Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Isn't he under contract???
    I thought he and the Raiders agreed to part ways. I don’t know if he’s a FA now or not.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Isn't he under contract???
    Care is under contract but no team should trade for him. He will force the Raiders to release him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Care is under contract but no team should trade for him. He will force the Raiders to release him.
    Ah… got it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Either way it goes I don’t think Carr settles for a backup role. He’ll go somewhere to be the starter. Maybe the Colts or Commanders?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Either way it goes I don’t think Carr settles for a backup role. He’ll go somewhere to be the starter. Maybe the Colts or Commanders?
    Jets

Carr in Miami could ne interesting.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Wonder how much Matt Ryan will cost once he is cut from the Colts? He'll be 38 and his starting days are over with, he's from PA also. He could be a good mentor for KP.

Jacoby Brissett has the NC State connection with Canada(lol)/Faulkner
    someone like Ryan would make a good backup. He’s been there, had success, playoff and Super Bowl experience. Can still perform in a pinch if needed.

I wouldn’t pickup Carr, another guy who still thinks he’s a starter - although I think he’s better than Trubisky - an experience vet near the end of his career would be better

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Carr in Miami could ne interesting.
    Buccaneers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Trade Trubisky and a R7 pick… for Lawrence.

I would seriously take Andy Dalton/Matt Ryan as a backup for KP.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Rudolph is a free agent.

Mitch is bitching that he should have waited.

I don't see either coming back.

Who would you sign or draft to back up KFP.
    I am still not sure they have a quality starting QB at this point.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I am still not sure they have a quality starting QB at this point.
    It’s like you didn’t watch a game all season.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Keenum or Rush. I doubt either Trubisky or Rudolph wants to stay. I have a suspicion Rudolph ends up as a back up in Dallas. So maybe it'd in effect be a swap and Pittsburgh can get C. Rush. And they always bring in an UDFA or two for camp. Maybe the dude from Purdue - O'Connell.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He was busy watching All in the Family reruns.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

So last season's performance equates to a quality starting QB? Just one rookie season and that's all you need to make that judgment? Or be quality, do you mean he has a heart beat? You must have thought Kordell was quality starting QB too.

76.7 QB Rating
    Hater = Realist

So last season's performance equates to a quality starting QB? Just one rookie season and that's all you need to make that judgment? Or be quality, do you mean he has a heart beat? You must have thought Kordell was quality starting QB too.

76.7 QB Rating
    fake news

76.7 QB Rating
    It's like you didn't watch ANY of the season...lol

Pictures don't lie...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Bradshaw had a 70.9 QB career rating. 77 rating in the 1979 super bowl year.

Stats only tell half the story.

KP has been clutch this year, can't deny that.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

76.7 QB Rating
    I honestly believe, that the Steelers could go 17-0, breeze through the playoffs and win the SB by 30 points, and you would still complain about a missed tackle by #00 of the special teams in game 3.

I realize that is very rhetorical….but that would be consistent with most of your posts……Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I honestly believe, that the Steelers could go 17-0, breeze through the playoffs and win the SB by 30 points, and you would still complain about a missed tackle by #00 of the special teams in game 3.

I realize that is very rhetorical….but that would be consistent with most of your posts……Keep it coming.
    True

He was often not happy about Lebeau and Lamar Woodley when the Steelers were at their best in the 2004-2010 period....

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Are you trying to say that the glass is not only half full with him but it is also crack, leaking and too small?

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Bradshaw had a 70.9 QB career rating. 77 rating in the 1979 super bowl year.

Stats only tell half the story.

KP has been clutch this year, can't deny that.
    "Great players aren't always great, they're just great when they have to be"
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

76.7 QB Rating
    Are you saying that he isn't quality starting QB material, that he didn't show enough to be considered a quality starting QB, or that he may have showed enough development this year but it is way too early to declare him a quality QB? I would disagree completely with the first one, mostly disagree with the second one (the last few weeks of the season has to be taken into account), but would completely agree with the last one. He should good development this year and hopefully will continue that next year but we need to see it continue through year three.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Rudolph is a free agent.

Mitch is bitching that he should have waited.

I don't see either coming back.

Who would you sign or draft to back up KFP.

