Thread: 2023 Draft Thread for CBs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2023 Draft Thread for CBs

The Steelers CB roster looks like this:

Cam Sutton 2023 UFA
    Levi Wallace - contract doesn't make sense to me. 2023 UFA?
    Ahkello Witherspoon 2024 UFA
    Arthur Maulet 2024 UFA
    James Pierre 2023 RFA
    Josh Jackson 2023 UFA
    William Jackson I/R and contract doesn't make sense to me.

This is UGLY!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2023 Draft Thread for CBs

Kelee Ringo, Georgia
    Peezy Jr., Penn St.
    Devon Witherspoon, Illinois

In that order.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Kelee Ringo, Georgia
    Peezy Jr., Penn St.
    Devon Witherspoon, Illinois

In that order.
    Have you watched any Cam Smith? What was your takeaway? He is very highly rated.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Have you watched any Cam Smith? What was your takeaway? He is very highly rated.
    Haven’t seen him play. His name was abuzz for being very honest (cocky?) after a game. I don’t recall exactly what transpired, but I remember thinking: “Cornerbacks sort of need to be a$$holes.”

Cam Smith CB, S. Carolina, 6'0"-185LBs.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/c...g-report-2023/

I went back to this highlight film to take a 2nd look at a couple things. Looks like what I thought kept happening was all in 1 game vs ECU(purple and gold team). 1 play he hits a man already down in the helmet, another he stands over a WR on the sidelines gesturing down at him, and on a 3rd he's on the ECU sideline facing the bench talking trash. So, a targeting, and 2 taunting penalties that should have been called in 1 game. There is a lot of good on here as well. He wraps at the knees on tackles instead of the 'shoulder nudge'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEDznZgGWA

Game film vs Clemson 2021....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq5IikLZ8J0

Game film vs Vandy 2021....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91zXrD-c8A

I really like his understanding of his assignment on individual plays and his willingness to 'backup others' through that assignment.

^^^Sounds a lot like George Pickens^^^

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    ^^^Sounds a lot like George Pickens^^^
    Interesting.

Interesting.
    Takent, talent, splash play, talent… PENALTY

The more and more I look into Cam Smith the more I like what I see. His 2021 season was so good, teams simply didn't throw his way in 2022 so his numbers look down at first glance. However, his PD numbers are still top10 nationally. With the Bears 2nd round pick I wonder if he could be a 2nd round target for the Steelers. If the Steelers take a CB in the 1st, I'm still leaning toward Joey Porter Jr there. Although with much testing still to be done, Smith could easily move into 1st round range for me as well.

Joey Porter Jr, CB PSU, 6'2"-200LBs.

This is an early 2022 season profile. Will be interesting to compare once the end of season eval gets released.
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...g-report-2023/

Porter vs Garrett Wilson 2021....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5INkAQRa6vQ

Porter vs Purdue 2022....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdx87nh-K0

Joey Porter Jr has declared for the 2023 draft. He is also skipping the bowl game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2023 Draft Thread for CBs

Joey Porter Jr, CB PSU, 6'2"-200LBs.

This is an early 2022 season profile. Will be interesting to compare once the end of season eval gets released.
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...g-report-2023/

Porter vs Garrett Wilson 2021....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5INkAQRa6vQ

Porter vs Purdue 2022....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdx87nh-K0

Joey Porter Jr has declared for the 2023 draft. He is also skipping the bowl game.
    He may be skipping the bowl game because of his appendicitis? But he may have returned to play Michigan State. I can’t remember…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois, 6'1"-180LBs.

vs Michigan 2022. A bit difficult to pick him up pre-snap but still a good film to watch....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYpdWjXSYQ

vs Wyoming 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEi9c_upBwU

Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon, 6'2"-200LBs.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/c...outing-report/

Another name to add to the pile of Day1/Day2 CB prospects.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/20...-for-nfl-draft

I am becoming a huge believer in Cam Smith of South Carolina. Not just because of his ability as a CB but he also steps up vs the run. Even on plays he’s not actually in on the tackle he does a good job turning the play back inside or getting in ‘backup’ position in case of a mis-tackle by a teammate. Then you watch him play all out on special teams too. He had a block vs Florida on a FG attempt.

I feel like Cam Smith is my #1. . Arthur Moats is a Christian Gonzalez fan. Moats’ view is Witherspoon is a man cover CB, Porter Jr is a zone cover CB, Gonzalez and Smith are better all around CBs.

I don’t think I would be disappointed with any of these CBs. If I make my list today I go:
    1. Cam Smith
    2. Christian Gonzalez
    3. Joey Porter Jr
    4. Devon Witherspoon
    5. Emmanuel Forbes

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I am becoming a huge believer in Cam Smith of South Carolina. Not just because of his ability as a CB but he also steps up vs the run. Even on plays he’s not actually in on the tackle he does a good job turning the play back inside or getting in ‘backup’ position in case of a mis-tackle by a teammate. Then you watch him play all out on special teams too. He had a block vs Florida on a FG attempt.

