Thread: 2023 Draft Thread for ILB

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

2023 Draft Thread for ILB

Who could be available in the next draft and who could help the Steelers, whether this is in the first or second round?

It's another big need for the steelers with the CB, DL and OL

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2023 Draft Thread for ILB

Jack Campbell Iowa, 6'5"-245LBs.

Tommy Eichenberg OSU, 6'2"-240LBs.

Drew Sanders Arkansas, 6'4"-245LBs.

Noah Sewell Oregon, 6'3"-250LBs.

I can't meet your 1st/2nd round requirement just yet. Still a lot of testing needed. These 4 ILBs meet the size and physicality I would like to see at this position though.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Who could be available in the next draft and who could help the Steelers, whether this is in the first or second round?

It's another big need for the steelers with the CB, DL and OL
    Depends on where we land in the upcoming draft. If Sewell is there then grab him but that’s a long shot. I’m going trenches with my first pick if Porter is gone. I’m taking LB with one of my 2nd round picks. If Sanders is there I’m taking him with one of my 2nd’s. Love the kid from Baylor, Ika to plug in the middle as a run stuffer. There are a few scenarios but I have my guys who I like in fall back situations during the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

SirVocea Dennis from Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    SirVocea Dennis from Pitt
    He will be at the Senior Bowl.

Nolan Smith 6'3"-235LBs Georgia.

Smith played at OLB/Edge at GA and is considered a very strong run defender that needs to develop as a pass rusher. My immediate thought is Lawrence Timmons 2.0. Maybe not a 1st round guy like Timmons but a real value at 31-40, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Nolan Smith 6'3"-235LBs Georgia.

Smith played at OLB/Edge at GA and is considered a very strong run defender that needs to develop as a pass rusher. My immediate thought is Lawrence Timmons 2.0. Maybe not a 1st round guy like Timmons but a real value at 31-40, IMO.
    Smith is gonna be a heck of a player he just needs a little time to finish putting it all together and I do not think he has as far to go as many seem to think and I to am an advocate of kicking him inside to take advantage of that thumper mentality he has and he has enough speed and athleticism to play sideline to sideline and a frame that would let him pack on 10-15 more pounds without hurting his quickness IMO...

I would love this pick at the 35-40 range
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Pretty early in the evaluation process for me, but I'm really starting to lean towards Drew Sanders if they take one early. 17 is too early for me, but the 2nd round seems like a good fit.

Patrick Queen went 28 a couple years ago, and I don't see Sanders on that level, but every year is different.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    Pretty early in the evaluation process for me, but I'm really starting to lean towards Drew Sanders if they take one early. 17 is too early for me, but the 2nd round seems like a good fit.
    Nice

And, welcome.

Jack Campbell highlights....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnp1VOvwi8

I'm actually starting to think this could be the pick at 17. The DB class is really deep this year. The OT class is not so deep but the IOL class seems to be. Jack Campbell is huge, moves well in space and coverage, and is one of the best tacklers in college football.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I'm actually starting to think this could be the pick at 17. The DB class is really deep this year. The OT class is not so deep but the IOL class seems to be. Jack Campbell is huge, moves well in space and coverage, and is one of the best tacklers in college football.
    I like him too but not at pick #17! In round three, heck yes.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Tommy Eichenburg is returning to tOSU for 2023 I think I saw.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He sure would be on my chalkboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He sure would be on my chalkboard!
    I've seen him compared with Urlacher and Singletary. Maybe the Bears should draft him? He definitely has the ILB skillset, I would love to see him wearing the black and gold.

A player like Trenton Simpson or Nolan Smith seem more likely to get the first round nod over Jack Campbell probably. I totally think he will be available.

With the recent signings at ILB we now have a room of Marcus Robinson, Cole Holcomb, and Elandon Roberts. I don't 'think' those signings are to keep Campbell, Sanders, or Sewell as high priority. I am still leaning toward Nolan Smith, Trenton Simpson, or SirVocea Dennis as possible draft targets. Going to need to dig a little deeper into the draft pool.

I would follow the Aaron Curry trail, but other than a mid-rounder in Dorian Williams (Tulane), he went to Wisconsin a week later possibly to see Nasty Nate's younger brother Nick Herbig who at 6'2" 240 may be viewed as an ILB after playing OLB for the Badgers.

I think the 3rd or 4th round will go towards an ILB pick unfortunately as I like Campbell or Sanders, and they'll go way earlier than that.

Scout Kelvin Fisher has also been at a lot of the LBers Pro Days and he came from the west coast tour to Iowa. Field of Dreams tour? Maybe.

Or he wanted to see Jack Campbell in person after seeing the others.....