Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the Steelers really improving, or playing sub-par competition?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Are the Steelers really improving, or playing sub-par competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I get the defense was bad. But this is a game lost by 2 points. With a blocked FG, two red zone turnovers, and another INT for fun.

So turn those into 9 points, Steelers win by 7?

This is a good play by Calais Campbell and a Trubisky away from being a different conversation.
    If Trubisky doesnt throw away those 2 and the Steelers get FG's, then its 6 points and the Ravens likely play more aggressive in the red zone on other possessions rather than settle for the Tucker FG's.

Its what he needed to do in order to keep the pressure on and keep the game closer. Like if it was 13-13 at half that is great, but the Ravens would just continue to pound the ball on the ground to get the lead and try to manage the game with their 3rd string QB in the game. So when they are up 13-7 and 16-7, it just becomes a coaching process of managing the game with defense and running game.

The game wasnt really as close as the score indicated.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Ravens never trailed in the game and you can bet their gameplan was to play good defense and run the football, not put the game on the arm of their backup QB. They did that. They never had to rely on their QB to throw the ball and win the game, while the Steelers had to do that because they lost the battle at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the football.

So are the Steelers improving? Not really, they are limited by their below average Offensive line and their below average and aging Defensive line.
    well stated, this sums it up perfectly.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Our starting QB was knocked out of the game early and TJ was ineffective, playing injured. You can’t assess improvement in this game.

the ravens may be better in the trenches than us, but if KP is not injured and we win this game by a touchdown or more, yeah, i would say we are steadily improving overall - as a team. But injuries at key positions make an evaluation impossible - the only evaluation we could make today is that Trubisky should not be our backup
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 12-12-2022 at 12:13 AM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Those FGs would’ve been blocked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I get the defense was bad. But this is a game lost by 2 points. With a blocked FG, two red zone turnovers, and another INT for fun.

So turn those into 9 points, Steelers win by 7?

This is a good play by Calais Campbell and a Trubisky away from being a different conversation.
    The score were close but they lost this game even if the ravens had zero passing game in this game....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If Trubisky doesnt throw away those 2 and the Steelers get FG's, then its 6 points and the Ravens likely play more aggressive in the red zone on other possessions rather than settle for the Tucker FG's.

Its what he needed to do in order to keep the pressure on and keep the game closer. Like if it was 13-13 at half that is great, but the Ravens would just continue to pound the ball on the ground to get the lead and try to manage the game with their 3rd string QB in the game. So when they are up 13-7 and 16-7, it just becomes a coaching process of managing the game with defense and running game.

The game wasnt really as close as the score indicated.
    That is one very likely outcome. Another, is that the Steelers defense holds the score to what it was. The Ravens were not exactly lighting it up in the redzone either. The Steelers did that usual thing they do when they are losing the LOS battle but they stiffened in the red zone. Makes sense. Most teams do and offense is really hard to run the further down the field you go.

I still remain convinced that when you take 9+ points off the board and give the team the ball 3 times, it really doesn't matter what you defense does. That is where you lost the game.

Now, the defense is in need of reinforcements along the DL and at ILB. The Ravens and like 4 other teams exposed that. And I think this is not news to anyone. Well, apparently a few posters here...but Adams, Alualu, Bush, and an injured Jack are not the core of a vaunted run stuffing unit.

That is one very likely outcome. Another, is that the Steelers defense holds the score to what it was. The Ravens were not exactly lighting it up in the redzone either. The Steelers did that usual thing they do when they are losing the LOS battle but they stiffened in the red zone. Makes sense. Most teams do and offense is really hard to run the further down the field you go.

I still remain convinced that when you take 9+ points off the board and give the team the ball 3 times, it really doesn't matter what you defense does. That is where you lost the game.

Now, the defense is in need of reinforcements along the DL and at ILB. The Ravens and like 4 other teams exposed that. And I think this is not news to anyone. Well, apparently a few posters here...but Adams, Alualu, Bush, and an injured Jack are not the core of a vaunted run stuffing unit.
    It's no surprise but it's still very frustrating and painful to watch when you know what the opponent is going to do and you still can't stop it in the important moment of the game....But yes I agree that the turnovers were the reason we lost but the defense didn't do their part at the end of the game when the steelers still had a chance even if the ravens had no threat with their passing game

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Answer is subpar competition…

The steelers are 1-7 this year against team who have a winning record right now.Last year it was 2-6.....2 of his wins were in week 1.Not good

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Answer is subpar competition…
    Pickett is improving. That, for me, is the best case scenario for the season. Hopefully, he plays at least 3 more games and we can go into 2023 with optimism for a playoff run.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Pickett is improving. That, for me, is the best case scenario for the season. Hopefully, he plays at least 3 more games and we can go into 2023 with optimism for a playoff run.
    This is my Christmas wish as well. I hope we end up high enough in the draft to be the top team that DOESN'T need a QB so we get the pick of the litter (Jalen Carter).

Look at our only "good" win against the only winning team, Cincy. We had 5 turnovers, TJ played like a madman and we STILL needed a lucky blocked XP and an injury to Cincy's long snapper to win.

The other wins:

Tampa: Probably our best game all year.
    Saints: They had tons of injuries and probably beat us if healthy. Their whole secondary was out that game.
    Indy: They are a train wreck.
    Atlanta: See Indy

We are NOT a good team but will probably get 1-2 more wins just enough to push us down in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    We are NOT a good team but will probably get 1-2 more wins just enough to push us down in the draft.
    We have some good/great pieces on both sides of the ball. What we need are role guys and another stud or two.

I’m good with that but I really need a new OC in there. If they go to 2023 training camp with Canada, this season was a massive failure…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’m good with that but I really need a new OC in there. If they go to 2023 training camp with Canada, this season was a massive failure…
    It’s all pointless if Canada returns.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Honestly the only reason why I'm watching this season with any enthusiasm is because I want to see how Pickett pans out.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I didn't really expect much this season. I was just hopeful for progress as the season went along. I think I've seen that offensively but defensively I feel like they have regressed

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I didn't really expect much this season. I was just hopeful for progress as the season went along. I think I've seen that offensively but defensively I feel like they have regressed
    Too many injuries on defense. Game 1 was the only one where they showed up healthy, but even still not at 100% since kazee was on IR
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell