Thread: OL Prospects 2023 Draft Edition

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

OL Prospects 2023 Draft Edition

I think this is where most of the posters on this forum are looking early in the 2023 draft. Upgrades are needed. However, before we can form a plan of attack we must first discuss the current OL, capabilities, and what exactly needs to be improved upon. Not even bothering with the current backups on this OL. Looking at our starting 5 exclusively. UNLESS, there is someone waiting in the wings that 'you' really have an eye on. In that case please speak up!!!

Starting inside-out:

Mason Cole OC, 26yrs old, 6'5"-300LBs, has played nearly 100% of offensive snaps this season. 66.5 overall player grade by PFF. Contracted through 2024 season.
    My personal feeling on Cole is he will be here and enter TC as the starting OC. I do think the Steelers should draft a Center to battle for the role.

Kevin Dotson LG, 26yrs old, 6'4"-320LBs, has played 100% of offensive snaps this season. 66.9 overall player grade by PFF. Contracted through the 2023 season.
    I would be shocked if Dotson was cut this offseason, and I believe he will be the starting LG heading into TC next year. Last year so needs competition by draft or FA.

James Daniels RG, 25yrs old, 6'4"-300LBs, has played 100% of offensive snaps this season. 72.3 overall player ranking by PFF. Under contract through the 2024 season.
    I do not think Daniels will be replaced after this season. He started slow but has become what we thought he could be pre-season.

Dan Moore Jr LT, 24yrs old, 6'5"-315LBs, has played 100% of offensive snaps this season. 60.4 overall player grade by PFF. Under contract through 2024 season.
    While I am not as down on BigDan as most on here, I will agree this has become a weak point. I expect to see competition for the LT spot come TC.

Chukwuma Okorafor RT, 25yrs old, 6'6"-320LBs, has played 100% of offensive snaps this season. 61.7 overall player grade by PFF. Contracted through 2024 season.
    Chuks made $10M this season and is due another $10M next. Depending on the details of his contract, he will either be cut, re-negotiated, or we'll be stuck with him for another 2 seasons. I feel competition must be brought in at this position, and upgraded no matter the monetary cost.(not my money)

To put it in a nutshell the Steelers have 2 of the lowest ranked starting OTs in the NFL. Kevin Dotson and James Daniels are both ranked as solid NFL starters at OG, although Dotson scores much higher as a run blocker than in pass protection. I was unable to find any mention of Mason Cole on any list ranking league Centers.

After looking at all this I am convinced the Steelers must upgrade both OTs. It would also be a very good idea to upgrade the Center position, but not an immediate need.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: OL Prospects 2023 Draft Edition

Good points.

COLE: An upgrade is needed, but YES, he’s played better than expected.

DOTSON: Rookie year… steal. Since then… injured, ineffective at times, dominant at other times. I’d move Moore to LG.

DANIELS: Not as good as I had hoped, but good enough (if the rest of the O-line is upgraded).

MOORE: Has great games, and then reeeally bad games. I was so high on him as a rookie, and there are flashes of brilliance (but also some games where he looks awful). I’d move him to LG.

CHUKKS: He’s not going anywhere.

SUMMATION:
    In order of who needs to be drafted (or acquired as a free agent):

LT
    LG (which could be Moore)
    C
    RG
    RT

Who I’d get in the off-season:

LT: best free agent available
    LG: move Moore there
    C: late R2
    RG: stick with Daniels
    RT: draft someone to compete with Chukks… maybe even as early as 34ish (which is where you can get a really good right tackle, but maybe not a left tackle).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The LT FA market looks pretty slim for 2023 unless we are suddenly willing to overpay.

I think Paris Johnson could be in play in the 1st.
    Maybe Ryan Hayes in the 2nd round.
    The Steelers sent scouts to the Mich/OSU game.

I think the Guard play has been good enough not to warrant an immediate upgrade.
    I don't know what to do about the Center position. Just not enough info. I would like to see competition with Mason Cole and a rookie. Maybe Patterson or Stromberg?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The LT FA market looks pretty slim for 2023 unless we are suddenly willing to overpay.

I think Paris Johnson could be in play in the 1st.
    Maybe Ryan Hayes in the 2nd round.
    The Steelers sent scouts to the Mich/OSU game.

I think the Guard play has been good enough not to warrant an immediate upgrade.
    I don't know what to do about the Center position. Just not enough info. I would like to see competition with Mason Cole and a rookie. Maybe Patterson or Stromberg?
    Ugh… a little steep.

Johnson didn’t have the best game. On the other hand, the guards for Michigan looked good.

Both. Patterson at the beginning of R3, and Stromberg in R4. Competition for center and one of the guard spots.

Check my math on this. From searching what picks the Steelers currently have for the draft, I find a 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd, a 4th, and 3 7ths.
    https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022...gs-draft-picks

If correct, I can definitely see BPA in 1st.
    Some combo of OT/DL/DB/ILB in 2nd.
    My hope is by now we have drafted an OT, so someone from one of these groups in the 3rd/4th; DL/DB/ILB/C/G.
    With 3 7ths whatever is left plus add in QB.

