Thread: Najee is Digest Player of the Week

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Najee is Digest Player of the Week

He had the most carries; he finished with the most yards and averaged 5.0 per attempt. In the fourth quarter plus the last 46 seconds of the third quarter, a span where the Steelers offense had three possessions and used those to erase a 13-6 deficit in what ended up being a 16-13 victory over the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium, he carried 7 times for 45 yards and caught 2 passes for 12 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown that proved to be the game-winner.

Najee Harris was the best running back on the field, and he is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Kenny Pickett, who completed 15-of-27 (55.6 percent) for 168 yards, with 1 touchdown, no interceptions, and a rating of 86.7; Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was in on 9 tackles ............

Read more @ Harris is Digest Player of the Week (steelers.com)

Najee made Franco proud last night!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Najee is Digest Player of the Week

There has been a different Harris running the ball the second half of the season. It’s the Harris I signed up for when he was drafted…an angry physical runner and it’s been pleasant to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There has been a different Harris running the ball the second half of the season. It’s the Harris I signed up for when he was drafted…an angry physical runner and it’s been pleasant to watch.
    I think he is more healthy too.This is also one of the only time the steelers have a 2 very good RB and that they used both under Tomlin...They had DeAngelo Williams and Bell at one point but Bell was always on the field when he was healthy or not suspended!
    Last edited by polamalubeast; 01-02-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Najee and Warren are looking to be a great 1-2 punch.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think he is more healthy too.This is also one of the only time the steelers have a 2 very good RB and that they used both under Tomlin...They had DeAngelo Williams and Bell at one point but Bell was always on the field when he was healthy or not suspended!
    Yes, it's good he is using both backs. Different styles and the defense has to adjust and both were pounding the ball. Really good to see.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Warren will keep Harris on his toes. That is a good thing.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The most rushing yards against the Ravens by any team in 25 years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Imagine if they could find a THIRD RB. Along the lines of what McFarland was intended to be. Bash and batter teams with Harris and Warren, then slash them with raw speed.

Greedy, I know. But it would be neato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Imagine if they could find a THIRD RB. Along the lines of what McFarland was intended to be. Bash and batter teams with Harris and Warren, then slash them with raw speed.

True but at this point I am just happy they use now 2 RBs that just 1 RB like it was the case for so many year....James Conner would been much better and healthy if he had a backup as Warren when Conner was with us

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Well deserved, he balled out
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Something like the NY Giants Earth Wind and Fire set of RBs. Jacobs Bradshaw Ward.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Something like the NY Giants Earth Wind and Fire set of RBs. Jacobs Bradshaw Ward.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
    Side Note: Fred White (Earth Wind Fire Drummer) just passed.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I’ve been more optimistic than some that Najee would indeed turn out to be EXACTLY the RB we thought we drafted, and others here have already pointed out the key factors that have come together to allow it:

Health: I’m convinced that he was absolutely not 100% for a good part of the season.

Warren: spelling Najee here and there with another RB who can also catch AND BLOCK has done much to keep Najee fresh at the end of games, which has quite possibly turned defeats into victories. Also less wear and tear on Najee benefits his overall ability to contribute late in the season and will extend his career.

Blocking: unless you’re Barry Sanders you need SOME degree of competent blocking to succeed against NFL defenses. The O-line has absolutely improved over the year, probably at least somewhat due to continuity in the unit throughout the season.

I love Najee’s personality and overall approach to the game. I’m optimistic that he’ll not only be the productive back we’ve yearned for, but a great leader for this team going forward.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I still wouldn't give Najee as second contract and I still think Warren is likely better, but I'm happy with his performance Sunday and hope he plays as well against the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I still wouldn't give Najee as second contract and I still think Warren is likely better, but I'm happy with his performance Sunday and hope he plays as well against the Browns.
    depends how big it is... that's what she said
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

What if he keeps playing the way he has and continues to improve under a new OC??

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What if he keeps playing the way he has and continues to improve under a new OC??
    I would not give a second contract to an RB unless it was an early extension and it was an RB like Chubb or Henry. Even with them, I’d be modest. The wheels come off of RBs after about 1500 touches.

still 2 years left(plus a team option,so this could be 3) in his contract after this year...Many thing can happen from now...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    still 2 years left(plus a team option,so this could be 3) in his contract after this year...Many thing can happen from now...
    Like hopefully him getting his YPC over 4.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Congratulations to Najee. Well deserved.

Like hopefully him getting his YPC over 4.
    Well, with the O line finally coming together, that'll most likely happen. I'm always surprised at how people forget that a RB can't run through 11 defensive players. He needs blockers and this year, there wasn't much of that (plus injury on top of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Well, with the O line finally coming together, that'll most likely happen. I'm always surprised at how people forget that a RB can't run through 11 defensive players. He needs blockers and this year, there wasn't much of that (plus injury on top of it).
    I hope so too. But if you isolated on Najee you would see plenty of missed holes where he was slow getting there or went another way. I'm optimistic about the last game though. I also think having Warren getting 10-12 carries a game helps Najee.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I hope so too. But if you isolated on Najee you would see plenty of missed holes where he was slow getting there or went another way. I'm optimistic about the last game though. I also think having Warren getting 10-12 carries a game helps Najee.
    I'm curious, do you give Najee any credit for his performance last week? Or still doubtful or pessimistic of him?

You have been down on his /YPC and last week he averaged 5.0 yards. That is good. You were doubtful of him rushing for 100 yards in a game and he ran for 111 yards. You point out that you see him missed holes, but we really dont get the end zone view of what his options were and whether he chose to go North-South at times rather than look for C-gap.

I ask because it kind of sounds the same as when Pickett has a good performance and some of his doubters point out that he didnt throw for much yardage, or he isnt completing passes at a 60% rate. Which you seem to have taken exception with.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'm curious, do you give Najee any credit for his performance last week? Or still doubtful or pessimistic of him?

You have been down on his /YPC and last week he averaged 5.0 yards. That is good. You were doubtful of him rushing for 100 yards in a game and he ran for 111 yards. You point out that you see him missed holes, but we really dont get the end zone view of what his options were and whether he chose to go North-South at times rather than look for C-gap.

I ask because it kind of sounds the same as when Pickett has a good performance and some of his doubters point out that he didnt throw for much yardage, or he isnt completing passes at a 60% rate. Which you seem to have taken exception with.
    I absolutely said that I was optimistic about his performance last week. The last thing I want to be is that guy who never acknowledges a good performance because it conflicts with my narrative. I still wouldn’t pay him for a second contract at a huge raise. That’s just my philosophy on running backs.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I absolutely said that I was optimistic about his performance last week. The last thing I want to be is that guy who never acknowledges a good performance because it conflicts with my narrative. I still wouldn’t pay him for a second contract at a huge raise. That’s just my philosophy on running backs.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. Thankfully he is still a couple seasons away from his 2nd contract and the Steelers can always pick up his 5th year option if they want, but I havent been a fan of paying big money for a RB in a while. I think having at least 2 guys to share the carries and invest more up front in the O line is a better way to do things than paying big for a RB.

Still, I like what the young man brings in character, leadership and physical running when he is healthy. I was worried the foot issue was going to relegate him to Duce Staley 2.0

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Najee is more rested... fresher later in the season. Thank you, Jalen Warren!!!

2021: most touches by a RB
    2022: 13th most touches by a RB

Does that matter?
    Since the bye week, Najee is second in yards after contact (Josh Jacobs is #1, and Nick Chubb is #3).

If you trust PFF.....

Highest graded running back since Week 13:

�� Najee Harris - 84.4