I feel like Cam Smith is my #1. . Arthur Moats is a Christian Gonzalez fan. Moats’ view is Witherspoon is a man cover CB, Porter Jr is a zone cover CB, Gonzalez and Smith are better all around CBs.

I don’t think I would be disappointed with any of these CBs. If I make my list today I go:
    1. Cam Smith
    2. Christian Gonzalez
    3. Joey Porter Jr
    4. Devon Witherspoon
    5. Emmanuel Forbes

That's a good list. I like all those guys.

We all know the top corners, but here are a couple sleepers that I like a little later in the draft.

Jaylon Jones Texas A&M, 6' 2" 205 lbs - good cover skills, length, ball skills, and really physical at the LOS and in run support. I think he's an underrated player. How he runs will be a big factor on his stock, but I like this guy as a dark horse a little later in the draft. Will probably get consideration as a safety as well with his build.

Noah Daniels TCU. 6' 210 lbs. Very athletic, and has the ability to press to take away receivers. He has some technique stuff to clean up and improve on, but he has a very high ceiling if he puts it together and improves. The big problem with him is his injury history. He has missed a ton of time. If the injuries were just some bad luck and they are behind him, he could be a steal.

Riley Moss Iowa 6' 1" 190 - He has great overall physical tools and is a bit of a freak athlete. Has the skills to play outside or slot. Shows excellent hips and natural coverage skills. He needs to get a better understanding of more complex coverages and route trees, but the physical package is there.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That's a good list. I like all those guys.

We all know the top corners, but here are a couple sleepers that I like a little later in the draft.

Jaylon Jones Texas A&M, 6' 2" 205 lbs - good cover skills, length, ball skills, and really physical at the LOS and in run support. I think he's an underrated player. How he runs will be a big factor on his stock, but I like this guy as a dark horse a little later in the draft. Will probably get consideration as a safety as well with his build.

Noah Daniels TCU. 6' 210 lbs. Very athletic, and has the ability to press to take away receivers. He has some technique stuff to clean up and improve on, but he has a very high ceiling if he puts it together and improves. The big problem with him is his injury history. He has missed a ton of time. If the injuries were just some bad luck and they are behind him, he could be a steal.

Riley Moss Iowa 6' 1" 190 - He has great overall physical tools and is a bit of a freak athlete. Has the skills to play outside or slot. Shows excellent hips and natural coverage skills. He needs to get a better understanding of more complex coverages and route trees, but the physical package is there.
    Riley Moss is name on most team’s big boards. I haven’t look into the other 2 guys you list there. On the to-do list now. I am in no way qualified, I just enjoy learning the players and trying to have some idea when the names get called on draft day.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Riley Moss is name on most team’s big boards. I haven’t look into the other 2 guys you list there. On the to-do list now. I am in no way qualified, I just enjoy learning the players and trying to have some idea when the names get called on draft day.

Everybody is qualified brother. That's why it's fun. Anyone can do it as long as they enjoy it.

I love looking for the diamonds in the rough. Players that have a chance to be a real steal. The combine will have a big affect on the draft position of these guys. Fair or not, a great 40 time or short shuttle can make teams fall in love and helps to validate what you saw on tape, or it can make teams completely back off of a player. Big board rankings are going to change based on their performances at the combine. Right now, we can only comment on what we've seen them do on a football field. I still believe real football is the most important part of an evaluation because you not only see what they can currently do. You also see things to make you believe you can see things they will eventually be able to do with hard work and coaching. But it's all a projection of a finished product.

Agreed. That’s pretty much why I’m higher on Cam Smith right now. He just seems to understand the position he plays and how to play team defense as well. I have no idea how he will test but on the field he is impressive.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Teams need three starting CBs in this NFL. They are screwed at CB as far as talent goes…if Sutton walks - they’ll need to fill 3 starters. Even that list in the original post, there’s not three quality starters there. They will get chewed up…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Teams need three starting CBs in this NFL. They are screwed at CB as far as talent goes…if Sutton walks - they’ll need to fill 3 starters. Even that list in the original post, there’s not three quality starters there. They will get chewed up…
    I agree.

I think first is to get Sutton re-signed.
    I honestly believe our pick at 17 will be either a OT or a CB, and one of our 2nd round picks will be the other.
    There are many names on the FA list that would look just great in black and gold. I will throw out Bobby McCain's name again. Or how about Patrick Peterson?

I agree.

I think first is to get Sutton re-signed.
    I honestly believe our pick at 17 will be either a OT or a CB, and one of our 2nd round picks will be the other.
    There are many names on the FA list that would look just great in black and gold. I will throw out Bobby McCain's name again. Or how about Patrick Peterson?
    Feel like Peterson is too old? A Joe Haden type signing wouldn’t be bad plus a CB in the draft that can start and then you have Wallace…that gives you a nice 4…

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Possible late round sleeper... Darrell Luther, Jr. S.Alabama