Thread: Pat Freiermuth is becoming a real problem for opposing defenses.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Pat Freiermuth is becoming a real problem for opposing defenses.

I know he is really liked by most fans, but I'm not sure he is getting as much credit as he deserves for becoming a real problem for defenses.

I have always been a fan, but many have had their doubts about him and don't consider him a difference maker. I believe he has turned the corner and has become a player defenses need to target and gameplan for.

Coming into this game against the Falcons, he was ranked fifth among all NFL TE's in receiving yards. After another big game with an explosive 57 yard catch-and-run, I believe he is becoming one of the best tight ends in the NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pat Freiermuth is becoming a real problem for opposing defenses.

But he can’t block…lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Pat Freiermuth is becoming a real problem for opposing defenses.

Btw,this play was the first play of 50 yards or more in the last 21 games for the steelers!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But he can’t block…lol.

He blocks enough. Of course I want him to continue to improve his blocking and give the effort, but he is making the biggest plays within this terrible offense and is among the league leaders at his position.

Being a league leader in anything positive within this offense is pretty impressive stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Btw,this play was the first play of 50 yards or more in the last 21 games for the steelers!

Who needs those!!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He blocks enough. Of course I want him to continue to improve his blocking and give the effort, but he is making the biggest plays within this terrible offense and is among the league leaders at his position.

Being a league leader in anything positive within this offense is pretty impressive stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Who needs those!!!!
    Exactly. His blocking is serviceable…but he’s not there for that part of his game…

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It’s too bad that Ben only got to play with him at the very end of his career. He is the kind of TE that Ben had really been hoping for since Heath retired.

But it’s nice that Pickett and Muth are starting off together young and will hopefully have the kind of dynamic that Ben had with Heath.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Canada View Post
    Big plays that score points aren't really a necessity in today's game, so I don't think about it that much.
    Directly from the architects mouth.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am interested to see how the fan narrative on PF has started to shift.

He was originally drafted because he was "an all around" TE and would be "an asset" in the run game. This is where my strong comments that his blocking was not up to the level to do that came from.

Now, it seems and I do NOT mean this directed to any specific person, poster, or whatever -- just trying to have a conversation -- that, most fans do not care about his blocking in the least.

I still am not a fan of his blocking results in the running game. BUT...I often see him and other players put in horrible situations by Canada's play design. Not sure anyone makes some of those assignments work.

With the idea that PF's run blocking is below impactful, how does everyone feel about the pick? Is he still the TE you would choose? Or would you choose more of a "move" TE and stick one of those jumped up WRs in his spot instead?

Honestly, leave the blocking aside....there have not been alot of good TEs coming out the past few draft classes. Pitts is a better receiving weapon. Likely is a superior overall athlete. And....haven't seen or heard too much else.

I like the PF pick more and more each week, but not for the original reasons the team and a big portion of the internet did. I do not think he really moves the needle in the running game. But he is a terror in the intermediate passing game.

His blocking is fine for what he is but he’s more of a receiving TE than a blocking TE. You’re very rarely going to find a player that excels at both…VERY rarely. So you get Freiermuth who can play receiver and give defenses match up problems or you get Mark Bruener who could block and on occasion make some nice receptions.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't think blocking is in the TE1's job description anymore. Maybe chipping, but blocking is the TE2's job. PF is doing the things I want to see him do.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Finally we have an OC that uses TE!!! Bravo, Canada!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't think blocking is in the TE1's job description anymore. Maybe chipping, but blocking is the TE2's job. PF is doing the things I want to see him do.
    I suspect that you are correct. And I do not disagree.

I just like to be the cantankerous grouch that I am. I discussed during the draft and pre-draft that PF was not and is not an "impact" blocker in the run game. I was told that I was being ridiculous and that he would "fix" the run game. He is shaping up to be "adequate" at best as a blocker.

Honestly, it doesn't matter because he has far more juice in the passing game than I thought he would. He's really not all that explosive or twitchy...but he still finds ways to get open so that the fact that he doesn't just run past guys isn't a problem. He is going to be a really good TE for several years. But he isn't a blocker. And I just like to be a stubborn ass and remind people of that periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I suspect that you are correct. And I do not disagree.

I just like to be the cantankerous grouch that I am. I discussed during the draft and pre-draft that PF was not and is not an "impact" blocker in the run game. I was told that I was being ridiculous and that he would "fix" the run game. He is shaping up to be "adequate" at best as a blocker.

Honestly, it doesn't matter because he has far more juice in the passing game than I thought he would. He's really not all that explosive or twitchy...but he still finds ways to get open so that the fact that he doesn't just run past guys isn't a problem. He is going to be a really good TE for several years. But he isn't a blocker. And I just like to be a stubborn ass and remind people of that periodically.
    What TEs are great blockers and great pass catchers? I can think of only one that is currently in the NFL that is both good at blocking and a good receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What TEs are great blockers and great pass catchers?
    Nowadays? Maybe none? Maybe Gronk before his back disintegrated and I guess Kittle...other than that I simply don't pay attention enough.

It isn't so much that PF is "flawed" because he isn't a great (or even good) blocker. It is that the reactions and discussion here and other Steelers internet places were a bit over the top. PF wasn't going to be an instant upgrade to the running game.

If we also assume that you just aren't going to find a great pass catcher and a great blocker in the same player anymore...it raises interesting questions about what "type" of player you are looking for at the position. One end of the spectrum is basically a really big slot WR and the other is a player who looks like they are doing TE things but are really there to catch passes.

If Canada was half as clever as he thinks he is...he could use PF and Gentry to keep teams in base defense and then pass all over them. But instead we get TE screens....but that is for another thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Nowadays? Maybe none? Maybe Gronk before his back disintegrated and I guess Kittle...other than that I simply don't pay attention enough.

It isn't so much that PF is "flawed" because he isn't a great (or even good) blocker. It is that the reactions and discussion here and other Steelers internet places were a bit over the top. PF wasn't going to be an instant upgrade to the running game.

If we also assume that you just aren't going to find a great pass catcher and a great blocker in the same player anymore...it raises interesting questions about what "type" of player you are looking for at the position. One end of the spectrum is basically a really big slot WR and the other is a player who looks like they are doing TE things but are really there to catch passes.

If Canada was half as clever as he thinks he is...he could use PF and Gentry to keep teams in base defense and then pass all over them. But instead we get TE screens....but that is for another thread!
    Only one I can think of that is good at both is Kittle as well.