I like a Paris Johnson, Patterson/Stromberg combo, or even Schmitz if the plan is to immediately replace Cole.. I could be good with that. Some have brought up the LT at PSU as a candidate. He is just finishing his sophomore season. He has only started 8/9 games. I think he will be a project but will get over-drafted due to the league being so OL starved right now.

*What are your thoughts on Jaelyn Duncan? He has started close to 30 games at LT at Maryland, played in 41 games. Yep, I get that 'not another Maryland guy' vibe every time I read on a prospect from there too. The guy is indeed huge at 6'6" and 320LBs. He was recruited by Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Mich, OSU, PSU. Just have to see how he tests. You know Tomlin already knows about him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...g-report-2023/

Jaelyn Duncan 6'6"-320LBs. 3 year starter at LT for Maryland. Extremely athletic even for his size. Can he become a franchise LT or is he another Chuks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUsGieoNs0

I don’t know much about Duncan, but mock drafters like him because he has been CONSISTENT. Some tackles look good for a year, but then don’t pan out in the NFL. From what I’ve heard, Duncan isn’t flashy, isn’t a Day 1 guy, and has a ceiling that is only “very good, but not great”… but his floor is “pretty good”.

As in: low risk, good reward.

Some guys I like for Round 2.

early R2 (Bears pick)
    -O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

late R2
    -Jarrett Patterson, C/OG, Notre Dame
    -Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC
    -Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio St.
    -John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Some guys I like for Round 2.

early R2 (Bears pick)
    -O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

late R2
    -Jarrett Patterson, C/OG, Notre Dame
    -Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC
    -Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio St.
    -John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
    I was hoping Jarrett would have come out last draft. Talk about consistency. 3yr starter at ND without giving up a sack.

I think Schmitz is OC#1 in this draft. At least that's what I see on the big boards at this point. I don't think you can go wrong with Centers from the Big10.

Another Big10 Center on my radar is Wisconsin's Joe Tippman. 6'6" is huge for a Center, but he tests with elite flexibility and mobility for his size.

And I refuse to leave Ricky Stromberg off this list. Another one of those players that show consistency game after game.

I was hoping Jarrett would have come out last draft. Talk about consistency. 3yr starter at ND without giving up a sack.

I think Schmitz is OC#1 in this draft. At least that's what I see on the big boards at this point. I don't think you can go wrong with Centers from the Big10.

Another Big10 Center on my radar is Wisconsin's Joe Tippman. 6'6" is huge for a Center, but he tests with elite flexibility and mobility for his size.

And I refuse to leave Ricky Stromberg off this list. Another one of those players that show consistency game after game.
    Stromberg is still on my list... just not in R2.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Stromberg is still on my list... just not in R2.
    I still have no idea where these guys will shuffle out. Last draft only 6 Centers were drafted in total, and 8 in 2021. I'm not sure how that gets counted since the Eagles have Landon Dickerson playing LG beside Jason Kelce. I would assume he is the future OC once Kelce retires and that has been the plan all along. Was Dickerson counted as a Center or a Guard at draft-time?

I say that because a player like Jarrett that has played Center and both Guard spots may end up being drafted first, OR a team that really needs that true Center may draft Schmitz or Stromberg.

Also, I still don't know if the Steelers will be looking to upgrade Mason Cole this offseason. I'm not finding a ton of praise for him and his play, but not a lot of hate and spittle either. I do know he is an upgrade over Green/Hassenauer.

I still have no idea where these guys will shuffle out. Last draft only 6 Centers were drafted in total, and 8 in 2021. I'm not sure how that gets counted since the Eagles have Landon Dickerson playing LG beside Jason Kelce. I would assume he is the future OC once Kelce retires and that has been the plan all along. Was Dickerson counted as a Center or a Guard at draft-time?

I say that because a player like Jarrett that has played Center and both Guard spots may end up being drafted first, OR a team that really needs that true Center may draft Schmitz or Stromberg.

Also, I still don't know if the Steelers will be looking to upgrade Mason Cole this offseason. I'm not finding a ton of praise for him and his play, but not a lot of hate and spittle either. I do know he is an upgrade over Green/Hassenauer.
    Dickerson was drafted to play center… but, Kelce refuses to retire (and is still the best “all around” center in the NFL).

The Steelers seem to like Cole (but I don’t think they love him). He’s an upgrade over last season, but he’s also replaceable. I don’t think center is a priority, but I also think they will indeed draft one by the end of R4. If the right guy is there in R2, I could see it happening. But, I could just as easily see them waiting until R4.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Hopefully, we don't see another late round guard reached for in the 3rd round again... pathetic

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Wow Schmitz was as advertised in the senior bowl, but the other C Oluwatimi from Michigan was a wall. And small school Cody Mauch played LT, then C, then RT. And stole kids lunch money at all 3. That was pretty good!