be a jerk to everyone who disagrees with you. That’s my job.

And as far as extolling how you’re an amazing poster that brings the facts and data, remember how you got caught copying and pasting entire posts from other Steelers message boards and passing them off as your own?

All the evidence is in the archives here. The internet is kinda forever or until the severs explode. Keep being a jackass and I’ll decide to find the time to dig it out and we can heckle you off here again. That seems mean spirited and unfair, so I’d really rather not.

You seem to know your draft stuff and have interesting takes. So keep posting but just stop going off guns blazing at anyone who doesn’t see it your way.

Seeing Bennett as more than an NFL backup is putting you in an extreme minority right now. Now as the offseason process unfolds, maybe more information and stuff becomes readily available that moves more people toward your side. Maybe not. Either way, chill out and try being a bit nicer. You’ll likely find more people willing to talk to you about stuff.

Here’s the thing, man.

No need to be a jerk to everyone who disagrees with you. That’s my job.
    And you do a great job at it!!

And as far as extolling how you’re an amazing poster that brings the facts and data, remember how you got caught copying and pasting entire posts from other Steelers message boards and passing them off as your own?
    Which most of those “facts” have been proven wrong with a simple google search.

Art Rooney II says Steelers will keep Mitch Trubisky

“I expect Mitch will be on the roster next year and be an effective backup if we need him,” Rooney II said on KDKA-TV. “I think he showed that he can be that. We can win with him.”

more on this

https://triblive.com/sports/friday-f...sue-nfl-draft/