Thread: Skip Bayliss' 'offensive' tweet

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Skip Bayliss' 'offensive' tweet

I have to say I was shocked when I read what Bayliss posted on Twitter about the Damar Hamlin situation. Not shocked that he said it - shocked that all these people were flipping the fuck out over it.

Like, that's it? THIS is what he's getting dragged for? From hearing other people talk about the tweet, it sounded like he must have called him the N-word and hoped he died. But all it was, was "This sucks, and they'll probably have to reschedule the game, I wonder how that even works." Literally all there was to it, unless I'm really missing something.

Like, when did it become mandatory that if something bad happens, you are ONLY allowed to repeat variations of "omg how horrible!" and nothing else, or you are being awful and offensive and you are a terrible person. Ok, nobody disagrees that it's awful. Everyone hopes he's all right. So, what happens next, what does it mean? Is that not a natural thing to wonder? No, no, you must only keep stating the same emotional response.

But omg, the guy is fighting for his life, this is just a GAME! Well, we've covered all that in the first 5 minutes, and there's no new information available, so now what? The guy has already been taken to the hospital where he'll hopefully survive, and wondering how they'll handle the game doesn't affect that one bit.

The GAME??? Yes, this very game we were watching right now. Someone's got to tell the camera crew to go home - do we say what a jerk, how could you be thinking about work right now? Someone has to figure out whether the team's flying home or not - do we say what a jerk, how could you be thinking about airline flights when a man's life is on the line!

The point is, once you've shouted "Oh, the humanity," someone still has to clean up the wreckage and decide what to do about the next blimp flight. Decisions still have to be made even when people are really emotional, and there's no need to be raked over the coals for wondering about one of the more obvious ones. It's not like the guy was saying, "Man, the people who bet on the over/under really got hosed tonight no matter how you cut it."

THAT would be callous and rude. Calling for someone to be fired and canceled for wondering about some of the most straightforward implications of that incident - which no one has any control over anymore - is pretty uncalled for. I mean, when the game would be rescheduled wasn't the first thing on my mind either, but god damn.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Skip Bayliss' 'offensive' tweet

I think Bayless is a Class A douchenozzle in general, but yeah, I saw nothing wrong with what he said.

During the incident, Bayless tweeted: “no doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game - but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome … which suddenly seems so irrelevant.”
    Key words highlighted in bold - seems to me he was putting Hamlin's health above the game.

Could he have chosen his words better? Perhaps. But he shouldn't have been crucified for it the way he was.

Besides, Goodell is fucking things up again as usual and as expected, so the question about rescheduling is relevant. Simply push the postseason back a week, and have a one week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. It's been done before and it's not like they have to worry about conflicting MLB games in shared parks, so WTF?

I was confused when I read it as well. I think, however, the people read the irrelevant comment as a swipe. That is, "look how stupid it is that people are treating this game so irrelevant now." If that's what he meant, then yes that would be a horrible thing to say. But that is not what I think he meant. This is a case of assuming the worst rather than the best of someone

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

people nowadays just seem to have to be mad about something. If there's nothing, they just go after the lowest hanging fruit there is
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I think Bayless is a Class A douchenozzle in general, but yeah, I saw nothing wrong with what he said.

Key words highlighted in bold - seems to me he was putting Hamlin's health above the game.

Could he have chosen his words better? Perhaps. But he shouldn't have been crucified for it the way he was.

Besides, Goodell is fucking things up again as usual and as expected, so the question about rescheduling is relevant. Simply push the postseason back a week, and have a one week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. It's been done before and it's not like they have to worry about conflicting MLB games in shared parks, so WTF?
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I believe it's the but how? that the world didn't appreciate and probably misunderstood since I read his tweets before this tweet and Bayless was concerned about his health...I'll give Skip the benefit of the doubt on this, I believe Bayless was a victim of his reputation on it and he was misunderstood.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He's still a douchebag.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He could’ve just let things be. There’s no need to Tweet every thought that rattles through your skull.

People are right, the issue crossed most peoples minds and it will need dealt with.

But basic decorum used to be that you waited to talk about details until the crisis was over. When I’m in the emergency room covered in blood, I’m not to keen on talking about how many credit cards I’m going to have to split the bill over.

