Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Thoughts and prayers to Damar for a full and speedy recovery first and foremost, as well as his family, teammates, and friends.

Such a very scary situation. Life is so precious and should never be taken for granted.

With that being said, The Jungle is cursed. Enough is enough. Burn the damn thing down and start over.
    I think they must have built the damn thing on an Indian burial ground or something. Somebody needs to go there and burn some sage.

UC Medical Center is excellent. He is in good hands. My prayers for him and his family.

They are saying work has basically stopped at all the NFL facilities. Everyone is shaken up, for good reason.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

They are saying work has basically stopped at all the NFL facilities. Everyone is shaken up, for good reason.
    At this point I could see them extending the season another week so these two teams can make up/finish the game. I would not be shocked if eventually the NFL changes forever and becomes less of a tackling league. Troy Vincent already has hinted at the changes:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...s-competition/

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    At this point I could see them extending the season another week so these two teams can make up/finish the game. I would not be shocked if eventually the NFL changes forever and becomes less of a tackling league. Troy Vincent already has hinted at the changes:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...s-competition/
    He wasn't talking about the NFL, though, just that flag football opens the game up for so many more to play at all levels. It's like someone coming out and stating that all rec league hockey will be no-check so that more people can play (although that's true for the most part already, but it's the first example that came to mind).

I also can't help thinking about what Tee Higgins is feeling right now. It was a good football play with bad unintended consequences. I've been on that end of it before (although not at the level of someone's heart stopping). As a youth playing hockey, I put a shoulder into someone crossing the center line with his head down just as he was receiving a pass. Knocked him out cold for at least five minutes. Scared me to death. I refused to hit anyone else for a while after that. Again, nothing like what Tee Higgins must be feeling but enough similarities that it makes me feel for Higgins as well.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I will congratulate the NFL if they push back every game for a week considering this unique situation.....The only thing it would do is for the pro bowl and also there would be no bye before the super bowl...This is unlikely but this is my hope

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I will congratulate the NFL if they push back every game for a week considering this unique situation.....The only thing it would do is for the pro bowl and also there would be no bye before the super bowl...This is unlikely but this is my hope
    I’d love to see it…but how do they do that logistically though for people who have travel plans, hotels, sponsor parties, events, all that stuff.

I get that it might be the most important game on the season but l, maybe, just let it go. Buffalo and Cincinnati have 16 game seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m not sure how to feel right now. I’m not sure what I want the diagnosis and/or outcome to be.

a) Hamilton has a preexisting heart condition, and while his career is over, this really only affects him

…or…

b) Hamilton is healthy, and this couid happen to ANY player at ANY time

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m not sure how to feel right now. I’m not sure what I want the diagnosis and/or outcome to be.

a) Hamilton has a preexisting heart condition, and while his career is over, this really only affects him

…or…

Unfortunately, my guess is the latter, although I'd include "...while very rare..." between "and" and "this."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tomlin looks shaken in his press conference; he’s known Hamlin since the kid was 12 years old.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Tomlin looks shaken in his press conference; he’s known Hamlin since the kid was 12 years old.
    Yes. He’s had a relationship with him for a pretty long time…

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yeah, I saw that. We are all hurting over this right now, but man, it must be so hard for so many people in the league who were close to him. To think that Tomlin has known him since he was a kid… it must be so difficult to compartmentalize and go about the business of preparing a football team right now. On the other hand, many people, myself included, really benefit from having something else to focus their minds on in times like this.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

…or…

I'm going to go with B. It can happen to anyone at anytime, but not for the reasons one might think. We've seen guys break to pieces, get paralyzed, loaded on stretchers, and had a player literally get folded in half. They never literally stopped games for any of it.