This is a good question as both Rudolph and Trubsiky are likely gone. I am not sold on Pickett being the long term answer, meaning a QB you give a second contract too. He hasn't shown the down the field throwing, over or in between the defenders. The velocity on his passing is not there, watch the other QB's in the playoffs to see what I am talking about. He has shown he is a safe check down type of passer who doesn't score may points and thrives when the defense is getting interceptions ( we lead the league here ) and the running game is working well. But passing for yards, not really. He is averaging 188 yards a game and 1-4 in games where he has a game he has to throw it over 30 times and the game he won happened to get +2 in the turnover margin. This is not impressive.

This isn't the sign of a QB you keep, and he has played enough as a rookie. The Steelers would be wise the hedge against Pickett just incase he does not improve much. He has been shaken up a bit too much too. Drafting a quarterback in round 3-7 would be a good idea.

I am intrigued by the play if the very quick Stetson Bennett who has shown a live arm, quick feet and is tough to sack / takes very few negative plays! He was only sacked 9 times last year and 9 times the year before. That is amazing. He doesn't fumble much or throw many interceptions either and can take a hit and run / throw on the run. He also plays smart and completed 68% plus last year. Several 300 yard games. He makes the down the field throws the NFL desires. His competition played in college is a good as it gets. Far better than Pickett's. Selecting him in round three or four makes sense for us. Yeah, he is a runt QB. So was Drew Bree and Doug Flute. So was Murray and the soon to be picked in round one Young. As you can tell I am nearly sold on him as a draft prospect and expect him to light up the draft board during the senior bowl week and game. You heard it here first. He's has large hands ( 9' 3/4 " ) by the way.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-21-2023 at 07:43 AM.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    This is a good question as both Rudolph and Trubsiky are likely gone. I am not sold on Pickett being the long term answer, meaning a QB you give a second contract too. He hasn't shown the down the field throwing, over or in between the defenders. The velocity on his passing is not there, watch the other QB's in the playoffs to see what I am talking about. He has shown he is a safe check down type of passer who doesn't score may points and thrives when the defense is getting interceptions ( we lead the league here ) and the running game is working well. But passing for yards, not really. He is averaging 188 yards a game and 1-4 in games where he has a game he has to throw it over 30 times and the game he won happened to get +2 in the turnover margin. This is not impressive.

This isn't the sign of a QB you keep, and he has played enough as a rookie. The Steelers would be wise the hedge against Pickett just incase he does not improve much. He has been shaken up a bit too much too. Drafting a quarterback in round 3-7 would be a good idea.

I am intrigued by the play if the very quick Stetson Bennett who has show a live arm, quick feet and is tough to sack / takes very few negative plays! He was only sacked 9 times last year and 9 times the year before. That is amazing. He doesn't fumble much or throw many interceptions either and can take a hit and run / throw on the run. He also plays smart and completed 68% plus last year. Several 300 yard games. He makes the down the field throws the NFL desires. His competition played in college is a good as it gets. Far better than Pickett's. Selecting him in round three or four makes sense for us. Yeah, he is a runt QB. So was Drew Bree and Doug Flute. So was Murray and the soon to be picked in round one Young. As you can tell I am nearly sold on him as a draft prospect and expect him to light up the draft board during the senior bowl week and game. You heard it here first. He's has large hands ( 9' 3/4 " ) by the way.
    Where did you copy that?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Where did you copy that?
    LOL. Not only that, I would look good at QB with UGA. I think Bennett has "bust" written all over him.

Where did you copy that?
    I did not copy that, I wrote it myself.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    LOL. Not only that, I would look good at QB with UGA. I think Bennett has "bust" written all over him.

Most drafted QB's range from disapointmets ( back ups or bad starters ) to busts, are they not? Tell me why you think Pickett is not one of those, and why Bennett will be a bust. Details are requested related to his games. I get that Bennett is a SEC battle tested, two time national champion on a great team, but IMO he was not just along for the ride. He played well, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I did not copy that, I wrote it myself.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

We need to be fair. I can not remember if it was Six Rings or not. I also have no idea what dead old thread it was all in.

His draft stuff was always pretty detailed and a good read.

I mean I guess we could Google search stuff…

…Maybe it’s ChatGPT or whatever the robot writer is called?