Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diontae Lamarcus Johnson

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: Diontae Lamarcus Johnson

Steelers will not trade DJ and they should not unless some team makes an incredible offer. He has shown an elite ability to get open. He may not be the #1 receiver we hoped he would be as he has some inopportune drops at times, but no way should he be jettisoned as that leaves the Steelers with only Pickens as a viable WR.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    if they could get a high 2nd for johnson, i'd make that trade.
    and we got the 33rd pick!!! best trade ever. trade DJ to houston for that 34th pick

round
    1 -18th
    2- 33rd , 50th
    3 - 82nd
    4- 120th
    5 - no pick (seattle)
    6 - no pick (denver)
    7 - 237th
    Technically we get the 32nd pick since Miami lost its first round pick for tampering.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Technically we get the 32nd pick since Miami lost its first round pick for tampering.
    well sheeeeeit....even better

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

It will still be the first pick of Day 2, right? Which would give our war room 12+ hours to mull the pick over as teegre pointed out - love that idea.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

DJ18 stat line for week 18 .....

2 catches 38 yards on 10 targets ... 20% catch percentage ... I don't know about you but it sure seems like that distribution of the football would be better served elsewhere
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    DJ gets open better than anyone I’ve seen (except for AB), but AAAAARGH!!! he drives me nuts with his inopportune drops and running BACKWARDS!!!
    Hoping with a better Online and a year of growing by KP. As much as DJ gets open it'll be a major improvement even with some drops

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So we can look at DJ's stats (targets, catches, catch %) for 2020 and 2021. They are higher by about 3 and 6 catches respectively. That makes me wonder how much of those could be corrected by KP getting better? DJ hangs on to 2 more and KP places 3 more better and there you go...close to a hundred catch season.

Also...it is hard to ignore how open and how often he was open. There are several staggering breakdowns of how badly DJ is cooking CBs out there on the internets.

An improved series of play designs coupled with faster recognition and delivery by KP added to continued work by DJ on his game....could (should?) equal an explosive 2023!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So we can look at DJ's stats (targets, catches, catch %) for 2020 and 2021. They are higher by about 3 and 6 catches respectively. That makes me wonder how much of those could be corrected by KP getting better? DJ hangs on to 2 more and KP places 3 more better and there you go...close to a hundred catch season.

Also...it is hard to ignore how open and how often he was open. There are several staggering breakdowns of how badly DJ is cooking CBs out there on the internets.

An improved series of play designs coupled with faster recognition and delivery by KP added to continued work by DJ on his game....could (should?) equal an explosive 2023!
    You mean like the "explosive" 2021 and 2022 seasons he had? It doesn't matter who many CB's he cooks if he can't come down with the ball.

Even if Kenny Pickett's ball placement improved and threw perfect passes every time to DJ, all the DB has even a position or even gets a hand on DJ, he's not coming down with it. DJ needs to be absolutely WIDE OPEN to catch the ball. He's the WR version of Trubisky. It needs to be perfect or nothing happens.

DJ just doesn't have the mindset of a playmaker. He is who he is. Suitable, but not great. The Steelers need to bolster their WR corps this offseason with a guy opposite George Pickens.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    You mean like the "explosive" 2021 and 2022 seasons he had? It doesn't matter who many CB's he cooks if he can't come down with the ball.

Even if Kenny Pickett's ball placement improved and threw perfect passes every time to DJ, all the DB has even a position or even gets a hand on DJ, he's not coming down with it. DJ needs to be absolutely WIDE OPEN to catch the ball. He's the WR version of Trubisky. It needs to be perfect or nothing happens.

DJ just doesn't have the mindset of a playmaker. He is who he is. Suitable, but not great. The Steelers need to bolster their WR corps this offseason with a guy opposite George Pickens.
    One could argue that if he is suitable and catches 100 passes -- that's gonna work with Pickens and the other weapons. The Steelers are currently not even suitable at other key positions (LT, LG, DT, ILB x 2, CB x 2, DE, insert whatever else here). There is a long list, for me, before I even worry about WR.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

One could argue that if he is suitable and catches 100 passes -- that's gonna work with Pickens and the other weapons. The Steelers are currently not even suitable at other key positions (LT, LG, DT, ILB x 2, CB x 2, DE, insert whatever else here). There is a long list, for me, before I even worry about WR.

many would disagree ....

a front 7 played outstanding down the stretch outside of 1 game vs the run

a backend who led the nfl in interceptions , turnovers offset a lot ....

a mobile QB in the finale who couldnt get out of his own way and was sacked what 7 times ???

