Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerry Dulac on the Mike Tomlin to bench Mitch for Kenny in week 4

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Gerry Dulac on the Mike Tomlin to bench Mitch for Kenny in week 4

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Gerry Dulac on the Mike Tomlin to bench Mitch for Kenny in week 4

Just his opinion.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

I can only speak for myself, but when losing a 2 time SB QB, I never ever figured we would make any REAL noise this season. If Kenny is the guy, play him now, take the lumps and develop "your guy". Question is...do we have the coaching to "develop" Pickett into a 2 time SB QB? I feel like he has the skill set with a proper QB guru...we have zero gurus...anywhere....for any position. I throw NO shade on Pickett and I agree with the call to start him. I just wish we have someone to groom him properly. We don't.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Starting Mitch to begin with was the blunder. As soon as Kenny was drafted in April, it should've been all bets were off on Mitch being the starter and he was going into a backup role. Unless you have a proven future HOF'er guy like Ben at QB, there is no reason to not start the growth process with the heir as soon as possible.

If the 2022 Steelers are going to suck, suck with the youngster so he can grow and learn, not with a "bridge" guy who is clearly not the long-term answer. Fortunately, after four games of wasting our time, Tomlin decided to finally move to the rebuild. Kenny is making progress, but imagine where he would've been if he started back in Week 1 or 2.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but when losing a 2 time SB QB, I never ever figured we would make any REAL noise this season. If Kenny is the guy, play him now, take the lumps and develop "your guy". Question is...do we have the coaching to "develop" Pickett into a 2 time SB QB? I feel like he has the skill set with a proper QB guru...we have zero gurus...anywhere....for any position. I throw NO shade on Pickett and I agree with the call to start him. I just wish we have someone to groom him properly. We don't.
    Good post. As long as we have that mess for a coaching staff KP is on his own to figure it out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thank goodness I can’t display what I’m sure is just a gem from Dulac.

Anyone got a two sentence summary of this undoubted masterpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Thank goodness I can’t display what I’m sure is just a gem from Dulac.

Anyone got a two sentence summary of this undoubted masterpiece?
    Kenny's development was put ahead of the team competing and Mike Tomlin should've just stuck with Mitch because reasons.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It was wrong of the Steelers to imagine that the tag team of Canada and Sullivan could do anything with MT. When have those two guys ever developed a successful NFL qb? They should’ve already known based on Ben’s experience with Canada that they needed a qb that already had some success (not MT who was run out of Chicago and couldn’t get a starting gig anywhere else. Blame ends with Tomlin, Colbert and probably Khan

Now KP gets to deal with the Canada effect

And it’s becoming more and more apparent that Ben covered for an inconsistent, often inept, understaffed and poorly paid coaching staff

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wow…he’s a glorified idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Kenny's development was put ahead of the team competing and Mike Tomlin should've just stuck with Mitch because reasons.
    Yup. A masterpiece.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

yeah because we'd be 10-0 if we started mitch, oh wait

btw isn't part of developing a QB getting him real game experience? You can't make the HoF from the bench.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Gerry is so far off base with this. His opinion supports his own narrative but the truth is the Trubisky sucked and played awful. He acts like a credible starter was replaced in order to play Kenny. Gerry is a cartoon figure sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    yeah because we'd be 10-0 if we started mitch, oh wait

btw isn't part of developing a QB getting him real game experience? You can't make the HoF from the bench.
    Some guys can sit for a year if they had a capable veteran in front of him. Mahomes had Alex Smith, who was willing to mentor him. But more often than not, the rookie, especially your franchise heir apparent, has to go in and take his lumps. Imagine if the Colts wasted a year on Curtis Painter after drafting Andrew Luck first overall in 2012. Indy tanked for Luck and was their guy from the onset and they committed to him all the way through that offseason.

It just can't be stated enough just how badly Mike Tomlin botched this whole thing.

And it’s becoming more and more apparent that Ben covered for an inconsistent, often inept, understaffed and poorly paid coaching staff
    Tomlin rode Ben's talent to his success and in his first year ever without him, puts up a stinker, even after Kevin Colbert set him up well with a new first round Quarterback before he retired.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

These reporter guys crack me up. Everyone, well just about everyone, was calling for Trubisky to be replaced by Pickett. Now they're changing their tune. We're rebuilding for crying out loud. I don't know if anyone is as bored as I am watching the Steelers' games this year, but it is what it is... for now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Gerry Dulac on the Mike Tomlin to bench Mitch for Kenny in week 4

It’s not even like Pickett is playing bad…lol. This is the answer you give going from Flacco to Wilson and running yourself out of the playoffs…

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Wow…he’s a glorified idiot.
    yeah, Fillipponi lost me at "Respected Steelers insider" ⁦