I think there is something far reaching and worse at play here and right now no one wants to be the controversial guy. The reality is right here on our doorstep, and more questions will be asked.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Unfortunately, my guess is the latter, although I'd include "...while very rare..." between "and" and "this."
    Yes, I think you’re right. Remember when Ben broke a rib that could have possibly pierced his heart if he was less lucky? Humans hitting humans at fast speeds and with violent force is by its nature an endeavor that will always come with the (relatively low) risk of catastrophic results at any given time. We’re all still made of the same vulnerable body parts. You hit certain parts at a certain force from a certain angle… yeah, it can be very bad.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

…or…

They almost always find some hidden heart condition when something like this happens. There are many examples where similar things have taken place, and plain random bad luck is pretty rare. Sometimes the player can even resume his career (not sure about football, but it has happened in things like basketball and soccer).

It will NEVER be possible to make football, or any sport, completely safe, and it would be a mistake to try - especially with more harebrained knee-jerk rules about tackling. What it looks like to me is that the lessons learned from the Hank Gathers tragedy worked, and prevented this from becoming another Hank Gathers tragedy. A scary situation, but ultimately all the medical precautions did their job. I pray that he makes it through the last steps of it in the coming days, which ultimately depends on him and no one else.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Looks like another booster coincidence loosened up some clots.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    not this bullshit again
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    not this bullshit again
    Exactly. Enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Not even remotely close to that. This is something that happens if everything aligns perfectly in the world for it to happen. It’s an unfortunate event that can happen to anybody in the world if everything aligns to make it possible. It’s happened well before “the booster conspiracies” and it will happen well after…

Some bad joke are so low.....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Slowly weening him off is a good sign if he’s able to handle it…

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not even remotely close to that. This is something that happens if everything aligns perfectly in the world for it to happen. It’s an unfortunate event that can happen to anybody in the world if everything aligns to make it possible. It’s happened well before “the booster conspiracies” and it will happen well after…
    It’s just poor judgment to bring the subject up at this point after a traumatic night for anyone with a heart. I don’t like when gun control politicized after a tragedy and this is similar IMO. The grieving and or healing process needs to happen without politics. Some people are clueless on putting oneself in another’s shoes. For instance Bayless, I don’t think it was that bad or a fire able offense but it was in bad taste. Then again that’s who he is. All you can do is shake your head. A lot of good people out there tho, 4 mill for the go fund me in 22 hours.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I think they must have built the damn thing on an Indian burial ground or something.
    That thought had actually crossed my mind, too. I would really be interested in the history of the land that the stadium was built upon.

Continued prayers for Damar.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Pardon me if this has been posted already as I am seeing 3 or 4 blank posts on this page of the thread ...

The Hamlin family's statement came through Damar's marketing representative Jordon Rooney.

Much later on Tuesday, Hamlin's uncle Dorrian Glenn spoke with reporters and said his nephew had gone from being on 100 percent oxygen to 50 percent.
    Glenn added that Hamlin needed to be resuscitated twice, once on the field and once after he arrived at the hospital, and there is a concern of lung damage.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    That thought had actually crossed my mind, too. I would really be interested in the history of the land that the stadium was built upon.

Continued prayers for Damar.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There are studies looking into this but at this point NO ONE has any evidence to say it was this or that, only the treating doctors can make that call. It really looks like a case of commotio cordis which was talked about in the first page of this thread.

But studies HAVE TO BE done, there just has to be because way too many younger athletes (and non-athletes) are dying suddenly and it is NOT normal. Now I'm not saying last night's event was linked to this but again EVERYTHING should be on the table to see what caused this. It most likely will end up being a once in a lifetime event with unfortunately the hit triggering a genetic defect in the heart but no one knows until an investigation is done.

This is an interesting study showing damaged heart muscle after taking the vaccine. All these tissue samples were from healthy people that got vaccinated and then were found dead. Again early study so take it for what it is. This guy is not some YouTube hack either. He's a retired doctor in the UK that used to teach nursing school. The study he is sighting is from a group of German pathologists. My wife (a veterinarian understands this stuff way better than me).

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    not this bullshit again
    If he's wrong, then what do you think it is?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For crying out loud...when I was in little league many eons ago, people talked about getting beaned in the chest stopping kiddo's hearts. There was a couple of cases in my region and they started providing chest padding to all the teams. This was long before vaccines were even an issue.

In this thread alone there are multiple cases of pro athletes experiencing similar events. Again, long before the current vaccine debate.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing.