Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 more loss

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 1 more loss

Wow, the doom and gloom we have is crazy right now. If I listened to most of you we wouldnt have a winning team for the next decade. We are 3-4 players from contending for the AFC right now. Look around and you will see there are no elite teams. We should have beat the Jets and they split with the Bills. KC no longer has Hill, so they are vulnerable against good defenses. We were one OC away from contending this season (I completely blame 4 losses on the offensive gameplan). That would put us at 4 losses and the top 2 teams in the AFC have 3 losses. Our OL is playing much better, and are probably 2 players away from being top 10. We need a top CB and an upgrade at ILB for next season. We get that for next season, and upgrade our OC and we will be contending for the AFCN next year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Wow, the doom and gloom we have is crazy right now. If I listened to most of you we wouldnt have a winning team for the next decade. We are 3-4 players from contending for the AFC right now. Look around and you will see there are no elite teams. We should have beat the Jets and they split with the Bills. KC no longer has Hill, so they are vulnerable against good defenses. We were one OC away from contending this season (I completely blame 4 losses on the offensive gameplan). That would put us at 4 losses and the top 2 teams in the AFC have 3 losses. Our OL is playing much better, and are probably 2 players away from being top 10. We need a top CB and an upgrade at ILB for next season. We get that for next season, and upgrade our OC and we will be contending for the AFCN next year.
    And the Steelers are on the "easy mode" part of their roster construction. They don't have to pay anyone on offense for a season or so. The other big AFC teams are staring down big $$$ extensions for key players in that same window. Makes it harder for them and easier for the Steelers in rounding out a roster.

This is all just the ups and downs of the NFL when you don't have a HOF caliber QB under contract.

Everyone...it is going to be okay....just go to your zen place...and enjoy the fact that KP isn't Sam Darnold and that Watt and Fitzpatrick are more pieces than many have to build around.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    3 of his players(White,Milano and Dawkins) were drafted by the Bills in 2017 by their current front office

The current talent of the steelers is not way worst that what the Bills had before the 2017 offseason.We can said the same about the 49ers and Jimmy G is not a elite QB....A great front office find a way to be good very quick
    The Steelers front office was hamstrung the past couple seasons by the Ben Roethlisberger contract and trying to surround him with skill players so that they could "make one last run while Ben still gives them a shot". The seemingly missing on mid round picks like Kendrick Green and Dan Moore up front have not helped things and the reliance on aging veterans like Joe Haden and Tyson Alualu just prolonged the roster of declining talent.

Sure, if Pickett can be an average QB next year and the Steelers get some Offensive and Defensive linemen in the draft, they can turn things around fairly soon, but I still think its another 2 years before they challenge the Ravens and Bengals for the AFC North. and its not often that 3 teams from the same division make playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Steelers front office was hamstrung the past couple seasons by the Ben Roethlisberger contract and trying to surround him with skill players so that they could "make one last run while Ben still gives them a shot". The seemingly missing on mid round picks like Kendrick Green and Dan Moore up front have not helped things and the reliance on aging veterans like Joe Haden and Tyson Alualu just prolonged the roster of declining talent.

Sure, if Pickett can be an average QB next year and the Steelers get some Offensive and Defensive linemen in the draft, they can turn things around fairly soon, but I still think its another 2 years before they challenge the Ravens and Bengals for the AFC North. and its not often that 3 teams from the same division make playoffs.
    2 years,I agree but not 5 years

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The thing is that if they dont hit a lot of their draft picks, it could take 5 years. Guys like Highsmith, Minkah, TJ, Muth, Pickens will all take up cap space around the time that some draft picks of the next 2 seasons start becoming seasoned NFL players.

If Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson keep playing good football, the North could be a tough place to compete for playoff spots.

The thing is that if they dont hit a lot of their draft picks, it could take 5 years. Guys like Highsmith, Minkah, TJ, Muth, Pickens will all take up cap space around the time that some draft picks of the next 2 seasons start becoming seasoned NFL players.

If Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson keep playing good football, the North could be a tough place to compete for playoff spots.
    I agree but we can say that about all the teams in the same position that the steelers right now....Great front office are very good in the drafts, so I hope that will be the case for Khan, since in the last few years, Colbert was not the same GM that he was in his first 15 years or so

I agree but we can say that about all the teams in the same position that the steelers right now....Great front office are very good in the drafts, so I hope that will be the case for Khan, since in the last few years, Colbert was not the same GM that he was in his first 15 years or so
    Everybody puts the draft on the GM, but there is an entire scouting department that is part of the evaluation process and also coaching staff that has input during the pre draft process.

I am thinking that the Steelers should still have a top 8 pick in the draft, but the mind blowing question that will happen in the spring is ....What if CJ Stroud is on the board when the Steelers pick?

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Everybody puts the draft on the GM, but there is an entire scouting department that is part of the evaluation process and also coaching staff that has input during the pre draft process.

I am thinking that the Steelers should still have a top 8 pick in the draft, but the mind blowing question that will happen in the spring is ....What if CJ Stroud is on the board when the Steelers pick?
    I honestly think Pickett will be a good QB. I wouldn't pick Stroud with our first rounder personally.

I say rebuilding the trenches (on both sides) should be the #1 priority, and the Ravens game just made that obvious as day.

Pickett won't have a long career if we don't make an investment to protect him, and his injury yesterday was the result of the line allowing pressure literally right after the snap of the ball. Totally unacceptable.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    I honestly think Pickett will be a good QB. I wouldn't pick Stroud with our first rounder personally.

I say rebuilding the trenches (on both sides) should be the #1 priority, and the Ravens game just made that obvious as day.

Pickett won't have a long career if we don't make an investment to protect him, and his injury yesterday was the result of the line allowing pressure literally right after the snap of the ball. Totally unacceptable.
    The fun part of the process will be that ZERO of us has any influence on who the Steelers pick, when and why in the draft. Whether it be OL, DL, OLB, QB. But 90% of fans will get so invested and think they have the answer, when the probably are wiring houses and driving truck for a living.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

The fun part of the process will be that ZERO of us has any influence on who the Steelers pick, when and why in the draft. Whether it be OL, DL, OLB, QB. But 90% of fans will get so invested and think they have the answer, when the probably are wiring houses and driving truck for a living.
    True that, I never really get overly worked up about what I think is a bad pick, but it's entertaining to see the people that do.

If youn talk about the QB of Ohio State,I don't believe much in him

If youn talk about the QB of Ohio State,I don't believe much in him
    OK, but that is really a hypothetical. There will most likely be a QB that is going to be on the board when the Steelers pick and they will be touted as much better than Pickett. Anthony Richardson from Florida is going to get a ton of hype.

I think there is a chance that the Cardinals can win a few of their finishing games and depending on how long Pickett is out of action, the Steelers could end up with the #7 overall pick by the time the season is over. Havent picked that high in a real long time.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I hope the Steelers don’t go to the QB well again, too many vital holes to fill, that were painfully neglected last couple years, mainly LT, LG, and with the departure of Tuitt, DE

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

For it to be less, they need to start hitting on more than one or two draft picks and free agent signings. The more they miss, the more needs open up. Cam is going to be a need in - couple seasons, Alualu will be a need sooner than later, no MLBs. If they miss, it could certainly take 5 seasons…and that’s just the defensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

OK, but that is really a hypothetical. There will most likely be a QB that is going to be on the board when the Steelers pick and they will be touted as much better than Pickett. Anthony Richardson from Florida is going to get a ton of hype.

I think there is a chance that the Cardinals can win a few of their finishing games and depending on how long Pickett is out of action, the Steelers could end up with the #7 overall pick by the time the season is over. Havent picked that high in a real long time.
    Maybe 1987 with Rod Woodson?!

The steelers were 15-4-1 in one score game in 2020 and 2021....This year,they don't have the same luck even if this is not awful...

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/12/th...medium=twitter

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I wouldn’t say that is luck. Thats just being better then they are now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The steelers were 15-4-1 in one score game in 2020 and 2021....This year,they don't have the same luck even if this is not awful...

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/12/th...medium=twitter
    Regression to the mean comes for everyone.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You guys are borrowing troubles.

FO has traditionally been patient, because they both had to be and could be.

Recently, not so much.

Green sucked and he’s nailed to the bench. Claypool kept doing Claypool things and they traded him. Witherspoon sucked and got benched. Maulet plays less and less snaps. They traded for Jack. Etc.

Every indication is that a post Ben R and the boys is going to be an aggressive approach.
    I definitely agree with this they have made more inside and outside moves the last 3 years than I ever expected

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I definitely agree with this they have made more inside and outside moves the last 3 years than I ever expected

That stuff is all the same kind of things they’ve been doing for years. It’s not anything more aggressive than they’ve done in the past. Maybe trading Claypool in the middle of the season. Other than that, it’s really the same bullshit low budget moves they always make. Some workout, others do not but it’s definitely not ground breaking for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That stuff is all the same kind of things they’ve been doing for years. It’s not anything more aggressive than they’ve done in the past. Maybe trading Claypool in the middle of the season. Other than that, it’s really the same bullshit low budget moves they always make. Some workout, others do not but it’s definitely not ground breaking for this team.
    Daniels was one of the most expensive guards signed in FA?

I think they spent like 80 million on the offensive line. That’s not business as usual.

Daniels was one of the most expensive guards signed in FA?

I think they spent like 80 million on the offensive line. That’s not business as usual.
    Yeah it is. It’s middle of the road free agent signings. It’s pretty much what they do. They just happened to do a few of them.

Yeah it is. It’s middle of the road free agent signings. It’s pretty much what they do. They just happened to do a few of them.
    Wasn’t Daniels like the top rated guard? I don’t remember.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

RB will be a need by the time they fill other positions.
    it was a BRILLANT move drafting a RB in the 1st round when the Oline was a total shit show.

not saying oline should have been the pick that year, but taking a RB was just moronic when there was so many other needs.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

nope...Brandon Scherff snagged by the jags.

I thought he was but maybe Sherff was. But it wasn’t a great group of guards to begin with IMO. The bonus was that the Daniels signing was a very team friendly deal. I wouldn’t say this was a deal much better than what they normally sign in the past. It’s a typical Steelers move.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    it was a BRILLANT move drafting a RB in the 1st round when the Oline was a total shit show.

not saying oline should have been the pick that year, but taking a RB was just moronic when there was so many other needs.
    Taking a RB in the first round is always moronic.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Mincak was not a typical Steelers move . I realize that was made in a win now situation, but it still shows they are willing to try thinking outside the box

Merry Christmas

I thought he was but maybe Sherff was. But it wasn’t a great group of guards to begin with IMO. The bonus was that the Daniels signing was a very team friendly deal. I wouldn’t say this was a deal much better than what they normally sign in the past. It’s a typical Steelers move.
    I get that you’re angry and frustrated but if the Steelers sign one of the top rated FAs at a position for the first time in forever, it’s still not “business as usual”.

If on top of that, Khan was able to get this highly rated FA to agree to a team friendly deal - how is that somehow a bad thing.

And all FA classes are bad. That’s why their allowed to hit FA.

The harsh reality is that they have changed their approach but it’s still yielding uneven and slow results. Because that’s how this works. There is no magic wand.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Mincak was not a typical Steelers move . I realize that was made in a win now situation, but it still shows they are willing to try thinking outside the box

Honestly that was a smart move. Trading a 1st round pick for a known great player who was still on his rookie contract. I just considered that to be getting our 1st round pick a year early. I make that move whether rebuilding OR in win now mode.