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    may would disagree ....

a front 7 played outstanding down the stretch outside of 1 game vs the run

a backend who led the nfl in interceptions , turnovers offset a lot ....

a mobile QB in the finale who couldnt get out of his own way and was sacked what 7 times ???
    The front 7 held up when they had to ONLY play run or ONLY play pass. Line up in those funky 6 man fronts against an actual functional offense. Spillane can not be asked to repeatedly play coverage. He allowed several completions and took a penalty against a dysfunctional Browns offense. I really like Jack...but he hasn't been able to run most of the second half of the season. Either he needs a clean-up surgery or his knee is finally giving out. Adams is a fun guy...but is he a starting DL on a playoff team?

Turn to CBs. Eagles, Bills, and Bengals are EASILY the best passing offenses they faced all season. And outside of the Week 1 meltdown by Burrow, the Steelers got smoked. They don't have guys that can hang with the big time #1 WR's that roam the NFL. Even against Carolina, DJ Moore was having his way with the DBs. They are excellent at making plays on the ball when they can...but they are not excellent in coverage.

As for the left side of the OL...look at how many penalties Dotson took and how many times he missed blocks. Then, I like Moore, but take a look at pass pro snaps against good to really good pass rushers....Moore gets beat quick and Pickett knows it. Dan Moore's play negatively impacted the 2022 passing game. Either he needs to get better or the position needs an upgrade.

The front 7 held up when they had to ONLY play run or ONLY play pass. Line up in those funky 6 man fronts against an actual functional offense. Spillane can not be asked to repeatedly play coverage. He allowed several completions and took a penalty against a dysfunctional Browns offense. I really like Jack...but he hasn't been able to run most of the second half of the season. Either he needs a clean-up surgery or his knee is finally giving out. Adams is a fun guy...but is he a starting DL on a playoff team?

Turn to CBs. Eagles, Bills, and Bengals are EASILY the best passing offenses they faced all season. And outside of the Week 1 meltdown by Burrow, the Steelers got smoked. They don't have guys that can hang with the big time #1 WR's that roam the NFL. Even against Carolina, DJ Moore was having his way with the DBs. They are excellent at making plays on the ball when they can...but they are not excellent in coverage.

As for the left side of the OL...look at how many penalties Dotson took and how many times he missed blocks. Then, I like Moore, but take a look at pass pro snaps against good to really good pass rushers....Moore gets beat quick and Pickett knows it. Dan Moore's play negatively impacted the 2022 passing game. Either he needs to get better or the position needs an upgrade.
    Dan Moore may be more of a LG than a LT and that perhaps solves have of the perceived problem on the left side of the line ....

Dan Moore may be more of a LG than a LT and that perhaps solves have of the perceived problem on the left side of the line ....
    Who plays LT then? I would certainly want to spend resources there before WR if Moore is kicking inside.

I would not want to start the season with a pairing of Spillane and Robinson. Need at least one front line guy there. Maybe two. Again...I would want to spend resources there before WR.

CB...I know we disagree. I have seen enough of Witherspoon, Pierre, and Maulet. I don't want any of those 3 higher than 4 on my depth chart. That leaves Wallace and Sutton for 3 spots. So, again, I would rather devote resources here before WR.

DL. Heyward, Leal, and Adams. That is all I think the team can count on for 2023+. Who know is Ogunjobi wants back. Who knows if Wormley can get healthy in time. Who knows if Loudermilk can play enough snaps - the Steelers don't seem to think so. DL likely needs 2+ players.

That is some significant roster holes to patch before I even think about WR. Diontae Johnson is least of the off-season problems. And aside from RB, WR might be the most "figured out" position. It should certainly be the easiest to find servicable depth guys at. WR is the most well stocked position almost every draft class.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who plays LT then? I would certainly want to spend resources there before WR if Moore is kicking inside.

I would not want to start the season with a pairing of Spillane and Robinson. Need at least one front line guy there. Maybe two. Again...I would want to spend resources there before WR.

CB...I know we disagree. I have seen enough of Witherspoon, Pierre, and Maulet. I don't want any of those 3 higher than 4 on my depth chart. That leaves Wallace and Sutton for 3 spots. So, again, I would rather devote resources here before WR.

DL. Heyward, Leal, and Adams. That is all I think the team can count on for 2023+. Who know is Ogunjobi wants back. Who knows if Wormley can get healthy in time. Who knows if Loudermilk can play enough snaps - the Steelers don't seem to think so. DL likely needs 2+ players.

That is some significant roster holes to patch before I even think about WR. Diontae Johnson is least of the off-season problems. And aside from RB, WR might be the most "figured out" position. It should certainly be the easiest to find servicable depth guys at. WR is the most well stocked position almost every draft class.
    Is WR figured out though? Really there’s only one dependable WR on the roster and do we know how he will handle double teams if he’s deemed by defenses to be the Top Threat? I’d say it’s a HUGE question mark…maybe even more than the OL at this stage.

Really Diontae Johnson is a current new and shiny version of Marvin Jones Jr at this point. Good route runner, can’t make catches. Far from dependable.

Sims, Gunner, Boykin (moreso special teams than WR).

CAIII…meh…

Anthony Miller? Go away…

So let’s easy Diontae Johnson, for argument sake is the same guy he’s been the last two seasons. Defenses double George Pickens…what do you have left? Freiermuth (cover him with a safety) and what else?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is WR figured out though? Really there’s only one dependable WR on the roster and do we know how he will handle double teams if he’s deemed by defenses to be the Top Threat? I’d say it’s a HUGE question mark…maybe even more than the OL at this stage.

Really Diontae Johnson is a current new and shiny version of Marvin Jones Jr at this point. Good route runner, can’t make catches. Far from dependable.

CAIII…meh…

Anthony Miller? Go away…

So let’s easy Diontae Johnson, for argument sake is the same guy he’s been the last two seasons. Defenses double George Pickens…what do you have left? Freiermuth (cover him with a safety) and what else?
    Say all that’s true. You need a slot WR and some backups. It’s never been easier to find quality WRs in the draft and off season.

I’m just not worried about it. Go ahead use one of the first 3-4 picks on one. No problem.

But I’m just not concerned or really looking to make a big splash.

People were already angry that not enough passes were going to this place or that place. Adding another “premium “ guy doesn’t help that.

It’s time to stock the cupboard at other spots.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Diontae Lamarcus Johnson

Say all that’s true. You need a slot WR and some backups. It’s never been easier to find quality WRs in the draft and off season.

I’m just not worried about it. Go ahead use one of the first 3-4 picks on one. No problem.

But I’m just not concerned or really looking to make a big splash.

People were already angry that not enough passes were going to this place or that place. Adding another “premium “ guy doesn’t help that.

It’s time to stock the cupboard at other spots.
    That’s what I am saying. I don’t think that position is figured out at all.

Good thing being is they can take BPA for the first 3-4 picks and be just fine…

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

DJ has his moments that's for sure. I don't have confidence in him in crunch time, that being said I'm with Mojouw it's time to stock the cupboard with bigger needs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

CAIII…meh…

Anthony Miller? Go away…

I'm not ready to say goodbye to Sims. I thought he made some big plays for us.

I understand the caution and low expectation for CAIII after getting burned before by smaller weapons. But he was doing really well before his foot injury by all camp reports. I'm willing to wait and see.

Anthony Miller is done and should retire due to his shoulder issue. He has had multiple surgeries and it still dislocates on him. He just has to 'get it' mentally and emotionally now.

To answer your question though, NO, WR is not figured out. I expect a WR to be drafted somewhere on day2, possibly early day3.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not ready to say goodbye to Sims. I thought he made some big plays for us.

I understand the caution and low expectation for CAIII after getting burned before by smaller weapons. But he was doing really well before his foot injury by all camp reports. I'm willing to wait and see.

Anthony Miller is done and should retire due to his shoulder issue. He has had multiple surgeries and it still dislocates on him. He just has to 'get it' mentally and emotionally now.

To answer your question though, NO, WR is not figured out. I expect a WR to be drafted somewhere on day2, possibly early day3.
    I don’t mind Sims. I like him as a guy and a special teams player but he’s a 4 or 5 at best

Fugue they go 5-6 at the position

Pickens
    Diontae
    CA3
    Sims
    Boykin

So room for one guy on the roster and one guy on the practice squad?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So with one more season of results in the books, what we've got in Johnson is a #2 receiver who can kind of make some plays, for a salary of $13M. I don't know off the top of my head what the going rate is for a good WR2, but if I had to guess, I'd say you probably want to be paying like $8M, $10M max for that. I guess not the worst deal in the world for us, but not a home run either.

I will say that since we moved on from Claypool, we probably would be too thin at WR without Johnson, so I don't see us dumping him any time soon. We had room to move one of them, and that's what we did. Of course, signing or drafting another WR, as well as the possible return of Austin, could change that equation.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

You're numbers are for a #3 WR.

#2 is getting about 12-18 per year.

Jets and Titans are paying Corey Davis and Robert Woods in that range to not get the ball thrown to them. So....it could always be worse...

And whether we like it or not...Johnson is the de facto #1 WR for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Is that English?

Is that English?
    I think so…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think DLJ has a bounce back year in 2023.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Speculation about his future is already starting?

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think DLJ has a bounce back year in 2023.
    yea 3 steeps back after the catch
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Speculation about his future is already starting?
    he cleaned his social media accounts of Steelers ............ trade his ass and use the pick to replace him at a much lower pricetag

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

he cleaned his social media accounts of Steelers ............ trade his ass and use the pick to replace him at a much lower pricetag
    hmm ... I wonder if the "hold-in" was really a warning sign of early-onset Diva Syndrome. Hope we don't have another aspiring Mr. Big Chest on our hands.
    See you Space Cowboy ...