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Better to figure out if KP is the QB of future now than kick the can down road with MT. This is the worst KP will ever be. IMO he’s only going to get better, how good can he get is the big ?. One big problem is Steelers don’t have a weapon that can take game over. Like a Kelce, Debo, or Derrick Henry who can dominate. It’s more dependent on offensive scheme and spreading ball around. There’s talent but no one is unstoppable. The team just isn’t good right now. If only TJ could play offense.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Better to figure out if KP is the QB of future now than kick the can down road with MT. This is the worst KP will ever be. IMO he’s only going to get better, how good can he get is the big ?. One big problem is Steelers don’t have a weapon that can take game over. Like a Kelce, Debo, or Derrick Henry who can dominate. It’s more dependent on offensive scheme and spreading ball around. There’s talent but no one is unstoppable. The team just isn’t good right now. If only TJ could play offense.
    The only part that I’ll (sort of) disagree with is the lack of weapons. While you’re correct: Muth and Pickens aren’t there yet (too young), those two are destined to be perennial All Pros.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s not even like Pickett is playing bad…lol. This is the answer you give going from Flacco to Wilson and running yourself out of the playoffs…
    He kinda is playing bad. We just overlook it because he’s a rookie. But Trubisky was playing equally bad and he’s a veteran. Canada has a lot to do with all of it.

Kenny’s QBR: 43.0

Other notable rookie QBRs:

Josh Allen: 49.8
    Joe Burrow: 48.5
    Matthew Stafford: 37.1
    Jalen Hurts 33.8
    Justin Fields 26.4

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    yeah, Fillipponi lost me at "Respected Steelers insider" ⁦
    This

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He kinda is playing bad. We just overlook it because he’s a rookie. But Trubisky was playing equally bad and he’s a veteran. Canada has a lot to do with all of it.
    Number wise yes. But decision making and the way he holds himself it’s not bad for a rookie at all.

Kenny's statistics and numbers are "bad", but looking at him and the tape, he's not playing "bad" at all. Pickett has had a lot of "near-misses" and "almosts" this season, with only a few legitimately "bad" moments.

And to show just how much statistics can lie, 2019 Mason Rudolph has better numbers than 2022 Kenny Pickett.

I’ll disagree with those saying Kenny isn’t playing bad. He’s making fewer mistakes but he’s not playing good. I’m not sure why there’s a need to defend that he is. If it was anyone else people would be calling for his job. He’s a rookie and he’s definitely the kind of rookie that needs to develop, unlike a Justin Herbert type. I’m slightly optimistic.

Pickett is below average(still much better that his stats) but he is not as bad as Zach Wilson is right now.Pickett is in a awful situation with maybe the worst OC in steelers history.....The steelers defense give up also 35 points or more in 3 of his 6 starts and he had a brutal schedule in the first 4 starts

I’ll disagree with those saying Kenny isn’t playing bad. He’s making fewer mistakes but he’s not playing good. I’m not sure why there’s a need to defend that he is. If it was anyone else people would be calling for his job. He’s a rookie and he’s definitely the kind of rookie that needs to develop, unlike a Justin Herbert type. I’m slightly optimistic.
    I think people aren't shitting on Kenny because the tape doesn't match that narrative and the stats. We've seen QB's have good statistical games but you know they aren't all that good, and we've seen good QB's with bad stats, but you know they're still good. Ben had games where he threw multiple picks, but you could see something there that tells you he's a guy to build around. Peyton Manning was an turnover machine his first year. But you could see the tools for something great.

2019 Mason Rudolph went 5-3 as a starter, threw more touchdowns than interceptions and had one truly "bad" game, so surely Mason was the answer at QB, right? But he wound up benched for Duck Hodges and was never once considered for starter when Ben returned. Why is that? Because underneath the stats, and look at the tape, Mason was bad and rarely looked comfortable. He's not mobile. He threw a lot of hospital passes. Stiff and Robotic movement. Slow processing. His field awareness was nonexistent. Was a complete statue in the pocket. Had no footwork nor used his eyes and Consistently stared down his targets and he could not beat stacked fronts. He was extremely limited in what he could do. As soon as NFL Defenses figured him out, he consistently locked up. Some guys have the ability to start in the NFL, and others just don't.

A team will put up with a rookie who has fearless ability but makes a lot of mistakes, over a guy who makes no mistakes but shows nothing. Mistakes and timing can be ironed out and remedied, but ability cannot.

For every missed throw, you see Kenny Pickett drop a dime. For every poorly timed read, you see Kenny Pickett show advanced ability to hold and move defenders with his eyes. For every prematurely bailed pocket and sack, you see Kenny make plays when the play breaks down. Does Kenny need to improve? Absolutely. But you can see the tools and his play hasn't earned benching.
    Last edited by Edman; 11-24-2022 at 04:55 PM.

I 100% wouldn’t bench him. He’s got to go through this and I’m perfectly fine watching incremental improvements. I’m just not going to say he’s playing good.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I said in the beginning it would be a mistake to play Kenny with the system we have ...its so bad it isnt going to help him but it could hurt him in the long run ...I am not sure but it sounds like a few of you are starting to come around to what I was saying all along
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now