Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Goodell looking bad right now…

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I played ice hockey for years through D1. I have heard of stories like this in hockey where players get struck directly in the chest just in the right spot with a hard slap shot and it stops the heart. My guess is he got hit in that spot.

This really is horrible and I hope they can get him breathing on his own.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m so afraid that they are going to have to turn off the machines. I’m certain he is brain dead. Massive heart attack or a brain aneurism… AWFUL!

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Clarke is really good!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Prayers for Hamlin, as well as his family and friends.

Just awful.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Damar Hamlin is just like us. He’s a Steelers fan. My thoughts go out to him and his family.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

looked rather routine. i wouldnt even call it a "big hit"

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m so afraid that they are going to have to turn off the machines. I’m certain he is brain dead. Massive heart attack or a brain aneurism… AWFUL!

I hear your fears and understand them ...

for those who may have missed this because it was posted early on in this thread that is moving quickly .... if this is the case survival rates although vastly improved from 10 - 15 years ago are still not great ...

speculation of it being commotio cordis is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat, producing what is termed an R-on-T phenomenon that leads to the condition. It is a form of ventricular fibrillation (V-Fib), not mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease. The survival rate is 58%, which is an increase in comparison to years 1993–2012, where only 34% victims survived. This increase is likely caused by the prompt CPR, access to defibrillation and higher public awareness of this condition.[1] Commotio cordis occurs mostly in boys and young men (average age 15), usually during sports, most frequently baseball, often despite a chest protector. It is usually caused by a projectile, but can also be caused by the blow of an elbow or other body part. Being less developed, the thorax of an adolescent is likely more prone to this injury given the circumstances.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Clarke is really good!!
    That's a pretty definitive statement. I hope you're wrong.

Prayers for the young man.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    looked rather routine. i wouldnt even call it a "big hit"
    I can’t tell on my phone if the video I posted (above) is working or not, but it explains what Ezra describes (about being hit in the chest at the right moment between heartbeats).

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That's a pretty definitive statement. I hope you're wrong.

Prayers for the young man.
    I’m so hoping I’m wrong…..but there was so little reaction from him, and they had to intubate him, on the field. I don’t want to be a downer, and it is tearing me up. I want him to play next week….

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I can’t tell on my phone if the video I posted (above) is working or not, but it explains what Ezra describes (about being hit in the chest at the right moment between heartbeats).
    commotio cordis post 5 and post 36

I have multiple channels on tv and radio just for news on Hamlin

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Not as serious as Hamlin's situation, but along the same lines:

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Harmon collapsed like nothing and was effectively unconscious. Pronger was still up and aware after collapsing.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Looks like something similar happened in an nfl game in 71,

let’s hope the outcome is not the same

There's another NHL player whose heart stopped. He was on the bench. The bench just emptied for medical staff and no one knew what was happening. They got has heart beating again and then put him in the ambulance to the hospital. Halfway there however, he wanted them to return to the rink so he could get back out on the ice. They obviously said no.

As for Hamlin, I pray he recovers. As strange as this may sound, I'm happy it happened in Cincinnati if it were to happen anywhere. They way the medical staff and later, the hospital and surgeons dealt with Shazier, I really feel as though Hamlin has an equal better chance of recovering due to Cincy's medical personal than almost anywhere else.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Given the situation they probably did CPR quicker than would happen when this kind of blow to the heart occurs in other situations. I really hope that fact increases his chances above the general 58% for such things.

It was so scary to watch. We forget how frail even the healthiest human body really is.

My heart is with him, his family, and everyone who loves him.

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

Hi guys , like u guys I am shocked by what has happened. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
    This is a link for when a very similar thing happened to Christian Eriksen . A pro football player who at the time was playing for his country.

I hope the link works for u guys.

https://www.football.london/internat...d-cup-25578309

Eriksen made a full recovery and played for Brentford last season and is now playing for Man Utd.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

not steelers I get it but this transcends team

Most recent update is that he’s still in critical comdition and these next 12-24 hours will be critical as they are going to start weaning him off of the ventilator.

Prayers are with him, the Bills and the rest of the NFL Players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It's just scary and I'm very nervous for his life.. For me, I was lucky that I was asleep when it happened yesterday otherwise I would have had nightmares during the night

Just a tragedy and suspending the game was the only thing to do in this case. Btw what it's gonna take for Skip Bayless to lose his job, not the first time he's classless but his tweet was even worse than others

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

It's been said but I think back to Hank Gathers.

Prayers to Damar and his family.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With all do respect to three of those players, Hamlin’s injury is far and away much more scary than the other three…it’s not even close. That injury and what happened last night…that is scary…and still is.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    With all do respect to three of those players, Hamlin’s injury is far and away much more scary than the other three…it’s not even close. That injury and what happened last night…that is scary…and still is.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    in real time , I dunno about that as they all were really scary ... we didnt know if AB was gonna survive in real time , Shazier we just didnt know either ... sure in hindsight we can say not as scary because we know the outcomes of those ...

I didnt make the meme , if I had there would be others added to it Darryl Stingley SR comes to mind ... but a point was being made about that field /venue not that there is anything wrong with the venue itself but its getting a history for tragic outcomes

but either way this is tragic

I’m so sorry to have been so “gloom and doom”, last night, but that was one of the most upsetting sights I’ve ever seen on the “field of play”. I’m so hoping for a full recovery for Hamlin. Please, update this whenever anyone has news!!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Thoughts and prayers to Damar for a full and speedy recovery first and foremost, as well as his family, teammates, and friends.

Such a very scary situation. Life is so precious and should never be taken for granted.

With that being said, The Jungle is cursed. Enough is enough. Burn the damn thing down and start over.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I’m so sorry to have been so “gloom and doom”, last night, but that was one of the most upsetting sights I’ve ever seen on the “field of play”. I’m so hoping for a full recovery for Hamlin. Please, update this whenever anyone has news!!
    I think everybody is shaken by it. I couldn't sleep for a while thinking about him.

Just to shine a light for this young man, here is a link to his charity's Go Fund me page.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the...nity-toy-drive

commotio cordis post 5 and post 36
    Indeed The video is a nice breakdown (using layman’s terms).

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I think everybody is shaken by it. I couldn't sleep for a while thinking about him.

Just to shine a light for this young man, here is a link to his charity's Go Fund me page.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the...nity-toy-drive
    it exploded last night right after the injury first seen the link to the go fund me at 300k and that was after donations were pouring in and this is a 2020 Go Fund me Event ....

if you read his mission for this go fund me you will be quick to realize if/when he recovers and realizes how much was raised he will be overwhelmed ...

Based on the wording of his mission you can tell he is a quality young man , sure hope he survives and continues to be able to be impactful in the community