There used to be that there was a time and place for everything. And we used to be okay with waiting and not knowing. Now? Just post it to the internet. And substitute prattling on for actual information. I realize the irony here…

I agree that Skippo shouldn’t be fired or suspended or whatever. He’s just an asshole who buys into the belief that anyone gives a crap what he thinks at all times.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He could’ve just let things be. There’s no need to Tweet every thought that rattles through your skull.
    It's kinda like the game day threads...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's kinda like the game day threads...
    True! But at least we all choose to be there yelling about the game.

Skip just figured the world needed to hear from him at that specific moment.

I know I’m a broken record, but gawd Twitter is fracking useless. It just consumes all these media and public figures. They think it’s necessary and normal. Outside of this forum, I literately do not know anyone who uses it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

True! But at least we all choose to be there yelling about the game.

Skip just figured the world needed to hear from him at that specific moment.

I know I’m a broken record, but gawd Twitter is fracking useless. It just consumes all these media and public figures. They think it’s necessary and normal. Outside of this forum, I literately do not know anyone who uses it.
    It's just for famous people to always let the masses know what they are thinking every waking moment about every topic on earth. Thus, I don't follow. I don't ever foresee a day when I want Lebron's opinion about anything other than basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's just for famous people to always let the masses know what they are thinking every waking moment about every topic on earth. Thus, I don't follow. I don't ever foresee a day when I want Lebron's opinion about anything other than basketball.
    Over the holidays I was reading an opinion piece about Musk and his actions since taking over Twitter. The author mounted a convincing case that those in media and the public eye (not sure what to call this...but "famous" people?) are obsessed with Twitter because they use it constantly and are convinced it is a vital "tool" for daily functioning. He went on that when you move out to "just plain folks" like no one really uses Twitter to accomplish much. Maybe if you have a business or something...but most people don't even have an account.

Anyway, long story not so short....it was an insightful point that Twitter stays in the news because people in news think it is important/useful but for most other people it is just as you described it.

I wish we could all just get back to the idea that during "breaking news" or "developing stories" there will be big stretches of time where we all just have to anxiously await updates. Not just constant instant updates that contain no actual information. It is more than okay to just not know for a period of time. Honestly, sometimes that is far better than substituting nonsense or opinions just to feel like you know stuff.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Oh wow someone in 2023 was offended? Shocked I tell you.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m way more offended tgat Bart Scott is blaming Tee Higgins.

Like seriously… WTF!?!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m way more offended tgat Bart Scott is blaming Tee Higgins.

Like seriously… WTF!?!
    Bart Scott is wrong and usually out of line.

But there’s an interesting discussion point buried in that.

Defense can not lead with head for safety reasons. Should the ability of offense to lead with head and initiate contact with helmets be examined?

At some point you’re going to run into a physics and anatomy problem but maybe neither side can lead with the helmet?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bart Scott is wrong and usually out of line.

But there’s an interesting discussion point buried in that.

Defense can not lead with head for safety reasons. Should the ability of offense to lead with head and initiate contact with helmets be examined?

At some point you’re going to run into a physics and anatomy problem but maybe neither side can lead with the helmet?
    Discussion point about safety: YES

Blaming Tee Higgins: EFF NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Discussion point about safety: YES

Blaming Tee Higgins: EFF NO!!!
    Exactly. So far, from the little I’ve seen/heard, most of these guys shouldn’t talk much about this because the dumb falls out of their brain live on camera.

Ryan Clark has managed to avoid this so far. Good for him.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Mass psychosis. The same people jumping on Bayless as being heartless have been cheerleading Ukraine into an unwinnable war that has resulted in 8,000,000+ refugees and 150,000+ deaths.

It's very interesting to watch fake outrage. It is extremely religious behavior.

I can’t wait to hear the rest of this realpolitik analysis. Should be fascinating.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Haven't watched Bayless since he got schooled by Mark Cuban in a beatdown on air about 10 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Mass psychosis. The same people jumping on Bayless as being heartless have been cheerleading Ukraine into an unwinnable war that has resulted in 8,000,000+ refugees and 150,000+ deaths.

It's very interesting to watch fake outrage. It is extremely religious behavior.
    Not to mention the almost untraceable billions that have gone through there ... but this is for another forum.