Thread: what scares the hell out of me .......

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

what scares the hell out of me .......

is we continue minuscule improvements and get some wins down the stretch and don't fire Canada sighting slow but steady improvement as the reason for standing pat at OC
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: what scares the hell out of me .......

Dude, I thought you were going to say Giant Babies.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    is we continue minuscule improvements and get some wins down the stretch and don't fire Canada sighting slow but steady improvement as the reason for standing pat at OC
    100% agreed, we are now into the soft part of our schedule and it is showing along with KP getting more comfortable with this garbage offense. So it appears to some that we are turning the corner, but again, we should have had another 2 TDs instead of FGs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s what I’ve been saying for a while now. It’s what will happen and the offense will continue to dribble on just getting by and the talents of Harris, watt, Fitzpatrick, freuermuth, Pickens will be wasted year after year…just like Ben, Bryant, bell and brown were.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I understand the fear but I feel it’s unwarranted. Unless Canada has some serious dirt on Tomlin and the Rooneys they have no incentive to hold onto him.

The only way I see it as a possibility is if the offense just starts totally clicking and lighting up the scoreboard for the rest of the season. But if the team limps into a winning record on the strength of the defense and a few successful plays here and there on offense, it won’t be enough to stop the Steelers from seeing that there are much better options to get the most out of our offensive talent going forward.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I understand the fear but I feel it’s unwarranted. Unless Canada has some serious dirt on Tomlin and the Rooneys they have no incentive to hold onto him.

The only way I see it as a possibility is if the offense just starts totally clicking and lighting up the scoreboard for the rest of the season. But if the team limps into a winning record on the strength of the defense and a few successful plays here and there on offense, it won’t be enough to stop the Steelers from seeing that there are much better options to get the most out of our offensive talent going forward.
    Tomlin is stubborn and very slow to change things....usually waiting until he's backed into a corner. If Kenny keeps playing well and we keep running the ball well, regardless of whether it translates into more points on the scoreboard than the 19 we put up today, I could easily see Tomlin holding on to Canada another season. I hope not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...which would then mean another wasted year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Tomlin is stubborn and very slow to change things....usually waiting until he's backed into a corner. If Kenny keeps playing well and we keep running the ball well, regardless of whether it translates into more points on the scoreboard than the 19 we put up today, I could easily see Tomlin holding on to Canada another season. I hope not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...which would then mean another wasted year.
    The wasted years are what hurts most…

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I agree

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    you will get no argument from me

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I get what you’re saying and why, I just think Tomlin is more of a pragmatist than just being irrationally stubborn, especially when it comes to someone he doesn’t really have much of a stake in. I think some of his previous decisions, where he might have erred on the side of not changing if the gamble of change itself didn’t look to be a net upside move to him, could be argued as rational decisions even if we don’t use the same calculus as he does. But holding onto Canada is different. I don’t see the pragmatic upside to keeping him, or the obvious risk in replacing him.

I fully admit that I could be wrong, and if I turn out to be I’ll be just as upset as everyone else. I just think Tomlin will see more upside than downside when it comes to replacing Canada.

I get what you’re saying and why, I just think Tomlin is more of a pragmatist than just being irrationally stubborn, especially when it comes to someone he doesn’t really have much of a stake in. I think some of his previous decisions, where he might have erred on the side of not changing if the gamble of change itself didn’t look to be a net upside move to him, could be argued as rational decisions even if we don’t use the same calculus as he does. But holding onto Canada is different. I don’t see the pragmatic upside to keeping him, or the obvious risk in replacing him.

I fully admit that I could be wrong, and if I turn out to be I’ll be just as upset as everyone else. I just think Tomlin will see more upside than downside when it comes to replacing Canada.
    like at the end of 2021 ?

I mean we got sold a bill of goods that because Ben was a statue the full Canada system could not be installed , now we have since started 2 mobile QBs and to me the offense looks no different than the one Ben was forced to play in , in 2021 ......

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Zeise is awful as always

The 3-1 record since the bye week blind him big time, especially our 3 wins were against all teams with a losing record

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Zeise is awful as always

The 3-1 record since the bye week blind him big time, especially our 3 wins were against all teams with a losing record
    Gotta start somewhere. At least they're winning the 'winnable' games which is a step in the right direction. To take down the bigger fish though, Pickett will have to show he's more than a game manager. I don't see this OL being able to impose the running game on stronger teams.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Gotta start somewhere. At least they're winning the 'winnable' games which is a step in the right direction. To take down the bigger fish though, Pickett will have to show he's more than a game manager. I don't see this OL being able to impose the running game on stronger teams.
    I agree but not a reason to keep Matt Canada in 2023 and after that!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

7-10 or 8-9 by end of the season and it will be spun as a great achievement by Tomlin Canada and the rest of the staff - and they’ll all be back next year.

We may even sneak into a wild card spot next year.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    7-10 or 8-9 by end of the season and it will be spun as a great achievement by Tomlin Canada and the rest of the staff - and they’ll all be back next year.

We may even sneak into a wild card spot next year.
    These late wins make people forget the abysmal games against the Bills,Browns,Eagles. It's a given that no matter what their record will be at the end of the season Tomlin will be as the legendary leader who took a 2-win football team and willed them to greatness. It's almost like Pittsburgh fans and the media forget that the playoffs exist, like a .500 or slightly above record is the crowning achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    These late wins make people forget the abysmal games against the Bills,Browns,Eagles. It's a given that no matter what their record will be at the end of the season Tomlin will be as the legendary leader who took a 2-win football team and willed them to greatness. It's almost like Pittsburgh fans and the media forget that the playoffs exist, like a .500 or slightly above record is the crowning achievement.
    Jeff Fisher has done this for so often and for so many years with the titans....Poor start to start a season but finish 8-8 like in 2006 and 2009

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

like at the end of 2021 ?

I mean we got sold a bill of goods that because Ben was a statue the full Canada system could not be installed , now we have since started 2 mobile QBs and to me the offense looks no different than the one Ben was forced to play in , in 2021 ......

I don't think I can change your mind because I don't have any insight into the situation that you lack, and I admit that your skepticism is totally rational.

But I will say this, just like Tomlin, I think a lot of us were willing to give Canada a chance to run his offense with the kind of QB that supposedly suits his scheme. Tomlin gave him that chance. He failed. He has no excuses now. Which leads me to believe that Tomlin will evaluate based on new information that he didn't have at the end of last season.

It's obvious that Ben's lack of mobility and deteriorating physical skills were not the only things keeping Canada from success. I didn't know that for sure any more than Tomlin did until we all got proof of it this season.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Seems there would be zero risk any year for a team to swap special teams coordinator but Danny remains.

I'm starting to worry about Canada hanging on

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That last win with a touchdown and 5 field goals sure was a resounding endorsement for the Canada offense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That last win with a touchdown and 5 field goals sure was a resounding endorsement for the Canada offense.
    4 FG's ... but still

This is very hard to score TD when you don't have big play....You need a 10 plays drive or over with several 3rd down conversion and no errors to score a TD but Canada don't give them a margin for error.......10 plays drive is maybe good for the steelers defense but not for the offense if you want TD and this strategy will not work against good offensive team since the steelers defense is just terrible this year

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree but not a reason to keep Matt Canada in 2023 and after that!
    Canada isn't going anywhere...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Looks like if we can find a way to win out, we will be in the playoffs and Crapnada is for sure not going anywhere. If that happens, this season will be a total loss.